EA Forums - Banner

One and done

I play one game and i end up closing the game out of anger and frustration. Specifically because everything i do is delayed. My shot, passing, deking, turning etc and no its not my internet. Im usually around 30-35 ping hard wired and no other game i play has issues. My 5’7 170 pound sniper with 85+ agility turns like a tugboat and 90+ speed but still cant beat a defenseman on the rush. Whats the point of adjusting your player to be fast, agile etc when it doesnt reflect in gameplay. This may not happen to others, but its so blatantly obvious on my end. On top of the tons of other stuff wrong with the game(dont worry im compiling video proof), theres these issues that make it very difficult to play and extremely aggravating as well. It just feels like every past iteration of NHL to me. Id like to know if anyone else experiences these issues.

Replies

• Lots of us. This year is actually better than the last like 5 years. Never had this issue on old Gen. New Gen I always have these issues but they're far less this year than in previous years. Passing is still an issue once I get to like 40+ ping (just doesn't go to where I aim it) but most games are decent. Not great, not east coast server good, but decent enough.
  • Just a shot in the dark here but I tried playing on a 65 inch TV that didn't have game mode and it was terrible. Switched back to my 10 year old Samsung 32 " and all was fine.

• Just a shot in the dark here but I tried playing on a 65 inch TV that didn't have game mode and it was terrible. Switched back to my 10 year old Samsung 32 " and all was fine.

I hope you blamed your girlfriend for buying that tv LOL

I play all my games on a monitor, so thats not the issue.

Haha. She gets so upset with my set up. I literally pull out my small tv and stack it on guitar cases or crates, and sit on a folding camping chair in the middle of the living room. I'll post a pic later lol
  • EA_Blueberry
    4267 posts EA Community Manager

Haha. She gets so upset with my set up. I literally pull out my small tv and stack it on guitar cases or crates, and sit on a folding camping chair in the middle of the living room. I'll post a pic later lol

You kind of sound like a character from The Sims.

Heheheh. Complicated setup my friend.

I still think my solution that you find another girlfriend with a better tv sounds easier LMAO!!! :tongue:

• Haha. She gets so upset with my set up. I literally pull out my small tv and stack it on guitar cases or crates, and sit on a folding camping chair in the middle of the living room. I'll post a pic later lol

Great feedback from the devs yet again.
  • I totally agree. I have same issues. This game is ridiculously unbalanced. It amazes me how quick the opposing AI can jump on you to either block, tie up, lift the stick, poke check and or forecheck from lack of your player being unresponsive and or slow. They can be positioned 50' away either in front or behind you and have no problem pokecheking or blocking that puck. Yet the opposing AI can make successful passes or shots all while getting hit, unlike me who ends up having a delayed reaction just to make sure I lose that posession yet again. The settings make no difference either as it ends up working against you anyways when it should be doing exactly what they are meant to do If you are trying to ease or slow the game down just a bit. You know something is wrong with the game when your passing goes in a completely the opposite direction you have aimed it in all because you are in the lead. And dont bother with compiling video proof as they will do what they have done with me and that is stay silent and try to delete the video or give advice on my defense even though is clearly shown of my attempt. But when I sent a video that shows how bad their passing system is in this game I got ZERO response from the Devs. Let's face it, they have no idea how to make these games challenging. They have brought these settings into the game that they have carried and have been carrying over the past several years. This game sure doesn't feel like a good ol' hockey game but a cross between hockey, soccer and lacrosse; and I am pretty sure people know exactly what I am talking about.
  • Also wanted to point out how I get ZERO help from my AI when: I am 2-1 (in the last second he will skate back to the blue line leaving me 1-1 to which turn my player will slow down just to give them enough time to get another player on me), no one goes after the player with the puck, they all drop down by the goalie when the strategy is supposed to be one on one, my AI defense miraculously always ends up behind the player with the puck just to give them a chance to score, my goalie comes out and leaves the net wide open and etc. Here is a question for the Devs, if this is simulated to be more realistic why do ALL pokecheks go in the direction of the opposing AI even when aiming in the opposite direction? How is the opposing AI able to make perfect plays when completely out of position yet when I am put in the same situation it ends up working against me? How is the AI able to do three moves including the poke yet when I try to do the same thing my player is reacting lie he is frozen? How can the opposing AI poke or lift my stick from first try from +30' while they are chasing me yet I can't even do that when I am only a foot away no matter how many times I click the button? How about my player who is rated 99 is outskated and outplayed by someone who is a rookie with a rating of 49? I have so many more questions but do not want to overwhelm the Devs.
  • Socair
    2692 posts Game Changer
    darkop28 wrote: »
    I totally agree. I have same issues. This game is ridiculously unbalanced. It amazes me how quick the opposing AI can jump on you to either block, tie up, lift the stick, poke check and or forecheck from lack of your player being unresponsive and or slow. They can be positioned 50' away either in front or behind you and have no problem pokecheking or blocking that puck. Yet the opposing AI can make successful passes or shots all while getting hit, unlike me who ends up having a delayed reaction just to make sure I lose that posession yet again. The settings make no difference either as it ends up working against you anyways when it should be doing exactly what they are meant to do If you are trying to ease or slow the game down just a bit. You know something is wrong with the game when your passing goes in a completely the opposite direction you have aimed it in all because you are in the lead. And dont bother with compiling video proof as they will do what they have done with me and that is stay silent and try to delete the video or give advice on my defense even though is clearly shown of my attempt. But when I sent a video that shows how bad their passing system is in this game I got ZERO response from the Devs. Let's face it, they have no idea how to make these games challenging. They have brought these settings into the game that they have carried and have been carrying over the past several years. This game sure doesn't feel like a good ol' hockey game but a cross between hockey, soccer and lacrosse; and I am pretty sure people know exactly what I am talking about.

You say you’ve submitted video. Did you do so on social media or through some other channel? Because I’ve been through all of your 46 comments on here and you’ve not posted any video to the forum.

Please share it here and it will be looked at. Video evidence is the single best way to have issues addressed.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4267 posts EA Community Manager
    Mc41DMB wrote: »

Great feedback from the devs yet again.

@Mc41DMB

To avoid any confusion moving forward, I'm not a developer. I'm a forum Community Manager. It was a light-hearted joke because the folding chair is commonly used item in that game. I'm actually in a similar boat, @Mr_Darklighter.
  • Posted it in the wrong thread but here it is

nc2k9fs0so4r.jpg
  • jrago73
    604 posts Member
    Posted it in the wrong thread but here it is

nc2k9fs0so4r.jpg

Pretty swank
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Posted it in the wrong thread but here it is

nc2k9fs0so4r.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of that TV?
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Just a shot in the dark here but I tried playing on a 65 inch TV that didn't have game mode and it was terrible. Switched back to my 10 year old Samsung 32 " and all was fine.

Depending on your monitor, that MIGHT be the issue. Have you tried looking for your model in the displaylag.com database? Anything between 10-16ms is pretty acceptable. Anything above 20ms is horrible. Don't base your monitor's refresh rate on what the Manufacturer says. The people on Displaylag.com actually measure a monitor/TV's actual display lag.

For example, mine says 5ms on the box. But it's actually 10ms according to that site. My brother had a viewsonic monitor that said it was 1ms. It was actually 11ms. LOL! It's still acceptable, but it's not even close to what the manufacturer says. Also, if you don't find your exact model, you can usually find one that's the predecessor of yours which will have the same LCD panel (or close to it) inside. For example my model is the 27UD68, but the site has the 27UD88 which is actually the newer model, but it's the same IPS panel.

You also may want to look at what refresh rates your monitor accepts at which resolutions. Like earlier 4K monitors could only do 30Hz at that resolution. Most monitors nowadays can easily do 1080p at anywhere from 60Hz (acceptable) to 144Hz. I believe LG recently came out with the first 4K monitor on the market that does 120Hz. My LG 27UD68-W does 4K @60hz max. It also has FreeSync which helps with gaming and it has a "game" mode.

Things you might want to consider, FYI.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Just a shot in the dark here but I tried playing on a 65 inch TV that didn't have game mode and it was terrible. Switched back to my 10 year old Samsung 32 " and all was fine.

Depending on your monitor, that MIGHT be the issue. Have you tried looking for your model in the displaylag.com database? Anything between 10-16ms is pretty acceptable. Anything above 20ms is horrible. Don't base your monitor's refresh rate on what the Manufacturer says. The people on Displaylag.com actually measure a monitor/TV's actual display lag.

For example, mine says 5ms on the box. But it's actually 10ms according to that site. My brother had a viewsonic monitor that said it was 1ms. It was actually 11ms. LOL! It's still acceptable, but it's not even close to what the manufacturer says. Also, if you don't find your exact model, you can usually find one that's the predecessor of yours which will have the same LCD panel (or close to it) inside. For example my model is the 27UD68, but the site has the 27UD88 which is actually the newer model, but it's the same IPS panel.

You also may want to look at what refresh rates your monitor accepts at which resolutions. Like earlier 4K monitors could only do 30Hz at that resolution. Most monitors nowadays can easily do 1080p at anywhere from 60Hz (acceptable) to 144Hz. I believe LG recently came out with the first 4K monitor on the market that does 120Hz. My LG 27UD68-W does 4K @60hz max. It also has FreeSync which helps with gaming and it has a "game" mode.

Things you might want to consider, FYI.

I checked on the website and it lists it at 10ms. Its 60hz at 1080P. I guess it has to be my internet even though i have no issues with other games.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    That's not unheard of. Some games, input delay between your actions and what you see on screen can be a bit high. I play Street Fighter IV which has a 4.2 frames delay between input and what you see on screen. Street Fighter V which is the latest version, has a delay of 6.4 frames (they've managed to shave it off to 5.3 frames in one of the latest patches).

To save you time (and a headache) each frame is 0.16th of a second. It takes about 8 frames to equal 1 second. In a fighting game, or any game that requires quick inputs and reactions, you can understand that even a ONE second delay is huge. Imagine a game with 50% or 100% or even 200% that amount...

A game like NHL 20 feels like it has about a 1.5 second (or 12 frames) of delay between inputs and what you see on screen. Now add online latency to the mix and you can see why it feels like you are "skating in mud".

Idealy for the game to feel okay online, I found that I had to have between 12ms and 20ms. Between 20ms and 50ms is still playable, but your reactions are delayed. Anything above 60ms and it's pure garbo.
    That's not unheard of. Some games, input delay between your actions and what you see on screen can be a bit high. I play Street Fighter IV which has a 4.2 frames delay between input and what you see on screen. Street Fighter V which is the latest version, has a delay of 6.4 frames (they've managed to shave it off to 5.3 frames in one of the latest patches).

To save you time (and a headache) each frame is 0.16th of a second. It takes about 8 frames to equal 1 second. In a fighting game, or any game that requires quick inputs and reactions, you can understand that even a ONE second delay is huge. Imagine a game with 50% or 100% or even 200% that amount...

A game like NHL 20 feels like it has about a 1.5 second (or 12 frames) of delay between inputs and what you see on screen. Now add online latency to the mix and you can see why it feels like you are "skating in mud".

Idealy for the game to feel okay online, I found that I had to have between 12ms and 20ms. Between 20ms and 50ms is still playable, but your reactions are delayed. Anything above 60ms and it's pure garbo.

Yea ive very rarely experienced 20ms or under, but when i have i can really tell the difference. Ive also experienced 60+ and its absolutely unplayable for me. I can upgrade my internet, but its too pricey for me right now and knowing my provider it probably wouldn't help much anyways.

Yea ive very rarely experienced 20ms or under, but when i have i can really tell the difference. Ive also experienced 60+ and its absolutely unplayable for me. I can upgrade my internet, but its too pricey for me right now and knowing my provider it probably wouldn't help much anyways.

I seriously doubt a higher internet package would help you in any way. Maybe a better router that is more tailored for gamers would be a worthy gamble, but I wouldn't waste a dime on faster internet unless you have like 2mbps or some low number like that. Anything over 10 is fine unless you have 2 or 3 others living with you and youtubing or streaming or whatever. If that's the case, I would recommend no less than 25mbps.

I have 50mbps and a wife with 2 kids. All three can be on youtube or netflix or whatever, and I never see it bog me down. I am at a consistent 16-17ms in every game unless something weird is going on and I can occasionally get lag spikes here and there, but very rare. My games for the most part feel pretty crisp and responsive in at least 95% of the time. I am just lucky that I get a good routing or whatever from my ISP to the EA servers I guess.

Any other on-line game I play I get pristine connections like almost any other person that plays games.