EA Forums - Banner

How to win puck battles???

I need help with how to win puck battles.
I usually go with the positioning, getting myself between the puck and my opponent, but majority of time, he gets it after I hear the sound of the stick hitting, like a lift stick, but there is no animation of lift stick. I don't think it's a poke neither or I would have gotten a powerplay for his trip. I usually let go all the control so my player can pick it up and as soon as he does, I skate, but then I lose again the control of the puck.

Replies

• losing the puck is totally broken in this game. To win puck battles you have to have stick-on-stick. This means you need to use vision control to orient yourself facing the puck. Do not play with your back to the puck.
  • It is definitely broken... so many times I go to a puck battle, I win by doing nothing, try to go out of the way of my opponent, lose puck suddenly to that opponent with the sound of lift check or poke(???), even though he was behind me...
    does not make sense....
  • Basically you just gotta pray you pick the puck up when near it.
  • Flip a coin. The team that uses their skates more to get puck possession wins.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    Stick on stick or stick on body contact will cause incidental puck loss. The click you hear is a cue that it was stick on stick.

The stick won’t be able to hit your stick if it collides with body first so there is skill in angles and positioning to keep yourself between the puck and your opponent as you mentioned you try to do. You may also choose to chop or poke the loose puck to where you are going and then pick it up away from the crowd with more space.

Also consider pulling the puck over with your right stick right away as you are picking up to avoid incidental contact and/or protect it from the other player and then turn to skate the opposite of the side their stick is on or skate further away from them first before turning, again to avoid incidental.

The best players will use those slight rolls of both their left and right stick to keep those angles and to continue to roll off the player. Some are also good at recognizing that they will lose it and playing to that puck loss to pick it back up again on the other side as the puck will keep going on the direction it was before the incidental contact. So you can pull the puck over with your right stick knowing it will collide with an opponents leg, letting the puck slide through behind them and then you avoid and grab it again on the other side, sort of like a very subtle loose puck deke.

It’s good to take time to practice this sort of thing in practice mode with different combinations of opponents such as 1 on 1, 1 on 2 and 1 on 3 to get used to it.

Make sure you have it set to game style 3 offline to use the same setting as online regarding incidental contact.

See how well you can do it just with the left stick to control the rates of your turns relative to where your opponents stick is and then start to use your right stick to manipulate the stick with the puck to give you more leverage and reach to avoid hitting the puck. If you hold the puck away and drive with your legs through their stick first, stick on stick won’t register for x frames after as it simulates your legs having pushed their stick away and eliminating it from getting in there.

I know it may be difficult through text but hopefully some of that helps.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Stick on stick or stick on body contact will cause incidental puck loss. The click you hear is a cue that it was stick on stick.

The stick won’t be able to hit your stick if it collides with body first so there is skill in angles and positioning to keep yourself between the puck and your opponent as you mentioned you try to do. You may also choose to chop or poke the loose puck to where you are going and then pick it up away from the crowd with more space.

Also consider pulling the puck over with your right stick right away as you are picking up to avoid incidental contact and/or protect it from the other player and then turn to skate the opposite of the side their stick is on or skate further away from them first before turning, again to avoid incidental.

The best players will use those slight rolls of both their left and right stick to keep those angles and to continue to roll off the player. Some are also good at recognizing that they will lose it and playing to that puck loss to pick it back up again on the other side as the puck will keep going on the direction it was before the incidental contact. So you can pull the puck over with your right stick knowing it will collide with an opponents leg, letting the puck slide through behind them and then you avoid and grab it again on the other side, sort of like a very subtle loose puck deke.

It’s good to take time to practice this sort of thing in practice mode with different combinations of opponents such as 1 on 1, 1 on 2 and 1 on 3 to get used to it.

Make sure you have it set to game style 3 offline to use the same setting as online regarding incidental contact.

See how well you can do it just with the left stick to control the rates of your turns relative to where your opponents stick is and then start to use your right stick to manipulate the stick with the puck to give you more leverage and reach to avoid hitting the puck. If you hold the puck away and drive with your legs through their stick first, stick on stick won’t register for x frames after as it simulates your legs having pushed their stick away and eliminating it from getting in there.

I know it may be difficult through text but hopefully some of that helps.

I’m wondering which dman build in eashl that leans towards winning the most puck battles. And which attributes help you win an incidental contact/puck battle