EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Sliders vs Attributes

How exactly do gameplay sliders work? For example, does a 90 point user skating speed gameplay slider equate to a 90 overall speed attribute rating on a user player? I assume not, but I would like to know more how it works if possible. Thanks!

Replies

  • Good luck on this. I've asked the same type of questions each year. I always felt the sliders wash out the attributes, which is why we see so many awkward things in this game. How is a player's shooting attributes affected by the shooting sliders? If I lower the sliders, you would think that would lower the attributes...which make you wonder what the sliders should be to have the game play based on ratings alone. Better call the Scooby Gang for this mystery!
  • Yeah nobody really knows exactly how these work. If you’re looking for player differentiation, turn the attribute effect slider up to 8-10/10. I run 10 on my set.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    How exactly do gameplay sliders work? For example, does a 90 point user skating speed gameplay slider equate to a 90 overall speed attribute rating on a user player? I assume not, but I would like to know more how it works if possible. Thanks!
    I have written back to Steven about this quite a few times with some decent depth so feel free to track their posts and see some of those responses as well but I will take a crack here to see if it helps both of you...

    To start off, the 0-100 value in the sliders doesn't have anything to do with the value in attributes. The outward facing sliders used to be a 0-7 scale or something but when we advanced them and exposed much more to players, the higher fidelity for tuning was something we wanted to give players as well.

    Alright, so as far as mechanics work, there are a few things to consider:
    - There is a base mechanic such as shot accuracy where a bunch of factors go into the mechanic, one of those being attributes.
    - In the mechanic, it takes the factors we have decided to matter such as how in control a player is, their facing to the net, if their momentum is going with or against their shot, if it is a forehand vs backhand shot, the attributes of the player, etc.
    - In the end, there is an error distribution based on all those factors and the more each of those factors is working against your player, the more potential error. The more you maximize all those factors to be in your favor the more precise your shot accuracy.
    - The attribute plays a role in the calculation but no matter what, even the best player is going to be impacted by the other factors of the model, just maybe not as much as a player with a lower shot accuracy attribute. So no matter who you are, it is better to settle into a glide on your forehand, have a good angle relative to where you want to release the puck, etc. but the better your attributes you may fair better when those things are against you (i.e. Ovechkin may be able to still have fairly high accuracy right after receiving a cross body pass and shooting against his momentum where as a lower rated player may need to receive the puck and settle more to get the same precision in accuracy.

    The sliders give a lot of potential to fine tune the experience but are still only a fraction of what goes into the game behind the scenes. For example, we aren't giving you control over the angles we see as ideal shooting angles or how much worse a backhand is relative to your regular shot, etc. but we are giving you control over the overall attribute error that results.

    So if you think overall shot accuracy is too accurate or too wild, you can move the slider up or down to impact that overall scale. Attributes will always matter but where the slider is can make the attribute difference matter more or less. You can't have a shot that is better than perfect so if you raise shot accuracy, you are essentially raising the floor and saying that the worst players are getting better and you will see less differentiation potentially.

    But there is no concept as Steven refers to as just using the attributes because without the actual shot model, the attributes don't mean anything. They are just one input into that model to differentiate players abilities inside that model.

    All of the sliders work that way in a round about way but have different logic and inputs into their base mechanic. Hope that helps.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

    So if you think overall shot accuracy is too accurate or too wild, you can move the slider up or down to impact that overall scale. Attributes will always matter but where the slider is can make the attribute difference matter more or less. You can't have a shot that is better than perfect so if you raise shot accuracy, you are essentially raising the floor and saying that the worst players are getting better and you will see less differentiation potentially.

    Thanks for the detail. However, I'm not seeing much by way of these sliders. For example, I put pass accuracy at 0 for the CPU, yet they still hit over 70% accuracy every game. And in the videos I've posted, I'm not seeing this slider have any affect. If you watch, they are incredibly accurate with pinpoint passing and even shooting, no matter the slider value.

    I get that the slider is supposed to curve the attribute a bit, but I'm just not seeing it even with such drastic changes like I've done.

    This even occurs with the penalty slider. I've put it at 0 HUM and 100 CPU. They still get power plays and I get none. Aggression is another one. With it lower, I do see them dumping the puck more, but I don't see a difference between the lower and higher setting.

    I do appreciate you explaining it, but I just don't experience what you say should happen. This is where the confusion and mystery is for me.

    Maybe this is also because I'm on position lock. Maybe something is off about locking onto one player?


  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

    So if you think overall shot accuracy is too accurate or too wild, you can move the slider up or down to impact that overall scale. Attributes will always matter but where the slider is can make the attribute difference matter more or less. You can't have a shot that is better than perfect so if you raise shot accuracy, you are essentially raising the floor and saying that the worst players are getting better and you will see less differentiation potentially.

    Thanks for the detail. However, I'm not seeing much by way of these sliders. For example, I put pass accuracy at 0 for the CPU, yet they still hit over 70% accuracy every game. And in the videos I've posted, I'm not seeing this slider have any affect. If you watch, they are incredibly accurate with pinpoint passing and even shooting, no matter the slider value.

    I get that the slider is supposed to curve the attribute a bit, but I'm just not seeing it even with such drastic changes like I've done.

    This even occurs with the penalty slider. I've put it at 0 HUM and 100 CPU. They still get power plays and I get none. Aggression is another one. With it lower, I do see them dumping the puck more, but I don't see a difference between the lower and higher setting.

    I do appreciate you explaining it, but I just don't experience what you say should happen. This is where the confusion and mystery is for me.

    Maybe this is also because I'm on position lock. Maybe something is off about locking onto one player?
    Passing is unique as the error on passes is more about the error applied after a pass is requested (ie more error because you are passing against the grain behind you, etc.) where as with a human, you have both your left stick/thumb error and the error applied based on what you are physically trying to get your player to do.

    I would like to add more of the human controller error to the ai as well but it isn't something that is there at the moment other than delays in their responsiveness or errors in their decision making for who is open or what part of the net to shoot at, etc.

    I know from doing a lot of ai vs ai testing the last few days that there is a lot of control in the sliders to raise and lower the impacts for how many penalties the ai will take. I am not sure what other settings you may have that would impact this. Also, as a side note, in these tests I had the ai in the 50-60 pass percentage range with one of the slider sets so it all depends on what you have all of your sliders at. Maybe check out what other community members are doing as well -- there is a section on the OS forums that a lot of core sim players post their slider sets and explain what they are trying to achieve with them, etc.
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

    So if you think overall shot accuracy is too accurate or too wild, you can move the slider up or down to impact that overall scale. Attributes will always matter but where the slider is can make the attribute difference matter more or less. You can't have a shot that is better than perfect so if you raise shot accuracy, you are essentially raising the floor and saying that the worst players are getting better and you will see less differentiation potentially.

    Thanks for the detail. However, I'm not seeing much by way of these sliders. For example, I put pass accuracy at 0 for the CPU, yet they still hit over 70% accuracy every game. And in the videos I've posted, I'm not seeing this slider have any affect. If you watch, they are incredibly accurate with pinpoint passing and even shooting, no matter the slider value.

    I get that the slider is supposed to curve the attribute a bit, but I'm just not seeing it even with such drastic changes like I've done.

    This even occurs with the penalty slider. I've put it at 0 HUM and 100 CPU. They still get power plays and I get none. Aggression is another one. With it lower, I do see them dumping the puck more, but I don't see a difference between the lower and higher setting.

    I do appreciate you explaining it, but I just don't experience what you say should happen. This is where the confusion and mystery is for me.

    Maybe this is also because I'm on position lock. Maybe something is off about locking onto one player?


    Try lowering puck control. If their puck control is too high it'll also correct their passing a bit.
  • EA_Blueberry
    2131 posts EA Community Manager
    @HoodHoppers

    I just created a master list that can be found at the top of General Discussion. Feel free to reply to that post with your platform and position if you're interested in playing with others on the forums. Maybe someone outta throw up a post on Fridays to try and organize a get together?

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/256548/world-of-chel-find-a-player-master-list#latest
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!