EA Forums - Banner

NHL on the new Gen?

Prev13
Sgt_Kelso
1325 posts Member
Instead of the old 'NHL X wishlist' discussion, I'd like gauge the expectations people have on the upcoming new Series X / PS5 generation? What would it mean for the NHL game franchise?

Obviously, the new systems will be much more powerful, and offer some interesting details, like the 'haptic' DS5 game pads, and I understand the xbox pads will be more responsive as well (haven't really followed what's going on with Microsoft consoles)... and load times will be drastically reduced, better graphics resolutions / textures will be possible etc.

But does more muscle actually mean much for the development of NHL? I'd like to hear what the devs think about the new gen in general, and what does it mean for the future of the NHL? Will there be engine upgrades, or does the new gen promise any other exciting possibilities? Will it be a leap forwards or just the more of the same?

Personally I have become a little disillusioned because of the current gen, the development of the game has seemed more like one step forwards and two steps back to me. Both on the gameplay and the game modes (introducing new modes and ignoring the old ones). What's in the future for NHL?

Replies

• bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    The convoluted, lazy cashgrab that is EA NHL has absolutely no future in my household. I'm gonna buy the ps5 and play other games instead and wait for another developer to make a real hockeygame. Even if ea manage to put out an nhl game on next gen it most likely will be a repeat of the last time's nhl 15 shady fiasko.

I have zero trust in the current dev team.
    Post edited by bryta47 on
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    Load times are going to be much better.

The biggest thing IMO, is that have probably gone as far as they can with the Ignite engine and need to switch to the Frostbite engine to be able to take full advantage of the next gen console. I am optimistic that it will happen this year, but my gut is telling that it won't.

The NHL series hasn't been on the new consoles at launch the last few iterations, it has always been the year after, or two years after for the XBOX One, NHL15 doesn't count. So again I am hopeful that it will be different this year especially if the release date is pushed back to closer to the next fen console release date, but I am not super confident it will happen.

I am looking forward to the graphics looking much better, things like the ice degrading over the course of a period would be nice. Improved player likeness would also be a big plus for the game.
  • Sega82mega
    3101 posts Member
    Yeah pretty much that everything will be a little bit better. Makes me dreamy.

PS5's controller will fit like a glove.
  • Follisimo
    1073 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    You won't hear anything from the devs til they are ready to release the information sadly. I personally don't think they will take advantage of the new system power and simply just port over the game. When was the last time the NHL team has ever been on par with a next-gen launch?

By default the solid state drives could make things load faster is all.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    I wasn't asking so much anything specific about future NHL games or their features, more like if the devs see anything exciting in the new gen tech that might be a gamechanger (njuk, njuk) for the NHL series too?

The way Sony has been going on about the next gen, it seems like it will open whole new possibilities, and really take games to the next level. Not just graphics either. That's marketing talk in part of course, but it looks like it's gonna be great gen.
  • RSall14
    602 posts Member
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I wasn't asking so much anything specific about future NHL games or their features, more like if the devs see anything exciting in the new gen tech that might be a gamechanger (njuk, njuk) for the NHL series too?

The way Sony has been going on about the next gen, it seems like it will open whole new possibilities, and really take games to the next level. Not just graphics either. That's marketing talk in part of course, but it looks like it's gonna be great gen.

We might be able to get through all 15 menus on the way to EASHL faster.
  • Follisimo
    1073 posts Member

As many devs and industry people have said about the SSD from Sony won't be fully utilized in 3rd party games because it would require more work. So unless Sony throwing some extra bling you probably won't see a difference

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Are you referring to the comments about multiplatform titles which are designed to work the same on any platform (well, more or less)? So that they can't utilize the 'amazing' Sony SSD because the other systems don't have it, and you have to design the games to account for that?

Because the Sony SSD works the same for everyone, there's nothing inherently stopping third party game companies from using it, other than the above, is there? And even if the game wasn't designed from the start to maximise that tech, the games still benefit from faster load times nevertheless. At least that's how I have understood it. And the PC will get similar solutions pretty soon I expect.

But it does seem that the SSD is most useful in 3D-games where you need to load huge amounts of data instantly. And that doesn't something that is very important for the current sports games. Well driving games certainly. Which probably means that NHL won't see any major improvements, except better graphics perhaps... so does it look like the next gen games will take a huge leap forwards while the sports games are stuck in the same rut?
  • untouchable_BF1
    1119 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    A lot more power comes a lot more expectations. Losing times should be great, graphics should be great, hopefully gameplay can come close to matching the previous listed items.
  • Follisimo
    1073 posts Member
    Are you referring to the comments about multiplatform titles which are designed to work the same on any platform (well, more or less)? So that they can't utilize the 'amazing' Sony SSD because the other systems don't have it, and you have to design the games to account for that?

Because the Sony SSD works the same for everyone, there's nothing inherently stopping third party game companies from using it, other than the above, is there? And even if the game wasn't designed from the start to maximise that tech, the games still benefit from faster load times nevertheless. At least that's how I have understood it. And the PC will get similar solutions pretty soon I expect.

But it does seem that the SSD is most useful in 3D-games where you need to load huge amounts of data instantly. And that doesn't something that is very important for the current sports games. Well driving games certainly. Which probably means that NHL won't see any major improvements, except better graphics perhaps... so does it look like the next gen games will take a huge leap forwards while the sports games are stuck in the same rut?

No no they are saying it would require them to essentially build 2 different versions of the game and most companies are not going to invest into that is what they were getting at. But just remember if the servers aren't great it still won't be loading much faster. Offline things like simming and such should see vast improvements.

• Would like EA to go back and look at what made the EASHL good on PS3 NHL 11 thru 13. Game has a small player base so they definitely need to cut back on the EASHL game modes. Get rid of 3v3 across all modes aka Drop in and Club Play, Remove Battle Royal. Get rid of this pond hockey garbage. Simply simplify the game modes. Go back to Drop In 6vs6 and Club 6vs 6. Bring back Drop In Lobbies not this random auto lobby. Allow us to create private rooms . Multiple Club Games at one time. Bring back EASHL Club League Selection . PROFESSIONAL for Serious Clubs and AHL for Semi Serious Clubs and CHL for Casual fun league. All teams can possibly play one another if a team cannot be found in you Club League. Just like years ago you had that. So is a Casual team faces a Serious team and loses they dont get a loss and game doesn't count as a ranked game. Get rid of weekly playoffs and go back to monthly. Bring back Custom Attributes for Serious Clubs and keep cutter builds for casual players. Let us build a guy to our style and not cap us. Custom Attributes gave us something to come back and keep playing the game for. I don't want to gear someone say custom attributes ruined the game. NBA 2k allows us to put attributes where we want and that games pro am is awesome. Its next gen let's get rid of this clip art logos for 1994 Apple Computers for our jerseys . Jerseys with textures would be great. How about face scanning every player in the NHL not just stars you have NHL guys that have been in the league for years without a face scan. That's unacceptable its 2020. Would like the game to have a complete engine over haul and stop pasting code on top of code . I shouldn't share a image from PS3 and have a buddy not realize it's not the 2019 version of the game. Pathetic how your graphics have been stagnant. Give me ability to face scan myself like 2k or NBA live.
  • A lot more power comes a lot more expectations. Losing times should be great, graphics should be great, hopefully gameplay can come close to matching the previous listed items.

Yeah. Would be nice to see the next NHL game on Next Gen consoles.
  • FIFA 21 on PC is gonna be the exact same as consoles so I'm a little worried we're gonna have another NHL 15 on our hands (despite them telling us not to worry).

3 months away from a normal launch and we haven't heard anything...
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    Just give up and play something else. This game series is dead.
  • Sega82mega
    3101 posts Member
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    FIFA 21 on PC is gonna be the exact same as consoles so I'm a little worried we're gonna have another NHL 15 on our hands (despite them telling us not to worry).

Mhm, for some reason I take that as a good sign.. Soon they drop the bomb.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    FIFA 21 on PC is gonna be the exact same as consoles so I'm a little worried we're gonna have another NHL 15 on our hands (despite them telling us not to worry).

Mhm, for some reason I take that as a good sign.. Soon they drop the bomb.
    Maybe. they could bring NHL back to PC too.
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    UFC4 won't be a next gen game, and they are even sure if it be backwards compatible to play on the new consoles.

Not a good sign for NHL 21 which is made in the same studio as UFC.

Add in the fact that the NHL series has never launched for new consoles the year the consoles launch. Even the debacle that was NHL15 was a whole year after the current gen consoles launched.

If they release NHL 21 in November or December, which is when it is going to be released, and at the same the new consoles launch, and it isn't on the new consoles, it will be disastrous for the NHL franchise.

I find it odd that with EA being one of if not the largest distributor around, that make so many questionable disicions with their games. Not launching UFC or Squadrons on next gen consoles is setting those games up for failure. Their insistence on pushing micro-transactions on all of their games, where the game community as a whole has told the industry they don't want micro-transactions.

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see them releasing NHL 21 on the next gen consoles.
  • Sega82mega
    3101 posts Member
    Maybe it dosent have to be that bad, I guess its two separate thing to do games by ps5 capacity or to the old one.. If it is a large adaptation, time might be a big factor whether or not its going to be good.

But Im just guessing here...
  • I'll most likely buy a PS5 regardless for Demon's Souls (would be a triple plat if I could read Japanese) but two of my main EASHL buddies won't be getting a new console if NHL isn't on it, which means I won't get the game either.

Would love to get some info soon <3
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    I will be getting the XSX when it comes out, and if NHL21 isn't available for the new console I probably won't be getting NHL21. I am not trying to sound threatening or anything just stating facts. I want to support the series I have played since '93. I know that if it isn't coming to the next gen consoles that it isn't EA Vancouver's fault, they are doing the best with what the are given, it's EA as a distributor that is holding the franchise back.