EA Forums - Banner

Rivals problem.

Prev1
Hi, i have an issue im wondering if simeone can help with? I took several years off from this game til this year and now im back. Playing HUT, i can demolish the a.i. in squad battles but no matter what when i play online in rivals, its someone way out of my skill league and i get stomped. Isnt the point of rivals so that competition is close?

Im talking im getting avg or 6 goals scored on me, And their goalie is a brick wall. Ill outshoot and outplay them in every facet of the game, and give up only 8 to 12 shots yet the other guy regularly scores 5 or more goals. What the heck am i doing wrong? I have noticed though that the goals my opponent scores resemble nothing of a hockey play. Theyll skate in circles with one guy until they get a lane, take whatever weak shot they can, rinse , repeat...sad part is they score a lot this way.

Meanwhile at the other end of the ice, im cycling, setting up 1 timers, passing, getting the d and goalie moving around, and get a nice wide open 1 timer from 3 feet in front of the net but either their goalie will call scottie from the ss enterprise to teleport him to the puck....or ill miss a wide open net from 3 feet away...and miss it by 5 feet.

Can someone please explain this? This was in 2005-2014 when i quit playing....youre telling me 6 years and a whole console generation later, they cant find a fix?

Someone please give some tips to beating human players? The a.i. is a cakewalk but it seems as though even a 5 year old playing this game would dominate me.

Replies

• Edit: i meant to say i play squad battles on superstar, and handle the a.i. fairly easily
  • Man I go through the same thing, dominate 95 overall sb teams on superstar like win 8-2 then I play rivals and get dusted half the games in division 2 not even 1. Same think guys know how to bounce off every hit by turning. They use 1 guy
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    You can play some good offensive hockey online, it is just not the most effective way to score. Most of the players that you face will just use glitched goals. They learn all the flaws of the game and exploit them. You can block most of these by not playing real defensive and just positioning your player to block the shots. It is boring to do and take some practice to know where exactly to be for every situations, but it is possible and probably the only way to win (unless you can score more goals, basketball style of who is going to miss first).

On offence, the best trick that I could tell you is to pass super fast. They won’t know what happening and you can still play realistically (just faster).

On defence, it is to not do too much and focus on positioning mostly. If you see that you can poke or stick lift, go for it, but if you’re not sure, just keep focusing on blocking passing and shooting lanes. It is better to let the puck come to you than going for it. They are lacking creativity and always do the same plays, so you just position your player and wait until they give you the puck. Really boring, I know. After a while, you’ll be able to poke more and all.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4652 posts EA Community Manager
    @DetroitPride2114

Maybe try to slow down your game and work on passing a bit like what @boumbidiboum suggested. Force the opponent to come after you to open up a lane. Send the puck down the ice for a race, get setup behind the net and start looking at where all your skaters are positioned. Pass around a few times and slap it in.

The game can feel very fast and intense at times. If you feel like you're trying to skate up the ice as quickly as possible that is when you might need to slow things down.

Good luck!
  • [quote="EA_Blueberry;c-2116697"]@DetroitPride2114

Maybe try to slow down your game and work on passing a bit like what @boumbidiboum suggested. Force the opponent to come after you to open up a lane. Send the puck down the ice for a race, get setup behind the net and start looking at where all your skaters are positioned. Pass around a few times and slap it in.

The game can feel very fast and intense at times. If you feel like you're trying to skate up the ice as quickly as possible that is when you might need to slow things down.

Good luck! [/quote]

Well thats the problem. I set up realistically, cycle realistically and have amazing plays but i cannot beat their goalie in them. But, hell come shoot from just inside the blue line a very slow shot and my goalie will drop butterfly and open the 5 hole right up for the goal. This is not uncommon either.
  • The game doesn’t feel fast at all it’s the opposite. People skate in circles. Positioning is key for d but it’s getting to the point now where everyone has 95 overall guys who pass right through your well positioned d or always seem to find a tiny hole for a shot. I honestly prefer the threes arcade style of hitting. Everyone gets knocked of the puck if there’s a hit made doesn’t matter if they are circling.
  • Well I am the opposite, not that I kill it by any means against a person. But I have a much better chance at winning against a person than I do against comp. I dont even think of trying All-Star. I would say I can do well against pro comp. But if I try against higher ranks, the computer always does like a 4 pass at top speed and hammer it into the net. I cant stop their cycle.
    When i play against a person I do like to slow it down a bit. It seems to let your players set up better.
    Saying that i also run into opponents who are absolutely all over me and I can't slow it down.
    So in the end I do prefer playing a human but I am happy with all the modes that are in the game to win coins or packs.
  • I think you’ve played the computer so much that you’re use to their tendacies.

I know I can’t play online after playing the cpu because I know where they’ll go while a human is unpredictable
  • EA_Aljo
    3061 posts EA Community Manager
    Well I am the opposite, not that I kill it by any means against a person. But I have a much better chance at winning against a person than I do against comp. I dont even think of trying All-Star. I would say I can do well against pro comp. But if I try against higher ranks, the computer always does like a 4 pass at top speed and hammer it into the net. I cant stop their cycle.
    When i play against a person I do like to slow it down a bit. It seems to let your players set up better.
    Saying that i also run into opponents who are absolutely all over me and I can't slow it down.
    So in the end I do prefer playing a human but I am happy with all the modes that are in the game to win coins or packs.

Defending against AI teams in your zone is all about cutting off their lanes for passes/shots. This is the only time I can get behind skill zoning as they whip around passes very quickly. So, playing the carrier is going to leave those open lanes they're looking for. Take control of a defender and do your best to block incoming shots while your AI go for turnovers. Change your D pressure to normal or less. As long as you're able to block their shots, you're going to stand a much better chance at winning those games.
  • Well thats the problem. I set up realistically, cycle realistically and have amazing plays but i cannot beat their goalie in them. But, hell come shoot from just inside the blue line a very slow shot and my goalie will drop butterfly and open the 5 hole right up for the goal. This is not uncommon either.

This game doesn't reward cycling nowadays. Figure skating, the various glitch shots, and cross-crease one-timers are rewarded. It's sad, but it's no longer a hockey sim, it's an arcade game aimed at kids now.
  • This game is poor interpretation and representation of hockey ,there is nothing realistic about this game
  • EA_Aljo
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Well thats the problem. I set up realistically, cycle realistically and have amazing plays but i cannot beat their goalie in them. But, hell come shoot from just inside the blue line a very slow shot and my goalie will drop butterfly and open the 5 hole right up for the goal. This is not uncommon either.

This game doesn't reward cycling nowadays. Figure skating, the various glitch shots, and cross-crease one-timers are rewarded. It's sad, but it's no longer a hockey sim, it's an arcade game aimed at kids now.

Cycling is still a good way to create scoring chances. That's the style I personally play as I like to make a lot of passes and pull defenders out of position. Cross-crease one timers are up to you to defend. You need to anticipate them and cut off the passing lane or take out the passer. I prefer cutting off the lane to the shooter. If you chase for hits, you're going to leave guys wide open on the back door.

What glitch shots are you experiencing? The short side isn't a glitch. Shooting far side from the slot isn't a glitch either. What shot are players exploiting that you're considering a glitch?
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

Cycling is still a good way to create scoring chances. That's the style I personally play as I like to make a lot of passes and pull defenders out of position. Cross-crease one timers are up to you to defend. You need to anticipate them and cut off the passing lane or take out the passer. I prefer cutting off the lane to the shooter. If you chase for hits, you're going to leave guys wide open on the back door.

What glitch shots are you experiencing? The short side isn't a glitch. Shooting far side from the slot isn't a glitch either. What shot are players exploiting that you're considering a glitch?

I think that the main problem is more that the goalies are not programmed to move realistically. They are slower in their movements (skating from one side to the other, just moving slower in general) than real goalies, which force them to leave early to get to the other side to block the future openings. It then opens shorts side to get scored on. Why don’t they react faster and make it more about their timing/vision/reading of plays (when they will leave to get to the other side) like real goalies. You could still see all those goals, but it would feel a lot more realistic at least. It would be only based on those three factors (so the goalie stats would matter more).

I don’t know if it was tried and unsuccessful... but I think people would be complaining less since it would feel realistic. A goalie can make mistakes, just not the same all the time (like leaving early). Maybe I am wrong, just wondering if it was tried or not...

Yes, cycling creates great scoring chances but their goalie stands on his head while mine lets in 4 softies on 8 shots from the exact same terrible scoring spots. I can outplay people online all day and i still lose. Not because theyre better at hockey...no, its because theyre better at exploiting the goalies. I refuse to do this as its boring. So basically, to compete i have to play cheap? No thanks. Ill probably take another extended break from this game after this year and hope that next gen they can actually create a game that rewards hockey plays.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Yes, cycling creates great scoring chances but their goalie stands on his head while mine lets in 4 softies on 8 shots from the exact same terrible scoring spots. I can outplay people online all day and i still lose. Not because theyre better at hockey...no, its because theyre better at exploiting the goalies. I refuse to do this as its boring. So basically, to compete i have to play cheap? No thanks. Ill probably take another extended break from this game after this year and hope that next gen they can actually create a game that rewards hockey plays.

If they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

If you're constantly outplaying your opponent and losing, you may need to look at how you're outplaying them. Many think that more shots and TOA mean you're outplaying them. Just because you put 40+ shots on net, it doesn't mean you're outplaying them. You need to watch how their goalie is moving and notice what holes he's opening up. Many people just shoot and hope for the best. They constantly go for cross-crease one Ts or short side snipes without noticing if the goalie is actually covering those angles. You also raise your accuracy if the puck is settled. If you just got done turning, dekeing or just received a pass, your accuracy is lower because the puck isn't settled.

Unfortunately, without seeing video of the game, we can't tell exactly what's happening. I definitely get how easy it is to assume you outplayed them. Chances are probably good you did, but you still gave them chances to score and they capitalized on them. That also happens in real-world hockey.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1505 posts Member
    edited February 2020

If they are repeatedly taking shots from terrible scoring spots, why aren't you covering them? You need to adjust your defense if you see a pattern with their play. That's part of the skill with playing this game. Just like it's up to a coach to tell his team that they're letting them take too many shots from particular areas of the ice. Yes, you want to force them to positions where they are less likely to score, but that doesn't mean they won't. You still need to defend them.

If you're constantly outplaying your opponent and losing, you may need to look at how you're outplaying them. Many think that more shots and TOA mean you're outplaying them. Just because you put 40+ shots on net, it doesn't mean you're outplaying them. You need to watch how their goalie is moving and notice what holes he's opening up. Many people just shoot and hope for the best. They constantly go for cross-crease one Ts or short side snipes without noticing if the goalie is actually covering those angles. You also raise your accuracy if the puck is settled. If you just got done turning, dekeing or just received a pass, your accuracy is lower because the puck isn't settled.

Unfortunately, without seeing video of the game, we can't tell exactly what's happening. I definitely get how easy it is to assume you outplayed them. Chances are probably good you did, but you still gave them chances to score and they capitalized on them. That also happens in real-world hockey.

Only commenting on one point. If someone's taking shots from terrible scoring areas, that's because the good areas are being covered. Perhaps the goalie should do their job and stop the shots that are coming from the horrible scoring areas. There's far too many shots I've seen where the goalie should be stopping them almost every time, but are often goals, because "goalies gotta get sniped".

It feels like screening your goalie and blocking shots is more effective than taking away the prime scoring areas and letting your goalie take the easy shots. The easy shots are easy goals because the goalies don't seem to be able or programmed to handle loose pucks, or flubbed shots.

I am covering them. Youre telling me that i should NEVER have shots go through? Are you blaming ME because of how terribly the goalies play on those softies....THOSE are the shots any coach in the world would be OK with you letting get through because even a 10 year old goalie would stop them. You cant stop them from EVER shooting. I limit them to low shots and mostly shots from far away that they have to pray even hit the net based on how theyre covered but nope, its my fault any shots hit the net at all....not the goalies fault for literally moving out of the way or opening his 5 hole. You want video? I have tons

When i say i outplay them....if yoy watch how i play, youd think you're watching wed night hockey on nbc. I play as real as it gets but thats not rewarded with goals. Their goalie plays the ways goalies should play ALL THE TIME. The problem is that too often, random shots that have no business going in, do....while ill make 3,4,5 passes to pull the d and goalie out of position but the goalie will make the most miraculous save. I guess thats what makes me the most upset...why am i penalized for playing hockey in a hockey game, yet one man shows and weak shots can win games?

I cycle a lot as well, it's generally works well against the CPU in SBs, but it's rarely rewarded online.

I don't disagree about how to defend cross-creases. My complaint is that one-timers are far too easy to pull off and way, way, way too accurate, particularly this year with the new shooting animations. In real hockey, unless the pass is in just the right place, with perfect timing, a one-timer rarely will be on net (or missed entirely). Even when perfect, one-timers are not as accurate as non-one-timers.

As for glitch shots, I'm talking about shots that always go in, the goalies just don't react properly to certain shots from certain places. As others have pointed out in this thread, it's more of a sympton of the terrible goalie logic than a true "glitch", but these shots get exploited just the same.

Another type of shot I consider a glitch is when you knock the puck loose from the puck carrier, he regains control and instantaneously fires a perfectly accurate shot just inside the far post. Likewise, shots taken instantaneously after an interception being perfectly accurate. I had the CPU score one on me tonight where he had to reach behind himself to intercept my outlet pass, and in the same motion fired a perfect wrister inside the far post. Shooting milliseconds after gaining or regaining control of the puck shouldn't be so accurate, especially when the player has to contort himself to get control.