EA Forums - Banner

Hitting mechanics question...

Prev13
TheMajjam
687 posts Member
edited July 1
How do you go from this (soon to be lie) in early 19...

To this currently...

5ZFZP6s.gif

Can the real slim developer please stand up and answer why, in the least, players refuse to stumble? Why do you keep altering your game for the worst? You keep sacrificing realistic gameplay for game changers that whine that they can't snipe celly on every, single, rush.

It's not enough that players EAT hits, but physics go out the window as their body locks up for a split second, yet still maintain control of the puck as their body is thrust 90 degrees to the side from the point of impact. Momentum, angles, and contact mean absolutely NOTHING is this game. As a forward, you just skate in a straight line, as fast as you can, with little fear of pokes and hits.

Replies

• nyi95
    121 posts Member
    Great question. I'd love an answer to this as well. Don't forget, almost everything they announced for nhl19 was a lie. Remember the beta?
  • Moxrox84
    270 posts Member
    To be fair though, you didn't hit him well along the boards at all. He got past you and you just shove his back a little. You were out of position and went for a hit instead of tie up along the boards, or just stay with him and force him to the outside behind the net. I don't think the hitting in this game is accurate at all, but this example isn't the best.
  • jrago73
    482 posts Member
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    To be fair though, you didn't hit him well along the boards at all. He got past you and you just shove his back a little. You were out of position and went for a hit instead of tie up along the boards, or just stay with him and force him to the outside behind the net. I don't think the hitting in this game is accurate at all, but this example isn't the best.

I would say he shoved his side but I still think it at least deserved a stumble or separation.
  • Sega82mega
    1476 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »

I would say he shoved his side but I still think it at least deserved a stumble or separation.

I wouldnt complain.. 50-50.
  • TheMajjam
    687 posts Member
    edited July 2

Hit instead of a tie up?? What are you even talking about? After the hit? I'm stuck in the hitting animation. And how am I out of position when I actually hit the guy? I wasn't beat and even tried to use my momentum to hit.
  • Developers don't ever answer questions like this unfortunately. I've brought this up in the past but never gotten answers. I brought up hitting and injuries. I've made my guy 6'1 200 pounds 85 hit 81 strength. I can crush guys who use the 5'7 169 builds times over and never injure the guy even tho the dudes neck snaps on the boards he just pops right back up like nothing happened. But I can get hit by the same guy and get injured even tho his hitting is like 67 and his strength is 70 or whatever.

Hip checking is also broke. Guy goes for a hip check spins around like a Top some how gains speed while bent over and can knock me off the puck no problem.

Ai are also immune to hits. Or if you actually get a good hit on him the Ai will pop back up and beat you to the puck
  • Leckaroo
    79 posts Member

You're probably right but looked like enough contact to disrupt the play to me.

Don't think it was a question of how to play the rush better. It was questioning why the clear contact had no effect.
  • TheMajjam
    687 posts Member
    [
    Developers don't ever answer questions like this unfortunately. I've brought this up in the past but never gotten answers. I brought up hitting and injuries. I've made my guy 6'1 200 pounds 85 hit 81 strength. I can crush guys who use the 5'7 169 builds times over and never injure the guy even tho the dudes neck snaps on the boards he just pops right back up like nothing happened. But I can get hit by the same guy and get injured even tho his hitting is like 67 and his strength is 70 or whatever.

Hip checking is also broke. Guy goes for a hip check spins around like a Top some how gains speed while bent over and can knock me off the puck no problem.

Ai are also immune to hits. Or if you actually get a good hit on him the Ai will pop back up and beat you to the puck

Yup. Hip checks are like a boost. So is the loose puck swat. More weak mechanics.

If it makes you feel better, I get a plethora of injuries just standing in the lane of incoming shots.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    [
    Developers don't ever answer questions like this unfortunately. I've brought this up in the past but never gotten answers. I brought up hitting and injuries. I've made my guy 6'1 200 pounds 85 hit 81 strength. I can crush guys who use the 5'7 169 builds times over and never injure the guy even tho the dudes neck snaps on the boards he just pops right back up like nothing happened. But I can get hit by the same guy and get injured even tho his hitting is like 67 and his strength is 70 or whatever.

Yup. Hip checks are like a boost. So is the loose puck swat. More weak mechanics.

If it makes you feel better, I get a plethora of injuries just standing in the lane of incoming shots.

Injuries just don't make sense. I hear you on blocking shots. Wish the attributes worked properly
  • One the things I didn’t like about NHL 20 was the water downed hitting. Take this clip for example

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/102401176

I use the boards to pinch the puck carrier off the puck, which should result in the puck becoming loose.

fti0v9yzwcar.png

That looks like solid contact along the boards but nothing comes out of it.

• MOLLYSHatchet69
    160 posts Member
    edited July 3
    Here I am playing as a Grinder 6'1 205 pounds crush the A.i but he just pops right back up and gets the puck lol

• HoodHoppers
    1407 posts Member

Tie-ups aren't consistent enough to do in that scenario. The only scenario he has here is to abandon the hit. Shoving mechanics aren't effective enough because the puck stays glued to sticks.

I don't think he's angry the guy didn't get knocked down, just that the guy got nudged with full control over everything as if he was in a bubble ball.
  • Follisimo
    1000 posts Member
    edited July 4
    The game takes into account.
    1. Checking stat for you
    2. Balance stat for them
    3. Did you time the hit right
    4. Where you hit him at
    5. The speeds both are going

For me it looks like a glancing hit and you didn't have much speed because you had did a semi stop and lost some momentum. Hitting isn't consistent and it isn't meant to be sadly.

• EA_Aljo
    1630 posts EA Community Manager
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    One the things I didn’t like about NHL 20 was the water downed hitting. Take this clip for example

I use the boards to pinch the puck carrier off the puck, which should result in the puck becoming loose.

fti0v9yzwcar.png

The reason this happened is that the defender turned and is now traveling in the same direction as the carrier. This has a lot less of an effect as there isn't as much of an impact as there would be with a head-on collision. Speed is also lower so there isn't as much force behind the hit.
  • TheMajjam
    687 posts Member
    edited July 4
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    One the things I didn’t like about NHL 20 was the water downed hitting. Take this clip for example

fti0v9yzwcar.png

The reason this happened is that the defender turned and is now traveling in the same direction as the carrier. This has a lot less of an effect as there isn't as much of an impact as there would be with a head-on collision. Speed is also lower so there isn't as much force behind the hit.

He clearly has a step on the other player, the other player has two hands on his stick and isn't braced for the impact, and he hit the player into the boards.

No puck protection, no try and evading the hit, no stumble, no actual physics in losing the puck, just a forward that skates in one direction and is rewarded for doing absolutely nothing, while the D-men have to use instant mathematics to figure out the game's physics and geometry in order to, in the least, separate the puck from the player.
  • EA_Aljo
    1630 posts EA Community Manager
    TheMajjam wrote: »

fti0v9yzwcar.png

He clearly has a step on the other player, the other player has two hands on his stick and isn't braced for the impact, and he hit the player into the boards.

No puck protection, no try and evading the hit, no stumble, no actual physics in losing the puck, just a forward that skates in one direction and is rewarded for doing absolutely nothing, while the D-men have to use instant mathematics to figure out the game's physics and geometry in order to, in the least, separate the puck from the player.

He chooses to turn around and face the same direction as the carrier. Had he just moved laterally and hit him from the front, chances are good the puck would be knocked loose. He also could have board played him. The hit was weak due to both of them traveling at the same speed in the same direction.
  • Sega82mega
    1476 posts Member
    Board play is interesting subject, its not always that easy to pin them against the board, but for that to happen the speed must be perfectly timed. And beacuse its not so much start and stop hockey, people tend to always look for speed, it makes it difficult to use this tool, to risky if the board play doesn't connect and you give away that space. So I rather stay on distance and keep position.
  • TheMajjam
    687 posts Member

fti0v9yzwcar.png

He chooses to turn around and face the same direction as the carrier. Had he just moved laterally and hit him from the front, chances are good the puck would be knocked loose. He also could have board played him. The hit was weak due to both of them traveling at the same speed in the same direction.

Aljo, what you just described is literally the textbook way to play defense. They guy played textbook defense, and he doesn't get beat by his opponent. He gets beat by the weak mechanics. Also boardplay? There's no chance at board play here at all. There's too much speed. You guys always mention the speed of the hitter working against him, but ALWAYS dismiss the fact that the skater's speed can work against him as well. If a skating is moving at full speed in front of you at you hit him at 0 degrees to 90 degrees, it's going to cause a reaction, especially if you smash him against the boards. At one point, the game followed the rules of physics but I understand the game changers cried about too many loose pucks. I just don't understand why everyone listened to them.

• TheMajjam wrote: »

fti0v9yzwcar.png

Aljo, what you just described is literally the textbook way to play defense. They guy played textbook defense, and he doesn't get beat by his opponent. He gets beat by the weak mechanics. Also boardplay? There's no chance at board play here at all. There's too much speed. You guys always mention the speed of the hitter working against him, but ALWAYS dismiss the fact that the skater's speed can work against him as well. If a skating is moving at full speed in front of you at you hit him at 0 degrees to 90 degrees, it's going to cause a reaction, especially if you smash him against the boards. At one point, the game followed the rules of physics but I understand the game changers cried about too many loose pucks. I just don't understand why everyone listened to them.

I don’t understand why people are focusing on speed. My goal wasn’t to crush the guy. My goal was to run him into the boards so he would loose the puck because he refused to throw it down deep. You see it many times in real NHL games where a defenseman forces the offensive player to the boards so they run out of room so they dump the puck in. So many are focused on me needing to get speed which wasn’t the point.

Stick lifting might have gotten me a penalty or as this clip will show nothing.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/102593092

o5edhz3le0tq.png

Why was I the one who needed advice for a position that I was playing textbook when the forwards in these clips should have been given the advice to move the puck instead of getting bailed out by either weak mechanics or the game bailing out offensive players. Already hard enough playing defense in this series where offense rains king but it’s always the defenders fault and never the offensive players.