EA Forums - Banner

Online Versus feels....off.

32Doak
103 posts Member
Peer-to-peer or not, something has to be done to make the gameplay more smooth. It's been about a week since I played and posted on here so I just wanted to check in and reiterate how unresponsive the game is.

I don't know how else to push EA towards creating a better online experience other than voicing my frustration every so often.

Please forward this to the developers and whomever manages the online portion of the game. Thank you.

Replies

• 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    Things I've done to improve my experience playing NHL 20 online:

1) Switched to a wired connection + wired controller
    2) Bought a new TV with a better game mode setting with low latency and optimized every setting possible
    3) Opened ports, changed DNS settings... Messed with every possible router setting and there's too many to list in that regard. I spent hours and hours spanning several months digging up everything I could about network settings and the NHL/FIFA games from past years
    4) Eventually changed internet providers and upgraded to a 600mbps plan
    5) I do a thorough power cycle every time before I play the game. Don't know why I even do it anymore
    6) I try to play in the middle of the night when the servers might be less overwhelmed but I've tried all around the clock to no avail. Easter morning was the smoothest gameplay I've experienced yet.
    7) I take every single device off my network when I play so that only my PS4 is connected.
    8) Deleted every other game off my hard drive so that NHL 20 was the only game on there and I rebuilt the PS4 database, etc.
    9) Unplugged the toaster because it was cursed

Ugh. There's a lot more but I can't think of it all at this time. The most frustrating thing is that every other game is smooth for me online except this one (I re-installed other games since deleting them had no effect).
  • Pretty much done everything you could do.. except a gaming monitor, beats a tv every day.

Try to change your MTU to 1496, see if it makes any difference?

Other then that I say there's really nothing more you or EA could do right away..

Im abit in the same boat.. But I hope next gen and better technical knowledge will make it much smoother for the days to Come.
  • Yeah hut works way better and thats how they made it. Way to make us to play moneycrap Mode.
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Pretty much done everything you could do.. except a gaming monitor, beats a tv every day.

Other then that I say there's really nothing more you or EA could do right away..

Im abit in the same boat.. But I hope next gen and better technical knowledge will make it much smoother for the days to Come.

Yeah I've got a little 21 or 22 inch monitor that I know would shave off a few milliseconds of latency but it's not ideal for my console setup.

I did a lot of tinkering with MTU settings, and sometimes the PS4's connection test will show a higher upload speed after I lower the MTU, but that test is hardly reliable and there's no noticeable in-game benefit.

For what it's worth, 90% of the time the connection status thing in NHL 20 shows all green bars, a steady 20-40ms ping, and no packet loss but it feels like my players are underwater, lol. And I've actually experienced the opposite too, where the graph is spiky and fluctuating between yellow and red with over 100ms ping but gameplay feels more responsive than usual. That's not frequent at all but it has happened a few times.

You're right though Sega, maybe there'll be improvement with the new gen of systems coming out. We shall see.
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    Tylytys wrote: »
    Yeah hut works way better and thats how they made it. Way to make us to play moneycrap Mode.

HUT could be so much better than what it is. They made it simple in the wrong places and yet managed to over-complicate it in the wrong places too. EA could make even more money from HUT if HUT didn't alienate so many of us. As it stands now, I won't spend a single dollar on it.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    32Doak wrote: »
    Pretty much done everything you could do.. except a gaming monitor, beats a tv every day.

Yeah I've got a little 21 or 22 inch monitor that I know would shave off a few milliseconds of latency but it's not ideal for my console setup.

I did a lot of tinkering with MTU settings, and sometimes the PS4's connection test will show a higher upload speed after I lower the MTU, but that test is hardly reliable and there's no noticeable in-game benefit.

For what it's worth, 90% of the time the connection status thing in NHL 20 shows all green bars, a steady 20-40ms ping, and no packet loss but it feels like my players are underwater, lol. And I've actually experienced the opposite too, where the graph is spiky and fluctuating between yellow and red with over 100ms ping but gameplay feels more responsive than usual. That's not frequent at all but it has happened a few times.

You're right though Sega, maybe there'll be improvement with the new gen of systems coming out. We shall see.

The game works like this offline too. One game is fast paced, the next slow and unresponsive. It's just a mess of a game.
  • Sega82mega
    4242 posts Member
    32Doak wrote: »

I can relate 100%. I dont give any trust to connection status, almost more at the other way, yellow bar = responsive, ever sence I started to play again (NHL15) I have struggel with this, almost drived me insane, but I have come to realize, I have done everything I can do, its out of my control, I need to accept it is what it is, and try to have fun anyway, even though it takes away alot of fun.