EA Forums - Banner

AI Appreciation Post

Replies

• I take it these are HUT games? For whatever reason I always thought playing Superstar was easier than All-Star.
  • I take it these are HUT games? For whatever reason I always thought playing Superstar was easier than All-Star.

Idk about mega, but my games are all offline playoff mode with custom teams on heavily modified all-star. CPU is just wildly aggressive to a fault on SuperStar.
  • I think Its just the speed of how fast they react/skate that separate in the different modes you play.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I think Its just the speed of how fast they react/skate that separate in the different modes you play.

You're probably right. I think CPU input is the same no matter the difficulty but the increased speed/accel/agility/strength + 0 input lag is what makes it unrealistic.

I cant count how many times a single CPU player vs 2-3 of my teammates where the CPU would win the puck battle (as seen in one of the clips above).
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I think Its just the speed of how fast they react/skate that separate in the different modes you play.

You're probably right. I think CPU input is the same no matter the difficulty but the increased speed/accel/agility/strength + 0 input lag is what makes it unrealistic.

I cant count how many times a single CPU player vs 2-3 of my teammates where the CPU would win the puck battle (as seen in one of the clips above).

Yep, that was on all-star but it was brutal watching. It’s be nice if your AI wanted the puck as much as your opponent AI did. I’m not seeing where both sets of AI are “the same” but what do I know?
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Welp... I've done it. Watch this:

Pay attention to the AI players #13 and then #6 of the Philadelphia Flyers. This is why I can't play this game. Your teammates are supposed to take up their positions. Why are they just chasing shadows and allow this? This isn't OP AI, this is the dumbest, poorest, horrifying AI coding I've seen in my life since Aliens Colonial Marines from Sega.

Yikes!!!
  • PlayoffError
    309 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Pay attention to the AI players #13 and then #6 of the Philadelphia Flyers. This is why I can't play this game. Your teammates are supposed to take up their positions. Why are they just chasing shadows and allow this? This isn't OP AI, this is the dumbest, poorest, horrifying AI coding I've seen in my life since Aliens Colonial Marines from Sega.

Yikes!!!

No, see, you were "out of position" and the AI was just trying to "cover for you". If you play properly in you end the AI positioning is perfect and they only run around if YOU play wrong.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

And people complain the AI is overpowered....
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yikes!!!

No, see, you were "out of position" and the AI was just trying to "cover for you". If you play properly in you end the AI positioning is perfect and they only run around if YOU play wrong.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

And people complain the AI is overpowered....

The funny part is: I'm the guy with the puck making the AI look like 2yr olds by just standing in place and passing the puck.

But hey! I only complain because I don't know how to play and I lose all the time, right? :trollface:
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    @VeNOM2099

Traditional question: wHaT sTrAtEgIeS were you using????
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    @VeNOM2099

This game has strategies your AI follows? When did this happen? LOL

I don't bother with them. I just use whatever defaults the team has and I improvise. I look for open areas and HOPE that my AI teammates are basic enough to find them.

95% of the time they're just as pathetic as the Defensive and Goaltending AI. Then at some point, like in that clip, they get a stroke of intelligence and actually move into their correct spots.
    @VeNOM2099

I don't bother with them. I just use whatever defaults the team has and I improvise. I look for open areas and HOPE that my AI teammates are basic enough to find them.

95% of the time they're just as pathetic as the Defensive and Goaltending AI. Then at some point, like in that clip, they get a stroke of intelligence and actually move into their correct spots.

I set my strategies to "Don't be a moron and skate aimlessly leaving yourself out of position while hoping, one day, the AI will make typical, standard, everyday hockey plays like setting up for give and go's, overlaps, trailing the play"...

For some reason I always get the opposite...weird
    @VeNOM2099

I like when I’m running “full attack” with a full forecheck full pinch tendency in the last minute when trying to tie a game, and I see 3 of my 6 players back literally out of the zone because there’s a loose puck. To this point, I don’t care who has possession, if I’m running “full attack” that should mean we are forechecking and pinching to a fault.

It would be nice to have strategies that are actually followed all of the time, not some of the time, because that would remove a ton of frustration. Pretty simple imo.
  • JARABBITZ wrote: »
    Can someone make a montage of AI shootout "attempts"

The ai should suck in shootouts imo.

No! No, no, no, no, NOOOO!!!

Why do people insist on wanting to make the AI even weaker than it already is? Don't you people want a challenge? I am SICK and tired of the AI bots doing the same "nothing" move and running into the goalies over and over again on the shootout. Even on Superstar difficulty!

If you people don't want to play with competent AI and have a challenge, play Ones. The only AI you have to deal with is the sieve of a goalie. Have fun!
  • IceLion68
    1238 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    JARABBITZ wrote: »

As someone who now plays 3 v 3 in club exclusively, (with an AI winger) this made me ACTUALLY laugh out loud.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

Yikes!!!
    I like how 61 also shuffles in to leave TWO guys in the slot alone.

Better than the approximately 0-5% they currently have would be ok tho right?
  • Sega82mega
    3283 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yikes!!!

Ye, Its like they act as #6 got the puck..

collapsing infront of the net and just keep thoose twirlers on the outside has never been as easy as it should be.

And way to puck focus, 3 players down in the left corner, Its not there you score goals.

John Tortorella should have a talk with the AI defenders.

I think the BAP guys would like to have a word with you lol...as fun as 16 round shootouts are watching the AI run into the goalie over and over again, I think they could use a little (major) buff on shootouts.

If they actually removed all the super-boost stuff from the AI, people wouldn’t mind the AI being realistically good imo.

I think the BAP guys would like to have a word with you lol...as fun as 16 round shootouts are watching the AI run into the goalie over and over again, I think they could use a little (major) buff on shootouts.

If they actually removed all the super-boost stuff from the AI, people wouldn’t mind the AI being realistically good imo.

That's all we've ever wanted