EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21 Update

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Looks like the update is out there, I only see the Finnish version on EA site, so won't quote it.

Anyways, looks like no new gen version (just upward compability), released in October?

EDIT: it's in the updates section on this forum...

First look in late August, is it a beta or a demo... something anways.

So if I buy the game, I can apparently play it on PS4 and/or PS5, but is there cross-platform compability between the two? So you can play together regardless which system you have (the same with xbox series)?
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    how to interpret 'first look', I dont know, if they meant a beta to the game, why not say so in that case..?

And no exact date more then october, so I guess themselves not completely sure when its ready for release.

But all in all im glad about the news, could have been much worse. Regarding the release.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Worse how exactly? Lol. I suppose they could have cancelled altogether...

Can't say I am surprised, but this franchise just keeps on disappointing.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Worse as in a december/Jan release. Feels like anything can happen with this year of corona..
  • I think I can safely say I’m skipping 21 if there’s no next-gen additions. I don’t see the AI making a big enough leap this year to warrant a purchase.

the same opinion

no next gen = no reason to buy

• IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    Well I was actually predicting November so this is good news I guess. I am expecting "first look" means a trailer,etc. With all the setbacks of Coronavirus - both to the development team, and to the league (and what those imply for the game) - I cannot imagine a beta will be available but I am happy to go 0 for 2 on my predictions :)
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    how to interpret 'first look', I dont know, if they meant a beta to the game, why not say so in that case..?

And no exact date more then october, so I guess themselves not completely sure when its ready for release.

But all in all im glad about the news, could have been much worse. Regarding the release.

I was wondering that as well, the way I read it is that we will be getting a reveal trailer at the end of August. They didn't mention anything in regards to a beta, so if there is one I am guessing it will happen in September.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Another thing they should clarify: do you have cross play with PS4 and PS5 players, or do they each use their own servers and separate games? Hope the former, because the playerbase is already very fragmented and small...
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    JTechGP wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

I was wondering that as well, the way I read it is that we will be getting a reveal trailer at the end of August. They didn't mention anything in regards to a beta, so if there is one I am guessing it will happen in September.

Yeah that must be right. First look in end of August.. Good idea to practice my patience..

Maybe they skip out beta this year, I have a feeling of that..
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Another thing they should clarify: do you have cross play with PS4 and PS5 players, or do they each use their own servers and separate games? Hope the former, because the playerbase is already very fragmented and small...

Yeah, that would be nice to know. The way they setup Madden and FIFA suggests they aren't doing cross generation play. Now that being said NHL not having a next gen version might make it different.

The other thing I have read, and not to get into the console war debate, but Sony has little interest in doing cross generation play, where as Microsoft is really pushing cross generation play. Again with EA if they can't do cross generation play on both, they probably won't do it on either.

Long story short I doubt there will be cross generation play, but I wait for the official word.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    I am more interested in cross PLATFORM play. I think it's more important to this franchise right now.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • JTechGP wrote: »

Yeah, that would be nice to know. The way they setup Madden and FIFA suggests they aren't doing cross generation play. Now that being said NHL not having a next gen version might make it different.

The other thing I have read, and not to get into the console war debate, but Sony has little interest in doing cross generation play, where as Microsoft is really pushing cross generation play. Again with EA if they can't do cross generation play on both, they probably won't do it on either.

Long story short I doubt there will be cross generation play, but I wait for the official word.

My understanding is that its not on the PS5, the PS5 allows you to play PS4 games because of backward compatibility but you are still playing the PS4 version since the PS5 version does not exist. Basically you are just using the PS5's platform to run the game instead of the PS4 so there would be no fragmentation of players or need for crossplay between PS4 and PS5. If the game came out for both then that would be a different story. Basically it's like having NHL on PC and then upgrading your PC to a better build. Still the same game.
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    JTechGP wrote: »

My understanding is that its not on the PS5, the PS5 allows you to play PS4 games because of backward compatibility but you are still playing the PS4 version since the PS5 version does not exist. Basically you are just using the PS5's platform to run the game instead of the PS4 so there would be no fragmentation of players or need for crossplay between PS4 and PS5. If the game came out for both then that would be a different story. Basically it's like having NHL on PC and then upgrading your PC to a better build. Still the same game.

That makes sense, as it isn't a cross generation game like Madden.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Yeah, it's reasonable an assumption, but it would be nice to get a confirmation on this point.
  • Cross-play it becoming the new staple of gaming, so it should be implemented. The competition would be greater and that would make it easier to make leagues.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

It's not going to be made on next gen. But it will be playable on the next gen console. Probably similar to the Xbox 360 built in emulator on the Xbox one. There will only be 1 ps4 version and 1 Xbox 1 version.

Doesn't matter what console, current or next.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

There is no PS5 version of the game so everyone will be playing the same game regardless if you're playing on PS4 or PS5.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes, I KNOW there is only one game for both platforms, but the platforms are different... that's why I asked the question. You're 101% sure it works that way?
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1539 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes, I KNOW there is only one game for both platforms, but the platforms are different... that's why I asked the question. You're 101% sure it works that way?

Why wouldn't it? The game is still connecting to the same servers regardless of ps4 or ps5.

You're question is like asking if we're sure 2 different PC's playing the same game could play against each other.

Yes, they can.
    Post edited by Z0mbieBabyJesus on
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member

Why wouldn't it? The game is still connecting to the same servers regardless of ps4 or ps4.

You're question is like asking if we're sure 2 different PC's playing the same game could play against each other.

Yes, they can.

I'm 1001% sure it works this way too. It's just 1 game.