EA Forums - Banner

Any hope for NHL 21???

2Next

Replies

• Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Tonysl79 wrote: »
    I’ve only been disappointed with this franchise for years. I’m really hoping nhl 22 developed for the new consoles will step up and live up to the standards ea use to have.

I don't think it's going to happen unless they change their dev production cycle. 7-9 months is not enough time to make a brand new game. That's why every game feels the same. Even CoD rotates between 2-3 studios each year. And THOSE still can feel similar if it wasn't for the drastic changes in settings and time periods between them.

And yet they charge us $60+ every year for fewer and worse features each year. I think fan's would rather pay for a new game every 3-4 years and pay for upgrades/add-on's between the cycles. They could really do a number with CHEL and hosting leagues, build up the online world instead of treating this as a AAA game each year, which it clearly is not.

I dont get this either because they could make it like a live service game with cosmetics if people wanna buy, arenas, lights, goal horns all kinds of stuff thats infinitely able to be added to. Id think just charge for the upgrade every 3 years and in between, make the money off mtx. Id be ok with that if we actually got something of quality. Wouldn't they stand to make WAY more money this way?

What if they do a FULL redesign of the game to start out the new console generation, and then just keep building on it until the end of that generation? Charge a fee every new season to keep adding on and updating the game. Do free regular updates along the way for rosters and game-play improvements in between time.
  • IceLion68
    810 posts Member
    edited September 1
    I’ve only been disappointed with this franchise for years. I’m really hoping nhl 22 developed for the new consoles will step up and live up to the standards ea use to have.

I don't think it's going to happen unless they change their dev production cycle. 7-9 months is not enough time to make a brand new game. That's why every game feels the same. Even CoD rotates between 2-3 studios each year. And THOSE still can feel similar if it wasn't for the drastic changes in settings and time periods between them.

And yet they charge us $60+ every year for fewer and worse features each year. I think fan's would rather pay for a new game every 3-4 years and pay for upgrades/add-on's between the cycles. They could really do a number with CHEL and hosting leagues, build up the online world instead of treating this as a AAA game each year, which it clearly is not.

I don't disagree but unfortunately, while they are trying to develop, and market this as a AAA game, for NHL (and any other sports titles not named "FIFA") the numbers just aren't there compared to AAA franchises to allow them to do this. People don't realize just how few units they move on this franchise, compared to other EA sports titles even.
    (VG Sales Data)

Even if they release every 2 years they are literally cutting their revenue stream in half. I don't think anything they could do to generate revenue in the interim (HUT packs, roster updates? cosmetics) could make up for that shortfall.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

I dont get this either because they could make it like a live service game with cosmetics if people wanna buy, arenas, lights, goal horns all kinds of stuff thats infinitely able to be added to. Id think just charge for the upgrade every 3 years and in between, make the money off mtx. Id be ok with that if we actually got something of quality. Wouldn't they stand to make WAY more money this way?

What if they do a FULL redesign of the game to start out the new console generation, and then just keep building on it until the end of that generation? Charge a fee every new season to keep adding on and updating the game. Do free regular updates along the way for rosters and game-play improvements in between time.

Yup this is what i would like to see. The yearly model worked years ago but the tech has come too far to justify charging full price for what little is able to be worked on each year. Thats why this game feels so stale. Decade old engine and a yearly release that prob only gives them a solid what 8 to 9 months of ACTUAL dev time for a new game. Honestly its rather sickening to think about. Theres companies that spend an entire console gen making ONE game and its 60 bucks. Ea makes a yearly patch and charges 60 bucks.
  • Not enough people care about NHL to review bomb like that
  • djb5f wrote: »
    Not enough people care about NHL to review bomb like that

EA doesn't care about reviews or opinions anyway. If you want change you have to speak the only language they know and don't buy the game or hut packs then hope they don't just shut the franchise down.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    djb5f wrote: »

EA doesn't care about reviews or opinions anyway. If you want change you have to speak the only language they know and don't buy the game or hut packs then hope they don't just shut the franchise down.

The only way that works is if we could get enough people organized to boycott it. Itll never happen though cus if we wanna play hockey, we have zero other option and ea as a company knows this and uses it against us. They know they can phone their games in every year and people will buy cus its the only option.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

I don't disagree but unfortunately, while they are trying to develop, and market this as a AAA game, for NHL (and any other sports titles not named "FIFA") the numbers just aren't there compared to AAA franchises to allow them to do this. People don't realize just how few units they move on this franchise, compared to other EA sports titles even.
    (VG Sales Data)

Even if they release every 2 years they are literally cutting their revenue stream in half. I don't think anything they could do to generate revenue in the interim (HUT packs, roster updates? cosmetics) could make up for that shortfall.

I think they're missing a huge option in the CHEL world. It should be a separate game, but they really need to embrace it and market it. It's a fantastic 12 player game. They could easily have a subscription based game, or season pass, or whatever. Improve the experience overall for the online crowd...showcase the good players/teams. Host online leagues with web pages, states, draft tools, practice tools. Allow custom jerseys, goalie helmets, stadiums, logos, you name it. Give us customizeable replays that leagues could post on their sites...all external leagues (LG, XBS, etc) could have a tie in for stats. Things that one time purchases and subscriptions could generate money through.

Build it, and they will come...
  • IceLion68
    810 posts Member
    edited September 1
    I believe in voting with your wallet... normally... sadly however I am not entirely sure the EA NHL franchise would survive if it's sales were to actually plummet.

But by all means, vote with your wallet (really). As a consumer it's really the only power we have. Though in this case it might be dangerous game.

Anyways, what I have a real problem with is the #NHLDropEA thing on twitter.

Some real talk kids. NHL is already the red headed step child of EA Sports. NO COMPANY in their right mind is going to pick up the NHL licensing to make another NHL hockey game. Please refer to my sales link above. It seems they are barely hanging on.

If EA stops making NHL, you will have NOTHING to play.
    jrago73 wrote: »
    djb5f wrote: »

The only way that works is if we could get enough people organized to boycott it. Itll never happen though cus if we wanna play hockey, we have zero other option and ea as a company knows this and uses it against us. They know they can phone their games in every year and people will buy cus its the only option.

Technically, if everybody decided NOT to buy the new game and just keep playing the current or older ones that would send a message to EA. I'm not sure how many years back they keep servers online for, but that's an option as long as they don't go full 🎃🎃🎃🎃 on their community.

The problem there is that there are way too many "chel bruh" folks out there streaming the game and spending hella cash on it to make that statement. The game won't change for the better unless everybody puts their foot down.
  • NHL 20 was the last game for my friends and I. Our club had a long run since the beginning, but it’s just to not fun anymore. It hasn’t been in a long time, so it’s just insanity spending money on something that only gets worse. Nothing ever gets fixed for the better, they just throw more cosmetics at you to try and distract you from actual poorly programmed gameplay. If they can’t improve the game when their studios were open, no way in Halifax they’re going to make and improvements worth $60 “working” from home.
  • megamega77 wrote: »
    NHL 20 was the last game for my friends and I. Our club had a long run since the beginning, but it’s just to not fun anymore. It hasn’t been in a long time, so it’s just insanity spending money on something that only gets worse. Nothing ever gets fixed for the better, they just throw more cosmetics at you to try and distract you from actual poorly programmed gameplay. If they can’t improve the game when their studios were open, no way in Halifax they’re going to make and improvements worth $60 “working” from home.
    My hometown!