EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Replies

• @nickprevost @AREAxxxxxxx51 @Treatmentworke66 @Sega82mega

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to ask you all a couple things here. It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience as of lately playing NHL 20 and I'd like you to list out the top 5 changes you want to see. Perhaps we can start focusing this discussion around those topics to get a conversation going.

My other question is this. Do you enjoy the game at all? Are there features of the game you really have fun with that we can let the team know to take note of? You gave specifics on areas you want the team to make changes in like defense, goalies, and AI (some of the biggest topics in these forums), but I know in the past working forums for a lot of our other games is that I'll see comments like "the worst game ever" but then on the accounts being pulled up those players are playing the game every day or every other day, so to me it's their version of conveying they're very passionate about the game and want to see it improve. Most people that play a game and move on don't typically create a forum accounts and actively continue to post.

When you pull up accounts showing they're playing the game everyday, its because you guys make the only hockey game. At least when 2k was around, you guys at least made noticealbe improvements year to year, after 14, not much has changed, nhl 20 still feels very similar to nhl 15 on the next gen consoles.
    It's hard to forecheck on this game, yet people skate right by you, you lose the puck... passes are being blind intercepted by AI when they're not even looking at it, yet ill be in a passing lane and the puck goes right past me 99% of the time...

The safety bubble around players need to go. If you're skating in a straight line with no creativity, you deserve a big hit... 14 was fine for this, the people went on and said "hitting is too overpowered" (those were probably the one skating in a straight line) so you guys nerfed the crap out of it.. please fix it...

Last this, these preset build are just getting old... please bring a progression system over to EASHL/drop-ins, actually make the coach's feedback mean something game to game. It would give us reason to play more, but won't be affective unless we get good gameplay.. not saying its terrible, but more so inconsistent..
  • EA_Aljo
    1451 posts EA Community Manager
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    Hands down the worst AI in any NHL ever made. Beyond infuriating how stupid they are. 0 hockey IQ or even common sense, dont pass when you call for a pass and does nothing but shoot directly into the goalies chest. Hands down the worst AI I've ever seen in any game. Pathetic EA get it right one time please.
    [Socair - edited for profanity]

You mean like this? You can clearly see the AI player push the puck BACK even though he had an open path to the net. The AI logic in this game is non-existent.

These things are so annoying and frustrating. The bad thing, is that I loaded up NHL19 played a few games, and hardly saw any of this illogical AI passing. So something happened between 19 and 20.

This looks more like incidental contact knocking the puck loose. I'm not saying the AI never make bad choices for passes though. I've seen that happen occasionally myself.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1255 posts Member
    edited May 11
    That means you only play occasionally, right? Because if you played, let's say, a single BaP game, you'd see your team mates botching passes all the time. They try that idiotic bank pass when there's no need or even anybody to receive the puck etc. The try passing when the receiver is not free, they take so long with passing that the CPU player is all over them and they give up the puck, they DONT pass when you call for a pass etc. I just want curl up and die when I play BaP. It's really, really, really BAD.

Whereas the CPU player passes all the time without any issues, always perfect pass, and always to the free player (which they are magically because the CPU knows where your guy is going and because you team mates are brain dead).

This is supposed to be a ENJOYABLE team sport, with so bad team mates, it's real pain to play at all.
  • I think right now game play is the least of concerns. Sure the game could be more fun and engaging but I think the biggest thing EA needs to fix is BE A PRO. Be a Pro has been left for so long, they really need to give it an overhaul. I think something like more of a story mode like Madden 20s face of the franchise or NBA 2K's career mode. They should also add more junior options (Europe, NCAA, Junior A etc.) IIHF tournaments would be good too like World hockey championship, Olympics, and world juniors, this would be great so you could earn a spot on one of the teams if you do well enough. The last thing is all star game, so you could make the all star game if you do good enough. It would also be fun if after you career you could continue on as a coach or manager like you can in fifa.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1255 posts Member
    No, no, NO :D .... gameplay is everything, it's the ONLY thing. If you get it right, everything else will be so much better. This game NEEDS the gameplay *fixed* so badly.... if you want to see a sob-story about hockey, watch those Mighty Ducks movies or something. I played that FIFA equivalent one year, and it was a bit meh. Plus you do it once, if even that. Gameplay is with us always, and it will define what this game will be.

Add silly game modes or fashion cloth items from the 90s will do NOTHING to improve this game.
  • @EA_Blueberry i honestly think you guys need to do something about skating, hitting/bumps and matchmaking cause those are awful. The fact that every player at the endgame has either high 90’s or 99 skating is bananas there is no way every player should have top end speed there are only a handful of players in the league that could have 99 skating like mcdavid, barzel, mackinnon just to name a few like in no world should Chris pronger, burns, chara, and players of that size ever have high 90’s skating because then you’re saying that they’re just as fast as the players listed above which is laughable.

Hitting or bumps are ridiculous the fact that you can just flick up with the right stick and make a hit needs to change you should actually have to have good positioning and aim where you are throwing the hit. So many times I’ll already by someone and then they flick up on the right stick and suck toward my player making that little bump which slows my guy enough for another player to get there. Like last time I checked when you get bumped in real life it doesn’t immobilize you.

Then match making is terrible especially for hut rivals and hut champs like I grinded to div 1 in rivals now I can’t play anybody that’s my skill level I’m always playing guys who are just filthy at the game or no life it. Then if you go and look at hut champs in the top 20 it’s like they played 20 games and maybe 4 or them were competitive or hard and the rest were a cake walk then you go look at someone like my self who played 20 games and at least 10 of them are against pro players or really good players and I feel like it’s the same for the rest of the players too.

Long story but no one has fun playing against players who are twice as good at the game then they are. There needs to be a skill rating for all online modes so you play players at the correct skill level not players that you can crush or players that crush you.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    edited May 12
    If you cheat your way up to div1, your going to pay for that. Cuz in div1 is were the best are, no mather how you defining, best.

Rivals matchmaking feels very accurate in my opinion. Im right now takin care of glitchers in div3 by trying to play a straight up honnest hockey. There getting better on the stuff they do but its usally a tight game with 1 or 2 score thats diff.

Hut champ is another story, but there so few games that can put you in your right class. Its sweety but kinda cool. For a weekend.

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to ask you all a couple things here. It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience as of lately playing NHL 20 and I'd like you to list out the top 5 changes you want to see. Perhaps we can start focusing this discussion around those topics to get a conversation going.

My other question is this. Do you enjoy the game at all? Are there features of the game you really have fun with that we can let the team know to take note of? You gave specifics on areas you want the team to make changes in like defense, goalies, and AI (some of the biggest topics in these forums), but I know in the past working forums for a lot of our other games is that I'll see comments like "the worst game ever" but then on the accounts being pulled up those players are playing the game every day or every other day, so to me it's their version of conveying they're very passionate about the game and want to see it improve. Most people that play a game and move on don't typically create a forum accounts and actively continue to post.

Weve all told you guys what we want for years. You say youre listening. Then, please if youre listening, do you ignore us? Go on twitter, reddit, fb, here....99 percent of us think this game is terrible, and for years weve warned you this was coming and how to fix it, and weve been ignored. What makes this conversation any different? You ask what WE want, then turn around and do what YOU want anyway and say it was based on community feedback. Who? The streamers and gamechangers? Cus if you look at social media like i have, youll get the answers to what we want, have wanted, have expressed to you guys, and are ignored.

Literally NOBODY asked for resources to be wasted on snoop, yet here we are. Weve told you menus need to be streamlined for years, yet here we are, game is too offensively minded and arcadey, too many scripted things and animations that make the games feel out of our control (hence dda talk), gm connected, and the hundreds of other little features you removed from the game and replaced with juvenile garbage, custom music back, gameplay that feels fair(you say its strats but i dont see a strat that makes ratings irrelevant on my screen, etc etc.....your answers are right here, on fb, twitter, reddit...always have been, yet you cant seem to solve the promlem. No offense but if a mathematician cant get 2 plus 2 to equal 4, maybe its time for a new mathematician.

• @Sega82mega i didn’t have to cheat my way to div 1 I’ve earned my way in there I started in div 6 and destroyed everyone all the way to top div 2 but that’s when I started playing nothing but great players which in a mode EA has said that it’s a causal game mode have clearly never played a game in div 1 before
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    @Sega82mega i didn’t have to cheat my way to div 1 I’ve earned my way in there I started in div 6 and destroyed everyone all the way to top div 2 but that’s when I started playing nothing but great players which in a mode EA has said that it’s a causal game mode have clearly never played a game in div 1 before

Well in that case, I dont know what you are suppose to expect. I think it speak for it self. Of curse you gonna run into some really good players in div 1-2. Maybe your in between, to good for div 3-2 but not good enough for 1-2. The only option I see is to learn from the losses and get stronger or to play another mode, like vs, for exampel.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    Hands down the worst AI in any NHL ever made. Beyond infuriating how stupid they are. 0 hockey IQ or even common sense, dont pass when you call for a pass and does nothing but shoot directly into the goalies chest. Hands down the worst AI I've ever seen in any game. Pathetic EA get it right one time please.

You mean like this? You can clearly see the AI player push the puck BACK even though he had an open path to the net. The AI logic in this game is non-existent.

These things are so annoying and frustrating. The bad thing, is that I loaded up NHL19 played a few games, and hardly saw any of this illogical AI passing. So something happened between 19 and 20.

This looks more like incidental contact knocking the puck loose. I'm not saying the AI never make bad choices for passes though. I've seen that happen occasionally myself.

occasionally? Watch more AI vs AI gameplay on All-Star or Superstar and you'll see exactly what he means.

I actually win more often on All-Star than Pro because I just wait for the AI to MAKE that stupid pass.

• My issue with gameplay is that every single game feels and plays the exact same. I mostly play offline and no matter what systems or strategies are selected every game is the exact same thing.

CPU looping in the neutral zone for minutes looking for a zone entry before they dump the puck. If they need to regroup have the full team actually run a regroup, go D to D, forwards curl, make good passes. The way it happens now is a disaster.

Dump/chip and chase doesn’t work well, boardplay is horrible, needs to completely be reworked

My AI is always in the same spot, doesn’t matter what break out I run, what forecheck or defense I run, it’s always the same. Zone entries, all my guys are always in the same spot. Doesn’t matter what I do. They don’t react to me at all. If you’re looking to setup different plays/realistic hockey plays you basically have to force them. Nothing flows.

Every player feels/plays the same. I think this has to do with the Attributes for everyone being so close together. There’s a 0-99 scale, make use of it! McDavid should be able to torch 97% of the league. He should be high 90s for speed acceleration, and agility. Make guys with average speed way lower, in the mid 70s maybe. Then you can have guys considered slow down in the 50s. This goes for all attributes, not just speed. Spread them out more. Everyone is so close together that there isn’t a noticeable difference between players.

This is my problem with the game crammed into a short message instead of a hour-long paragraph in Bens dms (yes, I've done that), from the lack of variety between games, to the lack of player skill difference, to the absolute atrocity that this game calls the strategy system.

Every game I play or watch (AI vs AI) is the same game.

• Steven5470 wrote: »

What happened was the game was SEVERELY sped up. You can see it in the game play and in the animations. The AI's reactions this year are just atrocious. They try to make up for it by hot potato passing, but it doesn't work.

Also, the illogical passing DID exist in NHL 19, it just wasn't as bad as it is this year. The passing on a breakaway is a constant.
  • My issue with gameplay is that every single game feels and plays the exact same. I mostly play offline and no matter what systems or strategies are selected every game is the exact same thing.

CPU looping in the neutral zone for minutes looking for a zone entry before they dump the puck. If they need to regroup have the full team actually run a regroup, go D to D, forwards curl, make good passes. The way it happens now is a disaster.

Dump/chip and chase doesn’t work well, boardplay is horrible, needs to completely be reworked

My AI is always in the same spot, doesn’t matter what break out I run, what forecheck or defense I run, it’s always the same. Zone entries, all my guys are always in the same spot. Doesn’t matter what I do. They don’t react to me at all. If you’re looking to setup different plays/realistic hockey plays you basically have to force them. Nothing flows.

Every player feels/plays the same. I think this has to do with the Attributes for everyone being so close together. There’s a 0-99 scale, make use of it! McDavid should be able to torch 97% of the league. He should be high 90s for speed acceleration, and agility. Make guys with average speed way lower, in the mid 70s maybe. Then you can have guys considered slow down in the 50s. This goes for all attributes, not just speed. Spread them out more. Everyone is so close together that there isn’t a noticeable difference between players.

Hey genius, you can turn attribute effects up to 10. That actually makes every player different.

Hey genius, you think I haven’t tried that? I’ve messed with sliders more than I’ve actually played the game. The players still don’t play any different.

okay, one, roadgunner, I've seen you around here before, you need to knock the attitude. Literally, every post of yours is extremely hostile. Take a chill pill.

Second, I've heard that turning up the AE slider to 10 actually gives BAD results. Even with it on 10, I don't notice a speed difference in players like McDavid and MacKinnon.
  • D19Box
    89 posts Member
    @nickprevost @AREAxxxxxxx51 @Treatmentworke66 @Sega82mega

Weve all told you guys what we want for years. You say youre listening. Then, please if youre listening, do you ignore us? Go on twitter, reddit, fb, here....99 percent of us think this game is terrible, and for years weve warned you this was coming and how to fix it, and weve been ignored. What makes this conversation any different? You ask what WE want, then turn around and do what YOU want anyway and say it was based on community feedback. Who? The streamers and gamechangers? Cus if you look at social media like i have, youll get the answers to what we want, have wanted, have expressed to you guys, and are ignored.

Literally NOBODY asked for resources to be wasted on snoop, yet here we are. Weve told you menus need to be streamlined for years, yet here we are, game is too offensively minded and arcadey, too many scripted things and animations that make the games feel out of our control (hence dda talk), gm connected, and the hundreds of other little features you removed from the game and replaced with juvenile garbage, custom music back, gameplay that feels fair(you say its strats but i dont see a strat that makes ratings irrelevant on my screen, etc etc.....your answers are right here, on fb, twitter, reddit...always have been, yet you cant seem to solve the promlem. No offense but if a mathematician cant get 2 plus 2 to equal 4, maybe its time for a new mathematician.

THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • D19Box wrote: »
    @nickprevost @AREAxxxxxxx51 @Treatmentworke66 @Sega82mega

THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^

Exactly why this game has terrible reviews and only two stars but it's in a good place

Just quoting again because of accuracy and the hope that someone at EA will take heed.
  • The game isn't that fun. The modes are pretty basic. My favorite mod win most games is career but the NHL career mode is so basic and boring. I think the career mode should be made more like a story like madden face of the franchise. Also add more junior options (ncaa, europe etc.), and the ability to make national teams like world juniors, world championship, Olympics etc, as well as the all star game
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 22
    > @Treatmentworke66 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yes there are it's ashame what they've done to this series ...just out of curiosity what are the most glaring issue's for you about the game you don't like besides the DDA ...for me it's the goalies and the unrealistic game play ,etc ....

Basically everything i've stated has made this game so unplayable for me. As you stated, goalies are a joke, gameplay is unrealistic. Gameplay is a bad arcade game and doesn't even try to resemble real hockey. Another huge problem I have is defense, which seems to be non existent in this game. Everything is geared toward the offensive player, the puck literally sticks to him regardless of how good you play D. Pucks go right through you, you have no idea how many times i have perfectly defended a cross crease pass or a 2 on 1 pass just to have the puck go right through me for a scripted goal. Happens all the time, absolutely ridiculous. Game is way too scripted and predictable. NHL 20 makes NHL 19 look like a masterpiece, that's how despicable NHL20 is. I really could go on and on, I just cannot believe EA actually released this garbage. All the technology in the world at their disposal, and this is the shameful and disgraceful product they put out.

You EA guys really need to take a long look at this post. I wanna know if you disagree and why? I think this post is so important to look at because for the most part he highlights to a tee what makes NHL less skill based than it used to be.

Doing the right thing is not being rewarded enough. Doing the wrong thing and having some choppy, random outcome favor the player who did said “wrong thing” (for lack of a better term) is somewhat rampant throughout this game and it’s only been getting worse. On top of that there are so many other things that make this a less skill based, more luck/random outcome driven mess at times. Too many times at that. Way too many times.