EA Forums - Banner

Any good advice?... And a good advice!

Sega82mega
4308 posts Member
edited March 2020
Of how to slow down the play?

I notice, the slower it goes, the more controll of aiming shots and deaking you get. So if you are up against team that try to go full speed. I recommend you to: go into boardplay motion, ex behind your net, until hes AI or if hes controlled player attack you, then just kick the puck to your open player. Another trick that slow down pace is to fake shots here and there. Theese two things can really make the gameplay much more fun to enjoy, were you feel your in much more controll of what you doing, if so, it dosent look that great when you doit. Almost against my "hockey sense/moral" but it is worth it, for the better sake.

Any other tips I can do to slow things down?

Oh yeah, sauce pass does it to.

Addition: try to boardplay and Keep puck til your favor until your opponent is forced to fall back(hes running out of forecheck) and that he has to have controll over the nearest player of the puck Carrier. Might take some time before you find the sweet spot, but when you do, it can be a game changer.
Post edited by Sega82mega on

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    So far I notice this playstyle has a good effect on your own AI, try to slow the play down until your AI is in sync with your strategi. This makes it much harder for thoose that just glide and dekes like manic to get your AI to responde on that and gets them out of position. And booth backskating and self sauce I could tell they seems to be harder to get away with. Made (often) the self sauce just run away from them like a loose puck were I could get it and start över. (it Will force them to actually play real hockey to get away with the win, but thoose that master all this junk they do pretty well, will still be hard to beat)

This is by far the best 'tactic' that works pretty well to prevent people from destroying the gameplay. I had have so much fun with the puck and did some pretty nice goals. I rather score goals with nice feeling then win the game. But this might be good for the two of them.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    Good advice @Sega82mega. Setting up and letting your AI get in position is going to help with those real hockey plays. Making manual line changes can also help as your players won't be so apt to make auto changes when you're breaking out and then having to wait for them to switch. Breaking out and having your team leave you to take the offensive zone all on your own while you wait for them to catch up can be pretty frustrating.
  • When you don't spend 80% of your time hustling, you have much better puck control, better passing, better shot precision, and as you said, let's your AI catch up to you and actually participate in the play, you have more stamina to better withstand checks and to lay harder checks. Also, the opponent AI defends better when you rush to them. But if you slow down, they will be much more passive and back all the way up to their own net.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Good advice @Sega82mega. Setting up and letting your AI get in position is going to help with those real hockey plays. Making manual line changes can also help as your players won't be so apt to make auto changes when you're breaking out and then having to wait for them to switch. Breaking out and having your team leave you to take the offensive zone all on your own while you wait for them to catch up can be pretty frustrating.

Thank you my friend, I always tryed to beat thoose guys on there own premises, but still play a decent hockey, but when the speed is through the roof, its hard. Often ends up in thoose games when im in full speed need to take shots and dekes(and the mass thinks theres no qualities shot, no it aint becuse neither me or you can take that in this speed, unleass its a one timer or snipe in the slot) . No wonder nothing works. But atleast I have get to know my enemy. They build up a speed in the begining, after every faceoff, then slowly, bit by bit, they running out of it, can for exampel look like, they do the deke were the player jumps forward, but the puck almost stands still behind them, then they startin to be In trouble, or when they go in the zone in full speed and start gliding, and rolling around like crazy, back and forth, round and round, until they either runs out of speed and loose the puck, or they do this pass were it almost seems to turn there neck and behind the back gets it to that one timer infront of net. I think I know witch ones that send me a rage message after the game even if they win or thoose that complain about the game not fun no mather if they win, no wonder why!?!?

But now finaly I found out a way that atleast makes my own game fun to play, without messein up to much. I even got to play some more up against the board hockey, love that stuff. And score on backhand. Wont probebly take me to the finest top, but I can sit back and play hockey the way I love it, without caring to much what the others AI is doing.. Hehe :)

Even wrap arounds work, what a wonderful feeling..

And to thoose that wanna play real hockey but dont really get what im sayin, I more then happy to either show you or explain further.

Now I just need that Peter Forsberg ovr 97, and the reff to drop the puck!
  • EA_Aljo
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Thank you my friend, I always tryed to beat thoose guys on there own premises, but still play a decent hockey, but when the speed is through the roof, its hard. Often ends up in thoose games when im in full speed need to take shots and dekes(and the mass thinks theres no qualities shot, no it aint becuse neither me or you can take that in this speed, unleass its a one timer or snipe in the slot) . No wonder nothing works. But atleast I have get to know my enemy. They build up a speed in the begining, after every faceoff, then slowly, bit by bit, they running out of it, can for exampel look like, they do the deke were the player jumps forward, but the puck almost stands still behind them, then they startin to be In trouble, or when they go in the zone in full speed and start gliding, and rolling around like crazy, back and forth, round and round, until they either runs out of speed and loose the puck, or they do this pass were it almost seems to turn there neck and behind the back gets it to that one timer infront of net. I think I know witch ones that send me a rage message after the game even if they win or thoose that complain about the game not fun no mather if they win, no wonder why!?!?

But now finaly I found out a way that atleast makes my own game fun to play, without messein up to much. I even got to play some more up against the board hockey, love that stuff. And score on backhand. Wont probebly take me to the finest top, but I can sit back and play hockey the way I love it, without caring to much what the others AI is doing.. Hehe :)

Even wrap arounds work, what a wonderful feeling..

And to thoose that wanna play real hockey but dont really get what im sayin, I more then happy to either show you or explain further.

Now I just need that Peter Forsberg ovr 97, and the reff to drop the puck!

One thing I can comment on here is when you lose the puck doing a deke. Normally that's due to ratings. Guys with lower deking have a greater chance of losing the puck.

It's good to hear you're having fun. Especially with the way things are currently, many of us will be playing more.
  • Aljo, havent really had time to figure out, but when you go in to boardplay in a vs mode, how is the other teams AI set to play then? Can I loose puck to hes AI or must it be hes controlled player that takes me on?
  • EA_Aljo
    Aljo, havent really had time to figure out, but when you go in to boardplay in a vs mode, how is the other teams AI set to play then? Can I loose puck to hes AI or must it be hes controlled player that takes me on?

If your opponent engages boardplay, you can kick the puck in whatever direction you want. It can also be poked away though. It works the same as boardplay in other modes.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Aljo, havent really had time to figure out, but when you go in to boardplay in a vs mode, how is the other teams AI set to play then? Can I loose puck to hes AI or must it be hes controlled player that takes me on?

If your opponent engages boardplay, you can kick the puck in whatever direction you want. It can also be poked away though. It works the same as boardplay in other modes.

@EA_Aljo if you poke do you get a tripping penalty?
  • EA_Aljo

@EA_Aljo if you poke do you get a tripping penalty?

No. You don't take penalties for poking when someone is boardplayed. The carrier needs to be skating with the puck above a certain speed to be tripped. If they're going super slow or aren't moving, tripping shouldn't occur. If you're seeing otherwise, get some video and we'll review it.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    I use this thread for my next little tip, it works pretty good for me at least. And my biggest problem is that I dont really feel that controll over the players on the ice that I need/wants.

But heres what I do, and I notice a big diffrent.

On faceoff's, go down forehand or backhand with right trigger - at the same time - hold down R2 - at the moment were the puck hit the ice - draw right trigger in the direction you want the puck to go and heres the importen thing, at the same time - with help of you still holding on to R2 use left trigger to as fast as you can switch up to the player you wants to take controll over. Even if the puck for exampel is about to go to LD, try to take controll over that LD before he gets controll automatically becuse hes about to get the puck, it gives you the feeling of more time/space with the puck when you manage to do this. Might take some time to get it going, but really - try it, you might like it.

+ correction: the cloaser you are when the reff is about to lift hes hand with startin to hold in R2 (dont forget to point out with left trigger too) the better effect it gets. (I still learning)