EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

NHL 20 Patch 1.6.0 Details April 3rd

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I didn't think this was possible...

But the game is now a BILLION times worse than it was. AI is absolutely all over the place chasing the puck and ignoring the open man back door. And since the player switching didn't get a fix (STILL hasn't been fixed since last gen) we still get control of the player at the blue line or the d-man that's lost by himself in the corner, when the puck is in the slot area. Pucks bouncing off the goalies and trickling into the net are an absolute bane now. Don't know if the goalie fixes have anything to do with that, but in 10 minutes of game time, I've seen 4 goals go in off the goalie an in. Two of them low to the ice shots that hit the goalie under the pads and deflected in. And two of them off the arms.

Can't wait to see how EASHL plays! /Sarcasm

Should've left well enough alone, EA . But hey, now Marchand can lose the puck on a penalty shot.

I mean, that's a STUPID (though very cheeky) thing to put into a patch (especially this late into the game) but, umh... Well played, I guess. :p

We had a very rare bug where players could lose the puck at the start of penalty shots if they got going to fast, similar to what happened to him that we fixed. We didn't actually make him lose the puck if that is what you actually thought.

As for the other changes, I don't think they would be related to anything in the patch and would have been there before. You haven't liked the game this year so a patch with some improvements to tighten things up isn't going to change that opinion and when you go in looking at it from that perspective, you are granted to find a lot of things you don't like and associate it with the changes.

We spend a year making a game with thousands of changes and people don't think they can see a difference and that it is the same game as last year. We put in a couple of things to tighten things up and can somehow make it a billion times worse...

No one is doubting the thousands of changes you and your development team make each year with great effort. But to many and myself, those thousands of changes don’t always make the game feel new and feels like year after year, the same gameplay issues arise and giving the focus how the last two years has been spent on clothing for a mode which has numerous issues in its self (puck ragging, quilting, trolls, etc...) and changing what would have been a great game (NHL 19) left a bitter taste towards me and many others.

I recently just got the game from it being on sale and due to the unfortunate circumstances that’s happening around the world and ruining many things, I decided to pick it up. Personally, I think the game is a water downed version on NHL 19. Hitting seems to be nerfed quite a bit, which hampers defense and the bubble returning heavily which promotes selfish play. Hitting after the whistle was a fun thing to do with friends but that’s gone. Goaltending seems worse especially on breakaways/penalty shots where it seems they can’t stop nothing. Garbage like the one hand tuck is back for the third straight year. Goalies let in the same move numerous times a game which people just exploit time and time again. Circle in corners without losing an edge has not come back. Knocking players down and they still come up with the puck is stills thing. Puck magnetism seems more prevalent towards offense this year, again. Defensive interceptions without even facing the puck is beyond ridiculous and I’m talking ridiculous. That promotes bad defense and chasing players instead of playing your position and makes for unrealistic gameplay as well as encoring players to be more selfish and hog the puck more. It just seems gameplay took more of a step backwards in terms of team play (which is hockey about) to being selfish and trying to promote this whole “dangle, snipe, celly” bogus as the more encouraging and more rewarding type of play.

World of chel personally is just a waste of resources. There has been someone each year here on the forums that posts the number of uniform inaccuracies but get ignored each year. But having things like face masks and other wacky clothing is a like a gut punch. New Jersey templates are added but no socks are added along with them to match them. Hockey bags to me are just not needed. Why change an entire progression systems for a random equipment generator? If they’re cosmetic why not monetize them so EA can profit off it and help EASHL development more? I spend meaningless time hoping I get what I want when In NHL 18 I knew what I was gonna get when I hit a certain milestone. If there won’t be monetization of cosmetic items, they let’s do a player/club currency (finish games, wins, etc) so I can buy what I want for myself and for our club because I don’t want stock stuff I want custom stuff for club.

Players have been asking for things to return to the series that was on previous gen. Custom music, custom plays, EASHL practice but are thrown away for clothing I don’t personally wear since drops in is a mess and it’s very rare to find good teammates.

I mean I can go on about various things on the NHL franchise and whatnot, but I’ll leave it here. Again no one doubts the hard work your team puts in each year, but decisions about certain things and gameplay wise make it feel like it’s not much different each year.

This comes from a mostly EASHL player.
  • It’s great that my players are no longer taking passes in stride and that all dynamic pass receptions have been removed. I even tried a cpu be cpu game and the ai is no longer making the fancy passing plays to set up goals anymore, everyone is just hunching up in the slot. It was cool that the puck would occasionally glance off of a players stick if they weren’t in perfect position to receive a pass, now I have nhl 19 with the nhl 2019-2020 roster. Thanks guys, that’s the last time I ever give you my money.
  • Like I’m not even exaggerating, the cpu can only score off broken plays where they just kind of shovel the puck into the net. 2 days ago I was perfectly happy with this game, now it’s unplayable.
  • j0rtsu67
    463 posts Member
    edited April 4
    Like I’m not even exaggerating, the cpu can only score off broken plays where they just kind of shovel the puck into the net. 2 days ago I was perfectly happy with this game, now it’s unplayable.
    That happened already before the patch. Wait... If you say they can score ONLY off broken plays, that's a different thing though?
    I haven't tried it after the patch.
  • [quote="j0rtsu67;c-2125133"][quote="roadgunner6666;c-2125123"]Like I’m not even exaggerating, the cpu can only score off broken plays where they just kind of shovel the puck into the net. 2 days ago I was perfectly happy with this game, now it’s unplayable.[/quote]That happened already before the patch. Wait... If you say they can score ONLY off broken plays, that's a different thing though?
    I haven't tried it after the patch. [/quote]

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, I think the game became corrupted while it was updating. It’s working far better now. At least the weak side dman stopped taking a hike on odd man rushes. The pass receptions still aren’t quite what they used to be. I did just buy the game in the last few weeks though, so I imagine what I got for the download was the original version of the game, then it updated, and I got the new version, much like what happened when I bought nhl 19 3 months after it came out only to have the skating nerfed in an update a few days later. It would be nice if they could just perfect the game for release like they had to before digital downloads and online updates.
  • @roadgunner6666

I only play offline
    ...and what i found it s not the patch the problem it s the tuner ...
    I did the experience a couple of time ...reinstalling the game with tuner... no tuner...patch ..no patch...
    And somehow the tuner mess with the flow of the game ...and the skating...everything became sluggish.
    Since i only play offline i downloaded the patch . .and nothing else ..i play a ton last night with the new patch and it working pretty well..
    this game is pretty cool !

Cheers
    MRSENATEURS
  • For Franchise mode, to me the game is in an EXCELLENT spot right now. The only thing that bugs me at times is passing (even with pass assist on 100) - seems like passes get picked off by the CPU players too much, but that could just be me.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    For Franchise mode, to me the game is in an EXCELLENT spot right now. The only thing that bugs me at times is passing (even with pass assist on 100) - seems like passes get picked off by the CPU players too much, but that could just be me.

Pass assist won't change interceptions directly. It may help you not make an errant pass but the offense doesn't impact the defense and visa versa.

Interceptions are about reaction time (which is a calculation based on how your facing angle and type of reception and the speed of the puck/distance impact the reaction time).

Have you tried to tune down the pass interception slider in the gameplay sliders?
    For Franchise mode, to me the game is in an EXCELLENT spot right now. The only thing that bugs me at times is passing (even with pass assist on 100) - seems like passes get picked off by the CPU players too much, but that could just be me.

Pass assist won't change interceptions directly. It may help you not make an errant pass but the offense doesn't impact the defense and visa versa.

Interceptions are about reaction time (which is a calculation based on how your facing angle and type of reception and the speed of the puck/distance impact the reaction time).

Have you tried to tune down the pass interception slider in the gameplay sliders?

I'll try that today, thank you for the response!
  • untouchable_BF1
    617 posts Member
    edited April 5
    Hey @NHLDev and @EA_Aljo just wanted to say I really appreciate the AI changes you made! I have seen some of the typical scenarios where I previously used “house rules” to not pass to the wide open backdoor guy be actually mitigated by the AI positioning a guy there, where I can now choose to force the pass if I wish.

Based off of these comments, people haven’t really given you the best of feedback on the few specific scenarios you addressed, but I just wanted to say I notice it, and I’m really appreciative of it! I still think there’s room to grow in the defensive zone, but I’ve noticed scenarios by penalty killers and defenders on odd man rushes that seem to have DRASTICALLY improved so it’s really restored my faith that our voices can be heard.

Also Ben, did any of these changes happen to affect how AI teammates react in the 1-4 trap? I seem to notice a lot more neutral zone discipline by my AI wingers to actually just cover their far left and right zones. This might just be placebo which I why I ask, but it certainly seems consistent so I’d just like to give you guys props for that too if you believe your changes could’ve had an effect on this.
  • NHLDev
    edited April 6
    Hey @NHLDev and @EA_Aljo just wanted to say I really appreciate the AI changes you made! I have seen some of the typical scenarios where I previously used “house rules” to not pass to the wide open backdoor guy be actually mitigated by the AI positioning a guy there, where I can now choose to force the pass if I wish.

Based off of these comments, people haven’t really given you the best of feedback on the few specific scenarios you addressed, but I just wanted to say I notice it, and I’m really appreciative of it! I still think there’s room to grow in the defensive zone, but I’ve noticed scenarios by penalty killers and defenders on odd man rushes that seem to have DRASTICALLY improved so it’s really restored my faith that our voices can be heard.

Also Ben, did any of these changes happen to affect how AI teammates react in the 1-4 trap? I seem to notice a lot more neutral zone discipline by my AI wingers to actually just cover their far left and right zones. This might just be placebo which I why I ask, but it certainly seems consistent so I’d just like to give you guys props for that too if you believe your changes could’ve had an effect on this.
    Thanks. Definitely appreciate the follow up after trying it out.

The changes made were general changes to how ai players react to loose pucks and how they assess their positioning for pass lanes so it could impact more scenarios.

Thanks. Definitely appreciate the follow up after trying it out.

The changes made were general changes to how ai players react to loose pucks and how they assess their positioning for pass lanes so it could impact more scenarios.

Okay well it’s seriously the single-best gameplay patch I’ve ever felt in the generation of NHL games, I’m not in the least bit exaggerating. On the PP, if you center-drove for zone entry then sauced out wide and for your teammate to skate into it, all four PK’ers would immediately skate towards the puck allowing for an easy pass low then over to the backdoor. I’ve seen this problem literally 0 times in the 10+ games I played this weekend without touching a single strategy.

I also have not seen one 2-on-1 or 2-on-2 play get completely whiffed by the CPU’s like they did pre-patch. I’ve seen 2-on-1s played perfectly according to the strategies I have them set at. He backside defender is staying with his assignment until I really cut middle trying to get a better angle on the shot, he will then attack me as I have every team set to “puck side attack”. For the 2-on-2 scenarios, I think there are times where they could’ve been more aggressive on the carrier, but that would be nitpicking at this point because I truly do not want to undervalue how great this patch was for fully offline players like me.

Hey @Bmh245 I know you were someone who pointed out the flaws in the 1-4 trap with me. Have you noticed the improved discipline by your wingers in the NZ? I think it’s drastically improved. They still are a little too passive at times when the carrier crosses zones (I think this might be almost impossible to fix, as it’s a limitation of AI tech imo) but I’m consistently seeing great discipline from my wings and i haven’t seen the patented “AI skates across the NZ two times then all of a sudden your weakside wing decides he’s sprinting to the opposite dot” issue once!

I’m seriously so impressed by this patch, I’m darn near speechless. My offline games haven’t been this enjoyable this entire generation!
  • Hehe Nice to hear untouchable_BF1. Glad for you!

My own reflection.

Started bad, but mainly becuse of crazy lag spikes, never seen that before, up to 700-1000 ms. Hehe so it was hard to give it a fair chance.

This morning I gave up on my powerline and switch some connective settings and I was more back to normal. And I love the patch. I have read alot of critic around diffrent communitys. Might sound stupid, but when I read alot of bad stuff around a patch, myself get my hopes up. And I feel right about this one. AI is much more in the game, its so much easier to force the opponents in to the corner and they feel pretty much harmless there.
    And I could change up my strategi from the most defensive to a much more offensive style, I can count on my AI on the forecheck on a whole nother level.

And it seems like you can't hold on to the puck as long as you could before, you get under preassure and forced to make a bad pass.. Its good that not every pass sit on the tape. And that passing seems much more important now then before!

Great Job, Keep up!
  • What did you do with Snoop? Why isn't he anymore in game?
  • What did you do with Snoop? Why isn't he anymore in game?

Lets hope hes noy3
  • EA_Aljo
    1331 posts EA Community Manager
    What did you do with Snoop? Why isn't he anymore in game?

He's still in. Did you happen to turn off guest commentary in the settings?
  • Kuoppala666
    4 posts New member
    [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2125457"][quote="Kuoppala666;c-2125430"]What did you do with Snoop? Why isn't he anymore in game?[/quote]

He's still in. Did you happen to turn off guest commentary in the settings?[/quote]

No I didn't. I double checked. And someone Else said he disappeared too.
  • @EA_Aljo What happened to more people being added for guest commentary in-game.
  • NHLDev
    edited April 6
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Hehe Nice to hear untouchable_BF1. Glad for you!

My own reflection.

Started bad, but mainly becuse of crazy lag spikes, never seen that before, up to 700-1000 ms. Hehe so it was hard to give it a fair chance.

This morning I gave up on my powerline and switch some connective settings and I was more back to normal. And I love the patch. I have read alot of critic around diffrent communitys. Might sound stupid, but when I read alot of bad stuff around a patch, myself get my hopes up. And I feel right about this one. AI is much more in the game, its so much easier to force the opponents in to the corner and they feel pretty much harmless there.
    And I could change up my strategi from the most defensive to a much more offensive style, I can count on my AI on the forecheck on a whole nother level.

And it seems like you can't hold on to the puck as long as you could before, you get under preassure and forced to make a bad pass.. Its good that not every pass sit on the tape. And that passing seems much more important now then before!

Great Job, Keep up!

That is a funny perspective to basically see people that have a different outlook to you and hope they have a negative view of something as a way to know if you may like it. There are definitely people that get upset when we improve exploits they were taking advantage of and those changes would obviously be better for anyone looking for a more realistic experience and something we would always fix anyways. When they voice their displeasure, they just say the update broke the game and others agree with them not realizing the reasons why differ greatly. So it is hard to judge sentiment after an update without going into the details.

The other thing that happens with updates is that a line gets drawn in the sand and anything that happens poorly after that time is attributed to the update. That can either be people expecting the update to be able to do even more than it has and bringing up original issues again but with bigger weight because it doesn't meet their expectations post update or even existing issues that were just part of the game getting a bigger call out because they happened after the update. Sometimes that leads to people also saying that something has changed that we haven't actually changed as well (ie goalies are worse, skating is slower, etc.) so we need to dive into those details as well before we know what someone is seeing/feeling and calling out.

We keep a good ear to the ground after we do these things, get in and watch a lot of people play (It is great that so many people stream and give tons of candid feedback while playing) and play the game a ton ourselves. Although there is more we would like to do, I am happy with the progress of the update and feel it moved the game forward. Glad you are seeing that progress too.
  • Sega82mega
    990 posts Member
    edited April 6
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Hehe Nice to hear untouchable_BF1. Glad for you!

My own reflection.

Great Job, Keep up!

That is a funny perspective to basically see people that have a different outlook to you and hope they have a negative view of something as a way to know if you may like it. There are definitely people that get upset when we improve exploits they were taking advantage of and those changes would obviously be better for anyone looking for a more realistic experience and something we would always fix anyways. When they voice their displeasure, they just say the update broke the game and others agree with them not realizing the reasons why differ greatly. So it is hard to judge sentiment after an update without going into the details.

The other thing that happens with updates is that a line gets drawn in the sand and anything that happens poorly after that time is attributed to the update. That can either be people expecting the update to be able to do even more than it has and bringing up original issues again but with bigger weight because it doesn't meet their expectations post update or even existing issues that were just part of the game getting a bigger call out because they happened after the update. Sometimes that leads to people also saying that something has changed that we haven't actually changed as well (ie goalies are worse, skating is slower, etc.) so we need to dive into those details as well before we know what someone is seeing/feeling and calling out.

We keep a good ear to the ground after we do these things, get in and watch a lot of people play (It is great that so many people stream and give tons of candid feedback while playing) and play the game a ton ourselves. Although there is more we would like to do, I am happy with the progress of the update and feel it moved the game forward. Glad you are seeing that progress too.

You sound very wise, the game is in good hands!

Just becuse it was 'easy' to score 'that way' before the patch it dosent automatically meen the game sucks becuse it dosent work anymore. Continue in this direction with small step here and there, we will get there!

* And im almost like untouchable_BF1 speechless, from my online HUT perspective, I will now most definitely get my hockey fix over the summer. Feels like some pretty dope goals is about to happen! :blush:

Gg!
    Post edited by Sega82mega on