EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Why does every other EA tilte have online franchise

This has been a huge let down of not having for so long I want to create a league of people playing with their favorite teams to win a cup.

Why can't you just take offline franchise and make it 32 human controlled. Atleast something would be nice, NHL series is the only title that doesn't have franchises smh. How about instead of adding circus or fortnite clothing we get connected franchise.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    1249 posts Member
    edited July 31
    Yes agree, it would definitely add some sugar to the online pie.

Hopefully they are planning something like that for the future. It's a must have!
  • PigSkinRodeo
    35 posts Member
    edited July 31
    @obanation you think exactly like me, I've been saying the same thing for a long time. Most people would be happy taking offline and making a few small tweaks to it and make it 31 ( 32 once the Kracken is added in ) user controlled if need be. A lot of people want to take their favorite team and work towards wining the cup against other users. Honestly if you win the cup in your online franchise you should have a Banner Ceremony your first game and should stay in the rafters for the entire franchise. I honestly wish I worked at EA to help create a fun online Franchise, cause I purely love the game of hockey.
  • At least have some kind of playoff tree. The closest I ever got was when they had this cup games once in a month. You had 2 attempts to win 4 games in a row to win rookie to elite cup. I loved that type of competition. Do or die.
  • Been saying this forever. Online season mode. Real NHL teams. Play a season and playoffs. Why is this so hard ? Probably because it would take business away from HUT.
  • EA_Aljo
    1460 posts EA Community Manager
    edited August 6
    smyth9779 wrote: »
    Been saying this forever. Online season mode. Real NHL teams. Play a season and playoffs. Why is this so hard ? Probably because it would take business away from HUT.

That's definitely not the case. There currently are about a dozen modes in the game. Only one, HUT, has a way to spend anything extra. If we were focused on microtransactions, they'd be in the other modes as well. NHL doesn't have this Online Franchise currently because it had a very small population of players when it was in the game. The dev team has been focusing on more popular requests from the community. That has mostly been gameplay, but obviously new modes have been introduced. We'll just have to see what the future holds.
  • @EA_Aljo well I would say game play is a very important part of the process so I can appreciate that for sure. All I'm saying is if I had the option to play online seasons with my favorite team in a competitive format I wouldn't waste my time with HUT. I only continue to play HUT because at least you get rewarded by ranking up divisions and other things..when you play online versus you have no reward other than a win or a loss. So it gets boring rather quickly.
  • EA_Aljo
    1460 posts EA Community Manager
    @EA_Aljo well I would say game play is a very important part of the process so I can appreciate that for sure. All I'm saying is if I had the option to play online seasons with my favorite team in a competitive format I wouldn't waste my time with HUT. I only continue to play HUT because at least you get rewarded by ranking up divisions and other things..when you play online versus you have no reward other than a win or a loss. So it gets boring rather quickly.

That's understandable. I know not everyone likes to play just to play. Earning something and progressing can make playing a lot more fun. Hopefully, we'll have an online franchise mode in the future. Should we have some news, we'll make an announcement.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Been saying this forever. Online season mode. Real NHL teams. Play a season and playoffs. Why is this so hard ? Probably because it would take business away from HUT.

That's definitely not the case. There currently are about a dozen modes in the game. Only one, HUT, has a way to spend anything extra. If we were focused on microtransactions, they'd be in the other modes as well. NHL doesn't have this Online Franchise currently because it had a very small population of players when it was in the game. The dev team has been focusing on more popular requests from the community. That has mostly been gameplay, but obviously new modes have been introduced. We'll just have to see what the future holds.

What are you basing any of this on? I dont recall anything about online franchise in any of the surveys sent out. Is it being based off the usage of the last online franchise, which was incredibly broken and took forever to advance week to week? Where players would routinely disappear off rosters and people eventually just got fed up wasting 10's of hours on a mode with 30 minute advance times just to have your franchise player vanish entirely.

What gameplay changes have they been focusing on? Game plays the exact same way as it did 8 years ago. The AI plays the same, the same cheesy goals still go in. Theres a reason I used to know 20 people that played this and now I know 1, and it sure as heck isnt because dev's have been focusing on gameplay.

I just realised you said it didnt have franchise mode because the "small population" ...but correct me if I'm wrong , wouldn't franchise mode work just like HUT as far as being matched up against other players online ?? HUT has been around for a long time, so I'm not understanding that reasoning.
    NHL doesn't have this Online Franchise currently because it had a very small population of players when it was in the game.

Do you happen to recall GM Connected?

It took AGES to transition between menus.

The App released for IOS was the slowest most cumbersome app ever released on an iPhone.

Both problems point towards a lack of infrastructure that was unable to keep up with the demand, thus resulting in people avoiding the mode altogether.

So - although you may be technically correct about it having a 'small population' - the reason for the small population was an inability to handle a large one.

The dev team has been focusing on more popular requests from the community.

The term "GM Connected" or "GMC" is literally found in the replies of every single tweet ever tweeted by the official EA Sports NHL twitter account since it was removed from the game.

Yet - the focus has been on making 'chel' some kind of weird Fortnite thing with emotes and customizations.

• HEY fellow GMC wanting peeps..and ea devs reading this. I, like many of gmc connected fans have been, and missing this mode for years..ever since it was crushingly taken away from us.I have LONG believed that it is about money,i have read that your reply was that was untrue, and not the case....but lets say you COULD make money from GMC connected..think of the promotions you could sell..the tournaments that would be watched from every twitch or viewing platform.the SEEDS of the gmc players could be the future of ea nhl TOURNEYS participants,you could charge entry into elite leagues..charge 30 cents to make a trade in a League...i'm just spit balling here..but the possibilities are ENDLESS..help us help you..make our GMC connected mode a reality!...CAMON EA..we/YOU can make GMC happen!
  • @MRcanucks420 totally would be a real game changer. At least for me anyway.. what's better than playing a game of NHL with your favorite team and trying to grind your way to the playoffs and win the cup??? Nothing.
  • Hehe good pep talk canucks and I agree. Would be lovely weekend excitement, some beers and a hockey tourney with your favorite team, dosent takes more to be on top of life! 😇
  • obanation wrote: »
    This has been a huge let down of not having for so long I want to create a league of people playing with their favorite teams to win a cup.

Why can't you just take offline franchise and make it 32 human controlled. Atleast something would be nice, NHL series is the only title that doesn't have franchises smh. How about instead of adding circus or fortnite clothing we get connected franchise.

Because they sell more copies on day one than nhl does the full year. Also bigger development teams.
  • Let’s go EA. It’s been long enough... Let’s make a hockey game not a sideshow. We want customization in player and goalie gear. You give us.... Hockey bags and snowsuits. We want GMC mode you give us.... Snoop Dog and 2s or 3s or 1s whatever. Can we stop the gimmicks and make the mode that should be the cornerstone of the franchise. I agree hockey doesn’t sell as well as the other titles. But just start it. Put it out and work on it. Like you started to do years ago.
  • FIFA doesn’t. I really think online leagues need their own game mode and approach, much like MLB TS did this year. Not going to lie, I don’t want just “online franchise” because naturally, there’s too many CPU teams and too many games for my small group of friends that play NHL. An online league that’s in-between their old “online leagues” mode and “GM Connected” would be a perfect middle ground. We need flexible league sizes, rosters, sliders, and number of games at the minimum for me to want it back. I think simply adding in online franchise is almost lazy in a sense because I’m guessing not a ton of people have 30-31 other friends to play with nor do they al want to play 82 game seasons. I personally value the competition between another human if I’m going to play in an “online” mode so no amount of CPU teams is acceptable to me.

Lastly, it’s laughable that “tournament mode” and “playoff mode” and “ones” and threes eliminator” are considered to be these grand modes when they all are half-bakes modes designed to simply be another notch in the “number of modes” claim. I mean, playoff mode doesn’t even have edit line, edit strategies, edit player, edit jersey numbers, nor can you turn retired numbers off which means Gretzky rocks 97 lol...Also I’d like to reduce rate showtime’s comment about there not a single post you can find without multiple mentions of bringing back an online franchise/league/GM mode to the game. Between roster sharing and GM connected, I have seen infinitely more posts involving those than anything along the lines of “I want to play a worse version of NHL Hitz” or “NHL free-4-all” or “id like to play the European champions hockey league and I’d be totally okay with not being able to substitute my own favorite team in the mode” or “I want to play that one super old tournament of random European teams and some weird team canada team!” on any of these posts.

Welp, maybe next generation...