EA Forums - Banner

Racism

Replies

  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Racism in any form will not be tolerated. You're welcome to privately message us screenshots of players with offensive names. We'll get them passed on to the right people. While we obviously don't catch everyone, action has been taken on many accounts and we will continue to do so.

    EA needs to get an in game reporting system. I would say just about every single game I play at least 1 person if not multiple would be offenders. just based on their in game names.

    I agree its hard to automatically filter this stuff EA could do something about these problems. An in game reporting system that could be used for various reasons is way past due. Example, in game menu where you mute players also have ability to one click report user with options to add notes, add screen shot or add screen capture video of last 5 mins. Goalie trolls non stop? report him. Guy names himself Adolf whatever? report him.

    i've been in online communities basically since they existed. I can say without a doubt that while this stuff has always been out there things have gotten 100x worse in the past 5 years or so. Would be nice to see EA step up and help out.

    We probably have a better chance of getting gm connected back than a well working reporting system...

    I reported a guy who tried to scam HUT cards to EAsupport a couple of months ago and it was just sad from EA’s side. I only got back an automated message from ’john’ that actually talked about the wrong game and not even the same issue.

    I have honestly never seen as bad customer support as that. It’s what you get for playing EA games I guess.

    We don't have support for scams. That's not something we have any control over. You're engaging in a deal with another player. If they don't live up to their end of the deal, that's beyond our control. People need to be as sure as possible they're making a trade with someone being honest.

    Well you should have. I didn’t send anything to this guy but shooted messages with him for an hour and that was enough for the playstation support to take action at least. Probably gave him a message ban for a while.

    EA support can actually check the trade history, right? So if he has received several valuable cards for nothing plus message screen caps of him asking to send cards for free, how is that not enough to take action?
    Honestly if you (not literally) are so dumb to give several valuable cards for nothing, especially to someone you don't even know, it's not EA's, Sony's or MSoft's fault. It's 100% your.

    I've made couple of trades with people I don't personally know, but only with cards that are about same price. That's the only way to do it "safe".

    It's better to be safe than sorry...

    I get that it’s not EA’s ’fault’ if someone gets scammed and I can even agree that you have to be kinda dumb or naive at least to fall into these.

    It’s not a matter of fault though. It’s whether or not scamming other players via private messages is against EA’s, MS’s and Sony’s TOS and I would assume it is. If it is in fact against the TOS then you’d assume that EA would do something when reported.

    I just brought that up as another example of EA’s support and handling of it’s own player base being lackluster.

    Scams are very difficult to confirm the legitimacy of. It could be pretty easy for someone to say they were scammed when they weren't just to try to get us to give out some items. With the amount of those cases that come through, it would also affect the HUT economy/gameplay if we were just giving out those items any time someone made a claim. You're entering into a deal you're making with another player. That's just not something we can really control. Also, many of those scams are people tricking you into giving them items by saying they can duplicate them. You're essentially knowingly trying to violate the Terms of Service at that point. I get the frustration, but it's up to the players involved to build enough trust that they aren't going to get scammed.

    This is getting really sidetracked so let's just stop. I really appreciate your ability to make excuses and tip toe around the topic on EA's behalf though. I probably couldn't do that.

    I'm not making any excuses. I'm providing information on why we don't assist with scams. There's no tip-toeing here.
  • It's way worse this year with the new lobbies, where it lists the player's name as well as their PSNID.

    Now every wannabe Dice Clay comes up with some "clever" name. Lotta dudes on there proud they finally got some, lol. Looking at you, Barry Mc....

    Honestly, I have no idea why they changed that. I don't care about a user's player name or type. I want to see their PSNID, so I know who I'm dealing with.

    It's sort of useful as you can immediately tell you're dealing with a man-child or not, however.
  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    It's way worse this year with the new lobbies, where it lists the player's name as well as their PSNID.

    Now every wannabe Dice Clay comes up with some "clever" name. Lotta dudes on there proud they finally got some, lol. Looking at you, Barry Mc....

    Honestly, I have no idea why they changed that. I don't care about a user's player name or type. I want to see their PSNID, so I know who I'm dealing with.

    It's sort of useful as you can immediately tell you're dealing with a man-child or not, however.

    You can see their PSN ID/Xbox gamertag also. It should be listed along with their name, but you need to wait a moment. It switches between their player type and PSN ID/gamertag & player name.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    It's way worse this year with the new lobbies, where it lists the player's name as well as their PSNID.

    Now every wannabe Dice Clay comes up with some "clever" name. Lotta dudes on there proud they finally got some, lol. Looking at you, Barry Mc....

    Honestly, I have no idea why they changed that. I don't care about a user's player name or type. I want to see their PSNID, so I know who I'm dealing with.

    It's sort of useful as you can immediately tell you're dealing with a man-child or not, however.

    You can see their PSN ID/Xbox gamertag also. It should be listed along with their name, but you need to wait a moment. It switches between their player type and PSN ID/gamertag & player name.

    I always set mine to lock it on display my PSNID. You do so by pushing on the right stick.

    However, it seems to default to player names as I enter a lobby.

    But that's not the issue. Simply letting them display their player's name in the lobby has encouraged and exacerbated the childish names.
  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    It's way worse this year with the new lobbies, where it lists the player's name as well as their PSNID.

    Now every wannabe Dice Clay comes up with some "clever" name. Lotta dudes on there proud they finally got some, lol. Looking at you, Barry Mc....

    Honestly, I have no idea why they changed that. I don't care about a user's player name or type. I want to see their PSNID, so I know who I'm dealing with.

    It's sort of useful as you can immediately tell you're dealing with a man-child or not, however.

    You can see their PSN ID/Xbox gamertag also. It should be listed along with their name, but you need to wait a moment. It switches between their player type and PSN ID/gamertag & player name.

    I always set mine to lock it on display my PSNID. You do so by pushing on the right stick.

    However, it seems to default to player names as I enter a lobby.

    But that's not the issue. Simply letting them display their player's name in the lobby has encouraged and exacerbated the childish names.

    I don't know that I agree. I remember seeing offensive names as early as lobbies in NHL 09. People acting childish like this has been around since the beginning of online gaming. Regardless, it's a problem and EA as a whole is exploring ways to reduce toxicity and offensive content.
  • MikeG73179
    279 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Racism in any form will not be tolerated. You're welcome to privately message us screenshots of players with offensive names. We'll get them passed on to the right people. While we obviously don't catch everyone, action has been taken on many accounts and we will continue to do so.

    EA needs to get an in game reporting system. I would say just about every single game I play at least 1 person if not multiple would be offenders. just based on their in game names.

    I agree its hard to automatically filter this stuff EA could do something about these problems. An in game reporting system that could be used for various reasons is way past due. Example, in game menu where you mute players also have ability to one click report user with options to add notes, add screen shot or add screen capture video of last 5 mins. Goalie trolls non stop? report him. Guy names himself Adolf whatever? report him.

    i've been in online communities basically since they existed. I can say without a doubt that while this stuff has always been out there things have gotten 100x worse in the past 5 years or so. Would be nice to see EA step up and help out.

    We probably have a better chance of getting gm connected back than a well working reporting system...

    I reported a guy who tried to scam HUT cards to EAsupport a couple of months ago and it was just sad from EA’s side. I only got back an automated message from ’john’ that actually talked about the wrong game and not even the same issue.

    I have honestly never seen as bad customer support as that. It’s what you get for playing EA games I guess.

    We don't have support for scams. That's not something we have any control over. You're engaging in a deal with another player. If they don't live up to their end of the deal, that's beyond our control. People need to be as sure as possible they're making a trade with someone being honest.

    Well you should have. I didn’t send anything to this guy but shooted messages with him for an hour and that was enough for the playstation support to take action at least. Probably gave him a message ban for a while.

    EA support can actually check the trade history, right? So if he has received several valuable cards for nothing plus message screen caps of him asking to send cards for free, how is that not enough to take action?
    Honestly if you (not literally) are so dumb to give several valuable cards for nothing, especially to someone you don't even know, it's not EA's, Sony's or MSoft's fault. It's 100% your.

    I've made couple of trades with people I don't personally know, but only with cards that are about same price. That's the only way to do it "safe".

    It's better to be safe than sorry...

    I get that it’s not EA’s ’fault’ if someone gets scammed and I can even agree that you have to be kinda dumb or naive at least to fall into these.

    It’s not a matter of fault though. It’s whether or not scamming other players via private messages is against EA’s, MS’s and Sony’s TOS and I would assume it is. If it is in fact against the TOS then you’d assume that EA would do something when reported.

    I just brought that up as another example of EA’s support and handling of it’s own player base being lackluster.

    Scams are very difficult to confirm the legitimacy of. It could be pretty easy for someone to say they were scammed when they weren't just to try to get us to give out some items. With the amount of those cases that come through, it would also affect the HUT economy/gameplay if we were just giving out those items any time someone made a claim. You're entering into a deal you're making with another player. That's just not something we can really control. Also, many of those scams are people tricking you into giving them items by saying they can duplicate them. You're essentially knowingly trying to violate the Terms of Service at that point. I get the frustration, but it's up to the players involved to build enough trust that they aren't going to get scammed.

    This is getting really sidetracked so let's just stop. I really appreciate your ability to make excuses and tip toe around the topic on EA's behalf though. I probably couldn't do that.

    I'm not making any excuses. I'm providing information on why we don't assist with scams. There's no tip-toeing here.

    Sure buddy:D You just talked how compensation items would affect the HUT economy(lmao, since when that became important?) and how people would possibly try to abuse that system even though no one even mentioned or suggested compensation items... That’s tip toeing around the topic to me. The topic was that the response from EA support was hilariously bad and that IMO EA should take some action (e.g. Ban hammer) if you have a legit case of someone trying to scam repeatedly. That’s why I said that EA probably has access to players’ trade histories so support could check if a particular player has received a lot of valuable cards for nothing. You didn’t respond to either of those points.

    I get that your job is to do damage control and PR but I expect that you would at least answer to the actual topic and not make this weird strawman about compensation items.

  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Racism in any form will not be tolerated. You're welcome to privately message us screenshots of players with offensive names. We'll get them passed on to the right people. While we obviously don't catch everyone, action has been taken on many accounts and we will continue to do so.

    EA needs to get an in game reporting system. I would say just about every single game I play at least 1 person if not multiple would be offenders. just based on their in game names.

    I agree its hard to automatically filter this stuff EA could do something about these problems. An in game reporting system that could be used for various reasons is way past due. Example, in game menu where you mute players also have ability to one click report user with options to add notes, add screen shot or add screen capture video of last 5 mins. Goalie trolls non stop? report him. Guy names himself Adolf whatever? report him.

    i've been in online communities basically since they existed. I can say without a doubt that while this stuff has always been out there things have gotten 100x worse in the past 5 years or so. Would be nice to see EA step up and help out.

    We probably have a better chance of getting gm connected back than a well working reporting system...

    I reported a guy who tried to scam HUT cards to EAsupport a couple of months ago and it was just sad from EA’s side. I only got back an automated message from ’john’ that actually talked about the wrong game and not even the same issue.

    I have honestly never seen as bad customer support as that. It’s what you get for playing EA games I guess.

    We don't have support for scams. That's not something we have any control over. You're engaging in a deal with another player. If they don't live up to their end of the deal, that's beyond our control. People need to be as sure as possible they're making a trade with someone being honest.

    Well you should have. I didn’t send anything to this guy but shooted messages with him for an hour and that was enough for the playstation support to take action at least. Probably gave him a message ban for a while.

    EA support can actually check the trade history, right? So if he has received several valuable cards for nothing plus message screen caps of him asking to send cards for free, how is that not enough to take action?
    Honestly if you (not literally) are so dumb to give several valuable cards for nothing, especially to someone you don't even know, it's not EA's, Sony's or MSoft's fault. It's 100% your.

    I've made couple of trades with people I don't personally know, but only with cards that are about same price. That's the only way to do it "safe".

    It's better to be safe than sorry...

    I get that it’s not EA’s ’fault’ if someone gets scammed and I can even agree that you have to be kinda dumb or naive at least to fall into these.

    It’s not a matter of fault though. It’s whether or not scamming other players via private messages is against EA’s, MS’s and Sony’s TOS and I would assume it is. If it is in fact against the TOS then you’d assume that EA would do something when reported.

    I just brought that up as another example of EA’s support and handling of it’s own player base being lackluster.

    Scams are very difficult to confirm the legitimacy of. It could be pretty easy for someone to say they were scammed when they weren't just to try to get us to give out some items. With the amount of those cases that come through, it would also affect the HUT economy/gameplay if we were just giving out those items any time someone made a claim. You're entering into a deal you're making with another player. That's just not something we can really control. Also, many of those scams are people tricking you into giving them items by saying they can duplicate them. You're essentially knowingly trying to violate the Terms of Service at that point. I get the frustration, but it's up to the players involved to build enough trust that they aren't going to get scammed.

    This is getting really sidetracked so let's just stop. I really appreciate your ability to make excuses and tip toe around the topic on EA's behalf though. I probably couldn't do that.

    I'm not making any excuses. I'm providing information on why we don't assist with scams. There's no tip-toeing here.

    Sure buddy:D You just talked how compensation items would affect the HUT economy(lmao, since when that became important?) and how people would possibly try to abuse that system even though no one even mentioned or suggested compensation items... That’s tip toeing around the topic to me. The topic was that the response from EA support was hilariously bad and that IMO EA should take some action (e.g. Ban hammer) if you have a legit case of someone trying to scam repeatedly. That’s why I said that EA probably has access to players’ trade histories so support could check if a particular player has received a lot of valuable cards for nothing. You didn’t respond to either of those points.

    I get that your job is to do damage control and PR but I expect that you would at least answer to the actual topic and not make this weird strawman about compensation items.

    I was giving you an example of how giving out items can have a negative effect on the game. There are many that enjoy playing the market rather than the hockey portion of the game. The market in HUT plays a big role for many people. With as often as we are contacted about scams, if we replaced all those items/coins, it means duplicating those items/coins essentially. That's going to add up over time and have an influence on the market. We try to let the players determine that as much as possible. Not to mention, it sends the message that you can just fake a scam and our support will give you what you want. That's not how it works.

    Checking history helps, but it doesn't ensure we're dealing with a legitimate scam. Again though, this is a deal between 2 players. We can't force honesty. It's not our fault if someone falls for a scam.
  • I laugh and move on. But that's just me, I'm a normal person with a good sense of humour.

    What really suffers year after year is the name screening filter EA uses. I tried to make the name "Abe Froman" and it said it was profanity. Like seriously? No matter how strict you make the filter, people will get around it, but more and more normal names will be flagged as "profanity". It's a game at this point.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    All I got to say about the whole HUT thing, is that when people stop throwing money at it, the problem solves itself. Complaining to EA about scams is somewhat ironic since EA is running the biggest scam of all - namely HUT. It's like going to complain to bank robbers that a kid just stole a lolly from your candy store?
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    All I got to say about the whole HUT thing, is that when people stop throwing money at it, the problem solves itself. Complaining to EA about scams is somewhat ironic since EA is running the biggest scam of all - namely HUT. It's like going to complain to bank robbers that a kid just stole a lolly from your candy store?

    I flagged this post as "insightful". You deserved it.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4267 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey, all.

    Let's do our best to keep the conversation related to the original topic of this post moving forward out of respect for OP. If you want to discuss policies on how our Support can address scams that's best suited for another forum post or giving feedback to our Support team at the Help site.

    Thank you.
  • whatsarinkus
    2 posts New member
    I need to contact someone about an extremely racist team of 3 players. Both their player names and team name are extremely offensive. Kids play this game. Can’t believe some people.

    I don’t have a screenshot but I saved all of their user names. Please pm me or email me if you can help. Don’t normally do stuff like this but that’s how bad it was.
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Deleted comment
    Post edited by just2sweeeeeeet on
  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    I need to contact someone about an extremely racist team of 3 players. Both their player names and team name are extremely offensive. Kids play this game. Can’t believe some people.

    I don’t have a screenshot but I saved all of their user names. Please pm me or email me if you can help. Don’t normally do stuff like this but that’s how bad it was.

    @whatsarinkus
    Please private message me the screenshot. Thank you.
  • New to this forum thing. How can I pm you? @EA_Aljo
  • Socair
    2692 posts Game Changer
    New to this forum thing. How can I pm you? @EA_Aljo
    I sent the names along last night.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    At the end of the day, you either have a sense of humour about it or you don't. 90% of the guys doing those names probably aren't racist in real life, so pretending that an intended humorous name created for shock value because the game doesn't have enough banned words in it is kind of asinine. Are they being childish? Absolutely. Welcome to online gaming. But taking offense to it is pretty weak minded. Does it look bad on EA? Sure. They should do more to prevent words from being used. But banning people now is a bit late. It's been like this since day one. Maybe offer some warnings?

    I did find it hilarious though that they brought up banning people if you can screen shot them, but the truly toxic players who actually ruin the experience for literally everybody that they play with because they live for being trolls get a free pass haha
  • MikeG73179
    279 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    At the end of the day, you either have a sense of humour about it or you don't. 90% of the guys doing those names probably aren't racist in real life, so pretending that an intended humorous name created for shock value because the game doesn't have enough banned words in it is kind of asinine. Are they being childish? Absolutely. Welcome to online gaming. But taking offense to it is pretty weak minded. Does it look bad on EA? Sure. They should do more to prevent words from being used. But banning people now is a bit late. It's been like this since day one. Maybe offer some warnings?

    I did find it hilarious though that they brought up banning people if you can screen shot them, but the truly toxic players who actually ruin the experience for literally everybody that they play with because they live for being trolls get a free pass haha

    Better late than never, right? I don’t really care if they are ’truly’ racist in real life... whatever that means. If somebody uses a racist name, get lost.
    [Socair - edited to remove profanity short hand]
    Post edited by Socair on

  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, you either have a sense of humour about it or you don't. 90% of the guys doing those names probably aren't racist in real life, so pretending that an intended humorous name created for shock value because the game doesn't have enough banned words in it is kind of asinine. Are they being childish? Absolutely. Welcome to online gaming. But taking offense to it is pretty weak minded. Does it look bad on EA? Sure. They should do more to prevent words from being used. But banning people now is a bit late. It's been like this since day one. Maybe offer some warnings?

    I did find it hilarious though that they brought up banning people if you can screen shot them, but the truly toxic players who actually ruin the experience for literally everybody that they play with because they live for being trolls get a free pass haha

    Better late than never, right? I don’t really care if they are ’truly’ racist in real life... whatever that means. If somebody uses a racist name, get lost.
    [Socair - edited to remove profanity short hand]

    the truth is 98% of these people are a holes that are just trying to be jerks. knowing they is no one that can do anything about what they are saying.

    nothing to do with a sense of humor. i find almost everything funny. but some random knucklehead just changing his in game name to something about nzi leaders cooking certain types of people in ovens is not funny.

    there is a difference between going to see a comedian that knows how to deliver offensive jokes and just some loser that is using internet anonymity to say what they really wants to say. Good humored adults can laugh at the first. The second should not be laughed at because its not funny.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, you either have a sense of humour about it or you don't. 90% of the guys doing those names probably aren't racist in real life, so pretending that an intended humorous name created for shock value because the game doesn't have enough banned words in it is kind of asinine. Are they being childish? Absolutely. Welcome to online gaming. But taking offense to it is pretty weak minded. Does it look bad on EA? Sure. They should do more to prevent words from being used. But banning people now is a bit late. It's been like this since day one. Maybe offer some warnings?

    I did find it hilarious though that they brought up banning people if you can screen shot them, but the truly toxic players who actually ruin the experience for literally everybody that they play with because they live for being trolls get a free pass haha

    Better late than never, right? I don’t really care if they are ’truly’ racist in real life... whatever that means. If somebody uses a racist name, get lost.
    [Socair - edited to remove profanity short hand]

    the truth is 98% of these people are a holes that are just trying to be jerks. knowing they is no one that can do anything about what they are saying.

    nothing to do with a sense of humor. i find almost everything funny. but some random knucklehead just changing his in game name to something about nzi leaders cooking certain types of people in ovens is not funny.

    there is a difference between going to see a comedian that knows how to deliver offensive jokes and just some loser that is using internet anonymity to say what they really wants to say. Good humored adults can laugh at the first. The second should not be laughed at because its not funny.
    [Socair -edited quote]
    But isn't it hypocritical to say they can laugh at the first?
    Post edited by Socair on
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!