EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Offline Players - Slider Inconsistency

Hello to my fellow offline players. This has been a discussion over on OperationSports as well, but I know we have a good crew of us here too so I’ll start the discussion.

Have any of you experienced gameplay where your sliders simply don’t matter anymore? This has been going on for at least a few years now and it’s extremely irritating when trying to just boot up the game and get a game in.

Long-story short, the speed, acceleration, agility, and shot accuracy magically are increased by what seems to be 200% compared to your set sliders. There’s no foolproof way of replicating the issues as it seems incredibly random, but changing a slider mid-game seems to reproduce this problem somewhat consistently, but I’ve also had this happen without touching a slider so it really seems to be totally random.

I’d like for a discussion to happen so this can hopefully make the team aware of this issue as it’s existed for multiple years and there’s been little figured out by the community as to how we can mitigate this issue/reproduce it consistently.

Replies

• From my experience it depends on a few things. Your controller and putting your ps4 into sleep mode while the game is on. If you leave nhl 20 in sleep mode, you pretty much get fat man lag. Usually any time you have to select your side is a good indication that things like this are going to happen.
  • From my experience it depends on a few things. Your controller and putting your ps4 into sleep mode while the game is on. If you leave nhl 20 in sleep mode, you pretty much get fat man lag. Usually any time you have to select your side is a good indication that things like this are going to happen.

It’s not fat man lag, it’s not because my controller DC’ed, and I hard restart my Xbox every night as I know that the slew setting can lead to wonky gameplay and stuttering.

This problem is actually that the game picks up in pace and the game becomes more responsive if you will lol. I have my sliders set to a point where puck control and passing receptions are supposed to be somewhat looser and bouncy. When “bezerk mode” as they call it on OperationSports happens, the game pace is drastically increased along with puck control and pass reception ease. It’s like I can do no wrong, and the animations look sped up and everything just seems like it’s in arcade mode or something.

It’s very strange and it’s something that seems to never be 100% reproducible nor can it ever be 100% mitigated for that reason, so I’m trying to give as much info as I can.

It’s not fat man lag, it’s not because my controller DC’ed, and I hard restart my Xbox every night as I know that the slew setting can lead to wonky gameplay and stuttering.

This problem is actually that the game picks up in pace and the game becomes more responsive if you will lol. I have my sliders set to a point where puck control and passing receptions are supposed to be somewhat looser and bouncy. When “bezerk mode” as they call it on OperationSports happens, the game pace is drastically increased along with puck control and pass reception ease. It’s like I can do no wrong, and the animations look sped up and everything just seems like it’s in arcade mode or something.

It’s very strange and it’s something that seems to never be 100% reproducible nor can it ever be 100% mitigated for that reason, so I’m trying to give as much info as I can.

I know what you mean. This happens online too. Some games look and play twice as fast as other games.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited March 3
    From my experience it depends on a few things. Your controller and putting your ps4 into sleep mode while the game is on. If you leave nhl 20 in sleep mode, you pretty much get fat man lag. Usually any time you have to select your side is a good indication that things like this are going to happen.

This happens in EASHL as well and the area where it affects me the most is goalie. There are games where I can do no wrong and the game bails me out. Gives me saves that I would consider having no business doing multiple times in a single game. And yet, I have had other games where I can do almost no right. I struggle with routine saves or get weird animations when other animations would have been more appropriate. Puck squeaks through an arm from 50 feet out on a wrister, or bounces off the blocker and goes in the net, etc etc... Perfect position, perfectly played, yet it goes in whereas other games it's as if your goalie somehow stretched longer arms during a game.

Gonna chuck this into the "reason to claim ice-tilt" theorist's bucket. It isn't tilt, but can sure persuade someone that it is.

This happens in EASHL as well and the area where it affects me the most is goalie. There are games where I can do no wrong and the game bails me out. Gives me saves that I would consider having no business doing multiple times in a single game. And yet, I have had other games where I can do almost no right. I struggle with routine saves or get weird animations when other animations would have been more appropriate. Puck squeaks through an arm from 50 feet out on a wrister, or bounces off the blocker and goes in the net, etc etc... Perfect position, perfectly played, yet it goes in whereas other games it's as if your goalie somehow stretched longer arms during a game.

Gonna chuck this into the "reason to claim ice-tilt" theorist's bucket. It isn't tilt, but can sure persuade someone that it is.

There’s clearly something under the hood that results in an inconsistent gaming experience. It’s the reason I wanted to bring this up as you have to provide the most detail possible if you ever want to see it fixed. There’s no placebo effect going on here, my game is literally faster and sped up compared to the other 9/10 games that I play with my sliders. Drives me nuts haha, I just want to have a consistent experience.

There’s clearly something under the hood that results in an inconsistent gaming experience. It’s the reason I wanted to bring this up as you have to provide the most detail possible if you ever want to see it fixed. There’s no placebo effect going on here, my game is literally faster and sped up compared to the other 9/10 games that I play with my sliders. Drives me nuts haha, I just want to have a consistent experience.

Definitely something under the hood. I can tell you within the first 2 or 3 saves if I am going to have fun, or struggle as a goalie.

Definitely something under the hood. I can tell you within the first 2 or 3 saves if I am going to have fun, or struggle as a goalie.

Hopefully a switch for next gen alleviates this issue!
  • Hopefully a switch for next gen alleviates this issue!

Unfortunately, we've already "been there done that"! PS3 to PS4. We heard the same thing. The "next gen" excuse is just that, an excuse. How many "next gen" consoles do we need to have before this game is where it should have been years ago??
  • As somebody who plays goalie without a doubt some games your goalie can't make a stop to save his life.

Just another game lol. Sometimes your goalie just actively sabotages your ability to stop the puck.