EA Forums - Banner

AI Appreciation Post

Prev1345
Here’s some videos. Please try addressing some of these issues because it makes it really hard to enjoy the game with blunders such as these happening every game. The AI is nothing short of maddening to play with and against for different reasons.

Magic possession:

Faceoff yawn:

Great icing:

Popcorn popping, up in the stands:

Magic pass:

Replies

• Dude thank you! The Ai is way either a window licker or a king. I usually play grinder and I can kill big power forwards and what not. I go to hit the Ai defenseman he stumbles but bounces right back up if nothing happened. Ai also takes the puck off your stick with ease he backs up rips it off the stick. The Ai never loses the puck either or any battle . They say the game isn't scripted but I don't buy it. We will be on a 5-10 game winning streak one night next night we get on the Ai turns into the best player and wins team games. The Ai almost acts as a handicap for bad teams. Ai should just stay in position and that's it . It shouldn't be the deciding factor.
  • just2sweeeeeeet
    120 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Ease up with the forward, rewind and angle changes. That would make viewing your videos seem much less like hard work. Though I agree with the sentiment 100%.
    Post edited by just2sweeeeeeet on
  • Instead of getting mad, I’m just going to start documenting these scenarios when playing. Switched up my sliders back to game speed 3 as I think the game plays the best at that speed. Here’s another batch.

Please help me get the puck...please?

Phantom of the stick lift

Blueline Blues

USA Hockey Blue Pucks in Action!

• Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    Sorry to bother your understandable reasons to hate on the AI, but I have to ask, is it overhead? Your camera.

'like' is all I need if it is so... :)
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Sorry to bother your understandable reasons to hate on the AI, but I have to ask, is it overhead? Your camera.

'like' is all I need if it is so... :)

I use “dynamic high” I’m pretty sure. Overhead was too high for me as I wanted to see my jerseys I created from a closer perspective. Dynamic medium doesn’t allow you to see your defensemen so that was too low.

You know what I’ve noticed playing this game (and it’s blatantly obvious) is that the AI is abysmal at screening the goalie. Great article I read on the athletic yesterday with Steve Valiquette (former NHL goalie who now owns a data company that specializes in providing useful data about hockey goalies) was talking about how little goalies are scored on from unscreened shots from even widely-agreed upon “high danger” areas. 7%, yes you read that right, 7% of on-net shots from the “home plate” last season beat a goalie without a screen. High-to-low opportunities were the highest amount of goals that went in (think Carlson to Ovi on the caps) where the goalie is probably 1. Fighting through a screen On the original angle plus turning their head and re-finding the puck at the new angle and 2. Needs to respect a high shot which requires him to have a high depth 3. Along with needing to pivot, drive, and open his legs in-order to make the save.

Now, with the correct sliders you actually see some great representations of screens causing goals, I don’t doubt that the screen effect works. The problems I see are 1. Goalies don’t play screens realistically enough (meaning they seem to be completely screened and do that stupid paddle-down animation, causing them to stay off-angle for way too long) leading to more “all-or-nothing” screen effects 2. Don’t automatically drop into right butterfly animations as soon as a shot is taken, which leads to unnecessary holes and openings in scenarios where real goalies would seal everything and hope it hits them, and 3. AI players do not seem to prioritize taking away the goalie’s vision. Again, no matter your strategy, if the puck is high, there needs to be a screener. That’s just hockey 101.

Now there’s many factors that go into goalies making saves, but the fact of the matter is, even a partial screen drastically increases the chances of scoring. Even a “home plate” shot isn’t necessarily lethal unless the right player is provided the chance (Eichel was the league’s best non-screened goal scorer last season, Matthews scored 7 of his 41 for reference...also make note of that, 41 unscreened slot shots in an 82-game season) and I don’t think the game needs to be longer in-order to promote a better, more realistic meta. This means forcing users to use the “zero-touch toedrag” in-order to use the dman as a screen, or passing the puck laterally where it’s not necessarily getting forced through people, but it is making the goalie track the puck through bodies which delays their ability to effectively react to the puck (especially on one-timers, this is why ovi is so dang good at scoring). I know the game already does these things, it’s a matter of making the goalie play a tad more realistic and teaching users how to shoot/pass for the most success. This would bring a realistic and noticeable skill gap to the offensive side of the game.
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Hehe im glad I ask you that simpel question, it was a way in to very intresting information.

Im not surprise about Eichel, hes lethal out there, the gaze, quick mind, combine with a very good release. Like he's swag on the ice, make everything else seems very slow.

And Yes, today its really hard to get a goal that actually was ment to be a shot for a direct goal. Often you throw a puck on net and see what comes out of that. (unfortunately 'no' one like to do that online) and a problem I got with the screen, my AI is often behind my own speed/thought so I has to wait in the offensive zone for him(AI) to catch up, and thats often ends up hes AI getting the puck. So if I want the game to flow I need to take unscreean shots with often is a easy save. There's something about the speed that just make everything bad.

Are you in the play off with your offline season now? I saw a really nice play that lead to a goal on your twitter. Good play! ;)

(Steve Valiquette should come work with us, in the gaming world)
    Hehe im glad I ask you that simpel question, it was a way in to very intresting information.

Im not surprise about Eichel, hes lethal out there, the gaze, quick mind, combine with a very good release. Like he's swag on the ice, make everything else seems very slow.

And Yes, today its really hard to get a goal that actually was ment to be a shot for a direct goal. Often you throw a puck on net and see what comes out of that. (unfortunately 'no' one like to do that online) and a problem I got with the screen, my AI is often behind my own speed/thought so I has to wait in the offensive zone for him(AI) to catch up, and thats often ends up hes AI getting the puck. So if I want the game to flow I need to take unscreean shots with often is a easy save. There's something about the speed that just make everything bad.

Are you in the play off with your offline season now? I saw a really nice play that lead to a goal on your twitter. Good play! ;)

(Steve Valiquette should come work with us, in the gaming world)

Yeah, the AI don’t prioritize screening the goalie which makes a lot of shots rather poor scoring opportunities. Then the casuals complain they can’t snipe every shot, goalies gotta get sniped, and boom we’re right back where we started years ago.

And yes, I’m still in the round of 32. Played 14 of 16 game 2’s. Also had a delay to revamp my sliders as game speed 2 became way too easy simply due to poor goaltending at that game speed. This round will take a bit, but It’ll get faster eventually haha!

I post more clips and stuff on Instagram @evhl_official if you want more!
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    Yeah, to bad "everyone" want it to be easy, were is the fun in that.

I will follow your road to the top!
    Yeah, to bad "everyone" want it to be easy, were is the fun in that.

I will follow your road to the top!

Honestly don’t know but it seems to be a common theme in EA Sports games. Highlight real goals, some sprinkled in realism, a lot of inconsistency, and very hit or miss game experience because of all these factors.
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    I wish it has nothing to do with sales number to a younger audience - at the cost of real hockey.. Dont know.
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    edited July 2020

4 against 1..AI awareness need to be better, I know why this happen, because my RD is nr64, thats way behind,(he's guy score) but one of the other AI players need to 'aware' the only threat in this 4vs1-2 situation.

Edit: 3 AI only concentrated on puck carrier.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on

4 against 1..AI awareness need to be better, I know why this happen, because my RD is nr64, thats way behind,(he's guy score) but one of the other AI players need to 'aware' the only threat in this 4vs1-2 situation.

Edit: 3 AI only concentrated on puck carrier.

Super annoying that a simple outside escape turns a 2-on-4 into a goal. I’ve been taking videos for this thread as well and have been meaning to post them! I’ll get to that haha.
  • Another thing what I miss from the AI to do that would really help. When you are about to start a play from your own zone with a D-man, all the forwards is turned up, away from the puck carrier. Would help alot if you at least could decide in your own teams strategy that one FW has hes frontside against the D thats about to go forward. Would open up for more options in the central zone.
  • EA: ThAtS HoW iTs SuPpOsED tO wOrK
  • [quote="RNM58820755;c-2145483"]EA: ThAtS HoW iTs SuPpOsED tO wOrK[/quote]

We didnt mess up and its not a bug. ITS A
    [b][i]F E A T U R E [/i][/b]
  • Can someone make a montage of AI shootout "attempts"
    Another thing what I miss from the AI to do that would really help. When you are about to start a play from your own zone with a D-man, all the forwards is turned up, away from the puck carrier. Would help alot if you at least could decide in your own teams strategy that one FW has hes frontside against the D thats about to go forward. Would open up for more options in the central zone.

We need way more strategy options in this game. The AI doesn’t do anything dynamically well at all, so we really need more static strategy adjustments.
  • Yea it hit me when I was watching MTL-PIT, forwards often turn there backs in central zone to be more open for a pass from the D, and to have better controll of the puck if they get it.

But yes please, much more strategy that really makes apparent difference. I dont directly feel any big difference regardless how im set to play. Not as much as I would like, anyway.
  • Are these games on Superstar difficulty? I used to notice A LOT of this stuff on Superstar.

In FIFA when playing on easy the CPU just makes bad decisions, bad passes etc... As you increase the difficulty they make better decisions and also have better skill on the sticks.

NHL on the other hand every difficulty plays the same. From Rookie to Superstar, the more you raise the difficulty, the CPU just gets more superhuman and cheats meanwhile your AI teammates get dumbed down.
  • Are these games on Superstar difficulty? I used to notice A LOT of this stuff on Superstar.

In FIFA when playing on easy the CPU just makes bad decisions, bad passes etc... As you increase the difficulty they make better decisions and also have better skill on the sticks.

NHL on the other hand every difficulty plays the same. From Rookie to Superstar, the more you raise the difficulty, the CPU just gets more superhuman and cheats meanwhile your AI teammates get dumbed down.

My games are all on All-Star because it hats apparently the skill level where neither team gets a boost. I used to play on Superstar in 18 but the CPU cheating was just absurd. Can still win, but it just wasn’t fun to play.