EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Sick and tired of checking not working as it should.

Prev134
SturmWolfe
126 posts Member
22kv7age4n68.jpg

I body check, stick lift, and poke check but for whatever reason they maintain puck control.

That or the puck goes straight to their team mate after checking them.

My defense does literally nothing to help.

Yet all he does is skate around in circles and I get called for a penalty because it's a last resort because CHECKING DOESN'T WORK.

This only seems to be the case is there is a server issue.

I am hardwired, port forwarding enabled per xbox's website AND ea sports recommendations. 300Mbps connection.
I am an IT network technician by trade. I also worked for the ISP here for 3 and a half years. It's not my connection.

This game has serious desync issues.

Why hasn't this been addressed? It's 2020.

Replies

• SturmWolfe wrote: »
    22kv7age4n68.jpg

I body check, stick lift, and poke check but for whatever reason they maintain puck control.

That or the puck goes straight to their team mate after checking them.

My defense does literally nothing to help.

Yet all he does is skate around in circles and I get called for a penalty because it's a last resort because CHECKING DOESN'T WORK.

This only seems to be the case is there is a server issue.

I am hardwired, port forwarding enabled per xbox's website AND ea sports recommendations. 300Mbps connection.
    I am an IT network technician by trade. I also worked for the ISP here for 3 and a half years. It's not my connection.

This game has serious desync issues.

Why hasn't this been addressed? It's 2020.

If you want and can record a full game or just problematic parts of one, I can watch it and tell you what I think might be the issue. Sometimes, it is just a matter of timing. It can also be because you do the wrong move (check when you need to poke, poke when you need to stick lift, etc...) It is almost impossible to tell without looking at what you’re doing. I’m not saying it is not the game, but it is very hard to play decent defense this year, so it might be some little errors on your side. Just by moving your player slightly, it will change the results.
  • SturmWolfe
    126 posts Member
    I apologize in advance for my language in the video. I win this game but you can tell something is really not right. lol

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615431056?tt_medium=mobile_web_share&tt_content=vod
  • Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?
    I apologize in advance for my language in the video. I win this game but you can tell something is really not right. lol

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615431056?tt_medium=mobile_web_share&tt_content=vod

From what I’ve seen, it seems to be because you choose the wrong move when you get scored or take a penalty. You’re quite aggressive too, from time to time, it costs you when it doesn’t work. Let’s take the first goal against you for exemple, your opponent get the puck in the middle of the ice quite far from the net with your players positioned to block the shot if he takes one. You skated toward the player, that’s fine, but instead of hitting him, you go for a poke that didn’t work due to how close you were and your positioning. It would have been better to either hit with the speed that you had, or play more carefully and just get closer to block the shot lane and/or stick lift if you get close enough before he passes. Then he passes in the corner, and once again, you go aggressively toward him, you try to hit him unsuccessfully when the best play IMO would have been to contain him there (they can’t score from the corner or behind the net, so it is better to wait for them to make a mistake or pass). Both of the two first penalties that you get, you should have played more conservatively and just place your stick beside him, don’t try to get the puck unless you’re sure that your stick won’t hit his skates or legs too hard. Very often, just by standing near and blocking some of the options, they will make a mistake and loose the puck. So my main advice, would be to be more careful and if you’re not sure, just stay positioned. You will give less goals playing that way, than aggressively like you do. Keep in mind that Offence is overpowered, so it is not exactly like in real hockey, you need to play as if it was always Gretzky if front of you, due to the lack of effectiveness and level of difficulty of the defensive tools. Try to use your player and stick, just to block the pass/shot lanes and keep your opponent close to the board and other low risk places on the ice. It will help a lot if you do so.

You don’t seem to be bad, so you should be able to improve your gameplay. Just be more patient and careful, it will keep your opponent scoring chances as low as possible. Playing super aggressively can work, but requires a very high level of thumbs-skills to make sure that you don’t miss and give your opponent very good scoring opportunities.
  • Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?

41 penalty minutes!?!?! :lol:
  • xPDogg65x
    682 posts Member
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?

Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?

The Hanson brothers would be proud.
  • Juppo1996
    192 posts Member
    SturmWolfe wrote: »

Yeah you seem like a fairly good player and you’re a lot better with the DSS than your opponent there but you are just too aggressive with poking. You don’t need to get the puck right away, just take away his chances and he will need to force a play. And watch the skates, it’s always a tripping call if you touch the legs or skates. If you can tone that down a bit I’m pretty sure you’ll shoot up the ranks fairly quickly.

Poking is just one of those things that are kinda counter intuitive in this game.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »

And still won the game, that isn`t problem. My record is over 60 minutes, so that´s far from it. My gamestyle is different, than others.
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited May 10

And still won the game, that isn`t problem. My record is over 60 minutes, so that´s far from it. My gamestyle is different, than others.

Which division are you in? If you’re in the top 3 Div, you must be really good to almost play the whole game shorthanded.
  • xPDogg65x
    682 posts Member
    edited May 11

Which division are you in? If you’re in the top 3 Div, you must be really good to almost play the whole game shorthanded.

More than likely just good at curling the stick back and not skating, exploiting the bad mechanics of the game. There’s no way someone is consistently winning games getting 40 Penalty mins a game
    Post edited by xPDogg65x on
  • EA_Blueberry
    2300 posts EA Community Manager
    edited May 11
    @SturmWolfe

First off, impressive game and as others mentioned you are quite skilled. You do a great job moving the puck around before taking your shots and also take them without waiting on a one-timer to open up. Kudos to that.

I was able to watch a little bit and this is what I was able to see. I have to agree with some others above regarding the aggressiveness with poke-checking. Most of the angles you took a penalty on you were behind the skater and I tried my best to capture the screenshots below of right before it happened. Those type of angles will get you penalized more often than not. These pictures (not video, the play button won't work) below were from the timestamp of 7:37.

It also happened earlier at timestamp of 4:35.

uc7c71lk0myy.png

6t8d5dniswy4.png

In this video at 8:27 this is the backskating to bait for a penalty move players are discussing here.

If an opponent sees you poke checking aggressively early on, they're more likely to try baiting you into more penalties by backskating or gliding.
  • ALSFJGJGJJG
    25 posts Member
    edited May 13
    xPDogg65x wrote: »

More than likely just good at curling the stick back and not skating, exploiting the bad mechanics of the game. There’s no way someone is consistently winning games getting 40 Penalty mins a game

My playstyle is different than that crap. 41 minutes, that is two game misconducts. I´m division 5 in Rivals and seasons. Yes, if I was in top 3 divisions, maybe they punished powerplay. My point was, that checking is so easy. Timing is the key. I play lot of shorthanded and I´m pretty good as it. That´s why I won games with lot of penalties.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Tonysl79
    454 posts Member
    You can definitely score shorthanded goals this year pretty easily. If your winning by 2 or 3 goals and go on the power play you might as well figure they are going to score a shorty. All your opponent has to do is get the puck, race down the ice and pretty much shoot from anywhere and it will find the back of the net. It’s computer programming to keep games competitive (dda).
  • There’s no such thing as DDA, other factors are making it seems like DDA but it’s not. When you get on Power Play, your strategies change. You will be using the PP strategy that you select in your settings instead, which are quite aggressive and don’t focus on defence and breakaways. If you’re not careful, a bad pass or play can result in a bad turnover with no defencemen near because they were too deep. Then, you have the fact that most people use some offensive players instead of defensive players on PP, it doesn’t help if the players are not good at poking or any other defensive skills. Defense is already at a disadvantage this year, so reducing attributes won’t help. You also have the element of surprise or overconfidence that could affect it. Most people think that they won as soon as the penalty is called, they will be cocky and make mistakes. That happens in real life too.

Anyway, there’s probably other factors that can explain why it is that way.
  • Tonysl79
    454 posts Member
    I know dda doesn’t exist even though ea has the patent for it and implements it in their games for more competitive gameplay which is its exact purpose as you look up its definition according to ea. But it doesn’t exist.
  • I just have a problem with checking either with the body and the stick not being effective.

I keep seeing responses about what I'm doing wrong.

That was not the point of the video. If you didn't notice. My emphasis was on how I have to check a player multiple times to get the puck. If you watch videos on checking. You can see there is a difference in responses by the player getting checked. Just because a player is gliding around holding the puck on their forehand. Doesn't mean they can't be checked. You push them from the side, they just brush off of you. You push them from the back they bounce off of you. You push them directly from the front and they stagger slightly.

Either one of two things happen in that case. They stagger but somehow maintain puck possession. Yet the player your controlling for some reason gets stuck in an animation instead of skating towards the puck. That's when the second part usually happens. Before your player comes out of their pointless animation that somehow is slowly to react to the player you just checked... Their team mate is usually right on the puck to gain a breakaway.

Similar instances happen when you poke check your opponent. Instead of leaving your poke animation and skating towards the puck. Your player actually slows down and your opponent's compy already has the puck again. That or your poke check is completely ineffective and your opponent's stick somehow magically extends beyond their actual reach and get a breakaway.

What's the point?
    That's why I took penalties because nothing was working.

On the other hand. All the work I am doing to gain puck possession really seems like no effort on the opponent's end. Because 90% of the time they are just switching out and using their compys to take the puck. When normally there would be a penalty when playing offline. No compys take penalties online. So there is literally no trade off when using your compys to defend or forecheck. Most call it skill zoning but that is only if you are strictly playing one position. However, it is an exploit. Players are using their compys to gain puck possession online because they KNOW they can't draw a penalty that way. Not to mention online the compys have no checking animations. So they recover a lot faster than the player.

That is my point.
    I just have a problem with checking either with the body and the stick not being effective.

I keep seeing responses about what I'm doing wrong.

That was not the point of the video. If you didn't notice. My emphasis was on how I have to check a player multiple times to get the puck. If you watch videos on checking. You can see there is a difference in responses by the player getting checked. Just because a player is gliding around holding the puck on their forehand. Doesn't mean they can't be checked. You push them from the side, they just brush off of you. You push them from the back they bounce off of you. You push them directly from the front and they stagger slightly.

Either one of two things happen in that case. They stagger but somehow maintain puck possession. Yet the player your controlling for some reason gets stuck in an animation instead of skating towards the puck. That's when the second part usually happens. Before your player comes out of their pointless animation that somehow is slowly to react to the player you just checked... Their team mate is usually right on the puck to gain a breakaway.

Similar instances happen when you poke check your opponent. Instead of leaving your poke animation and skating towards the puck. Your player actually slows down and your opponent's compy already has the puck again. That or your poke check is completely ineffective and your opponent's stick somehow magically extends beyond their actual reach and get a breakaway.

What's the point?
    That's why I took penalties because nothing was working.

On the other hand. All the work I am doing to gain puck possession really seems like no effort on the opponent's end. Because 90% of the time they are just switching out and using their compys to take the puck. When normally there would be a penalty when playing offline. No compys take penalties online. So there is literally no trade off when using your compys to defend or forecheck. Most call it skill zoning but that is only if you are strictly playing one position. However, it is an exploit. Players are using their compys to gain puck possession online because they KNOW they can't draw a penalty that way. Not to mention online the compys have no checking animations. So they recover a lot faster than the player.

That is my point.

Well, you asked us why it doesn’t work, so we told you. Just because you can hit, doesn’t mean that it will work or even be the best option. You have to factor in all the scenarios and take into consideration all the players around you that could take the puck back or even just your opponent skills/vision (he might see you coming and be able to move to dodge it). In your video, you do choose the perfect defensive play some times and it works. When it doesn’t, it is because you didn’t choose the correct tool or just didn’t used it properly. Most of them, you are too aggressive and try to get the puck even if though you’re not in a position to do so, if you were more patient and waited a little bit to get positioned better before starting to poke/hit/stick lift, you would have probably got it. Like in real life, your main job as a defenseman is to slow down the play and wait for an opportunity to get the puck without giving up good scoring chances. You want the puck so much that you don’t seem to think about what will happen if you miss, and when it doesn’t, you have what you complain about.

For the CPU teammates part, they almost never do anything. It is that way to help stopping skill zoning and also to avoid them from getting penalties. If they do go for a hit, they will suffer from the same thing as you. Everything they do, you can do too (depending on your thumbs skills). Most of the time, they are just chasing the player. If you keep the puck away from them, they won’t be able to get it. They are super easy to go around. When they take the puck from you, it is because you didn’t protect it and the auto-pickup function was able to take it from you. Some times, they will bump you, but if you keep protecting the puck or pass it, you should be fine. You don’t use your CPU to play for you, it won’t work against any decent players. Like we said, you seem to be good and make some good plays, the only problem is that you don’t always choose the best defensive tool or play, leading to your opponent getting more chances to score and when they are decent they probably end up winning. Defensive tools are underpowered in comparison to the offensive tools, so you need to be careful and really precise. That’s it!
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 19
    But how can a dev look at this and say it looks like hockey? That’s where I’m totally baffled! Look at 7:32 where the Coyote player “intercepts” a slap shot. What? Look how little cycling opportunity there is because the players all twist and turn so oddly and no one can really face the play or do t-pushes, crossovers, etc.

Watch, or better yet play a game of NHL on XBOX 360 and you can see it looks miles more like real hockey than anything EA has put out this gen. The puck physics were so much better back then and so was everything else except the graphics. That’s not progress EA.
  • EA_Aljo
    1316 posts EA Community Manager
    But how can a dev look at this and say it looks like hockey? That’s where I’m totally baffled! Look at 7:32 where the Coyote player “intercepts” a slap shot. What? Look how little cycling opportunity there is because the players all twist and turn so oddly and no one can really face the play or do t-pushes, crossovers, etc.

Watch, or better yet play a game of NHL on XBOX 360 and you can see it looks miles more like real hockey than anything EA has put out this gen. The puck physics were so much better back then and so was everything else except the graphics. That’s not progress EA.

The puck was not as dynamic and responding to real-world physics. There were many people complaining passes were too tape to tape and easy to connect with. The puck was made to be more loose and react better to edges, surfaces and material. This also means passing takes more skill. So, while it may have been easier to hit your target with passes, it wasn't more realistic in terms of puck physics.
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 20
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

The puck was not as dynamic and responding to real-world physics. There were many people complaining passes were too tape to tape and easy to connect with. The puck was made to be more loose and react better to edges, surfaces and material. This also means passing takes more skill. So, while it may have been easier to hit your target with passes, it wasn't more realistic in terms of puck physics.

Wait so you’re saying that the puck physics in last gen’s NHL games were LESS realistic than those in which the puck stops on dead a defenceman’s blade from a bullet slap shot?