EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Let's Talk Game Speed

Replies

• VeNOM2099
    3148 posts Member
    Game speed has always been a problem for Human goalies (and sometimes AI Goalies) as we're not equipped to be able to react to an attackers speed and agility. They can simply rotate at lightning speeds, quickly twitching left and right while still keeping too much control of the puck, not to mention that as long as they don't take a stride while rotating, the game immediately puts them in a "glide" state which gives them a boost to the shot power and accuracy.

D-men also have a problem containing the speed at which offense happens, having to turn away from the play to skate forward in order to be able to keep up, which is bass ackwards in terms of defense as you ALWAYS would want to face the player while defending your zone, not the way NHL 20 makes you play defense.

At the same time, even though top speed is too high, I feel like acceleration is not explosive enough. You see it many times in the NHL, where a player looks like he's cruising along, and then he puts on the afterburners and quickly overpowers his defender (Like McDavid did to the Maple Leafs' Reilly last year). That's not because McDavid is "faster" than Reilly, but because he just accelerates to top speed (which might be the same as Reilly's) faster. So while Connor can go from 1st to 5th gear in 1 second, Reilly needs 2 seconds to do the same.

The problem with affecting any changes in this is that general player's perceptions which can be easily skewed. Many players will compare the speeds they see in Hockey when they watch a game on TV, but they don't think that when they watch a game broadcast, the camera is at a fixed point and tracking the puck. While in this game, the camera is actually moving locations WITH the puck/player.

It's the same thing in Racing like Formula One, where cars can reach speeds in excess of 300 Kph (about 187 Mph). Watching a race from the driver's viewpoint gives a much greater perception of speed than if you watch it from a Top Down view that's following the car.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member
    edited June 5
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Game speed has always been a problem for Human goalies (and sometimes AI Goalies) as we're not equipped to be able to react to an attackers speed and agility. They can simply rotate at lightning speeds, quickly twitching left and right while still keeping too much control of the puck, not to mention that as long as they don't take a stride while rotating, the game immediately puts them in a "glide" state which gives them a boost to the shot power and accuracy.

D-men also have a problem containing the speed at which offense happens, having to turn away from the play to skate forward in order to be able to keep up, which is bass ackwards in terms of defense as you ALWAYS would want to face the player while defending your zone, not the way NHL 20 makes you play defense.

At the same time, even though top speed is too high, I feel like acceleration is not explosive enough. You see it many times in the NHL, where a player looks like he's cruising along, and then he puts on the afterburners and quickly overpowers his defender (Like McDavid did to the Maple Leafs' Reilly last year). That's not because McDavid is "faster" than Reilly, but because he just accelerates to top speed (which might be the same as Reilly's) faster. So while Connor can go from 1st to 5th gear in 1 second, Reilly needs 2 seconds to do the same.

The problem with affecting any changes in this is that general player's perceptions which can be easily skewed. Many players will compare the speeds they see in Hockey when they watch a game on TV, but they don't think that when they watch a game broadcast, the camera is at a fixed point and tracking the puck. While in this game, the camera is actually moving locations WITH the puck/player.

It's the same thing in Racing like Formula One, where cars can reach speeds in excess of 300 Kph (about 187 Mph). Watching a race from the driver's viewpoint gives a much greater perception of speed than if you watch it from a Top Down view that's following the car.

I think you've got the acceleration backwards. Acceleration is too high, which is why Reilly got burned. By the time he could react, he couldn't accelerate fast enough to keep up with McDavid. He got lulled. This is why dump ins don't work in this game. Players simply turn around and are at top speed so quickly that they hardly lose any time to get to speed and when you're trying to get by somebody they're already at your pace.

McDavid should have faster acceleration and speed than Reilly. In this game, Reilly keeps up with McDavid and they're not in the same league skating wise.

I see your logic and it makes sense, but by that token it'd also again remove the ability to do dump ins (like the current state of the game already) which further emphasizes the state we are already in now, that acceleration is too high.

Edit: also note that good neutral zone plays also don't work because we can't burn by defenders in this game. Changing pace hardly ever gets you an advantage like you see in real life.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    There are so few tempo differences, full power up and down and focusing on one side, monotonously play, were the neutral zone is just a stairwell.

It would be so cool if the neutral zone could play a much bigger role in the future.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    There are so few tempo differences, full power up and down and focusing on one side, monotonously play, were the neutral zone is just a stairwell.

It would be so cool if the neutral zone could play a much bigger role in the future.

I will say it forever:

Get rid of hustle so when you do beat someone for making a bad play they cannot magically get back into the play in a flash.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer

I think you've got the acceleration backwards. Acceleration is too high, which is why Reilly got burned. By the time he could react, he couldn't accelerate fast enough to keep up with McDavid. He got lulled. This is why dump ins don't work in this game. Players simply turn around and are at top speed so quickly that they hardly lose any time to get to speed and when you're trying to get by somebody they're already at your pace.

McDavid should have faster acceleration and speed than Reilly. In this game, Reilly keeps up with McDavid and they're not in the same league skating wise.

I see your logic and it makes sense, but by that token it'd also again remove the ability to do dump ins (like the current state of the game already) which further emphasizes the state we are already in now, that acceleration is too high.

Edit: also note that good neutral zone plays also don't work because we can't burn by defenders in this game. Changing pace hardly ever gets you an advantage like you see in real life.

This is true. It is that backskating and acceleration, especially to angles behind you are too high. This is something we have continued to improve within the skate model.

General accel for realism would be lower. Top speed is actually very accurate. Pivots to accels shouldn't allow you to accel as quickly which will help dump and chase and defenders getting caught flat footed.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    Sega82mega wrote: »

I will say it forever:

Get rid of hustle so when you do beat someone for making a bad play they cannot magically get back into the play in a flash.

Hustle is just asking to skate at your top ability forward. The accel and pivots are the piece that will make the difference. Hustle doesn't have any impact on those pieces.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member

I will say it forever:

Yes totaly with you on that one!
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »

I will say it forever:

Hustle is just asking to skate at your top ability forward. The accel and pivots are the piece that will make the difference. Hustle doesn't have any impact on those pieces.

But the top ability is over used and makes to much impact on the game. In my opinion.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member

This is true. It is that backskating and acceleration, especially to angles behind you are too high. This is something we have continued to improve within the skate model.

General accel for realism would be lower. Top speed is actually very accurate. Pivots to accels shouldn't allow you to accel as quickly which will help dump and chase and defenders getting caught flat footed.

Looking forward to even more improvments on that one but you are close to something really good!
  • NHLDev wrote: »

And isn't that something that was already almost fixed and working in the old skating engine (NHL 13 especially) and then reintroduced with the current cutting edge technology? :)

And what about passing? Why is passing/ interception system probably in the worst state from NHL 15?
    Well, actually every game from NHL 11 (maybe except 12 and 15 these were bad too) had better passing system.
    Is the a way how to raise the fun factor for some people? To make the puck dead and passing dull? Or is this just mistake?

What about presentation? Are we really going back to the 90s and unrealistic, ugly chase camera angles for replays? Who wants this? People that skips these things anyway??
  • While we're on the topic of speed, could we get an explanation as to why it seems to be inconsistent from game to game?

When I play EASHL 3's club games as a forward I primarily run a small, speedy sniper ( 3's is basically an arms race for speed. When in Rome.... ). In the clips below my player's skating stats are 90 SPD, 92 ACC, 88 AGI, 88 END.

Most of the time when you take fatigue into effect I'm about as fast relative to other players as I would expect. But then you get games or situations where things like this occur.

Here I'm chasing down a dumped puck against the other team's AI forward. I start off with full stamina and I'm about a stride behind him at my blue line. Somehow I'm completely unable to gain more than half a step over the entire length of the ice.

Here I'm chasing an opposing forward who's carrying the puck up the ice. And while I start of about three strides behind with full stamina, I'm unable to gain much ground over nearly the entire length of the ice. But when I carry the puck I'm hit with a speed penalty and am able to be caught easily by a build similar to mine.

Are there other factors involved that might account for why player speeds don't always seem to work as expected?
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Looking forward to even more improvments on that one but you are close to something really good!

Remember that NHL 12 video I showed you recently? Pretty much same thing.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    Just played my first Hut champ game for the weekend. He set the tempo right after the first face off. Attack 100% full speed. (ohh one of thoose again) so I know whats coming. And its so clear, people, alot of them(!) can only score 'right handed' (how they move there thumb) and when the same people need to defend, they can't cover my left side(there right side), not all the way to my left side board. Becuse how they holding the thumb on the controller. And I blame this as a 'speed injury', speed has fooled them into bealive how to skate, but only in top ability hustle style of way. My biggest problem to take advantage of this is becuse the speed is really fast so I gotta be really really fast if my mission is to do it 'right'.

And even if the puck is heading towards my zone and my last D has alot of time to pick up the puck compare to hes immediate player. They still think its a good idea to chase my D like a fool. I dont understand how it works sometimes. Breath, fall back in position, cover up passing lines and you will soon notice this game is pretty realistic. And fun.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member

Remember that NHL 12 video I showed you recently? Pretty much same thing.

I member. But overall I feel its a pretty fluid skating engine they got here. The problem is more how we choose to use it. And sometimes when the speed is overloaded. Everything breaks through. As I mention earlier, players ends up in som epilepsy seizures mode, especially when they backskate and trying to catch up.
  • HoodHoppers
    1373 posts Member

I will say it forever:

But the top ability is over used and makes to much impact on the game. In my opinion.

It's only over used because there isn't a repercussion for using it too much. It should be used sparingly, just like sprinting in real life is reserved for certain situations. And it should tire you out like crazy if you go end to end.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    edited June 5
    Correct! I would even go so far and say its a bonus to use it. Too much of a bonus.
  • Game speed is much too fast, especially at "realistic settings". Watch a hockey game, the overall gameplay is ridiculously fast. I think the TPS engine has something to do with it. the animations are INCREDIBLY sped up. the problem is there are so many people who like this, but there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO WANT REAL HOCKEY. real hockey is a fast-paced sport, but, well how do I put it?

Real NHL Hockey speed is a normal jogger, and NHL 20 hockey speed is USAIN BOLT.
  • Sega82mega
    1231 posts Member
    Hehe actually I dont even think people like the speed, I think they like what speed does for them, goals. But thats it, all the way there, untill they score, absolutely hate them.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

I will say it forever:

Do you have any intention of limiting its time frame or creating some sort of aggregate fatigue that you slowly lose throughout a game?
  • Davanial
    185 posts Member

I will say it forever:

Then what speed is a given card skating at when not 'hustling'? Is the difference between this base speed and hustle speed equal for all players? Shouldn't this be a visible stat category?