EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Are the servers on fire?

2Next

Replies

  • EA_Blueberry
    2859 posts EA Community Manager
    Rainedeath wrote: »
    Come on guys last 2 months has been unplayable.like whos sleeping on the job?

    @Rainedeath

    Can you define what unplayable is from your side?
  • Rainedeath wrote: »
    Come on guys last 2 months has been unplayable.like whos sleeping on the job?
    You do realize there's far more people online at any given time than there usually is, due to the overwhelming amount of people stuck at home, right?

    Network congestion. Your isp and every isp and their infrastructure between you and ea are all in the same boat. This isn't a problem for ea to fix. It's an issue we all just have to deal with until things start returning to normal life.


  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Might sound arrogant but I actually bealive im a really good player in nhl, but becuse some disturbing elements mess up my connection I cant really know. All I know is that the few times im experiencing almost zero lag, its amaze me how brutal simpel it suppose to be.

    I would love if they invest in some dynamite servers, the devoloper, the consumers and the game deserve that. Unfortunately I dont think EA people on this forum has the last Word when it comes to that.

    It makes a huge difference when you have a slight bit of lag compared to no lag. A HUGE difference.
  • Sega82mega
    1281 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Might sound arrogant but I actually bealive im a really good player in nhl, but becuse some disturbing elements mess up my connection I cant really know. All I know is that the few times im experiencing almost zero lag, its amaze me how brutal simpel it suppose to be.

    I would love if they invest in some dynamite servers, the devoloper, the consumers and the game deserve that. Unfortunately I dont think EA people on this forum has the last Word when it comes to that.

    It makes a huge difference when you have a slight bit of lag compared to no lag. A HUGE difference.

    Yes especially in a hockey game were fast decision often is a big factor of the outcome. If your up against a good player there so small margins on the ice that if one suffer from lag, he probebly end up loosing.

    I have never read so much complain from people like in this years game, were connection seems to play a much bigger role then previously Edition. But thats good, the more eyes, the bigger chance that something good is about to happen.
  • Rainedeath wrote: »
    Come on guys last 2 months has been unplayable.like whos sleeping on the job?
    You do realize there's far more people online at any given time than there usually is, due to the overwhelming amount of people stuck at home, right?

    Network congestion. Your isp and every isp and their infrastructure between you and ea are all in the same boat. This isn't a problem for ea to fix. It's an issue we all just have to deal with until things start returning to normal life.


    Sorry, I don't buy this for one second.
    -- Do the other 7 games I routinely play online lag or have connection issues? Nope, not at all.
    -- Do I have any network issues streaming Netflix or other? Nope, none whatsoever.
    -- All of my work stuff that I do online 8-10 hours a day? No issues at all.

    Literally the only place where I have lag issues.....NHL20. Its the only one. And let's face it, NHL20 is nowhere near as populated as many other online games are.
  • scrubes
    13 posts Member
    Guys there's clearly a server issue that they need to address. I doubt it's a traffic issue since there's no way there's more traffic on this game now than there is at launch time with no hockey being played in the past 2 months.
  • OREville
    2 posts New member
    > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > @Rainedeath
    >
    > Can you define what unplayable is from your side?

    I'd be happy to try!

    First, please let me define my interpretation of user lag vs server lag. It might be wrong, but it may help understand my/our experience with the frustration that I'll call 'server side lag'.

    We've all had user lag before -- the game stops on my end and then speeds up so that my game catches up with the developments that the other players have experienced while i was lagging.

    Server side lag, which I believe we're all experiencing now, is defined by just the game stopping and starting randomly. It could be every 10-15 seconds or it could be every 4 seconds.... but the main differential is that during server lag the game does not progress until the lag stops. This server lag seems to somewhat correlate with the network performance 'spikes', although the network performance graphs seem to miss a few instances of lag.

    Another way to explain the difference between these 2 lags would be to relate it to a twitch stream. User lag is like dropping frames -- the action still happens, even when the viewers are not able to see what is happening. Server lag, on the other hand, would be like a twitch streamer and the game simutanoiusly freezing in place for anywhere between 0.5 and 3 seconds, during which time the game does not progress.... then, with a flash, the streamer/game resumes as if nothing had ever happened.

    So when we say this game is unplayable, it is because it is very disorienting to have server side lag. Instinctively, we are all inputting commands assuming the game is progressing while we are experiencing server lag. Instead, the game was completely paused during the lag and therefore the player has to almost play 'statue' during the server lag... for an unknown amount of time. Then, suddenly, the game is back!

    This server lag is seen in the replays that happen between periods, in the starting introductions, and just about any time in between-- worst of which is during gameplay.

    I'd be happy to try and take a clip of this, if it would help, but this has been happening for weeks.
  • OREville
    2 posts New member
    > @OREville said:
    > > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > > (Quote)
    > >
    > > @Rainedeath
    > >
    > > Can you define what unplayable is from your side?
    >
    > I'd be happy to try!
    >
    > First, please let me define my interpretation of user lag vs server lag. It might be wrong, but it may help understand my/our experience with the frustration that I'll call 'server side lag'.
    >
    > We've all had user lag before -- the game stops on my end and then speeds up so that my game catches up with the developments that the other players have experienced while i was lagging.
    >
    > Server side lag, which I believe we're all experiencing now, is defined by just the game stopping and starting randomly. It could be every 10-15 seconds or it could be every 4 seconds.... but the main differential is that during server lag the game does not progress until the lag stops. This server lag seems to somewhat correlate with the network performance 'spikes', although the network performance graphs seem to miss a few instances of lag.
    >
    > Another way to explain the difference between these 2 lags would be to relate it to a twitch stream. User lag is like dropping frames -- the action still happens, even when the viewers are not able to see what is happening. Server lag, on the other hand, would be like a twitch streamer and the game simutanoiusly freezing in place for anywhere between 0.5 and 3 seconds, during which time the game does not progress.... then, with a flash, the streamer/game resumes as if nothing had ever happened.
    >
    > So when we say this game is unplayable, it is because it is very disorienting to have server side lag. Instinctively, we are all inputting commands assuming the game is progressing while we are experiencing server lag. Instead, the game was completely paused during the lag and therefore the player has to almost play 'statue' during the server lag... for an unknown amount of time. Then, suddenly, the game is back!
    >
    > This server lag is seen in the replays that happen between periods, in the starting introductions, and just about any time in between-- worst of which is during gameplay.
    >
    > I'd be happy to try and take a clip of this, if it would help, but this has been happening for weeks.



    @EA_Blueberry

    sorry-- I forgot to mention that this lag we're experience doesn't appear to be on the users end because, as an example, my buddy was listening to Spotify in the background of his xbox and reported that the music was playing flawlessly. Yes, I know that this eats up more bandwidth having this running in the background, but this same buddy has been doing this many years and many different versions of your NHL games and this is the first major instance of server-side lag I can remember for NHL 20.
  • mikeq67
    114 posts Member
    This is embarrassing
  • Yep. New routine: Log on with buddies, try one NHL game... Still lagging -- switch to Golf Club for the rest of the night.

    Cool story.
  • garrt9222
    1 posts New member
    Honestly, EA nhl should be ashamed of themselves. (1) EA clearly doesn’t care about the consumer enough to take care of servers for a full game cycle. (2) they are not publicly accepting their server failure outside of this website. (3) they are promoting the game on social media as if the servers are not in a current state of a dumpster fire. If you don’t care about the consumer enough to maintain servers throughout a games cycle your fraudulently inducing consumers to by your game while it’s broken. I’m sad because I have backed this game every step of the way but this is unacceptable.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1048 posts Member
    Rainedeath wrote: »
    Come on guys last 2 months has been unplayable.like whos sleeping on the job?
    You do realize there's far more people online at any given time than there usually is, due to the overwhelming amount of people stuck at home, right?

    Network congestion. Your isp and every isp and their infrastructure between you and ea are all in the same boat. This isn't a problem for ea to fix. It's an issue we all just have to deal with until things start returning to normal life.


    That's not the problem. This is either a server issue or some kind of network issue in the EA side.

    General internet capacity is fine. This is something that happens to EA NHL servers every so often for years. Same exact phenomenon.
  • EA_Aljo
    1474 posts EA Community Manager
    The current issue with EASHL lag is on our end. It's being investigated. It's occurring on the eastern server so if you have a club in a different region with mostly players from that region, chances are good you won't lag. This isn't an issue of us not caring. We're doing all we can to get this fixed. Apologies for the trouble. We ALL want to get back to smooth EASHL games.
  • DonnieATX
    2 posts New member
    In Texas with "Use best game location" set to "yes", this lag is present when I set servers to NA Central, NA West, and NA East. Now who knows where my opponents are located, but it seems lag is least frequent for me when it's set on NA East
  • jrago73
    463 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The current issue with EASHL lag is on our end. It's being investigated. It's occurring on the eastern server so if you have a club in a different region with mostly players from that region, chances are good you won't lag. This isn't an issue of us not caring. We're doing all we can to get this fixed. Apologies for the trouble. We ALL want to get back to smooth EASHL games.

    Do you still need reports from us during particularly bad times or is everything established and you're just waiting on the solution to be implemented?
  • EA_Aljo
    1474 posts EA Community Manager
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The current issue with EASHL lag is on our end. It's being investigated. It's occurring on the eastern server so if you have a club in a different region with mostly players from that region, chances are good you won't lag. This isn't an issue of us not caring. We're doing all we can to get this fixed. Apologies for the trouble. We ALL want to get back to smooth EASHL games.

    Do you still need reports from us during particularly bad times or is everything established and you're just waiting on the solution to be implemented?

    There was a change made last Friday that seems to have resolved the lag with EASHL. I played many games this weekend without issue and my club reported the same. If you're still experiencing lag in EASHL, let us know and we'll look into it.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1048 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The current issue with EASHL lag is on our end. It's being investigated. It's occurring on the eastern server so if you have a club in a different region with mostly players from that region, chances are good you won't lag. This isn't an issue of us not caring. We're doing all we can to get this fixed. Apologies for the trouble. We ALL want to get back to smooth EASHL games.

    Do you still need reports from us during particularly bad times or is everything established and you're just waiting on the solution to be implemented?

    There was a change made last Friday that seems to have resolved the lag with EASHL. I played many games this weekend without issue and my club reported the same. If you're still experiencing lag in EASHL, let us know and we'll look into it.

    Yep it was a welcomed change to get things back to normal.
  • jrago73
    463 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The current issue with EASHL lag is on our end. It's being investigated. It's occurring on the eastern server so if you have a club in a different region with mostly players from that region, chances are good you won't lag. This isn't an issue of us not caring. We're doing all we can to get this fixed. Apologies for the trouble. We ALL want to get back to smooth EASHL games.

    Do you still need reports from us during particularly bad times or is everything established and you're just waiting on the solution to be implemented?

    There was a change made last Friday that seems to have resolved the lag with EASHL. I played many games this weekend without issue and my club reported the same. If you're still experiencing lag in EASHL, let us know and we'll look into it.

    We had no problems either, glad it seems fixed.
  • EA_Aljo
    1474 posts EA Community Manager
    Awesome. Glad to hear the feedback, everyone. Good luck out there!
  • scrubes
    13 posts Member
    Yes thankyou for getting that fixed.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!