EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Gameplay

Replies

• HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    Yeah in most 6s games (not drop ins) you see lots of cycling. You have to if you want to be successful. Problem is that good cycling doesn't always reward against good defense because teams typically just clog two areas defensively and because shots can't get through it makes it really difficult to score in top team vs top team games. Every now and then you see a pass get through that shouldn't, but in large part 6s is actually where the game puts out its best performance simulating hockey. Is it great? No. Things like pucks being blocked 95% of the time, puck interceptions not working occasionally, goaltending being horrendously bad-sometimes way too OP, etc. ruin it but it actually resembles a bit of hockey at least.
  • EA_Blueberry
    2862 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Great said Aljo, and if I may.. The trick is to slow down. Try to use all your players on the ice. Up and down and side to side, in the process when you trying to find a good attacking line in to hes zone. Maybe delete the part in your brain which says "I-must-score-now(!!) at the same time reff dropp the puck. If you wanna play that way you talkin about you need to change behavior on the ice.

Still struggle with that from time to time. Especially when I'm rattled a bit from a couple goals down. Once you start going side to side you create more opportunities because the opponent is more likely to get aggressive being up a couple goals. Make them pay for it.
  • Sega82mega
    1293 posts Member
    Yeah you gotta have ice in your veins.. I love how the ice opens up like a gateway to Heaven when you play on a 1 or 2-0 lead. Stress stress stress hehe! Not as much fun to be down though.. :wink:
  • I’m sorry but I just don’t think you guys are being genuine in what you’re seeing. I’d love to see examples of this so called cycling though. And for the record there was more cycling on average in 6s drop in games on last gen than there is on 6s league or club games on current gen NHLs. That’s something that the guys/gals that played on last gen can’t deny. It’s just a gigantic difference in the way the players moved.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    I’m sorry but I just don’t think you guys are being genuine in what you’re seeing. I’d love to see examples of this so called cycling though. And for the record there was more cycling on average in 6s drop in games on last gen than there is on 6s league or club games on current gen NHLs. That’s something that the guys/gals that played on last gen can’t deny. It’s just a gigantic difference in the way the players moved.

I agree and disagree with that statement. There's more cycling yet more individualism at the same time. In the old gen you couldn't dangle through lots of people and retain the puck so you saw more passing but actual cycling wasn't as common. More of an up and down game because defense was different in old gen.

The higher the level you go the more cycling you see in the offensive zone, in my opinion.
  • I dunno I’ve only played 3 drop in 6s games this year and even with 3 of my friends playing with me they were pretty brutal and we’re all at least solid to very good video game players. Haven’t had the urge to go back so we stick to 3s because it’s much more fun. Tried 6s in previous current gen games and it was the same if not worse. However I’ve done my research before coming to post on this because I didn’t just want to make unfounded claims. There are plenty of LG 6s games on YouTube and I’ve watched enough to come to this conclusion (along with playing the mode myself).

Previous gen it was a mix but it was only a matter of time before you got into a stretch of really good drop in games even with randoms. They were loaded with good cycling, defense, offense and talent that you just don’t see on display on current gen NHL games. Just go and watch for yourself you can find plenty of games on YouTube.

And if anyone has footage of games where cycling and real hockey like plays are prevalent by all means I’m willing to eat my words. I actually want this to be true so that I’m not so negative about the current state of the game. I want to love this game believe me. I’m trying my hardest.
  • You shouldn't have to try to love anything and this game isn't even close to being liked it's a bad game ,even a lot of the top players have stopped playing this game because the current state that it's in
  • Sega82mega
    1293 posts Member
    Maybe this top players dont deserve to be in the top, would be fun to match up against them, so I atleast can see what hockey they prefer to play. I can only imagine how fast it must get boring if you force the same play over and over again.
  • EA_Aljo
    1478 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Maybe this top players dont deserve to be in the top, would be fun to match up against them, so I atleast can see what hockey they prefer to play. I can only imagine how fast it must get boring if you force the same play over and over again.

It's not fun to force the same play and it's also not very successful when your team works to defend it. Good teams know how to cycle and find open players for good scoring chances. It's not as easy as it was in the last generation as passing in general is harder. Even with your assist all the way up, you still have to be more precise with your aim than previously.
  • Sega82mega
    1293 posts Member
    edited May 28
    Yeah its not that easy but I have my ideas of why.. But when you finaly get that pressure, its hugh, you almost feel the strenght behind the attack.

And Yes, its not very successful but thoose people that good on this areas is pretty hard to get becuse they do all they can to manipulate the game mechanisms to get there. But your right, its not so successful that its worth going through all the mess before you get there.
  • smyth9779
    176 posts Member
    edited May 28
    To be honest, I havent seen many people cycling the puck I do it all the time because I refuse to do this spin moves in the corner and go straight to the front of the net. The defense just moves out of the way half the time. Like parting of the seas. Ita ridiculous. So I cycle down low, back to the points. Carry around the net. Back to the points. Look for open guys in the high slot areas to get the defense moving so my defensemen have a clear shot at the net. Or wait for my guys to skate across the front for deflections.. if I have nothing, i throw the puck at the net. It's that simple. I dont skate around like a moron ragging the puck looking for that cross crese cheese. Or the top corner cheese. But do i see other people doing this? Not really. I'm in division 4 in rivals... most of the people I play do the same thing over and over. They don't play hockey. That's for sure. This is why I always have more shots than my opponent. I take what's given to me and I dont wait for the GAME to screw up so I can score. It's not fun.
  • Sega82mega
    1293 posts Member
    Hehe yeah, I dont think I have lost the shots on this whole NHL year, even if my opponent has 14:00 TOA. I dont want to mess up the game either. I always try to cycling to, with som success, but I wish it would be alot more easy.

The one that try to cycling me, is either thoose gliders just waitin for my AI to loose position or the ones that comes flying down to the corner and almost break hes neck when he pass the puck back to D and the D pass it over for a one timer to the other D. Not so sexy cycling.

But I feel its better chance to get going in a nice cycling this year then any other sence 15.
  • Steven5470
    349 posts Member
    edited June 3
    Speaking of game play, EA needs to address the horrible AI passing issues in this game. This is beyond madness with the AI passing "logic".

Tampa Bay up the boards and could clearly dump the puck. But no, passes back.

This one, I pass the puck up to my player(AI) and he.....passes it back to the other team:

He has a breakaway! But he passes back.....again. Before you try and defend this, no..I did not press any buttons on my controller to call for a pass.

I don't remember it being this bad in NHL 19. They even pass the puck back when there are clear paths to the net or clear shots. The passing back mechanic of the AI, for one reason or another, seems to be the main thought process. Happens way too frequently and at the oddest of times.
  • EA_Blueberry
    2862 posts EA Community Manager
    How would you all feel about a practice or free skate mode for Clubs where you can practice strategies without having to worry about an opposing defense, do you think that would help improve the cycling of the puck and promote other types of strategies?

One thing I really love about FIFA are the skill games within a dedicated section of the game and during loading screens. If you haven't played FIFA, there are games you can play to test your skills in certain areas like passing, dribbling the ball, etc. They are time based. Like this video below:

• j0rtsu67
    483 posts Member
    edited June 3
    How would you all feel about a practice or free skate mode for Clubs where you can practice strategies without having to worry about an opposing defense, do you think that would help improve the cycling of the puck and promote other types of strategies?

One thing I really love about FIFA are the skill games within a dedicated section of the game and during loading screens. If you haven't played FIFA, there are games you can play to test your skills in certain areas like passing, dribbling the ball, etc. They are time based. Like this video below:

You should already know the answer. In case you don't just search "club practice"... ;)

Or check the latest message in Nhl21 wishlist written yesterday.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    Steven5470 wrote: »
    Speaking of game play, EA needs to address the horrible AI passing issues in this game. This is beyond madness with the AI passing "logic".

Tampa Bay up the boards and could clearly dump the puck. But no, passes back.

This one, I pass the puck up to my player(AI) and he.....passes it back to the other team:

He has a breakaway! But he passes back.....again. Before you try and defend this, no..I did not press any buttons on my controller to call for a pass.

I don't remember it being this bad in NHL 19. They even pass the puck back when there are clear paths to the net or clear shots. The passing back mechanic of the AI, for one reason or another, seems to be the main thought process. Happens way too frequently and at the oddest of times.

This happens all the time offline even within fully CPU controlled teams. It's 100% blame on the horrible, horrible A.I programming.

Surprised it hasn't come up more on the forums. It's kind of game breaking actually with how frequent it happens.
  • Oh I've posted about it a few times, but it seems to not get attention. It's pretty blatant how bad the AI is. This was one game and not even through the 2nd period before I just quit because another poor AI logic decision cost me a goal. But, at least EA was content with the game play.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1266 posts Member
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

You should already know the answer. In case you don't just search "club practice"... ;)

Yeah, this is something that has been requested for ever - but people get tired of asking the same thing year after year, since apparently our wishes fall to dead ears.

• EA_Aljo
    1478 posts EA Community Manager
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Yeah, this is something that has been requested for ever - but people get tired of asking the same thing year after year, since apparently our wishes fall to dead ears.

It's not that these requests fall on deaf ears at all. The dev team is well aware of the requests for a practice mode, but it hasn't been included yet as feedback from the community in other areas was requested more. There's only so much time to develop the game each year so they have to be careful about what gets worked on and what needs to be saved for the future. Nobody is purposely being ignored.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

It's not that these requests fall on deaf ears at all. The dev team is well aware of the requests for a practice mode, but it hasn't been included yet as feedback from the community in other areas was requested more. There's only so much time to develop the game each year so they have to be careful about what gets worked on and what needs to be saved for the future. Nobody is purposely being ignored.

If you are "well aware" of a practice mode being requested, why are you then asking if people are interested in one?

Because that's kind of the definition for a request falling on deaf ears.