EA Forums - Banner

anyone notice bad defensive AI

EvanAshopenace
712 posts Member
edited March 15
anyone notice the bad defensive ai issues, I sure notice them, when I coach or play (Goalies) or play, u can see as goalie defensemen is clearly not cutting off cross crease pass and defensemen will often abandon there position and then skate upwards towards blue line, how did we all miss this.

one thing I notice is crowding at blue line and not at centre line red line, whatever strategy was 1-2-2 Red has Vaporiated into mess of strategy , they line up at blue line but they don't cover sides almost, which allows AI CPU to easy walk in so easily , I tried upping checking it doesn't work , they don't check there man from blue line or steal puck.

another thing, i like to mention is defensive pressure : normal,
is allowing stretch pass after stretch pass, almost terrible to use defensive pressure : Normal at this point.

your almost likely to use contain the puck or puck side attack defensive pressure

Replies

• It's been this way for years, the AI D, No matter the strategies settings, will always step up into the slot for absolutely no reason. Litterally 100% of the time when a winger is comming down the boards the far side D will always step up into the slot after backing up. It's the same point and same timing 100% of the time, they start backing up then right at that point step up and leave the other winger wide open 100% of the time. You just have to wait it out and pass it over for easy goals everytime.

It's been in the game for years which is why im convinced its not a glitch, but is exactly how they designed it as a way to score regularly. Most goals scored in this game are "ways to score" rather than good offensive plays creating scoring chances. It's designed this way and will always be this way. I don't know why, but that's the way they want the game and it will never get fixed.
  • Oh yea, also computer players will never cover the boards, even on weak side lock strategy they will stand near the boards but will never ever be close enough to intercept passes along the boards. Another genius decision from the development department to handicap the defence and improve scripted a Offensive plays
  • I do agree with u now, thank u for shedding sum light on subject, that is most interesting :o .
  • d3v1t0
    58 posts Member
    It's a mess. AI defense ruins this game on both sides of the puck. On offense, defense will either hit you off the puck or strip it from you without even doing a poke or stick lift animation. If the puck touches their blade, it's gone. This discourages players to be creative and resort to tried and true ways of scoring.

On defense, no matter who you're covering, a teammate will always abandon their assignment for no reason at all. In BAP, as a center, if I'm covering the slot, a winger always leaves the point and gets in my way. And if I'm covering the point, someone else will leave the slot and go where I am. Things like this convinces me the Dev team either makes it this way on purpose or are completely incompetent. It's not like they even give us the necessary tools to play defense anyway.
  • BUGGIEMOSTER
    1 posts New member
    Bro why do the ai take the puck so easily so I have it on a forehand glide coming into the zone so the d man can’t take it but no the puck faxes through my blade and bam he’s got it now??!!!??!? Explain???
  • EvanAshopenace
    712 posts Member
    edited May 17
    I dunno it looks like bad glitch with animations, i mean i did get it to be little better, so i can like carry it into zone, but its still struggle, but now i got the AI CPU to like attack me on side boards at least, I also made adjustments to checking too in my sliders to counter act the Almost OP'd AI CPU, best thing u can do is draw a penalty at least get the AI CPU commit to bad penalty.
  • EA_Aljo
    1921 posts EA Community Manager
    Bro why do the ai take the puck so easily so I have it on a forehand glide coming into the zone so the d man can’t take it but no the puck faxes through my blade and bam he’s got it now??!!!??!? Explain???

Can you get some video of this? They should be able to take it through turnovers caused by incidental contact, stick lifting and poke checks, but the puck shouldn't just warp through your stick onto theirs without contact.
  • d3v1t0 wrote: »
    It's a mess. AI defense ruins this game on both sides of the puck. On offense, defense will either hit you off the puck or strip it from you without even doing a poke or stick lift animation. If the puck touches their blade, it's gone. This discourages players to be creative and resort to tried and true ways of scoring.

On defense, no matter who you're covering, a teammate will always abandon their assignment for no reason at all. In BAP, as a center, if I'm covering the slot, a winger always leaves the point and gets in my way. And if I'm covering the point, someone else will leave the slot and go where I am. Things like this convinces me the Dev team either makes it this way on purpose or are completely incompetent. It's not like they even give us the necessary tools to play defense anyway.

The AI defense when playing with a human leaves so much to be desired. I absolutely can’t stand how quick they are to sprint across the ice to “cover” for you simply because you’re one micro-inch out of what the AI believes is proper position.

They do this everywhere too. The do it in the offensive zone, neutral zone, and defensive zone. There’s no stopping the AI from wanting to “cover” for you. My favorite is when there’s a loose puck in the offensive zone, you’re on “full attack” offensive zone pressure (the description says “players only think about offense”) and they prioritize covering the opening left by a dman who just stepped-in to take a shot, rather than digging for the rebound or applying pressure on the puck. They just sprint directly away from the front of the net on “full attack” settings (and full FC I should add) because god forbid the back left corner of the offensive zone from being left vacant while trying to tie the game with under a minute left while “only thinking about offense” lol.

The AI strategy adjustments seem to work relatively well most of the time, but I need them to actually do what their description says especially in scenarios where I literally couldn’t care less about giving up another goal due to the fact that I’m very desperate and losing already!
  • You lose the puck way more via incidental contact, then forechecking to try and knock someone off the puck... its ridiculous... you would think it should be the other way around... I've had a good 3 bump forecheck many of times, controller vibrates, yet they (usually human) get a clean shot off and a fair amount of time they score.... this needs to be looked at big time.. (eashl/drop-ins) its ridiculous
  • I .. too blame the incidental contact, for this bad glitch of takeaways and its unrealistic of takeaways, u don't just bump a person and swap the stick out from underneath him like that, am very good floor hockey player, u know how hard it is to take puck away from from me, am big man, i don't take puck away from me that easy, when u play NHL 20 u can see bad glitch with incidental contact or bump or nudge resulting in easy takeaway.

this needs to be looked at .