EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Your move EA.

Prev1
Ijkla
5 posts Member
Nice to see some companies are actually trying to address the toxicity in their games in regards to player names.

https://i.redd.it/swjnutcv4s251.jpg

Time for EA Sports to finally step up and do something and that includes removing play by play names such as "13th amendment"

Replies

• mikeq67
    114 posts Member
    edited June 4
    This game is one of the worst offenders of this Ive ever seen. It seems like about 80% of the online community is a giant black guy with blonde beards and an overtly racist name that they claim is a "joke". Im the last person to whine about stuff being not PC, but this stuff just isnt funny at all.

They just need to add a reporting system and actually monitor and punish people. most of their game has racist/sexist/homophobic/etc names everywhere.

[Socair - edited for profanity and calling out moderation]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Socair
    2372 posts Game Changer
    edited June 4
    We have already had a lengthy discussion about this here
    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/258548/racism#latest
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Moxrox84
    270 posts Member
    Socair wrote: »
    We have already had a lengthy discussion about this here
    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/258548/racism#latest

But you closed the thread. EA has a major problem, and it's not going to go away just because you close threads on it. This needs to be addressed because it's a daily thing. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I have NEVER sat and played and didn't see a racist name in this game. That's how bad it is.
  • Ijkla
    5 posts Member
    edited June 5
    “We already had a lengthy discussion”

L-O-L

Then you guys locked it and nothingS came from it. Shows exactly where the priorities lie with EA.

We gamers have to go to these contrived lengths to even try to get ahold of somebody who can address this issue, googling forums and signing up only to be told to take screen shot and submit them. Then be told “we already talked about this”

How many people do you think are going to do that?

3 simple solutions:

1) Force gamer tag/PSN ID on every bodies Jerseys in eashl

2) There need to be a report button for team names with actual humans reviewing the reports And the player need to be banned from online.

3) Start removing the obvious racist play by play names that I’m not even sure how got approved. Did nobody along the chain of custody during scripting/recording/mixing Notice how blatant they are? Please.

Someone needs to step up and take responsibility for how toxic you guys have let this franchise become online the last 10+ years
    [Socair - edited for profanity short hand]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • EA_Aljo
    1474 posts EA Community Manager
    edited June 5
    Ijkla wrote: »

L-O-L

Then you guys locked it and nothingS came from it. Shows exactly where the priorities lie with EA.

We gamers have to go to these contrived lengths to even try to get ahold of somebody who can address this issue, googling forums and signing up only to be told to take screen shot and submit them. Then be told “we already talked about this”

3 simple solutions:

2) There need to be a report button for team names with actual humans reviewing the reports And the player need to be banned from online.

3) Start removing the obvious racist play by play names that I’m not even sure how got approved. Did nobody along the chain of custody during scripting/recording/mixing Notice how blatant they are? Please.

Someone needs to step up and take responsibility for how toxic you guys have let this franchise become online the last 10+ years
    [Socair - edited quote]

That thread could have remained open if it hadn't gone in the direction that it did. Having a constructive discussion around how to handle this issue within our game is fine, but when it gets heated and potentially is turning into attacking each other, we have to step in and shut it down.

We have been removing names as best we can, but it's impossible to get them all. We hate to see the names people are creating. It's disgusting and definitely not something we support in any way, shape or form. There have been thousands of players in NHL alone this year that have had action taken on their accounts. I understand this isn't the best way to go about resolving this issue and I don't have anything I can share about the future, today, but this is a very big focus currently. As with everything, it takes time. The simple solutions you're suggesting aren't near as simple as it may seem.

You're welcome to continue a constructive conversation, but the moment it gets heated, we'll close it down. Please keep this in mind as your last post is close to making that happen. Again, we are working to resolve this, but it's not an overnight process at all. So, hopefully we can continue to work together instead of butting heads as we all want the same outcome. Getting there is the challenge.
    Post edited by Socair on
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited June 6
    The trolling and terrible community is the worst part of this game. We are all sick of goalies coming out of the net, players scoring on their own net, going offside all the time, not playing their position, taking penalties behind the play, etc.. This game needs some serious anti-trolling and anti-griefing measures in place. The community needs to be policed and at least a vote kick system in place if there is not a working auto kick. We have been complaining about this for years. Do something EA.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

L-O-L

3 simple solutions:

[Socair - edited quote]

That thread could have remained open if it hadn't gone in the direction that it did. Having a constructive discussion around how to handle this issue within our game is fine, but when it gets heated and potentially is turning into attacking each other, we have to step in and shut it down.

We have been removing names as best we can, but it's impossible to get them all. We hate to see the names people are creating. It's disgusting and definitely not something we support in any way, shape or form. There have been thousands of players in NHL alone this year that have had action taken on their accounts. I understand this isn't the best way to go about resolving this issue and I don't have anything I can share about the future, today, but this is a very big focus currently. As with everything, it takes time. The simple solutions you're suggesting aren't near as simple as it may seem.

You're welcome to continue a constructive conversation, but the moment it gets heated, we'll close it down. Please keep this in mind as your last post is close to making that happen. Again, we are working to resolve this, but it's not an overnight process at all. So, hopefully we can continue to work together instead of butting heads as we all want the same outcome. Getting there is the challenge.

Nobody was attacking each other. There was a rational adult conversation going on and after typing up a 30 minute post you guys had closed it.
  • EA_Aljo

L-O-L

3 simple solutions:

[Socair - edited quote]

Nobody was attacking each other. There was a rational adult conversation going on and after typing up a 30 minute post you guys had closed it.

We are going to be extra sensitive when it comes to discussions of this nature. That one was moving away from talking about how to report players and what we're doing about it and started heading in a less rational direction. If you want to start the conversation again, that's fine, but we'll be quick to shut it down if it looks like this is happening again.
  • EA_Blueberry
    2855 posts EA Community Manager
    A recent statement by the NHL team:

ica8ovi97o8g.png
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited June 9
    A recent statement by the NHL team:

ica8ovi97o8g.png

That's all good and everything, but what is being done about trolls and griefing? Why is one person allowed to ruin it for 11 others in drop-in games? Also, bring back in-door arenas and uniforms. Clown gear, outdoor rinks, and shadows suck.
    [Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Nice words EA put out. What is the diversity of EA's workforce?
  • EA_Aljo
    Nice words EA put out. What is the diversity of EA's workforce?

Our workforce is extremely diverse and we have a very inclusive company culture.
  • Extremely is a vague word. What does that mean exactly?
  • Traymanx55
    2 posts New member
    How do I report player names? I play eliminators every night and take pics of gamertags/player names. I have a couple that I would like to turn in. I don't want to continue to see this every night.
  • EA_Aljo
    Extremely is a vague word. What does that mean exactly?

Maybe this will explain it better - https://www.ea.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited June 12
    Nice words EA put out. What is the diversity of EA's workforce?

Our workforce is extremely diverse and we have a very inclusive company culture.

What a weird statement coming from a forum mod.

Edit: yes, your link explained it better
  • A recent statement by the NHL team:

ica8ovi97o8g.png

GONCh1.gif
  • Traymanx55 wrote: »
    How do I report player names? I play eliminators every night and take pics of gamertags/player names. I have a couple that I would like to turn in. I don't want to continue to see this every night.

EA is taking action! Lots of people have gotten into trouble over this! You can't actually report people, and no one actually knows of anyone who's been banned, and no one really knows what actions are being taken if someone is identified, actually.. a few weeks ago EA said they rarely see these names and they've played thousands of games! BUT action is being taken!! So all you "Mo Lester's" out there and Barry McCo... And all the racist names lookout! Because EA put a notice out when you open the game and you have to click X to proceed into the game now so I guess you can say that things are getting pretty serious!

EA is taking action! Lots of people have gotten into trouble over this! You can't actually report people, and no one actually knows of anyone who's been banned, and no one really knows what actions are being taken if someone is identified, actually.. a few weeks ago EA said they rarely see these names and they've played thousands of games! BUT action is being taken!! So all you "Mo Lester's" out there and Barry McCo... And all the racist names lookout! Because EA put a notice out when you open the game and you have to click X to proceed into the game now so I guess you can say that things are getting pretty serious!

While racism and the names people make can be awful, you're acting like your skin would get punctured by nerf objects coming into contact with it.

While racism and the names people make can be awful, you're acting like your skin would get punctured by nerf objects coming into contact with it.

Meh I suppose it takes at least a tiny bit of intelligence to make me laugh.. seeing the same names and the same "jokes" doesn't really do it for me. Maybe I have a hard time understanding where some people like you are coming from when they want stuff like this to be in the game. If I play 2 hours and I run into 5 people named B. McCockiner it gets a bit overplayed.. I know a lot of little kids play this that think it's funny though.