EA Forums - Banner

Very Bad Lag

mraizreemer
1 posts New member
edited May 2020
Fix the lag immediately or your going to lose players. This is crap. I never had lag until about 2-3 weeks ago.

Replies

• I don't condone the attitude... but yeah, Thursday and Friday I was honestly waiting for a DC the lag was so bad.

Checked my connection, 100 mbps DL, not a great UL (which is typical) but my ping was outrageous. Looked like an EKG of someone having seizures and a heart attack at once.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4823 posts EA Community Manager
    @mraizreemer @ohjeezthisagain

We'll pass along the feedback to the team for you both. We've seen reports of this on the forums since more people starting jumping online once the lockdowns started. No word on any imminent changes to servers that I can share with you all now, but appreciate you letting us know how your experiences were over the weekend.

If you're up to try out any troubleshooting steps to see if things improve for you this week, we're always up to the challenge. Just ask and let us know what console you play on.
  • @mraizreemer @ohjeezthisagain

We'll pass along the feedback to the team for you both. We've seen reports of this on the forums since more people starting jumping online once the lockdowns started. No word on any imminent changes to servers that I can share with you all now, but appreciate you letting us know how your experiences were over the weekend.

If you're up to try out any troubleshooting steps to see if things improve for you this week, we're always up to the challenge. Just ask and let us know what console you play on.

The only way to troubleshoot anything with this game is to turn it off and play anything else. I've played NHL off and on the past few weeks and couldn't play more than 2 or 3 games at a time because of how bad the lag as been for at least the last few weeks alone.
  • THCmagik91
    3 posts New member
    This has nothing to do with more people being home. This just started as of recent. Couple weeks. 3 v 3 is pretty much unplayable. Out of 5 games tonight. We had to quit out on 4 before the puck even dropped.
  • I'll try to help. PS4, in Florida, I usually get on after 9:00 pm. Again, the lag last night. I mean, even cutscenes are lagging; the pregame skate, replays...
  • mraizreemer
    1 posts New member
    This is the worst I’ve ever seen it and I’ve been playing NHL since NHL 11. More frustrating than my kids breaking my 65” tv.
  • Question. I’m showing 20 ping and games are still lagging/stuttering. Is that an issue on my end or EA’s?
  • EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    Question. I’m showing 20 ping and games are still lagging/stuttering. Is that an issue on my end or EA’s?

I'm not seeing an influx of reports so we should go through some troubleshooting. Did you power cycle your modem, router and console?
  • Just to put my two cents in, the lag has virtually disappeared on my end. PS4 in Florida. Seemed to stop sometime Friday night.
  • zjordan23
    3 posts New member
    i tried to play last friday and it was unbearable in both 3s and 6s.

it has been this way for weeks. for them to say that it is because more people are online during lockdown is pathetic. Games like COD and Fortnite have so many more people playing than does NHL and i never have a problem playing those.

after saying all that, i plan to try again this thursday and hope that things are better
  • EA_Aljo
    @zjordan23

The lag was resolved in the evening/late afternoon last Friday EST. If you played earlier than that, you would have been experiencing it still. So far, we're hearing that the lag has cleared up since then.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Question. I’m showing 20 ping and games are still lagging/stuttering. Is that an issue on my end or EA’s?

I'm not seeing an influx of reports so we should go through some troubleshooting. Did you power cycle your modem, router and console?

I have several times. Sometimes the connection is great and sometimes it’s terrible. It’ll go back and forth like this for a few games at a time. I’ve had to quit so many games I’m not even worried about my CR at this point. Especially because I generally play C and you’re losing every draw when your connection is choppy. But when the connection is smooth it’s great.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I have several times. Sometimes the connection is great and sometimes it’s terrible. It’ll go back and forth like this for a few games at a time. I’ve had to quit so many games I’m not even worried about my CR at this point. Especially because I generally play C and you’re losing every draw when your connection is choppy. But when the connection is smooth it’s great.

Are you on a wired or wireless connection? What system do you play on? Also, what's your location? EASHL uses dedicated servers, but if you're in a more remote location you may be far from the closest server.
  • I’m on wireless but the modem is only about 15 feet away. I play on XBOX 1 and live in Vancouver.
  • xPDogg65x
    829 posts Member
    I’m on wireless but the modem is only about 15 feet away. I play on XBOX 1 and live in Vancouver.

Wireless sucks even if your Xbox is right next to your modem. If your only 15’ away just get a 20’ cable and plug in when your gaming, it’s what I used to do, the difference is night and day.
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    I’m on wireless but the modem is only about 15 feet away. I play on XBOX 1 and live in Vancouver.

Wireless sucks even if your Xbox is right next to your modem. If your only 15’ away just get a 20’ cable and plug in when your gaming, it’s what I used to do, the difference is night and day.

I’ve played both wired and wireless in the past and it played out the exact same. Even when the internet wifi tech wasn’t nearly as good as it is now. But anyway I can try it again thanks.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4823 posts EA Community Manager
    Having the router closer to the Xbox will always be better than having it on a different floor of the house or trying to transmit the data through multiple walls. Question though, is it the router given to you by your ISP or a gaming one you purchased yourself to use? Some of those routers provided by ISP aren't designed for gamers so you might not be able to use the full potential of your internet package if data is getting bottlenecked through your router. There are bandwidth caps.
  • The router was given to me. But anyway I reset it again the day before yesterday and since then haven’t had an issue. It was probably something on my end in this case.