EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21

Prev134
Biggest focus areas SHOULD be.

1. Above all else we need better AI. All of us agree that the CPU is stupid, but most of us agree that their abilities are FAR beyond anything a human can do. What needs to be done? EASHL they should just be slowed down a LOT worse interceptions, worse shooting, worse passing (but not as much passing off the walls because that benefits bad players who cherry pick but hurts good players as they call for a simple pass and have to slow down to receive it off the wall instead of it coming straight to them) make CPU players not bump us off the puck so easily, strip it so quickly and easily, less acceleration, be ABLE to hit them like a normal human. In HUT I would just smarten them up. The HUT community seems to be the one's who want them better and the WoC community HATES them. One game mode is played with 5 CPU and one human one game mode is MADE to be played with humans. Why punish players by making them play against CPU when they're in a mode that is supposed to be played with humans? NOBODY in WoC wants to play against a CPU.

2. L2 abuse. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game at all but it definitely needs reworked.

3. 1 hand tuck.. it happens way too often. There's over 1,200 games in an NHL season. How many one hand tucks have you seen this year??? We're constantly being told the game is evolving but THIS game is evolving very differently!

4. Tripping- I get tripping when you're behind someone, I get it if you dive, or sweep your stick across their legs.. I don't get it if you're at their side or beside them.. I swear your stick will sometimes target their leg over the puck sometimes.. I don't get many penalties but I also only poke 2-3 times a game due to how this game plays..

Things that would be GREAT

WoC BAP- I don't like basketball at ALL but I play 2k because the experience is so much better than any other sports title. NHL could easily be the best gameplay (esp if they tone down CPU's) if NHL added more to WoC I think non hockey fans would flock to this game and maybe even START watching hockey, that's how I got into hockey and why I probably lost interest in NCAA football.

How do you do WoC BAP? Simple. A very short story before you can do much in WoC. You start off in a rec league tournament where you choose your position (you can replay the game a few times esp if you're new to hockey). You play the game with a two way guy with BASIC stats (you're a younger kid) after the game a scout comes to meet you. He comments on how you played (if you hit a lot he comments on that.. if you scored or assisted a lot he comments on that) and then he suggests a build archetype. You can use that, look at the others, or build your own type. Height and weight effects your physical attributes and caps. Faceoff attribute is locked and everyone including def has the same attribute there. After that he asks what makes you special.. you can choose your specialty here (you can unlock others later but you can choose any specialty to start out) next you play in one last game where the scouts watch you.. after the game they ask if you thought about the NHL, your guy acts surprised. They ask what team you would want to play for.. you have the option to choose a team OR allow the draft to commence and you go with whoever drafts you.. after you're drafted you play in a prospect tournament, you're about 60ovr and you gotta build your guy, make the NHL, w/e after you make the prospect tournament all the WoC modes are open. Your BAP can be played at anytime and playing against CPU can get you all the way to an 85 Ovr. How you play in online play can boost you to 99. If you stay around 500 cr your guy will not go above 85.. 600 cr= 88 700=91 800=94 900= 97 1000= 99 the game DOES still have seperate CR between different modes threes and EASHL but you also have a CR that tracks your play in Every mode in WoC. There also needs to be changes to CR. Someone who is positionally sound and plays a good game may not suffer as badly as someone who played a really bad game.

Online franchise- I don't play franchise because it's not online.. having options to lower # of games and whatnot could be cool too. This is not a big problem and if server space and whatnot is a problem I guess I understand.

HUT is probably 6 years behind Madden.. why do we still have contracts? No boost cards? Is there a salary cap mode (there might be, I quit playing the second I saw I got a contract card) are there fun challenges? In Madden I faced an ENTIRE team of Terrell Owens and was laughing the whole time! I thought I could run on him but 3 95 speed guys at linebacker made that difficult. The point is, it was a stupid challenge but it was really fun! Imagine we have challenges where we gotta play a team full of gritty and they're EXTREMELY aggressive and looking for hits! Make the mode fun! Also add boost cards and salary cap! Maybe I want to have a yzerman on my team but maybe a younger version so he's only 84 ovr. Because I don't want to spend too much on him.. just ideas. HUT just looked really boring in the little time I gave it but I ran the second I saw injury and contract stuff..

I'm not expecting much or all of this to get in but it's things that I think should be looked into. I comment so much on this game because it CAN be such a great game and it's actually pretty close but the problems it has are BAD.

Replies

• Im down to remove HUT completely. Its just a big money grab. One hand tuck is broken but they deny it. And goalie AI has the IQ of a box of tic tacs while the defense is literally god tier
  • NHL 21 will be on next gen console? If so I guess NHL 21 won’t be released until Nov/Dec.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Don't forget lobbies is an absolute must as well so a game of 6s can be played without peak hours. My God what an absolutely horrendous matchmaking engine. It sucked in 19, and they doubled down on it. My God does it suck.
  • Don't forget lobbies is an absolute must as well so a game of 6s can be played without peak hours. My God what an absolutely horrendous matchmaking engine. It sucked in 19, and they doubled down on it. My God does it suck.

No lobbies is just so anti-community. The lobby system was the main reason for why the 360 NHL community was so alive and engaged. The decisions made during this entire generation just leave me disappointed because this feels like a “transitional generation.” I’m just not excited about the “vision” for this series that we saw these last two years. Doubled-down on the “CHEL BRAH” community, offline modes severely lacking immersion and customization, and gameplay that has seen so many “tool” upgrades, but not enough fundamental AI upgrades or at least a deep-dive into advanced tactics options that could alleviate some of the AI issues that hold this game back more than any of the “tools” ever did.

Here’s to hoping all of the talk about this generation seemingly being an “upgrade” rather than entirely new console era where nothing is BC and has radical differences, will mean this foundation can continue to be polished rather than “built fresh.”
  • The Chel thing is so cringeworthy. Ah things used to be so cool when I was young. Now they’re corny. Yeah get off my lawn lol!
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Don't forget lobbies is an absolute must as well so a game of 6s can be played without peak hours. My God what an absolutely horrendous matchmaking engine. It sucked in 19, and they doubled down on it. My God does it suck.

No lobbies is just so anti-community. The lobby system was the main reason for why the 360 NHL community was so alive and engaged. The decisions made during this entire generation just leave me disappointed because this feels like a “transitional generation.” I’m just not excited about the “vision” for this series that we saw these last two years. Doubled-down on the “CHEL BRAH” community, offline modes severely lacking immersion and customization, and gameplay that has seen so many “tool” upgrades, but not enough fundamental AI upgrades or at least a deep-dive into advanced tactics options that could alleviate some of the AI issues that hold this game back more than any of the “tools” ever did.

Here’s to hoping all of the talk about this generation seemingly being an “upgrade” rather than entirely new console era where nothing is BC and has radical differences, will mean this foundation can continue to be polished rather than “built fresh.”

One thing that has always irritated me about the AI is that defensively they never really poke or hold out defensive skill stick or anything like that. Largely just positioning where they mirror your movements and going for hits. Not too much actual defensive activity, even on superstar. You have to crank up aggression on the sliders to get some of this.
  • Tbh I thought I had lobbies on my list.. I must have just forgot it!

HUT could be playable but they need to go the Madden rout. Make it fun. Add salary cap modes and add boostable cards.

Everyone playing with about 85 Ovr team for the first month or two and then a slow rising cap throughout the year would be awesome. Players can choose to make a superstar top line, good line drivers on each line, or an average team across the board!

Challenges could be more than 1. Score 2 goals. 2. Have 85% passing 3. Win faceoffs. That's boring, squad battles also get boring. Once again.. do like Madden! Let me play through the last 50-60 Stanley cups. Maybe make us beat the team that won. If it was Boston, maybe they have Orr and a few others (then sprinkle in the real bruins for every space not locked down with a historic player. Maybe we also play some of the big rivalries in their prime? If NHL made it fun, got rid of contracts, and added salary cap, I'd bet more people would play. Sure some people wouldn't spend money if there were a salary cap, but many would and many might want a salary cap team and a team of superstars. Some that ONLY play salary cap may STILL spend money esp as the cap rises (if they don't have time to play too often) OR if they want a maxed out superstar on their first line. I dunno the $ that MUT brings in but I assume the changes they've made have brought them more $. Salary cap is much more fun. When NHL hosts tourneys they could use salary cap!

As far a the chel bruh stuff goes, it is a little cringe worthy but I've actually found myself liking threes (not so much eliminator due to so many problems with loading in and stuff) I play EASHL when friends are on and we want to play serious and we can find a game w/o CPU's all over the ice (at least at the start anyway) but eliminator allows only 1 CPU so if you get annoyed with them it's (sorta) better. It's also less serious, crazy stuff happens, lots of goals, quick games, it's just fun. Esp after work or if your brain feels fried. All that being said if a CPU single handily beats you and your friends the game is going off. Or when you see two 900 cr guys who ONLY play if they have a cpu and if they didn't have him they would be ~600 it can get extremely frustrating.. it just goes back to my first thing that needs changed. Gimp these cpu's in WoC. They prob just need a boost in modes OUTSIDE of EASHL. No one likes to play against a bit that knows their every move and has abilities that they don't have. Esp when HUMANS are using them to gain an advantage. That's just poor programming to allow for that.
  • Tylytys
    53 posts Member
    Cross play! Some nights its very hard to find game in eashl
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Tylytys wrote: »

That's why I proposed lobbies because I'd imagine it'd be easier to implement than cross play.
  • Tylytys wrote: »

That's why I proposed lobbies because I'd imagine it'd be easier to implement than cross play.

Honestly I think both are needed. NHL needs cross play more than probably any EA game. Having likely the smallest player base and now so many modes.

Online vs, HUT, threes, franchise, BAP, shootout, ones, EASHL 3's drop-in, EASHL 3's club, EASHL 6's drop in, EASHL 6's club, WoC threes, pro am, WoC ones.. I'm probably forgetting some.. I think some of these need to be combined/ eliminated.

Personally I think one's is the most pointless mode but maybe it has a following? Threes is fun when you wanna score a lot and not take the game serious but I feel threes outside of WoC is pointless. I think combining 3's club/ drop-in and 6's club and drops would help a lot! Mostly because a lot of clubs just play drop-in anyway (whether to get easy wins or because they can't find games) maybe even have people join you club team for a game when you search with less players.. BAP should be part of WoC. That gets rid of almost half. Then double the player base with cross play and we might get games. Raise the number of needed humans/ limit CPU abilities and more people MIGHT wanna play this game longer!
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member

Honestly I think both are needed. NHL needs cross play more than probably any EA game. Having likely the smallest player base and now so many modes.

Online vs, HUT, threes, franchise, BAP, shootout, ones, EASHL 3's drop-in, EASHL 3's club, EASHL 6's drop in, EASHL 6's club, WoC threes, pro am, WoC ones.. I'm probably forgetting some.. I think some of these need to be combined/ eliminated.

Personally I think one's is the most pointless mode but maybe it has a following? Threes is fun when you wanna score a lot and not take the game serious but I feel threes outside of WoC is pointless. I think combining 3's club/ drop-in and 6's club and drops would help a lot! Mostly because a lot of clubs just play drop-in anyway (whether to get easy wins or because they can't find games) maybe even have people join you club team for a game when you search with less players.. BAP should be part of WoC. That gets rid of almost half. Then double the player base with cross play and we might get games. Raise the number of needed humans/ limit CPU abilities and more people MIGHT wanna play this game longer!

Oh definitely we need both. Could you imagine how great this game could be if we had both?
  • Steven5470
    355 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    I think all features you can do with Threes or Chel online, you should be able to do offline vs AI. Plus, after years and years, it would be nice to have an All Star game / Trny with 3v3.

Besides fixing the horrible AI, I would definitely recommend new announcers. I turned these guys off because all they do is yell. They're like the drunk friend at the bar who thinks the music is too loud so they have to talk louder. Probably the worst announcers in this entire series history.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4742 posts EA Community Manager
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    I think all features you can do with Threes or Chel online, you should be able to do offline vs AI. Plus, after years and years, it would be nice to have an All Star game / Trny with 3v3.

Besides fixing the horrible AI, I would definitely recommend new announcers. I turned these guys off because all they do is yell. They're like the drunk friend at the bar who thinks the music is too loud so they have to talk louder. Probably the worst announcers in this entire series history.

@Steven5470 I don't see that you've jumped into this discussion below yet. Feel free to add announcers too (not just guest commentators) so we can get a list going.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/254203/next-guest-commentator/p1
  • Don't forget lobbies is an absolute must as well so a game of 6s can be played without peak hours. My God what an absolutely horrendous matchmaking engine. It sucked in 19, and they doubled down on it. My God does it suck.

One thing that has always irritated me about the AI is that defensively they never really poke or hold out defensive skill stick or anything like that. Largely just positioning where they mirror your movements and going for hits. Not too much actual defensive activity, even on superstar. You have to crank up aggression on the sliders to get some of this.

Yeah I make sure CPU teams run puck side attack + 100/100 aggression slider on All-Star in my set. They’re overly aggressive at times, but I’d rather be forced to make a nice passing play (0 pass assist) than simply come down and snipe a corner for goals. AI needs more of a happy medium to it, but nothing in my many hours of testing sliders + strategies have produced a truly happy medium. To counter this, I jack up CPU pass interceptions to 94/100. Makes up for their lack of awareness.
  • I think the focus should be to not handle it like 19. The 19 beta was great, then they butchered it.
  • Oh man where do I begin with NHL 21.

You guys have a lot of potential in the upcoming game. We have a lot of expectations that are ready and we would really appreciate seeing a lot of them implemented.

for one thing I think many fans would like to see a complete revamp of NHL be a pro mode. You guys used to do something called live the Life. I know that you got rid of it after 2014 but a lot of people liked it and it's still a curiosity as to why you got rid of it. it was a much more entertaining be a pro mode than anything you guys have done recently. I'm not necessarily saying copy that but I am saying you should try something to make it feel like you're actually a pro rather than just scrolling through the menus.

Franchise mode is another interesting one. I play franchise mode a lot and it is personally my favorite mode. But like bar down said in their video analyzing NHL 20, there were a lot of things that you might just want to reconsider working on. I appreciate many of the additions you have added for the franchise mode in NHL 20 and I think you can go step further and make it significantly better. For example GM connected would be amazing. It would be awesome to be able to play against some friends of mine in GM mode and prove that I'm the best GM in the world. (try and argue all you want but you can't prove it because there's no GM connected) I don't like how you made goalies less valuable and defenseman more valuable. It is very important to have good people in all three positions, especially goalie. I don't really use fog of war but I still see it as a good mode to add and I appreciate that. honestly if I had to pick a mode that was most improved from the last game it probably would be franchise mode. But unfortunately I still think there's a long way to go before franchise mode is the best in the game.

I see this mentioned a lot up here but I'm going to mention it again. Custom goalie masks. I'm so sick of having to choose from the same masks every single time it is really frustrating especially because most of the masks you have don't look very good. I understand that you have to keep the lights on with the microtransactions in HUT and EASHL, but one improving the selection for decoration be a good thing for games like that?

I know most of the things I've mentioned do not benefit the monetary gains for this series, but I think that with the increase of these it would really prove that the EA community producing NHL 21 would really care about its customers.
  • A lot of these complaints are valid, like AI on Defense lol, but saying they should get rid of HUT is the reason they won't listen to anyone half the time. I think HUT could be a lot better and generate a lot more revenue. Game of War really set the standard for how easily you can make fake products sound like you're getting a really sweet deal. I don't mind all the clothes and little tweak add ons, but I think its
  • a little overdone. I absolutely loved the outdoor rinks in WoC, I just wanna spend every single day at that farmhouse or get a ride in that chopper lol I wish all drop ins weren't outside though. In both HUT and WoC by far my biggest complaint has always been the matchmaking. Its a nightmare. You can spend an hour with people leaving crap games before you get 10-12 people that all agree on one. I also have no idea why you can't change your position once set, There are so many instances where I would play G when another human shows up, but I always have to leave the room. I think they do a good job of balancing player attributes, but it really seems like anything above 87-88 has zero effect. In WoC you could be dominating a team but one guy shows up and puts up five goals. This seems to be pretty consistent where one guy gets a lot of goals and they don't do anything special, like hold the puck or slow the game down or do some crazy move. Makes me wonder if they just have really good internet or something. Overall I think they make solid changes year after year, easily worth the $60-$100. I just wish they were more transparent with the community and i wish they would like have age brackets of a persons real age, im not gonna get annoyed at some 15yr old that sucks on Defense, I just don't ever want to match with them. The censorship in thee game is way overdone. Just watching NHL games you can see or hear them yell stuff on the broadcast, but I do realize they're trying to maintain an E rating.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited July 2020

NHL needs crossplay more than any game in history

This game is basically garbage long term in any mode other than 6s. So you need 12 people playing unique positions to play a game. With the one of the smallest player bases for online gaming I've ever seen its critical that you bring more people together.

You badly need to get this done and then you need to create divisions amongst players based on some kind of even remotely improved grading system. No different than having options to play only in your own region, you should be able to play games against players of similar skill sets. Doesn't have to be crazy. Start simple. Basic division of those that care to play something that even remotely resembles hockey from those that probably don't even know what sport they are playing, might as well be bumper cars (that would probably be at least 50% of he player base).

This is how you increase your online player base, improve the most public and accessible aspect of your game, drop ins. The idea that 3rd party websites/leagues or social media will do this work for you is a farce. The size of those leagues have slowly increased but the online player base has shrunk considerably.

You have to make the game accessible and fun. That comes down to your public game experience. EASHL started off pretty good in this area but rather than improve its gone downhill.
  • y0uthX
    54 posts Member
    Steven5470 wrote: »

Worst announcers? Nah
    I like them