EA Forums - Banner

What does offensive and defensive awareness do?

Replies

• Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Very good explanation. But in a online world were many things dont are what it should be, then it must be really hard to anticipate whats next to happen. In other words, for the awareness to kick in.
  • Yeah, I don't think it does anything in online world or for human controlled players.

That might be a reason why you don't get any official explanation :D
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    Well I dont like to gamble, I Keep the awareness pretty high, when it comes to prioritize awareness as an synergy boost in the game. But im might be off here, I dont know. :)
  • Interesting. These awareness boost... can it be purchased with real money? Directly (or not)
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    what do you mean?
  • If there are some "boosts" that you can buy for your player in EASHL or for your team in HUT?

I never visited these modes (except EASHL lastgen), so I don't have good idea how it works.
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    If there are some "boosts" that you can buy for your player in EASHL or for your team in HUT?

I never visited these modes (except EASHL lastgen), so I don't have good idea how it works.

Of curse you can buy them in the meaning that you have more expensive cards in the game and probebly better awareness
  • Alright, so you buy particular player (players) that you like or you think they would fit to your HUT team with their attributes, right?
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    Yes buddy!
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Well at least you know what you paid for.

I've heard some crazy stories that in some other sports games out there people have to buy some anonymous "packs" and kids don't even know what's in it. And nope, I'm not talking about mature rated mobile games.

That's sounds too crazy to be truth anyway :)
  • Sega82mega
    2698 posts Member
    I pay for what I need and feel. if I want better player, by any nessie sary mean, I can get it if I cash in, but I like the long way.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    For passes, defensive awareness helps with reaction time to interceptions where offensive is on passes from your own team.

Another thing you will see from defensive awareness would be reacting to loose pucks after a defensive play (puck lost by opposition) where as offensive awareness is when you have lost it yourself and want to react to pick it back up.
  • @NHLDev thanks for the insight bro
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    For passes, defensive awareness helps with reaction time to interceptions where offensive is on passes from your own team.

Another thing you will see from defensive awareness would be reacting to loose pucks after a defensive play (puck lost by opposition) where as offensive awareness is when you have lost it yourself and want to react to pick it back up.

So it is the damn attributes that decide who gets the loose puck after all. Feels good to be right man. And you wonder why the game feels inconsistent and why you can never trust the defensive actions or incidental contact to work... Could that possibly be one of the reasons for that?

• Efbomb
    153 posts Member
    The only thing I’ve noticed about OA and DA is that it drastically effects a players OVR rating.

Whenever I make a CAP, I noticed that adjusting all the attributes to be in the 75-85 range, the OVR will be like a 71. As soon as I start adding OA and DA, that 71 rapidly jumps up to the mid 80’s.

In fact, since the OA and DA is the quickest way to drop OVR ratings, it’s my go to move when editing the players who I think are rated too high and need to have a couple of points shaved off.

Mind you, this is just for offline editing, and might have no effect on online play. It’s just what I’ve noticed over the years.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

So it is the damn attributes that decide who gets the loose puck after all. Feels good to be right man. And you wonder why the game feels inconsistent and why you can never trust the defensive actions or incidental contact to work... Could that possibly be one of the reasons for that?

This is in extremely quick reaction moments. If you are chasing for a loose puck, it is the angle/position of the players relative to the pickups they can attempt that govern who can get the puck, there isn't any reaction delay in those types of scenarios.

If you lose the puck to stick on stick contact, the 'recovery' time is quicker than stick on body to model the time it takes to move your stick past/around a stick vs a body and also balance the impact of the type of puck loss where it is obviously more extreme to run into a body of a player and what it would take to avoid/move your stick around to then regain the puck again than it is a stick. The awareness ratings handle the players reaction time to provide player differentiation -- we showed clips earlier in the year of NHL players and their ability to adapt to more subtle puck loss and keep control, etc. but after an offensive player loses a puck, especially if the defensive action was manual (a poke, stick lift, body check, etc.) the defensive player is going to react faster than the offensive player both to reward defense in the balance of making a play but also that they were expecting to make the play where as the offensive player is optimistic they are going to get by and are thus less ready to react to a failure case -- and then on top of that, there can be more delay if the players ratings are lower, etc.

Would have to see specific cases to understand where you don't feel you can trust defensive actions or incidental contact. We know from tuning the game to playing it and watching various levels of our game being played that those mechanics are working as intended a great majority of the time. We have also seen videos posted of bugs and pieces that could be better but those are exceptions to the rule and like anything, pieces we will continue to try and improve going forward to get an even higher level of consistency and predictability, especially for those that know the mechanics well and are skilled with all the tools available to them -- and that is where even today, we see people have a lot of success with the current tools and balance in the game using them all effectively to shut down their opposition and/or maintain the puck from the other side.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Are you guys still looking into reducing the pickup animation's success on losing the puck and dragging it from behind almost immediately after still?

That way if somebody makes a good defensive play and has stick on stick contact, the puck pops loose behind, the forward shouldn't be picking it up in those cases. Still happens far too often.
  • Are you guys still looking into reducing the pickup animation's success on losing the puck and dragging it from behind almost immediately after still?

That way if somebody makes a good defensive play and has stick on stick contact, the puck pops loose behind, the forward shouldn't be picking it up in those cases. Still happens far too often.

This combined with the fact the low-speed collisions don’t work on default sliders, plus the stick-lift nerf from in-front, plus DSS/poke being an almost automatic penalty when the gap is too close, means sprinting at a defender looking for a favorable pickup is legitimate strategy as a forward.
  • If the players speed was more realistic - every phoney movement that happens in this game won’t be exaggerated as bad.

Also poke checks and DSS can be useful but gee... I wish I could knock a guy over as easy with a check as I can with my dss brushing against his thigh with no momentum whatsoever
  • Also poke checks and DSS can be useful but gee... I wish I could knock a guy over as easy with a check as I can with my dss brushing against his thigh with no momentum whatsoever

*ding* Winner!