EA Forums - Banner

It's time to end this stale, cookie cutter nonsense, its killed EASHL

Attributes, customizable stick curve, skate blades, these were the glory days and large player bases. This game has nosedived since it was all removed. Save the series EA and bring back the GRIND!

Replies

• correct
  • I've been told they don't want to give us this much freedom because it creates meta builds and playstyles.

I see pretty much the exact same basic b builds now, just without all the bells and whistles
  • EA_Aljo
    3056 posts EA Community Manager
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    I've been told they don't want to give us this much freedom because it creates meta builds and playstyles.

I see pretty much the exact same basic b builds now, just without all the bells and whistles

The intent was to create a more even playing field where skill matters most.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I've been told they don't want to give us this much freedom because it creates meta builds and playstyles.

Basic builds that offer nothing else only act as a limiter, especially for teams with fewer humans. Being shoehorned into very specific roles/playstyles isn't very fun.
  • Theres many ways to balance but give us the good old days back. Its basically not wanting to put the effort into the development. They only change cpu players names every few years for goodness sake lol. This years game play is great... improved but very much static as far as player builds and styles. I heard a lot of "more realistic" talk but these cookie cutter builds arent realistic at all... no hockey players are exactly the same.

Give custom builds another chance.. make the adjustments.. and give visibility into your opponents builds so there is no secret "god build". Just my 2 cents.
  • EA_Aljo
    booher04 wrote: »
    Theres many ways to balance but give us the good old days back. Its basically not wanting to put the effort into the development. They only change cpu players names every few years for goodness sake lol. This years game play is great... improved but very much static as far as player builds and styles. I heard a lot of "more realistic" talk but these cookie cutter builds arent realistic at all... no hockey players are exactly the same.

Give custom builds another chance.. make the adjustments.. and give visibility into your opponents builds so there is no secret "god build". Just my 2 cents.

Custom builds still very frequently resulted in a really high number of people using the same builds. There were no secret "god builds" because there were numerous YouTube videos showing how to get the most out of each build. Then, you had many people using those same builds. So, while you don't like cookie cutter builds, chances are good you were in the same situation where you were playing with people using the same builds as most everyone else.

I see many differences with how people set up their players. It's rare I see someone using the exact same setup I do. It's rare I see 2 defenders using the same builds. The same goes for forwards. I'm always checking out what others are using and there's really been no constant other than I see more defenders with defensive builds than forward builds.

The reason for not having custom builds like previously has nothing to do with a lack of effort. It was about having an even playing field where skill matters most.
    Theres many ways to balance but give us the good old days back. Its basically not wanting to put the effort into the development. They only change cpu players names every few years for goodness sake lol. This years game play is great... improved but very much static as far as player builds and styles. I heard a lot of "more realistic" talk but these cookie cutter builds arent realistic at all... no hockey players are exactly the same.

Custom builds still very frequently resulted in a really high number of people using the same builds. There were no secret "god builds" because there were numerous YouTube videos showing how to get the most out of each build. Then, you had many people using those same builds. So, while you don't like cookie cutter builds, chances are good you were in the same situation where you were playing with people using the same builds as most everyone else.

I see many differences with how people set up their players. It's rare I see someone using the exact same setup I do. It's rare I see 2 defenders using the same builds. The same goes for forwards. I'm always checking out what others are using and there's really been no constant other than I see more defenders with defensive builds than forward builds.

The reason for not having custom builds like previously has nothing to do with a lack of effort. It was about having an even playing field where skill matters most.

I see tons of people using the same size sniper builds... same 3 traits. It doesnt matter if its custom builds or cookie cutters.. you get people who use the same builds. People will always find ways to exploit.. just like the glitch goals of old. Wont be able to please everyone... but the game to me is getting stale.. adding dancing and goofy pregame animations does nothing for the majority of people that I've talked to or seen comment.

If they take the time to make each category matter then you'd see different play styles and different builds. Personally on our team we all use 5 different player builds.. depending on how we feel like playing. Maybe i wanna destroy people with checks and stand in front.. maybe i wanna snipe and use speed.. point being we used to always tinker around and make different guys plus it gave you something to shoot for.. let me get to superstar 2 so i unlock something that matters.

Personally id say give everyone the same points from the beginning... use them how you want... but make each category matter. I like the grind factor but i can see why people dont.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I see tons of people using the same size sniper builds... same 3 traits. It doesnt matter if its custom builds or cookie cutters.. you get people who use the same builds. People will always find ways to exploit.. just like the glitch goals of old. Wont be able to please everyone... but the game to me is getting stale.. adding dancing and goofy pregame animations does nothing for the majority of people that I've talked to or seen comment.

If they take the time to make each category matter then you'd see different play styles and different builds. Personally on our team we all use 5 different player builds.. depending on how we feel like playing. Maybe i wanna destroy people with checks and stand in front.. maybe i wanna snipe and use speed.. point being we used to always tinker around and make different guys plus it gave you something to shoot for.. let me get to superstar 2 so i unlock something that matters.

Personally id say give everyone the same points from the beginning... use them how you want... but make each category matter. I like the grind factor but i can see why people dont.

If you're given the points from the beginning, you won't have anything to work for. Other than cosmetics which you don't seem to have a desire for. So, just giving them out kind of goes against working to build your player.

It also seems like you're saying you're tired of seeing people use the same builds, yet your team mixes it up by using different builds. There are many different options available and I very frequently see a mix of them being used. We aren't forcing people into cookie cutter builds as you have many combinations of traits and specializations to tailor your player to your needs. Everyone started with the same basic build in the previous generation and used their points to boost the attributes they wanted. You can also do that now through traits and specializations. I understand it's not as precise as the old system though. You also can't adjust flex and skate radius. It would be good to see those make a return.

No matter what system you give people, there are going to be those that focus purely on the numbers and getting the biggest advantage. The idea behind the current system was to even things out and make the game more skill based than relying on boosting a couple of core attributes for each build.

If you're given the points from the beginning, you won't have anything to work for. Other than cosmetics which you don't seem to have a desire for. So, just giving them out kind of goes against working to build your player.

It also seems like you're saying you're tired of seeing people use the same builds, yet your team mixes it up by using different builds. There are many different options available and I very frequently see a mix of them being used. We aren't forcing people into cookie cutter builds as you have many combinations of traits and specializations to tailor your player to your needs. Everyone started with the same basic build in the previous generation and used their points to boost the attributes they wanted. You can also do that now through traits and specializations. I understand it's not as precise as the old system though. You also can't adjust flex and skate radius. It would be good to see those make a return.

No matter what system you give people, there are going to be those that focus purely on the numbers and getting the biggest advantage. The idea behind the current system was to even things out and make the game more skill based than relying on boosting a couple of core attributes for each build.

Right.. the customization isnt as much. There are limited traits vs getting to customize every attribute. My point behind the giving all the points from the beginning was because of past posts and seeing complaints that people dont have enough time to grind as much as some. Agreed with the flex and radius as well.

My team always mixes builds such as grinder.. power forward.. sniper.. my point is i see a ton of 5'7 snipers. If the argument is people will just copy same build with same attributes.. same thing with traits and specialization. It can be argued either way.

I have other issues with the game mode as well but this was about the cookie cutter builds lol
  • EA_Aljo

Right.. the customization isnt as much. There are limited traits vs getting to customize every attribute. My point behind the giving all the points from the beginning was because of past posts and seeing complaints that people dont have enough time to grind as much as some. Agreed with the flex and radius as well.

My team always mixes builds such as grinder.. power forward.. sniper.. my point is i see a ton of 5'7 snipers. If the argument is people will just copy same build with same attributes.. same thing with traits and specialization. It can be argued either way.

I have other issues with the game mode as well but this was about the cookie cutter builds lol

I just don't think the builds are as cookie cutter as people think. Sure, you start out with the same base stats, but you have many options to customize it. Which is how it was before as well, but with a different system. Everyone started with the same build and then added points to customize it. Now, traits and specializations make up for those points. I know the previous system made you feel like you had more control over your player, but you are achieving similar results with the current system. Except for speed. That's the one area you can't change and I don't mind. You can raise speed by using a smaller player, but it comes with the tradeoff that you're going to be easier to hit.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    497 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    If it makes us feel better about it, why not just give us what we want?

I'd rather have a custom build that I actually enjoy and everyone else uses than to be annoyed with builds that only seem to limit my skills
  • EA_Aljo
    If it makes us feel better about it, why not just give us what we want?

I'd rather have a custom build that I actually enjoy and everyone else uses than to be annoyed with builds that only seem to limit my skills

What skills are limited now?
  • In my opinion some of the issue is well you choose a sniper.. you then cant hit anyone because snipers dont hit... well thats incorrect.. ovi is a sniper but he smashes people... well you are a playmaker so you cant grind in corners and muck it up in front.. well Joe Thornton is a playmaker and hes a great muck it up guy. Grinders cant pass.. well crosby is the best in the world at it and hes also all around great. So with having attributes you pick yourself.. you can customize a guy to say well i can snipe but i am also a hard hitter but i cant put my passing and puck control to 90 as well so im a 70 passer and 70 puck control. Not saying you get points to build a sidney Crosby caliber player but the builds now really limit the abilities. Adding in a trait that gives 2 points to something and removes 2 points from something isnt the answer. The old builds where you got a starting point based on player class then you choose where to add your remainder was a much better custom option in my opinion.
  • EA_Aljo
    In my opinion some of the issue is well you choose a sniper.. you then cant hit anyone because snipers dont hit... well thats incorrect.. ovi is a sniper but he smashes people... well you are a playmaker so you cant grind in corners and muck it up in front.. well Joe Thornton is a playmaker and hes a great muck it up guy. Grinders cant pass.. well crosby is the best in the world at it and hes also all around great. So with having attributes you pick yourself.. you can customize a guy to say well i can snipe but i am also a hard hitter but i cant put my passing and puck control to 90 as well so im a 70 passer and 70 puck control. Not saying you get points to build a sidney Crosby caliber player but the builds now really limit the abilities. Adding in a trait that gives 2 points to something and removes 2 points from something isnt the answer. The old builds where you got a starting point based on player class then you choose where to add your remainder was a much better custom option in my opinion.

Even if your passing is low, it's not like you can't pass at all. Lower passing means you have to aim better and you don't get the benefit of auto-saucers, but you can still pass. There needs to be a tradeoff with attributes so you don't get a player that excels at only specific abilities. What happens is what we saw previously with so many people choosing a fast, high scoring and high puck control build. I get that people want to be creative and I'm all for it, but you still end up facing the mostly identical builds. People tend to follow the meta rather than skills that benefit their playstyle as well as balance out the abilities of their team.
  • The majority of players want to be all-around stars (it's just more fun); if everyone was a 99 everything then at least actual player skill could dictate games more...

That said, I don't need nor want our guys to be 99s in everything but these forced tradeoffs just don't fit my personal style. Its different for teams like yours that have more humans; you're able to focus one one or two aspects -- players like me need to be able to do everything and its near impossible to play it all beyond our builds. I've already had to sacrifice a bunch of my playstyle to utilize the build to its fullest potential.

If I don't fight, why should I need higher fighting for my grinder? If I hip check what's the point of having any body checking stat? If I'm a winger or D man than why should I have 80-85 faceoffs? Its just wasted points that could be allocated elsewhere. Back in the day stats would get super expensive the higher they went but at least we'd get exactly what we wanted.

Why am I gonna up my core strength when it somehow reduces my shot? Some of these tradeoffs make little sense as well.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    The majority of players want to be all-around stars (it's just more fun); if everyone was a 99 everything then at least actual player skill could dictate games more...

That said, I don't need nor want our guys to be 99s in everything but these forced tradeoffs just don't fit my personal style. Its different for teams like yours that have more humans; you're able to focus one one or two aspects -- players like me need to be able to do everything and its near impossible to play it all beyond our builds. I've already had to sacrifice a bunch of my playstyle to utilize the build to its fullest potential.

If I don't fight, why should I need higher fighting for my grinder? If I hip check what's the point of having any body checking stat? If I'm a winger or D man than why should I have 80-85 faceoffs? Its just wasted points that could be allocated elsewhere. Back in the day stats would get super expensive the higher they went but at least we'd get exactly what we wanted.

Why am I gonna up my core strength when it somehow reduces my shot? Some of these tradeoffs make little sense as well.

I agree. My team has 4 people total. Its normally 2 of us playing at a time.. maybe 3. Rarely ever 4 and yes we could try to recruit more people but i play the game to have fun with my friends not play with random people. I can do that in drop in games.

You hit the nail on the head... wasted points on things id never use.. i dont touch the poke check hardly ever because it causes trips 90% of the time for me.. im not good at it so i dont use it. Id rather use those points on checking. The trait system was better than just straight builds but no where near better than choosing all attributes. Passing may of been a bad example on my part but you get the point i was making with the player builds vs playing styles. I play with a guy who never uses the dekes so why does he have to have points on it? Dipsy makes great points on why we need to go back to old system.

Thats fine.

If you guys brought the attributes and boost packs back. You could do it differently than it was.

Attributes should be given from day 1 no cards no nothing. You get your 5k attribute points or whatever it was for the first 4 years of Eashl

The 3+ 5+ boost should be unlocked like the traits are unlocked now

After that keep hockey bags but fix them. Eashl should have there own bags

Ones should have there own

So sick of getting hoodies and cargo pants in Eashl
  • zjordan23
    3 posts New member
    > @MOLLYSHatchet69 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Thats fine.
    >
    > If you guys brought the attributes and boost packs back. You could do it differently than it was.
    >
    > Attributes should be given from day 1 no cards no nothing. You get your 5k attribute points or whatever it was for the first 4 years of Eashl
    >
    > The 3+ 5+ boost should be unlocked like the traits are unlocked now
    >
    > After that keep hockey bags but fix them. Eashl should have there own bags
    >
    > Ones should have there own
    >
    > So sick of getting hoodies and cargo pants in Eashl

no way, you just don't understand. i love opening up a hockey rewards bag and getting hoodies and beanies as opposed to something that can really be used in EASHL games.
  • zjordan23
    3 posts New member
    the trait system was the best. it also gave you something to strive for--to make your player better. Now all you get is stupid hoodies, beanies or goal horns, which are useless. But EA does not care what the actual players of the game think so it will never change. unfortunately, the game will continue to decline.
  • I disagree with most in this thread. I rather have a balanced playing field and let skill determine the winner ... not attributes. Play HUT if you wanna be a “star”