EA Forums - Banner

This game is TRASH!!! Really?!?

Prev1345
I wanted to speak to all the EA HATERS starting with a positive title instead of a negative one, but I knew that I would get a lot more clicks on my topic and I did the opposite. Why is that?

The Chel community is filled with NEGATIVE PEOPLE. Yet these people complaining about the game are the same who wish that the title gets better and lives forever.

Well if I could get you a piece of advice it would be to simply stop hating the game for whatever reason you may have. I'm not saying that the game is perfect, there's no such thing and never will be. But the negativity that the players bring is just a DETERRENT for new players. If people would start saying good things about the game instead of hating it, it would get more positive attention, thus it would catch the eye of more potential new players. And everyone knows that bringing more people to like something is a good recipe for longevity.

If you want to talk about how a bug or a glitch or a bizarre animation lost you the game it may be cause you were as just good as your opponent and it was a coin toss for the victory. There's a way to say things to make them better, instead of just complaining in your comments try to provide a solution and choose your words carefully. After all, if an NHL team would play a junior team, they'd not barely win by a goal but by 10-0!

Lastly, I've come by a lot of people who were proud of the team they never paid a dime for. I respect that and I've always been the guy who doesn't pay a penny for a video game. I even bought the very basic version of NHL 20 this year, no extra packs, bags, cards, gear or signed jersey ( Lol! ). But I started recently to only buy contract packs with my real money and I'll tell you why, which by the is at most 1,50$/week...

A few years ago I played a collectible card game at the local store because none of my school friends would play it. I was having a discussion with another player that I could either buy my cards at the store or buy the same cards but cheaper on Ebay or at Walmart. And his answer was this: '' Ebay and Walmart dont provide a place for you to meet your friends and play cards with them. so if the store cant pay its rent it'll close, then you'll have a lot of cards and nobody to play with.'' The same applies to chel, peolple complain that they're never going to spend a penny more for the game and that EA makes enough money like that. Chel is a small market that want to grow big and it's not yet close to something like COD, LOL or FIFA so they have to find the money somewhere to GET BETTER.

On the end note friends I hope that some of you may share my view. We all love the game and I want my Chel local store to stay open and healthy and not just have acquired all these skills but nobody to play with.

Keep your Head up! - Garde la tête haute!

Replies

• Mc41DMB
    83 posts Member
    Stop contradicting yourself & think before you rant.
  • Boy, that was quite the roller coaster of paragraphs there.
  • The last thing they need to do is attract new players that have never played this franchise before. They tryed that this year and it's been a disaster.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    As longest they dont circel in the corners or only try one hand tuck on a breakaway, everyone is welcome by me.. ;)
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    We are paying customers. Meaning, we work for a living and therefore buy stuff with our efforts. The product is bad, we are not happy with it, we want a better product that is actually hockey not ballerina-cheese-no strategy-no reward for having hockey IQ-mush.

I used to be a salesman. If I sold a product that was subpar I would hear about it from my customers. Sometimes I would lose business if I did that.

You know why I am a good salesman? Because I CARE about the people who make me money. We can have all the "constructive" talks we want. We can try to have all the nice stuff said as well. The fact of the matter is a lot of hockey enthusiasts feel abandoned by EA (and rightfully so) because the stuff we ask for and want (from a true hockey perspective) has been overlooked and replaced with gimmicks, aesthetics, and an effort to allow people who rely on abusing the flaws of this game to their advantage to be successful.

Truth. Sometimes it hurts.
    [Socair - edited out symbol use; don’t imply swearing please]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    There's one thing I'll agree with you on, and that is that we don't praise the good stuff they do enough.

The one problem with that, is usually a praise has to come with a caveat. Goalie deflections to corners? Looks great! ....when implemented properly. If you're deep in your own net, you end up batting the puck into your own net. Puck is moving 2km/h? I'll just slowly direct it to just inside the post.

Good skating engine? Great, but what about the L2 abuse?

It's just that most things are good, but not good enough. I don't think there's a single aspect of this game that I feel has an outstanding amount of polish to it.

I'd say the best thing they've done is with Franchise mode, but the poor AI kill that mode and in my opinion, there isn't enough depth to the mode to warrant a really fun sim experience. There isn't communications with the players, the coaches, the morale system doesn't really matter too much, etc.

They really need to work on the finer details like how they used to try to improve back in the day and if they do that, they'll be getting good publicity. Now is THE EASIEST time to win some sports game of the year titles. MLB is stagnant, NBA2k is pay to win, becoming more arcadey and their servers are absolute balls, Fifa isn't even soccer, PES has garbage AI in half the games you play and if NHL wanted to take the reigns and run with them they easily could.

Undoubtedly they have a great core to work with, but they need to represent the game of hockey better. There isn't an ambiance to the game that's true to life like NBA2k's does, they don't focus on the finer details like MLB does, the game doesn't simulate and have great physics like PES does, etc.

The one thing this game blows all the others away with is the offline tuning of the game. I can physically represent the game of hockey quite well offline, but they don't want online to be anything close to that.

With better permissions to the developers, this game could easily be the king of sports titles and without a doubt that'll get you new fans but they're too money hungry as an organization to go that route again like back in 2012.
  • smyth9779
    229 posts Member
    Honestly, I think online VS is pretty good right now. It's pretty realistic, it's the closest thing to real hockey anyone is gonna get with this game because all the other online modes are way over inflated with 99 players and cheese puck ragging goal scoring. I still dont understand how my 99 skt,99 speed and 99 acceleration players get outskated on a regular basis in HUT but hey, that's why I play online vs now. I'm 16-4 all with the NY rangers....not the best team on paper, but I know how to play hockey and when. You make hockey plays in online vs, they actually work a lot. So if your tired of cross crease, puck ragging, top corner cheese, play online vs. Its a shame it has to be that way, I mean after all, we buy the game to play all the modes and get the most for our money, but only half the game is playable at the moment unfortunately. But its hockey. So I'm happy with that for now.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    I feel the board is pretty alert, many on this forum that come with good constructive criticism. If we all can help out and the EA hockey team take note and keep on spining on the wheel they started, I for one, really looking forward to see whats next.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4809 posts EA Community Manager
    smyth9779 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think online VS is pretty good right now. It's pretty realistic, it's the closest thing to real hockey anyone is gonna get with this game because all the other online modes are way over inflated with 99 players and cheese puck ragging goal scoring. I still dont understand how my 99 skt,99 speed and 99 acceleration players get outskated on a regular basis in HUT but hey, that's why I play online vs now. I'm 16-4 all with the NY rangers....not the best team on paper, but I know how to play hockey and when. You make hockey plays in online vs, they actually work a lot. So if your tired of cross crease, puck ragging, top corner cheese, play online vs. Its a shame it has to be that way, I mean after all, we buy the game to play all the modes and get the most for our money, but only half the game is playable at the moment unfortunately. But its hockey. So I'm happy with that for now.

I enjoy a lot of Online Vs. myself. Maybe we need to get a game going sometime.
  • @EA_Blueberry sounds good go me. I'm on ps4.
    Who's your team?
  • EA_Blueberry
    4809 posts EA Community Manager
    @EA_Blueberry sounds good go me. I'm on ps4.
    Who's your team?

I'm on Xbox and no other than the Ducks. :)
  • There's one thing I'll agree with you on, and that is that we don't praise the good stuff they do enough.

The one problem with that, is usually a praise has to come with a caveat. Goalie deflections to corners? Looks great! ....when implemented properly. If you're deep in your own net, you end up batting the puck into your own net. Puck is moving 2km/h? I'll just slowly direct it to just inside the post.

It's just that most things are good, but not good enough. I don't think there's a single aspect of this game that I feel has an outstanding amount of polish to it.

I'd say the best thing they've done is with Franchise mode, but the poor AI kill that mode and in my opinion, there isn't enough depth to the mode to warrant a really fun sim experience. There isn't communications with the players, the coaches, the morale system doesn't really matter too much, etc.

They really need to work on the finer details like how they used to try to improve back in the day and if they do that, they'll be getting good publicity. Now is THE EASIEST time to win some sports game of the year titles. MLB is stagnant, NBA2k is pay to win, becoming more arcadey and their servers are absolute balls, Fifa isn't even soccer, PES has garbage AI in half the games you play and if NHL wanted to take the reigns and run with them they easily could.

Undoubtedly they have a great core to work with, but they need to represent the game of hockey better. There isn't an ambiance to the game that's true to life like NBA2k's does, they don't focus on the finer details like MLB does, the game doesn't simulate and have great physics like PES does, etc.

The one thing this game blows all the others away with is the offline tuning of the game. I can physically represent the game of hockey quite well offline, but they don't want online to be anything close to that.

With better permissions to the developers, this game could easily be the king of sports titles and without a doubt that'll get you new fans but they're too money hungry as an organization to go that route again like back in 2012.

100% agree with this post. Also, if you’re going to bring up PES, you gotta include their ball physics man!! You can tell the ball is truly loose and live when not in-possession. It’s such an underrated thing about that game, but the ball physics are absolutely immaculate lol!
  • Like what was said before, everything "good in the game" comes with problems. People are so negative because the mods that read these forums love the praise they receive but when they comment it shows that they likely don't actually play this game at all! If you want a good product then the people who produce the product have to want a good product. For every step in the right direction we seem to get two steps back!

The AI in this game is by FAR their biggest problem. The AI is DUMB but their abilities trump ANYTHING a human can do. We routinely hear that players don't use the AI to win games (not true) we hear they're not that good and if you play a REALLY conservative game you can win against them (if you play drop in or with friends who don't play ALL the time it's not true) showing that they likely don't play this game at all

One hand tucks are one of the WORST things added for offense. The goalie has NO built in logic to stop them. Mods asked us when we see these goals, showing that they don't play this game at ALL.

Players turning their hips to avoid hits (you bounce right off) they suggest we hit at a bad angle. I'm not sure how many sports the mods have EVER played but hitting someone from the side is ALWAYS more effective when trying to bring them down, that's just SIMPLE physics..

Players abusing L2 and we constantly hear that they "fixed it" it just seems to be abused more and more as time goes by. If you want to win games at a high level you're almost forced to play the way EA sees fit. They've said that hockey is changing so their game is. Unfortunately real hockey is not evolving ANYTHING like their game is. It's almost comical that we all know the lacrosse goal is going to be in NHL 21 and it's going to be completely broken.

Threes mode is great, this year they added eliminator. Now we have to close our app after so many games so it doesn't crash, there is no longer a way to have private games with friends, Mascots seem even more insane with their reach and abilities than they did in the last. The mode is still fun but ANY game you play against a CPU will be MUCH less fun and more irritating than anything and 60-70% of games will be against a CPU.

No online franchise, BAP is probably 7 years behind EVERY other major sports game, EVERY single one. HUT seems way behind still contract cards, the second I saw that I closed HUT and I've not opened it since. I hate Madden but MUT is FAR better and had salary cap mode so it's not always Crosby's and Gretzky's on every team! WoC feels like EVERY other mode because people actively try to get as many CPU's on their team as possible and try to face as many humans as possible for easy wins. EA says that they shouldn't punish players by giving bad CPU's so they punish people for playing with friends.

The game just has SO many flaws.. my friends won't buy it or play it anymore due to their lack of effort. They say they're trying and listening to people but honestly.. they don't even play the game themselves.. I would LOVE for the devs to post a Livestream of them teaming up and playing all the different modes in WoC, we could give input and ask questions and they can show what they do and show that they do play and see these problems.
  • smyth9779
    229 posts Member
    @EA_Blueberry sounds good go me. I'm on ps4.
    Who's your team?

I'm on Xbox and no other than the Ducks. :)

Well then hopefully sooner rather than later we won't have to worry about what platforms we are on.... the ducks? Easy W for me....haha.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Just watch out for hes Knuckle Pucks, it's deadly!

How comes the ducks Blueberry? Any history behind that.. :)
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    There's one thing I'll agree with you on, and that is that we don't praise the good stuff they do enough.

100% agree with this post. Also, if you’re going to bring up PES, you gotta include their ball physics man!! You can tell the ball is truly loose and live when not in-possession. It’s such an underrated thing about that game, but the ball physics are absolutely immaculate lol!

Honestly I'd crush PES nonstop if they changed two things, one being taking the legend regens out of their be a gm mode (because it's absolutely stupid to see players like Maradona at 17 year old prospects with amazing ratings, etc. and the inconsistent AI. Some games they play absolutely perfect and other games they refuse to play at all and intentionally run behind the opposing team and never get open for some odd reason.

The physics in that game are absolutely outstanding. The ball looks and feels exactly like the sport true to life.

Just look how smooth the dribbling, the headers, the shooting, etc. look in this game.

As somebody who plays the sport in the summer and winter, I am absolutely blown away at how good it looks still to this date. And you can't shoot the ball on net accurately if the ball is too far ahead of you, can't generate power if it's in your feet, etc. I honestly have no idea how the ball never looks like it's being sucked into animations. They've done such a near perfect job with the physics in that game.
  • RSall14
    613 posts Member

Honestly I'd crush PES nonstop if they changed two things, one being taking the legend regens out of their be a gm mode (because it's absolutely stupid to see players like Maradona at 17 year old prospects with amazing ratings, etc. and the inconsistent AI. Some games they play absolutely perfect and other games they refuse to play at all and intentionally run behind the opposing team and never get open for some odd reason.

The physics in that game are absolutely outstanding. The ball looks and feels exactly like the sport true to life.

Just look how smooth the dribbling, the headers, the shooting, etc. look in this game.

As somebody who plays the sport in the summer and winter, I am absolutely blown away at how good it looks still to this date. And you can't shoot the ball on net accurately if the ball is too far ahead of you, can't generate power if it's in your feet, etc. I honestly have no idea how the ball never looks like it's being sucked into animations. They've done such a near perfect job with the physics in that game.

Might be that they have an actual physics engine and not the animation based one we have in NHL.
  • RSall14 wrote: »

Might be that they have an actual physics engine and not the animation based one we have in NHL.

The reason is simple, PES built a SOCCER engine. The physics engine in that game is completely catered to soccer. This is why all EA games are animation-heavy, clunky, and make no sense half the time. Their titles don’t have that luxury, and the final product really shows.
  • There's one thing I'll agree with you on, and that is that we don't praise the good stuff they do enough.

Yeah man, those ball physics are stunning to say the least. Talk about a game with realistic shooting animations where it actually takes skill to shoot. Even FIFA’s finishing experience is laughably easy compared to PES. The ball looks “tethered” in all EA games, PES makes the ball look free and independent even if it mildly isn’t. Truly incredible execution.
  • EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    Like what was said before, everything "good in the game" comes with problems. People are so negative because the mods that read these forums love the praise they receive but when they comment it shows that they likely don't actually play this game at all! If you want a good product then the people who produce the product have to want a good product. For every step in the right direction we seem to get two steps back!

The AI in this game is by FAR their biggest problem. The AI is DUMB but their abilities trump ANYTHING a human can do. We routinely hear that players don't use the AI to win games (not true) we hear they're not that good and if you play a REALLY conservative game you can win against them (if you play drop in or with friends who don't play ALL the time it's not true) showing that they likely don't play this game at all

One hand tucks are one of the WORST things added for offense. The goalie has NO built in logic to stop them. Mods asked us when we see these goals, showing that they don't play this game at ALL.

Players turning their hips to avoid hits (you bounce right off) they suggest we hit at a bad angle. I'm not sure how many sports the mods have EVER played but hitting someone from the side is ALWAYS more effective when trying to bring them down, that's just SIMPLE physics..

Players abusing L2 and we constantly hear that they "fixed it" it just seems to be abused more and more as time goes by. If you want to win games at a high level you're almost forced to play the way EA sees fit. They've said that hockey is changing so their game is. Unfortunately real hockey is not evolving ANYTHING like their game is. It's almost comical that we all know the lacrosse goal is going to be in NHL 21 and it's going to be completely broken.

Threes mode is great, this year they added eliminator. Now we have to close our app after so many games so it doesn't crash, there is no longer a way to have private games with friends, Mascots seem even more insane with their reach and abilities than they did in the last. The mode is still fun but ANY game you play against a CPU will be MUCH less fun and more irritating than anything and 60-70% of games will be against a CPU.

No online franchise, BAP is probably 7 years behind EVERY other major sports game, EVERY single one. HUT seems way behind still contract cards, the second I saw that I closed HUT and I've not opened it since. I hate Madden but MUT is FAR better and had salary cap mode so it's not always Crosby's and Gretzky's on every team! WoC feels like EVERY other mode because people actively try to get as many CPU's on their team as possible and try to face as many humans as possible for easy wins. EA says that they shouldn't punish players by giving bad CPU's so they punish people for playing with friends.

The game just has SO many flaws.. my friends won't buy it or play it anymore due to their lack of effort. They say they're trying and listening to people but honestly.. they don't even play the game themselves.. I would LOVE for the devs to post a Livestream of them teaming up and playing all the different modes in WoC, we could give input and ask questions and they can show what they do and show that they do play and see these problems.

We absolutely play this game. Personally, I have more than 2000 games played in 20 between EASHL and HUT. That's probably a conservative number. I also play in LG and have for many years. The dev team plays their own game as well. You'll frequently see Ben (EA_NHLDev) say this.

You mention the one hand tuck in particular. I don't see it that often. I'm also in D3 so it's probably more used in divisions 1 and 2. That doesn't mean it never happens though. I use it myself if I get the chance but don't score on it regularly. Which is just my personal skill level. I know some guys can nail it every time. It's also possible I don't see it often against me because I don't give them those chances very often. I can assure you the dev team is aware of the community feedback on this so hopefully, we'll see it be less successful in future games. Having moves like this lets you be more creative and are fun to use, but they need to be balanced well also. Finding that balance is a challenge as you want it to be used in appropriate situations, but people will often find ways to exploit these mechanics.

We all definitely hear the complaints and changes are made every year based on them. We obviously don't take action on everything everyone suggests, but bigger issues typically get attention. Much of what goes into the game comes from the community so please keep the feedback coming. If you want your feedback to carry more weight, keep it constructive. Taking digs at the dev team isn't going to accomplish that. Constructive criticism is most definitely appreciated though.