EA Forums - Banner

Incidental contact, and loose pucks.

Replies

• If you make the game realistic top players will be exposed as average. You're not allowed to do that.
  • If you make the game realistic top players will be exposed as average. You're not allowed to do that.

Yep then litterally no one will stream and promote this game anymore! Thats why they litterally invited them to design the game based on how they wanted it. And this mess is the result.

Yep then litterally no one will stream and promote this game anymore! Thats why they litterally invited them to design the game based on how they wanted it. And this mess is the result.

Nicely said agree 1000000%
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    I had several hilarious situations in a single SB game two days ago.

You can't but laugh at this circus. The CPU players always got the puck in the end, it was so bad. My guys couldn't do thing. The game difficulty was only Pro, but the CPU just waltzed through my guys like they were bunch of clowns. I was trailing 1-5, it was brutal. I've never got so badly shafted in Pro mode, it's usually an easy win for me. That's why it was so peculiar.

Things changed in third period, I swapped goalies and took a timeout. So in the end I won 6-5. Sounds like an exciting game, right? Nope! It was one failure after another for the most of the game. I was leading the shot something like 40+ to 10, and still the CPU managed to score 5 goals. One of those games right? These SB matches are so mind-numbing to begin with, if the devs wanted to make a game mode where the player is guaranteed to have NO fun, this is it. And then you get crackers like this.

About the incidental contacts and bumps in the above videos. What makes these harder to handle is the fact that you change player every time the puck switches to another player in your team, so you're kinda running late with your reactions. The CPU naturally has no such problem. Plus with high OVR players and synergies, they've got superhuman puck-control and reflexes. It's a receipe for frustration.

And the the game handles your AI players very poorly; they're very passive, and often the game stops the player completely or forces it to move in the wrong direction just before the control switches to you, so the first thing you need to do is adjust movement in the right direction. I hate this player switching, especially as you get the control of the wrong guy in some situations.

Couple of other observations: the CPU had almost only base gold cards, my team had just reached 90 OVR, just throwing these facts out there, not claiming anything. And what's with the shot in the other video, it looks almost like it changes direction in the middle of the launch?
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    What makes these harder to handle is the fact that you change player every time the puck switches to another player in your team, so you're kinda running late with your reactions. The CPU naturally has no such problem.

This is an important point, and one that's easy to ignore. You can be controlling a player in a good defensive position and then suddenly be switched away without warning if one of your AI teammates happens to suddenly get the puck via incidental contact. You can't really anticipate it, since there's no consistency in whether a defensive player will steal the puck or not if they're skating next to the puck carrier. So when it happens you're often behind the play, and then the AI has to immediately take over the player you were controlling, often times with bad results.

At this point, I think the game should never switch you automatically, except when you make a pass (should switch automatically to the pass receiver, as it does now) or when an AI defenseman intercepts a pass. In all other situations, the user should control whether or not a switch occurs.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    What makes these harder to handle is the fact that you change player every time the puck switches to another player in your team, so you're kinda running late with your reactions. The CPU naturally has no such problem.

This is an important point, and one that's easy to ignore. You can be controlling a player in a good defensive position and then suddenly be switched away without warning if one of your AI teammates happens to suddenly get the puck via incidental contact. You can't really anticipate it, since there's no consistency in whether a defensive player will steal the puck or not if they're skating next to the puck carrier. So when it happens you're often behind the play, and then the AI has to immediately take over the player you were controlling, often times with bad results.

At this point, I think the game should never switch you automatically, except when you make a pass (should switch automatically to the pass receiver, as it does now) or when an AI defenseman intercepts a pass. In all other situations, the user should control whether or not a switch occurs.

Seems like a good reasonable fix. I say even make it an option so players can still use the current system or choose to use the proposed new way. Should be very easy, relatively simple, to implement into the game via patch. But Im sure we will see it ingame by NHL26 after years of asking and watching otherther pointless "improvements" like improved graphics on the lable of the ladder in the tunnel come 1st. Then in NHL28 it will be removed without reason, because some top streamers didn't like it, kinda like how position lock was. Then probably maybe reintroduced as a "NEW" feature in NHL35.

That's litterally EAs business/Marketing strategy explained. They did it with attributes, they did it with position lock, they did it with couch play, all because a few children that have thousands of views online didnt like it, and who cares whatever the greater majority of players think.
  • So i just played a game for the 1st time in a long time, seems like poke spamming is back with the reduced penalty risk, lol why do we keep going back and forth on this. But the poke is still highly ineffective and the offensive player easily drifts threw stick checks and still instantly retains full control of the puck while croping threw solid objects like the boards, players hands and legs and even other sticks.

Back skating was said to be fixed, lol its not. Spin moves are still the go to glitch. Turning your back to the play and curling back is still somehow considered the best play and works.

Glitch glitch glitch shots win games! Circle back turn your back to the boards and keep circling and turning until short side opens up then forwards back hand the goalie. Easy goals has always been the way to win and exploiting the fact EA handicaps goalies to be vaunerable to the same plays over and over.

This game hasn't changed a bit. Unrealistic unearned puck control, players overskating and bobbling easy pickups. Money goals win games and that's the only way to win, by repeating the same nonsense over and over .
  • EA_Aljo
    2632 posts EA Community Manager
    So i just played a game for the 1st time in a long time, seems like poke spamming is back with the reduced penalty risk, lol why do we keep going back and forth on this. But the poke is still highly ineffective and the offensive player easily drifts threw stick checks and still instantly retains full control of the puck while croping threw solid objects like the boards, players hands and legs and even other sticks.

Back skating was said to be fixed, lol its not. Spin moves are still the go to glitch. Turning your back to the play and curling back is still somehow considered the best play and works.

Glitch glitch glitch shots win games! Circle back turn your back to the boards and keep circling and turning until short side opens up then forwards back hand the goalie. Easy goals has always been the way to win and exploiting the fact EA handicaps goalies to be vaunerable to the same plays over and over.

This game hasn't changed a bit. Unrealistic unearned puck control, players overskating and bobbling easy pickups. Money goals win games and that's the only way to win, by repeating the same nonsense over and over .

You can defend that move. Control your defenders and you'll stop those guys spinning just waiting for an opening.

Can you get some video of the glitches you're experiencing? It's not a glitch if your opponent is baiting you into giving up the short side

Goalies aren't specifically handicapped. There are higher percentage shots based on your positioning, how settled the shooter is, player ratings, screens, etc. All of the shots can be defended though.

I'm not seeing poke spam returning and we're hearing very little about it. Most often people complain about taking too many penalties. If you're constantly getting poked and turning over the puck, you need to protect it better or pass. Keep it out of reach of your opponents. You are also complaining that poke spam works, yet the carrier keeps control of the puck. It would seem poke spam isn't working in that case. As far drifting through sticks goes, if they aren't actively poking or using DSS, the stick will pass through bodies, but it can't affect the puck when that happens. Incidental contact when the stick is not phasing through a player can still cause a turnover though.

If you know the money goals, you know how to defend them. If you see someone do the same thing every time, you should know how to stop it. I can always tell when someone is looking for the short side or are looking for a cross-crease. Sure, they still score those sometimes, but I shut down the vast majority of those attempts. Then again, teams seem to let Ovi score from the same spot repeatedly. Maybe that's a glitch and someone should complain to Bettman about it ;)
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So i just played a game for the 1st time in a long time, seems like poke spamming is back with the reduced penalty risk, lol why do we keep going back and forth on this. But the poke is still highly ineffective and the offensive player easily drifts threw stick checks and still instantly retains full control of the puck while croping threw solid objects like the boards, players hands and legs and even other sticks.

You can defend that move. Control your defenders and you'll stop those guys spinning just waiting for an opening.

Can you get some video of the glitches you're experiencing? It's not a glitch if your opponent is baiting you into giving up the short side

Goalies aren't specifically handicapped. There are higher percentage shots based on your positioning, how settled the shooter is, player ratings, screens, etc. All of the shots can be defended though.

I'm not seeing poke spam returning and we're hearing very little about it. Most often people complain about taking too many penalties. If you're constantly getting poked and turning over the puck, you need to protect it better or pass. Keep it out of reach of your opponents. You are also complaining that poke spam works, yet the carrier keeps control of the puck. It would seem poke spam isn't working in that case. As far drifting through sticks goes, if they aren't actively poking or using DSS, the stick will pass through bodies, but it can't affect the puck when that happens. Incidental contact when the stick is not phasing through a player can still cause a turnover though.

If you know the money goals, you know how to defend them. If you see someone do the same thing every time, you should know how to stop it. I can always tell when someone is looking for the short side or are looking for a cross-crease. Sure, they still score those sometimes, but I shut down the vast majority of those attempts. Then again, teams seem to let Ovi score from the same spot repeatedly. Maybe that's a glitch and someone should complain to Bettman about it ;)

No you can't. Defense has no contain function, all you can do is stay in position. And then you have two options available: poke check or hit. So you poke check or hit the puck carrier, but he's spinning and weaving like an eel, and because he spun just at the last second, your hit glances off him. Which would be fine if your AI teammates were programmed properly and picked up the open players around your net. He gets around you, no problem, just switch to a teammate who's in position, right? But they're not. Instead they're programmed to be living doofuses and sag off the backdoor open one-timer player or come chase the puck carrier while YOU are doing that job. So you switch to a player 10 feet from where he's supposed to be, now he has an open shot. Goal.

Playing the puck carrier is EXACTLY what the exploit abusers want. Your best option is to switch off and let the AI chase him around and hope it can maneuver him into a corner or in a place where you can double team him to extract the puck.

"All of the shots can be defended"

This right here tells me exactly how much hockey IQ goes into this game (and that's not an insult, just an observation). You're not supposed to "defend the shot". Everybody who has at one time or another played hockey knows that Defense defends the zone and limits the opponent's chances to score. It's the goalie's job to stop pucks. So if you maneuver the offense into just taking shots, you're good. But that's not what happens in this game. Goalies have a hard time stopping weak shots, they give up the most ridiculous rebounds on the slowest muffins from the blue line. Turning your back to the defense and slamming your player into the boards to bounce the other way are ludicrously exploited, because the physics in this game are laughable (hadron collider scientist helped with the physics engine... HAH!!!).

I'll echo the sentiment of another poster: please show us a clip of you playing a full game. Win or Loss, it matters not. I would just LOVE to see how you stop every shot, avoid every glitch and exploit, have NO connection issues and just hop, skip and tra-la-la your way through this drudgery of a game.

Maybe that'll help us plebs so we can take notes from an EA Expert.
  • EA_Aljo
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

No you can't. Defense has no contain function, all you can do is stay in position. And then you have two options available: poke check or hit. So you poke check or hit the puck carrier, but he's spinning and weaving like an eel, and because he spun just at the last second, your hit glances off him. Which would be fine if your AI teammates were programmed properly and picked up the open players around your net. He gets around you, no problem, just switch to a teammate who's in position, right? But they're not. Instead they're programmed to be living doofuses and sag off the backdoor open one-timer player or come chase the puck carrier while YOU are doing that job. So you switch to a player 10 feet from where he's supposed to be, now he has an open shot. Goal.

Playing the puck carrier is EXACTLY what the exploit abusers want. Your best option is to switch off and let the AI chase him around and hope it can maneuver him into a corner or in a place where you can double team him to extract the puck.

This right here tells me exactly how much hockey IQ goes into this game (and that's not an insult, just an observation). You're not supposed to "defend the shot". Everybody who has at one time or another played hockey knows that Defense defends the zone and limits the opponent's chances to score. It's the goalie's job to stop pucks. So if you maneuver the offense into just taking shots, you're good. But that's not what happens in this game. Goalies have a hard time stopping weak shots, they give up the most ridiculous rebounds on the slowest muffins from the blue line. Turning your back to the defense and slamming your player into the boards to bounce the other way are ludicrously exploited, because the physics in this game are laughable (hadron collider scientist helped with the physics engine... HAH!!!).

I'll echo the sentiment of another poster: please show us a clip of you playing a full game. Win or Loss, it matters not. I would just LOVE to see how you stop every shot, avoid every glitch and exploit, have NO connection issues and just hop, skip and tra-la-la your way through this drudgery of a game.

I'm not saying I'm an expert. It's not like I never get scored on. I do my best to take away their options. Since, in most cases, they're going for 1 of 2 goals. Short side or cross-crease. If I take away the short side by staying in position, they most often look for the cross-crease. That's usually covered due to the traffic front of the net or I get a good poke on their pass attempt. I know how deadly these players can be, but not many seem to have the patience to shut them down. They're trying to get you out of position and it works well against many who play this game that can't even cover the puck for a line change.

My comment about shots being defended wasn't meant that you're constantly setting up to block shots. It's about defending the play they're going for. You obviously don't want to always cover only the shot. You need to stop them before they get the shot off by breaking up the play. When I see the cross-crease developing, I move away from the shooter and cover the pass. Good players will recognize this and go for the shot or pass to someone else and look to develop a new play instead. However, many will still attempt the pass and it's an easy turnover when you keep your defender in the passing lane. Much of the time I'm causing turnovers because most people seem to only want to shoot on their forehand. They weave into the high slot and you just have to wait until they get back to their forehand. So, staying on that side takes away that option and it's an easy poke and turnover.

Muffins and weak shots score on real goalies as well. I don't know why you see them so often. Maybe you're taking away all their quality shots so they resort to shots from the blue line. I rarely see those shots go in, but that doesn't mean they never happen. Just not at the frequency you do. I tend to play very active defense so I'm controlling the player closest to the carrier normally and pressuring them to move the puck. It often results in a turnover, pass or a bad shot that usually gets blocked. The guys that are the hardest to play against are the ones that move the puck really well. If they want to hold onto it, that's fine, but someone that keeps it out of reach and sets up a good shot is most always a tough challenge.

• EA_Aljo wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I'm not saying I'm an expert. It's not like I never get scored on. I do my best to take away their options. Since, in most cases, they're going for 1 of 2 goals. Short side or cross-crease. If I take away the short side by staying in position, they most often look for the cross-crease. That's usually covered due to the traffic front of the net or I get a good poke on their pass attempt. I know how deadly these players can be, but not many seem to have the patience to shut them down. They're trying to get you out of position and it works well against many who play this game that can't even cover the puck for a line change.

My comment about shots being defended wasn't meant that you're constantly setting up to block shots. It's about defending the play they're going for. You obviously don't want to always cover only the shot. You need to stop them before they get the shot off by breaking up the play. When I see the cross-crease developing, I move away from the shooter and cover the pass. Good players will recognize this and go for the shot or pass to someone else and look to develop a new play instead. However, many will still attempt the pass and it's an easy turnover when you keep your defender in the passing lane. Much of the time I'm causing turnovers because most people seem to only want to shoot on their forehand. They weave into the high slot and you just have to wait until they get back to their forehand. So, staying on that side takes away that option and it's an easy poke and turnover.

Muffins and weak shots score on real goalies as well. I don't know why you see them so often. Maybe you're taking away all their quality shots so they resort to shots from the blue line. I rarely see those shots go in, but that doesn't mean they never happen. Just not at the frequency you do. I tend to play very active defense so I'm controlling the player closest to the carrier normally and pressuring them to move the puck. It often results in a turnover, pass or a bad shot that usually gets blocked. The guys that are the hardest to play against are the ones that move the puck really well. If they want to hold onto it, that's fine, but someone that keeps it out of reach and sets up a good shot is most always a tough challenge.

Wouldn’t it be fun if shooting was more of a skill so that there wasn’t a “short-side” meta in this game? As of now, shooting is about as lame as it can be. As a irl goalie, it baffles me how much gliding and basically showing the goalie where you’re shooting is rewarded in this game. Especially when the meta shot is coming from the top of the circles, that just doesn’t align with real-life NHL goalies and their expected save percentages.

When it comes to “soft” goals going in, there’s usually more of a factor than simply a weak shot from the point without a screen, tip, or bounce simply beating the goalie. Would love to see more pucks sneaking through 5, 7, 9 holes when quickly snapping a shot off with feet moving, or a shot off of a quick zero-touch toe drag move which changes the angle slightly at speed. I’d be fine with those. A slapshot from the side boards that simply deflects up and over a goalie off of their blocker? Not so much.

Also, no irl goalie has ever kicked a 20 foot rebound out due to a puck slowly rolling into them, yet it happens in this game consistently. This, along with the fact that slapshots from five feet out can “glue” to the pad and basically produce no rebound, makes me (and I’m sure all other irl goalies) simply shake our heads as it simply makes no sense.

Would really love to see some of these AI-related issues polished at some point. I know it’s not great back of the box feature, but I really think the series would quickly reinstall hope and excitement in the hardcore hockey community if the AI issues were made a priority.
  • 1. When it comes to that poke check and Ben asked how we would like that play to go? The forward lost possession. Turnover. End of discussion. He screwed up. You lose. You could be Jesus, Caesar, or the Easter Bunny. The play is over. You lost the puck. Try to make a better play instead of, presumingly, wanting to cut to the middle and shoot short side...like everyone does ad nauseum. Again, offense is OP.
    2. The crux of this thread is the balance is off. This game does not force people to play hockey. There is a reason why the meta's exist. If I went 0-100 and it felt like hockey I would be thrilled. This does not feel like hockey. It feels backward.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    1. When it comes to that poke check and Ben asked how we would like that play to go? The forward lost possession. Turnover. End of discussion. He screwed up. You lose. You could be Jesus, Caesar, or the Easter Bunny. The play is over. You lost the puck. Try to make a better play instead of, presumingly, wanting to cut to the middle and shoot short side...like everyone does ad nauseum. Again, offense is OP.
    2. The crux of this thread is the balance is off. This game does not force people to play hockey. There is a reason why the meta's exist. If I went 0-100 and it felt like hockey I would be thrilled. This does not feel like hockey. It feels backward.

This brought a tear to my eye. Awesome response.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    1. When it comes to that poke check and Ben asked how we would like that play to go? The forward lost possession. Turnover. End of discussion. He screwed up. You lose. You could be Jesus, Caesar, or the Easter Bunny. The play is over. You lost the puck. Try to make a better play instead of, presumingly, wanting to cut to the middle and shoot short side...like everyone does ad nauseum. Again, offense is OP.

@WainGretSki

Like, how can this be debated? The forward made a trash play. He should not ever get the puck back there. Screw attributes and screw "fun". Stop rewarding people for rubbish. Never in a million years would a person ever get that puck back. This is clear cut favoring the offense.
  • 1. When it comes to that poke check and Ben asked how we would like that play to go? The forward lost possession. Turnover. End of discussion. He screwed up. You lose. You could be Jesus, Caesar, or the Easter Bunny. The play is over. You lost the puck. Try to make a better play instead of, presumingly, wanting to cut to the middle and shoot short side...like everyone does ad nauseum. Again, offense is OP.

@WainGretSki

Like, how can this be debated? The forward made a trash play. He should not ever get the puck back there. Screw attributes and screw "fun". Stop rewarding people for rubbish. Never in a million years would a person ever get that puck back. This is clear cut favoring the offense.

There is only one way it can be debated.

This is a byproduct of these new puck pickup animations. It was the same for the overpowered pass interceptions. I think we will see this easily for the next year or 2. Or should I say, for the rest of this console's cycle.

@WainGretSki

This is a byproduct of these new puck pickup animations. It was the same for the overpowered pass interceptions. I think we will see this easily for the next year or 2. Or should I say, for the rest of this console's cycle.

@WainGretSki

When we complain about puck pickups being a crap-shoot, this is a prime example. The only thing I could justify is, sure, the forward could reach back but he is being triple teamed and is off balance. He could try as he might but he is still going to lose the puck there. Stick lifting, in this example, should be OP. Off balance and reaching? You are basically helpless.

How do you feel about interceptions now? Do you agree that when people are not facing the puck they have no business CLEANLY intercepting the puck and going the other way?

@WainGretSki

@WainGretSki

When we complain about puck pickups being a crap-shoot, this is a prime example. The only thing I could justify is, sure, the forward could reach back but he is being triple teamed and is off balance. He could try as he might but he is still going to lose the puck there. Stick lifting, in this example, should be OP. Off balance and reaching? You are basically helpless.

How do you feel about interceptions now? Do you agree that when people are not facing the puck they have no business CLEANLY intercepting the puck and going the other way?

No, I agree that forward had no business picking up a puck that is behind him while he is skating away from it.

I feel pass interceptions are ok for the most part. Lanes still feel a little clogged despite seeing other players hustling around trying to intercept passes. I totally agree that if you are not facing the puck, you should have maaaybe a 2% chance of cleanly picking off the pass and maaaybe a 15% of just deflecting it away. I mean, you're not facing the puck, so what would happen in real life? Odds are, you will let the puck sail by as you are not looking at it, or, if your head is turned, you will blindly stick your stick out hoping to at least just touch the puck and maybe get a deflection out of it.
  • Yeah pickup animations are still a mess. I mean, you still see players not even have a pickup animation trigger when literally skating at the puck and skating over it/not even a stick-lengths reach away, yet a forward with momentum cutting across the middle can have a pickup animation trigger when the puck has been dislodged and he’s moving away from the puck!?

I can say with 100% certainty that you are not reaching back and grabbing the puck while triple-teamed and off balance due to the incredible reach you’d have to make going against your momentum. There’s simply no debating what the outcome should be if you’ve ever tried doing this in even a real life Mens league game. Sorry, it’s just not happening. Now, there would be some debate had the offensive player stopped and turned around to “battle” for the puck, but he didn’t. He was simply rewarded with a pickup animation for getting stripped of the puck.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited March 2020

@WainGretSki

@WainGretSki

No, I agree that forward had no business picking up a puck that is behind him while he is skating away from it.

I feel pass interceptions are ok for the most part. Lanes still feel a little clogged despite seeing other players hustling around trying to intercept passes. I totally agree that if you are not facing the puck, you should have maaaybe a 2% chance of cleanly picking off the pass and maaaybe a 15% of just deflecting it away. I mean, you're not facing the puck, so what would happen in real life? Odds are, you will let the puck sail by as you are not looking at it, or, if your head is turned, you will blindly stick your stick out hoping to at least just touch the puck and maybe get a deflection out of it.

@WainGretSki

This is what I'm saying! Like, stuff is backwards.

Not facing the play? You can intercept a pass AND counter in transition.
    Facing the play? Vision control does not face the puck and you sometimes cannot intercept a pass you should.
    Not facing the play? No penalty for it what so ever.

It is SO frustrating. You read responses like "well, that is possible". Okay, sure, in theory it is. It is also possible I will take Charlize Theron out next week....
  • EA_Aljo

@WainGretSki

@WainGretSki

@WainGretSki

This is what I'm saying! Like, stuff is backwards.

Not facing the play? You can intercept a pass AND counter in transition.
    Facing the play? Vision control does not face the puck and you sometimes cannot intercept a pass you should.
    Not facing the play? No penalty for it what so ever.

It is SO frustrating. You read responses like "well, that is possible". Okay, sure, in theory it is. It is also possible I will take Charlize Theron out next week....

Changes were made with the last patch to make interceptions more realistic.

- Reduced player ability for pickups outside skaters field of view (1 hand behind the back pickups) so they do not play as often and as unrealistically fast

If you're seeing interceptions that shouldn't be happening, try to get some video of it.

Vision control makes you face the play, but it doesn't rotate your player. That happened more frequently with the old skating system from the previous generation when skating was far less realistic. You could basically rotate on your skates. Now, you have to position your player better, but you will at least face the play.

Good luck with your date. We're all pulling for ya! :p