EA Forums - Banner

Sick and tired of checking not working as it should.

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    1905 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    But how can a dev look at this and say it looks like hockey? That’s where I’m totally baffled! Look at 7:32 where the Coyote player “intercepts” a slap shot. What? Look how little cycling opportunity there is because the players all twist and turn so oddly and no one can really face the play or do t-pushes, crossovers, etc.

Watch, or better yet play a game of NHL on XBOX 360 and you can see it looks miles more like real hockey than anything EA has put out this gen. The puck physics were so much better back then and so was everything else except the graphics. That’s not progress EA.

The puck was not as dynamic and responding to real-world physics. There were many people complaining passes were too tape to tape and easy to connect with. The puck was made to be more loose and react better to edges, surfaces and material. This also means passing takes more skill. So, while it may have been easier to hit your target with passes, it wasn't more realistic in terms of puck physics.

Wait so you’re saying that the puck physics in last gen’s NHL games were LESS realistic than those in which the puck stops on dead a defenceman’s blade from a bullet slap shot?

I'm not saying the physics are perfect in every way possible. I am saying, as a whole, they are more realistic than they were in the last gen.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?

41 penalty minutes!?!?! :lol:

And still won the game, that isn`t problem. My record is over 60 minutes, so that´s far from it. My gamestyle is different, than others.

Nice! Do you track the type of penalties too?

My record is 8 10-minute Misconducts in a game and 12 Fighting majors in a game. The 12 fights were online last season in NHL19 and picked up the misconducts in a Squads back in March.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Why checking is problem? In this Picture I got 53 hits. All matches I got 30-70 hits. My record is 72 hits. So what is problem?

41 penalty minutes!?!?! :lol:

And still won the game, that isn`t problem. My record is over 60 minutes, so that´s far from it. My gamestyle is different, than others.

Nice! Do you track the type of penalties too?

My record is 8 10-minute Misconducts in a game and 12 Fighting majors in a game. The 12 fights were online last season in NHL19 and picked up the misconducts in a Squads back in March.

I had only three game misconducts, three fights and many two minute penalties. Number of the fights, is it Still only three/game? My record is hut friendly game in NHL 14. NHL 20 I had penalties over 60 minutes/game. Most of two minute penalties are for charging or boarding. I don´t use poke check often.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    But how can a dev look at this and say it looks like hockey? That’s where I’m totally baffled! Look at 7:32 where the Coyote player “intercepts” a slap shot. What? Look how little cycling opportunity there is because the players all twist and turn so oddly and no one can really face the play or do t-pushes, crossovers, etc.

Watch, or better yet play a game of NHL on XBOX 360 and you can see it looks miles more like real hockey than anything EA has put out this gen. The puck physics were so much better back then and so was everything else except the graphics. That’s not progress EA.

The puck was not as dynamic and responding to real-world physics. There were many people complaining passes were too tape to tape and easy to connect with. The puck was made to be more loose and react better to edges, surfaces and material. This also means passing takes more skill. So, while it may have been easier to hit your target with passes, it wasn't more realistic in terms of puck physics.

Wait so you’re saying that the puck physics in last gen’s NHL games were LESS realistic than those in which the puck stops on dead a defenceman’s blade from a bullet slap shot?

I'm not saying the physics are perfect in every way possible. I am saying, as a whole, they are more realistic than they were in the last gen.

I disagree. Go back and play NHL 10 if you have the chance. Or even NHL 2K10 for that matter. The puck physics were miles better back then.
  • I just played another game and I could tell there was a big input delay problem already. Even though I had low ping 30ms. I was still having trouble skating or passing for that matter.

None of it worked and my opponent just skated around super fast. Could not do a thing.

This is why I believe there is some major desync issues that haven't been properly looked at.

You can tell from the very beginning of a game if there are desync issues.
  • EA_Aljo
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    I just played another game and I could tell there was a big input delay problem already. Even though I had low ping 30ms. I was still having trouble skating or passing for that matter.

None of it worked and my opponent just skated around super fast. Could not do a thing.

This is why I believe there is some major desync issues that haven't been properly looked at.

A desync would make the game disconnect. How are you able to tell if there's a bad connection? Do you mean, you can see the game lag or stutter and the connection is showing fair or poor? Can you get me some video of what's happening? Also, are you on a wired or wireless connection?
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I just played another game and I could tell there was a big input delay problem already. Even though I had low ping 30ms. I was still having trouble skating or passing for that matter.

A desync would make the game disconnect. How are you able to tell if there's a bad connection? Do you mean, you can see the game lag or stutter and the connection is showing fair or poor? Can you get me some video of what's happening? Also, are you on a wired or wireless connection?

My connection is referenced in my original post.
    This post is mostly to do with desync and how the game isn't actually played in real time. It won't matter if my connection is good. If my opponent is on a poor wifi connection, my actions are not going to match up with their's.

Even though I have a good connection. If they're closer to the "dedicated server" they will still have the advantage.

Which is why I was saying earlier that the game's predetermined animations really mess with the overall gameplay. It's very unbalanced because you can't cancel the animations. Even if you land a clean hit, your opponent may recover faster regardless. That's also where the connection plays into the game.

Not to mention the delay it takes for players to complete actions when the human player is making actions. I press to change to a different player and somehow in the middle of me receiving the puck the game then decides to take action. Once that happens, my player randomly passes to no one or my opponent. Since the game can't keep up with human response inputs.

I believe there is also a real problem with the game's UI. Even though it's not open during gameplay. It feels like there's still something running in the background. I can't say for sure (i'm not a developer) but it seems like there is a memory leak which is causing a lot of the in-game input delay. It piles on top of that lag whenever you interact with the console's dashboard as well. That is xbox one. I'm not sure it happens with ps4.

I say this because I have played other games that have those problems and it effects online play specifically. It's like a conglomerate of issues that make the online play very undesirable.

• EA_Aljo

This post is mostly to do with desync and how the game isn't actually played in real time. It won't matter if my connection is good. If my opponent is on a poor wifi connection, my actions are not going to match up with their's.

Even though I have a good connection. If they're closer to the "dedicated server" they will still have the advantage.

Which is why I was saying earlier that the game's predetermined animations really mess with the overall gameplay. It's very unbalanced because you can't cancel the animations. Even if you land a clean hit, your opponent may recover faster regardless. That's also where the connection plays into the game.

Not to mention the delay it takes for players to complete actions when the human player is making actions. I press to change to a different player and somehow in the middle of me receiving the puck the game then decides to take action. Once that happens, my player randomly passes to no one or my opponent. Since the game can't keep up with human response inputs.

I believe there is also a real problem with the game's UI. Even though it's not open during gameplay. It feels like there's still something running in the background. I can't say for sure (i'm not a developer) but it seems like there is a memory leak which is causing a lot of the in-game input delay. It piles on top of that lag whenever you interact with the console's dashboard as well. That is xbox one. I'm not sure it happens with ps4.

I say this because I have played other games that have those problems and it effects online play specifically. It's like a conglomerate of issues that make the online play very undesirable.

In HUT, the only mode that is peer to peer is Draft Champions. Otherwise, you're on dedicated servers and your opponent's connection won't affect yours. I don't believe you're experiencing a desync. When that happens, the game disconnects. It sounds like you might be lagging. Everything you're describing points to a connection issue. We'd need to go through some testing to find out though. Let me know if you want to do that.

• boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited May 22

I play on PS4, but here are some tips that might help. The game is really demanding on the consoles for many different reasons. So, there’s many different things that could be causing lag or inputs delay.

The first thing to check would be your connection and its stability. 30ms is not bad, but not the best either. It could be only due to the distance of the server and if it is the case, there’s nothing to be done to help. That ping will definitely result in having a slight input delay, but it should be manageable though. If you have more lags or desync problems, it might be caused by an unstable connection, it could be your opponent, but if your connection is not stable or are using wifi, it might be you.

If it is not that, then might be just a ressource problem. Like I said previously, the game is quite demanding on the console. So it is better to make sure that all the other apps are closed before playing (I don’t know if you can run multiple apps on Xbox, but on PS4 you can and it is a problem). Try looking online to find any tutorials about slow console and how to make it faster. Sometimes, just having to many friends connecting at the same time can be a problem, etc...

And the last thing that I would suggest, would be to try different team built. I don’t know whet you’re team look like, etc... That can be part of the problem too. I’ve noticed that if you have many synergies activated, you start feeling a slight input delay, not unplayable, but enough to make you miss some stuff. The difference in attributes is easier to handle than an input delay in my opinion.

The game is pushing the console so close to the maximum of what they can handle, that every little programs or additional stuff can make a difference depending on your console and connection.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »

I play on PS4, but here are some tips that might help. The game is really demanding on the consoles for many different reasons. So, there’s many different things that could be causing lag or inputs delay.

The first thing to check would be your connection and its stability. 30ms is not bad, but not the best either. It could be only due to the distance of the server and if it is the case, there’s nothing to be done to help. That ping will definitely result in having a slight input delay, but it should be manageable though. If you have more lags or desync problems, it might be caused by an unstable connection, it could be your opponent, but if your connection is not stable or are using wifi, it might be you.

If it is not that, then might be just a ressource problem. Like I said previously, the game is quite demanding on the console. So it is better to make sure that all the other apps are closed before playing (I don’t know if you can run multiple apps on Xbox, but on PS4 you can and it is a problem). Try looking online to find any tutorials about slow console and how to make it faster. Sometimes, just having to many friends connecting at the same time can be a problem, etc...

And the last thing that I would suggest, would be to try different team built. I don’t know whet you’re team look like, etc... That can be part of the problem too. I’ve noticed that if you have many synergies activated, you start feeling a slight input delay, not unplayable, but enough to make you miss some stuff. The difference in attributes is easier to handle than an input delay in my opinion.

The game is pushing the console so close to the maximum of what they can handle, that every little programs or additional stuff can make a difference depending on your console and connection.

Again as I've mentioned to EA. Read my original post to reference my connection.

Now that you mention it. I am more than willing to bet there is a glitch with synergy activation. My team is super sluggish to react and I have 99 speed, acceleration, endurance, etc on top of the synergies activated as well. Not to mention I think that DDA is enabled during online play. I have been noticing my opponent switching to their player away from the puck when forechecking and the computer skates WAY faster than the human controlled player.

Things are just not adding up.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »

Again as I've mentioned to EA. Read my original post to reference my connection.

Now that you mention it. I am more than willing to bet there is a glitch with synergy activation. My team is super sluggish to react and I have 99 speed, acceleration, endurance, etc on top of the synergies activated as well. Not to mention I think that DDA is enabled during online play. I have been noticing my opponent switching to their player away from the puck when forechecking and the computer skates WAY faster than the human controlled player.

When you play SB and Challenges (All-Star or higher), do you feel that sluggishness too? I still feel it on my side, just less since there’s no connection delay, just the synergies delay. From my experimentations, I have not seen anything that would fit the DDA scenario, it is mostly just programming, connection and console limitations that cause it. Most of the time, a mix of some or all of them.

To solve it, you can try changing some of the players to remove some synergies (team synergies are the one that are usually causing the delay). If it is better then, you will at least know why. If it doesn’t solve it, then it is something else. The game isn’t perfect, the smallest mistakes (inputs, etc...) and also variations in connection/console performances will affect the gameplay. There’s a lot of glitches/exploits and some people really use them, it makes it harder to play defence properly since they can just press one button and dodge a hit or poke. It still requires them to press the button within a certain time window, but it is easier to play offence than defence for sure.
  • I have lots of synergies active, all of the team synergies and several of the player ones. I don't experience any sluggishness or delay.
  • EA_Aljo

DDA is not used in any form whatsoever in any of our NHL games. If you want us to review any video where you think it might be happening, just let us know and we'll do that. Thanks!
  • hthfbtjoyrv4.jpg

Apparently, all it takes to win is to have more hits than your opponent. Regardless if you out play them in every way of the game. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I can confidently say I'm not buying NHL 21. ✌
  • kar8g2k321r4.jpg
    71mfd2pkorq4.jpg
    5516fs1sg9se.jpg
    82nyn2olm52n.jpg
    eest2ho8b2jk.jpg

L O L

Are you KIDDING me? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • Again, I outplayed my opponent. They had ZERO shots in the third period. We go to OT and they have ONE shot on net. Which happens to be a slow moving 1T redirect. My goalie crumbles.

EA, you don't realize that when your games AREN'T being recorded. The stats still show the dominant player is still losing.

This is pathetic.
  • You shouldn’t focus on the stats, it is not because you outplayed them in the stats that you really outplayed them in the game. I am very often the one with low shots and the win. Why? Well it is simple, I don’t play aggressively. I am passive and play good defence. I block most of the high scoring chances and give me opponent some weak opportunities while I analyze how they play, as soon as they make a mistake that’s the moment where I go full offence and usually score. If my opponent gives me more opportunitie than they are able to score on me, then I win. Playing aggressively on offence is not always a good strategy and if you are not very good and careful, it can cost you. I won’t lie that some people would think that my games are boring, because they are more defensive games (low scoring), but this is my style. If I get you to play it instead of yours, it usually end up with me winning. The better players will win since they still scores, but players with less offensive skills will loose. The stats at the end of a game doesn’t show everything, that’s why we ask for videos to help you. You gave us one earlier and we told you what we saw. If you don’t want to change, it is fine. Just don’t expect to win then. If you’re point is that you want it to change to fit how you play, then tell them what are the problems and how you think it should be fix. Just saying that it is broken and you won’t buy the next game won’t help in anyway the developers to fix the problems.
  • MFin04
    94 posts Member
    I think anyone who has played this game on Superstar can relate to the 8 shots, 5 goals. I mean...that is a little absurd. And the only way he could get to OT was by giving up 0 shots in the 3rd period, I mean you have to kind of laugh at that. And sure enough, as soon as he gives up a shot in OT that baby is going in even if it has to deflect off the rafters.

I feel ya man, I've been there. Just gotta push through. And you really can't go into the last minute of any game with a 1-goal lead or the game tied and expect to win a bunch of them. Crazy stuff happens in the last minute in this game and in OT. I've seen it waaayy too many times. I do feel for you though.
  • mlou7jgyfn7e.jpg
    5ea12m42l4ra.jpg
    2txapnrcrecg.jpg

More of the same broken mechanics of this game.
    My 99 goalie can't save a beachball. 6 goals on only 13 shots to my 25 shots and 2 goals.

And as you can see NO PENALTIES on my side. I took my time in his offensive zone to cycle the puck and set up quality scoring chances. While he skated off unhindered by my checks and scored on the softest one timers. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • oll5wus400m7.jpg

Then there's this game. I tuned down my "aggressiveness" when shooting and entering their offensive zone. I played about as methodically as I could.

They score in the third and starts ragging the puck. I end up with possession towards the end and they spam poke check to trip me FOUR times in a row. It doesn't show in the picture because all four penalties overlapped the end of the game so they never show up.

Griefing is not a strategy. It's cheating. Especially when I defended my net and only gave up 10 shots on net. Yet, my 99 ovr goalie doesn't beat his 90 ovr goalie.

I will be recording the next bit of games, but I'm willing to bet there will be more excuses as to why things don't work. After complaining about them for the past 5 years.