EA Forums - Banner

High Ping Response In NHL 20 Online Modes

file:///C:/Users/Death/OneDrive/Pictures/IMG_20200607_005512.jpg

Been playing rivals in HUT lately and against certain opponents there has been a theme of getting high ping response at the 3rd period usually when it happens. My Question is has EA took note of this and is working on fixing this issue or is something not right here?

It happens against the same opponents which I now try to avoid. Usually are the same ones who do the CR glitch before the game ends giving me the loss.

I somehow seem to hit up to 4000 MS sometimes and it drives me wild, these are also not against friends or anyone of that latter.

My current speeds are usually the same about 100 mbps download and 20 upload. My ping sits at 25.

Also how I would I be able to post a photo or video for proof of these issues?

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    2694 posts EA Community Manager

Been playing rivals in HUT lately and against certain opponents there has been a theme of getting high ping response at the 3rd period usually when it happens. My Question is has EA took note of this and is working on fixing this issue or is something not right here?

It happens against the same opponents which I now try to avoid. Usually are the same ones who do the CR glitch before the game ends giving me the loss.

I somehow seem to hit up to 4000 MS sometimes and it drives me wild, these are also not against friends or anyone of that latter.

My current speeds are usually the same about 100 mbps download and 20 upload. My ping sits at 25.

We'd have to go through some connection troubleshooting to see if there are any issues. First, are you on a wired or wireless connection? If it just started recently, you may need to power cycle your equipment. That can be done with these steps: unplug your modem, router and console. After 2 minutes plug in the modem and router. Let them come back online completely. Then plug in your console and start it up. Let me know what happens. Thanks!
  • My speeds are normal, and I have unplugged the everything and tried all those things. I'm connected via LAN cable. The router is very new and has not had any issues. Looking through the settings also everything is normal. It only happens against certain opponents I try to avoid because it usually ends up in a loss. even when I'm up. The game freezes last 30 seconds and I get the DNF loss...

I'm unsure how to post videos or pictures for proof of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happened in club a few times where we were up and lost at the last 30 seconds. Usually our opponent would be going afk behind the net and all hell breaks loose.
  • STARS_31491
    9 posts New member
    [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2136361"][quote="DeathcoreRitchy3;d-259215"]file:///C:/Users/Death/OneDrive/Pictures/IMG_20200607_005512.jpg

Also how I would I be able to post a photo or video for proof of these issues?[/quote]

We'd have to go through some connection troubleshooting to see if there are any issues. First, are you on a wired or wireless connection? If it just started recently, you may need to power cycle your equipment. That can be done with these steps: unplug your modem, router and console. After 2 minutes plug in the modem and router. Let them come back online completely. Then plug in your console and start it up. Let me know what happens. Thanks![/quote]

Why is it that online versus always has a different more unstable ping than other modes
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

We'd have to go through some connection troubleshooting to see if there are any issues. First, are you on a wired or wireless connection? If it just started recently, you may need to power cycle your equipment. That can be done with these steps: unplug your modem, router and console. After 2 minutes plug in the modem and router. Let them come back online completely. Then plug in your console and start it up. Let me know what happens. Thanks!

Why is it that online versus always has a different more unstable ping than other modes

Online Versus uses a peer to peer connection. If you or your opponent has a bad connection, both will feel it. This doesn't happen with dedicated servers.
  • EA_Aljo
    My speeds are normal, and I have unplugged the everything and tried all those things. I'm connected via LAN cable. The router is very new and has not had any issues. Looking through the settings also everything is normal. It only happens against certain opponents I try to avoid because it usually ends up in a loss. even when I'm up. The game freezes last 30 seconds and I get the DNF loss...

I'm unsure how to post videos or pictures for proof of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happened in club a few times where we were up and lost at the last 30 seconds. Usually our opponent would be going afk behind the net and all hell breaks loose.

When you're on dedicated servers, there isn't a way for your opponent to make your ping spike so I don't think your 4000ms pings are coming from your opponent. A high speed connection doesn't guarantee that your ping will always be low. There are many other variables at play.

Do you have a PC by chance? If so let’s find out how your connection is reaching our servers. Can you run a UO Trace and screenshot me the results? Instructions here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/.
  • I have already screenshotted my connection speeds and the high ping response. Though how would I post them here? And yes I do have a PC, it's what I used for my speed test. It happens usually within the 3rd period when my opponent goes afk for quite some time and once that happens I can barely do anything.
  • EA_Aljo
    I have already screenshotted my connection speeds and the high ping response. Though how would I post them here? And yes I do have a PC, it's what I used for my speed test. It happens usually within the 3rd period when my opponent goes afk for quite some time and once that happens I can barely do anything.

When responding, look at the icons above the reply box. You'll see one for attaching images.

How frequently is someone going AFK during the 3rd period of an Online Versus game?
  • Not versus it happens it HUT Rivals mostly. It's always against the same players it happens every time I used to play them.
  • EA_Aljo
    Not versus it happens it HUT Rivals mostly. It's always against the same players it happens every time I used to play them.

Can you run that UO Trace and get me a screenshot of the results? That should give us some good details about your connection.
  • j0rtsu67
    615 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    @EA_Aljo I'm from Finland and mostly playing HUT (Rivals/SB) and EASHL club.

My network stats seems to be ok, 100/10 cable, wired. Just tried speedtest through WiFi, 93.7/10.1, ping 11ms, jitter 1ms. Of course I'll use wired later when I run UOTrace... ;)

Ping is ~20ms stable on best server (Sweden?) and ~38ms on other EU server, sometimes I'll end up against NA player and then it is 120ms or higher and I'll back off. Same values in both HUT & EASHL.

I have no problems to connect and rarely lose connection (and if I do, only from EA, not Xbox Live...), but my problem is though like many other has described.

My player(s) feel much slower than they should. Everything feels slow and delayed (fat man lag, no lag spikes). Not every game but lets say 4 out of 5. When it plays like it should, the difference is like night and day. Offline I have no such problem, so it's not my TV.

I think EASHL plays better than HUT, but there are club games where delay is just too much to handle...

I've tried "Connection troubleshooting", no help.

When I'll run UOTrace, what would be the preferable server: easo.ea.com or 159.153.72.252 (it says European server for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™... :confused: )? I can run both, no problem... :smiley: I'll send you the screenshots tomorrow...
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Funny, I am in Finland as well, and have 100/10 connection wired like you do. My ping never goes below 29 - it's usually around 30 or a little above. I've asked a couple of my friends with 100/10, and they too seem to get much lower pings than I do... so I wonder if it's about my service provider (Telia)?

I can't get any faster connection for my apartment due to technical reasons (copper wiring in the houses), so I am kinda stuck with this unless I move out...
  • EA_Aljo
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo I'm from Finland and mostly playing HUT (Rivals/SB) and EASHL club.

My network stats seems to be ok, 100/10 cable, wired. Just tried speedtest through WiFi, 93.7/10.1, ping 11ms, jitter 1ms. Of course I'll use wired later when I run UOTrace... ;)

Ping is ~20ms stable on best server (Sweden?) and ~38ms on other EU server, sometimes I'll end up against NA player and then it is 120ms or higher and I'll back off. Same values in both HUT & EASHL.

I have no problems to connect and rarely lose connection (and if I do, only from EA, not Xbox Live...), but my problem is though like many other has described.

My player(s) feel much slower than they should. Everything feels slow and delayed (fat man lag, no lag spikes). Not every game but lets say 4 out of 5. When it plays like it should, the difference is like night and day. Offline I have no such problem, so it's not my TV.

I think EASHL plays better than HUT, but there are club games where delay is just too much to handle...

I've tried "Connection troubleshooting", no help.

When I'll run UOTrace, what would be the preferable server: easo.ea.com or 159.153.72.252 (it says European server for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™... :confused: )? I can run both, no problem... :smiley: I'll send you the screenshots tomorrow...

Try using that European server for SWTOR. That should be a better test than going to the US since it's closer to you. Thanks!
  • it is real 4 on 5 hut online games and team5 echl. lan and wifi, dns cloud/google, speed test before i start is 25-35mb/s with ping 30-40
    https://i.imgur.com/QvsKaKV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/DcZekfA.jpg
  • EA_Aljo
    it is real 4 on 5 hut online games and team5 echl. lan and wifi, dns cloud/google, speed test before i start is 25-35mb/s with ping 30-40
    https://i.imgur.com/QvsKaKV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/DcZekfA.jpg

Were you on a wireless connection when you took these screenshots?
  • ivvh4zp2yl1v.jpg

So these are my current internet speeds now. Though I'm getting high pings of 58, 48 and my lowest of 20. Yet the lag has been unbearable. Only game I even lag on.
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    This game is so choppy in online versus. I can't get a smooth game to save my life. I'm right next to Detroit, wired 200+ connection and playing at 4am but the controls just feel way too jittery.

I'd love to be able to complain about the actual gameplay but I can't get past the terrible online experience.

Went from playing ~20 games/day to just checking in once every few nights to see if maybe they fixed it but nahh. It might be time to take another five-year break from EA NHL.