EA Forums - Banner

Toxic community has ruined this game. The fun is completely gone. Watch this

Replies

• Moxrox84 wrote: »
    We need AI that can sauce the puck from time to time when passing.

We need a new blocking animation or two that don't result in tripping penalties

We need less tripping penalties from sticks around skates (it doesn't happen like this in real hockey)

If CPU starts doing sauce then people will complain the CPU is OP.

Yes to new blocking animations.

The extreme vast majority of tripping calls are human error. I will agree that poking is extremely basic but with that said, it is easy to know what you can and can't do. Majority of the time people poke in the wrong situations.
  • There will always be room for improvements but I feel poke checks are in a pretty good spot since the last sensitivity tweak.

Real NHLers are strong enough to continue skating after getting tapped by a stick but in a strict game sense, punishing players for sloppy whacks is good.

I'd love to get some new block animations - auto blocks are unreliable at best and manul blocks completely halt your flow
  • Moxrox84
    303 posts Member
    Moxrox84 wrote: »

We need less tripping penalties from sticks around skates (it doesn't happen like this in real hockey)

The extreme vast majority of tripping calls are human error. I will agree that poking is extremely basic but with that said, it is easy to know what you can and can't do. Majority of the time people poke in the wrong situations.

I get that, but the amount of tripping calls is way proportional to reality. Sticks bounce of skates and legs all the time. This game needs to emulate that in that they have way less of an affect on the skating of the player.

I get that, but the amount of tripping calls is way proportional to reality. Sticks bounce of skates and legs all the time. This game needs to emulate that in that they have way less of an affect on the skating of the player.

I'm pretty sure most people agree that the normal r1 poke is not ideal at the moment but it should be a last resort anyway. There's still a lot of players who never use the actual skill stick part and only poke spam like a madman and they should be punished for that. You should use the skill stick instead. I almost never actually poke in this game, I just use the skill stick to annoy and limit the options of the puck carrier. I think that aspect of the game is actually pretty decent at the moment. You can get pretty crafty with the defensive skill stick. You can 'hook' the puck away from behind or slam the puck carrier's stick when they are shooting etc.

I think it's better for the overall flow of the game to keep poking as it is. If your stick touches the legs of the puck carrier it's tripping and it's always your fault with no gray area. I would like to see some improvents on the stick/puck on stick collision physics though. the outcomes of pokes are sometimes really weird.

I feel like the biggest physics issues in this game are still in the hitting. How the player attributes seem to override the physics sometimes i.e. a 95ovr Gretzky bouncing off of hits like a rubber ball without ever losing puck possesion or staggering.

Playing HUT with 80-85 ovr players againt full teams of +90ovr players highlights this issue really well. Hitting is basically useless unless you can land a perfect hit everytime while the +90 overalls can solve a breakaway with one cross check to the back which by the way is never called a penalty.

It's not perfect but it's probably about as good as it's going to get. Or close.

You won't find a bigger opponent of the state of trips last couple of years than myself. I now only average about 2 every 10 games. And I would bet half of them are intentional frustration penalties when I get sick of morons that can't do anything but turn it over every time the touch it.

So I think there's still room for improvement I can't really complain any more.
  • Toxic players and community is the product of how EA has made the game and the way they wanted played ,hut champs all about glitch wraps and self saucing passing ,but hey it creates the skill gap right EA
  • EA_Aljo
    2706 posts EA Community Manager
    Toxic players and community is the product of how EA has made the game and the way they wanted played ,hut champs all about glitch wraps and self saucing passing ,but hey it creates the skill gap right EA

Self sauce isn't as good as people think it is. It doesn't give you a speed boost and it only really helps the guys that go against someone that doesn't play manual defense. So, if it's something that you're getting burned by, switch to a player that can defend them.

For stopping wraps, better behind the net defense is needed. You can see when they're going for it. Again, if you control your defenders and don't skill zone, you'll stand a very good chance of stopping them.

These things aren't in the game because that's how we want it played. If people are finding exploits, that's unintended. I know the dev team is well aware of these issues so it's possible we'll see changes in the future.

Well, I get what you mean and yes, it is disproportionate to real life, but think about the trips you have seen in the game. 95% of trips are pokes from behind or when you are less than within a stick's distance. I see scrubs poking players that are barely a foot away and couldn't even tell you how many are from behind.

If you are using the DSS and keeping a stick's distance from your opponent, you won't trip him a vast majority of the time.
  • The whole point of DSS is to force the attacker to move away, not for the defender to constntly collapse to keep optimal stick length. D is at a disadvantage since the attacker knows he can just go into the stick
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    The whole point of DSS is to force the attacker to move away, not for the defender to constntly collapse to keep optimal stick length. D is at a disadvantage since the attacker knows he can just go into the stick

Pretty much, yes. The issue is that this game is built around stick defense primarily, when real hockey is mostly about body positioning in conjunction with stick defense. It's why most of the player base insists on trying to mash poke or DSS "wiggle stick". The only real body defense is hitting.

We should have a function like the "Take Charge" in NBA 2K which lets your player contain the ball handler with LT. He can still get around you if he forces you (via maneuvering or dekes) to position yourself badly or if he has enough physical strength to overpower you. We need to have something like that on defense which allows us to contain a puck carrier WITHOUT the need to possibly get called for a penalty because we can't control the depth of our sweeps or pokes.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    The whole point of DSS is to force the attacker to move away, not for the defender to constntly collapse to keep optimal stick length. D is at a disadvantage since the attacker knows he can just go into the stick

Pretty much, yes. The issue is that this game is built around stick defense primarily, when real hockey is mostly about body positioning in conjunction with stick defense. It's why most of the player base insists on trying to mash poke or DSS "wiggle stick". The only real body defense is hitting.

We should have a function like the "Take Charge" in NBA 2K which lets your player contain the ball handler with LT. He can still get around you if he forces you (via maneuvering or dekes) to position yourself badly or if he has enough physical strength to overpower you. We need to have something like that on defense which allows us to contain a puck carrier WITHOUT the need to possibly get called for a penalty because we can't control the depth of our sweeps or pokes.

Like I suggested awhile back. Would be nice if you could go for a "minor" hit but the intent is to carry the puck carrier to the boards to pin him. The hit essentially is only to prevent him from blowing past you while the main goal of the play is to carry and pin.

• This game allows the same person to get 10 penalties in a game. Didn't get kicked obviously.

3rd drop-in in a row like this. Fun stuff!

• This game allows the same person to get 10 penalties in a game. Didn't get kicked obviously.

But how many hits did he have? That's probably the only stat that kept him in the game.
  • Moxrox84
    303 posts Member

Well, I get what you mean and yes, it is disproportionate to real life, but think about the trips you have seen in the game. 95% of trips are pokes from behind or when you are less than within a stick's distance. I see scrubs poking players that are barely a foot away and couldn't even tell you how many are from behind.

If you are using the DSS and keeping a stick's distance from your opponent, you won't trip him a vast majority of the time.

I get all that. I really do. But, there is no valid reason that every poke that gets near a skate results in a tripping. We're not talking about a most pokes, it's every poke that gets near or hits a leg/skate. That's no where near realistic, and it can really hamper the flow of a game.

Yes, "get good" solves a lot of problems, but this is one that needs EA's help. I have watched replays in which my stick was 3 inches away from the skate and he goes down. It needs to be dialed back.

I get all that. I really do. But, there is no valid reason that every poke that gets near a skate results in a tripping. We're not talking about a most pokes, it's every poke that gets near or hits a leg/skate. That's no where near realistic, and it can really hamper the flow of a game.

Yes, "get good" solves a lot of problems, but this is one that needs EA's help. I have watched replays in which my stick was 3 inches away from the skate and he goes down. It needs to be dialed back.

Pokes being as they are, I kind of agree how it works for the most part. However, when you are just waving the DSS around without being a maniac about it and considering it is with only one hand, it should be alot more forgiving.

All I was saying earlier is according to how the game currently works. I can say in dropins, even if the pokes were twice as forgiving, penalties would hardly be reduced. Most people poke like morons in the worst of scenarios. It is utterly ridiculous how most players have no clue at all when it comes to pokes and playing without the puck. It is literally very sad to see and alot of times, frustrating. It's absolutely pathetic.

But how many hits did he have? That's probably the only stat that kept him in the game.

It is kind of easy to get your grades up. Lots of checks, blocking shots, bending over in front of your net, clearing the puck on a p.k. etc.. All easy +2-3% every time. Where it hurts is taking a penalty ( -7%) and then getting scored on the p.k. Adds up to -15%. But, if your team has a good p.k. the penalized player is getting a break on the negative impacts on his rating because no goals are getting scored.
  • Toxic game has ruined this community

I fixed your headline for you

That's exactly it. Just went around trying to hit guys and beaver tap. His hits likely kept his team grade up possibly?

It is kind of easy to get your grades up. Lots of checks, blocking shots, bending over in front of your net, clearing the puck on a p.k. etc.. All easy +2-3% every time. Where it hurts is taking a penalty ( -7%) and then getting scored on the p.k. Adds up to -15%. But, if your team has a good p.k. the penalized player is getting a break on the negative impacts on his rating because no goals are getting scored.

thats mostly dependent on position and build. you are not booted purely based on poor team grade. that is a flat out lie

whats funny is how INSANE EA is since they obviously feel like hits , or fighting or whatever are worth 10x what goals and assists are worth. especially if you are an enforcer.

You would think if you win 65% of your faceoffs, play great defense ( no one else is ever in position) and score 4 goals with 2 assists while leading your team to a 6-2 3rd period lead.... taking 3 penalties (1 of which leads to a goal) wouldn't be enough to get you booted. but you would be wrong. Yet at least 3x in 10 games last night I watched someone running around doing absolutely nothing but smashing people getting penalties every few mins. never booted. I'll check afterwards and their team grade will be lucky to hit 25%. every game i dont get booted i'm usually at least 85-90%. As soon as I take a few frustration penalties, boom gone.

This is what i mean when i say game full of bugs. Many of them may not be actual bugs just poorly implemented features that just dont come close to delivering.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited March 2020

This game allows the same person to get 10 penalties in a game. Didn't get kicked obviously.

thats mostly dependent on position and build. you are not booted purely based on poor team grade. that is a flat out lie

whats funny is how INSANE EA is since they obviously feel like hits , or fighting or whatever are worth 10x what goals and assists are worth. especially if you are an enforcer.

You would think if you win 65% of your faceoffs, play great defense ( no one else is ever in position) and score 4 goals with 2 assists while leading your team to a 6-2 3rd period lead.... taking 3 penalties (1 of which leads to a goal) wouldn't be enough to get you booted. but you would be wrong. Yet at least 3x in 10 games last night I watched someone running around doing absolutely nothing but smashing people getting penalties every few mins. never booted. I'll check afterwards and their team grade will be lucky to hit 25%. every game i dont get booted i'm usually at least 85-90%. As soon as I take a few frustration penalties, boom gone.

This is what i mean when i say game full of bugs. Many of them may not be actual bugs just poorly implemented features that just dont come close to delivering.

Yea I agree. Check this out:

Playing D you can get horrible grades for the following:

- Not many checks because your team has the puck most of the time.
    - No points because in every offensive zone play you hardly ever touch the puck.
    - For the rare rush you shut it down with hardly any physical play. (pokes, DSS, or forcing a turnover)
    - Every pass out of your zone is clean and picked up.
    - You intercept any passes in your zone

That right there is almost a perfect game by hockey standards. You gave your goalie minimal job by having possession most of the time. You didn't turn over the puck. For almost any rush, you thwarted the offense before they had any chance of a half decent shot. And yet... You basically get a C or C+ rating for playing a perfect game.

It's a shame that at the end of the game, coach doesn't give a big bonus to your ratings and instead sees that you didn't throw any checks and you didn't get any points....

Just like playing goalie. I have had games where I got a 7 save shutout.... Ratings are not that great because all I got was 7 shots. Stopping 100% of the shots is not enough? Why am I punished for having a tremendous game from my 5 teammates? Another thing I have noticed (mostly as goalie) if you get 5 saves in one period, then get no saves in the next period, your grade will degrade because your average over the course of those minutes gets diluted. Weird system. I would assume it applies to other positions as well. If you don't produce in a period, it degrades your grade.