EA Forums - Banner

What exactly is different ?

Just played 3 games, didn’t see anything different, if I didn’t know I was playing nhl21, I would have thought it was 20.

Same thing, goalies are terrible, non existent side to side movement, people continue to corner spinning glitch to pass out for a one timer. The same spam stick poke and the R2 abuse while skating all around offensive zone without slowing and impossible to hit, the twitching of the players to make AI confused.

I have seen nothing today that has me excited about this game.

Also, on a penalty shot, can you please change the camera angle, once the player is too close to the goalie, you cannot see the puck position. The camera need to lift more...

Replies

• NEWFIEEE wrote: »
    Just played 3 games, didn’t see anything different, if I didn’t know I was playing nhl21, I would have thought it was 20.

Same thing, goalies are terrible, non existent side to side movement, people continue to corner spinning glitch to pass out for a one timer. The same spam stick poke and the R2 abuse while skating all around offensive zone without slowing and impossible to hit, the twitching of the players to make AI confused.

Also, on a penalty shot, can you please change the camera angle, once the player is too close to the goalie, you cannot see the puck position. The camera need to lift more...

I concur with everything here. Before I completely dog on this game, I want to try 6s first.

Question though, does it seem like they sped up the game. Like 3's 20 is like a 7 but this one is a 10? I felt like I was constantly zooming around.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    NEWFIEEE wrote: »

I concur with everything here. Before I completely dog on this game, I want to try 6s first.

Question though, does it seem like they sped up the game. Like 3's 20 is like a 7 but this one is a 10? I felt like I was constantly zooming around.

Agreed that EASHL 3's seems much faster. A good trade off is I haven't missed the lungs trait the keeps stamina up. Been fine without it. Plus, they've basically removed cut scenes after goals and periods which is awesome. No one needs to watch the same 3-4 goals everyone scores on replay, ever again.
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    NEWFIEEE wrote: »

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that description. There are a few new animations here and there. But the same underlying EA "hockey" engine permeates everything. And before anyone starts with the "you complain because you lose" angle, I went 5-1-2 in VS. and 1-1-1 in Clubs, with a 0.847 sv% in nets.

In VS. I won 3 out of 4 games with Ottawa... In each of my 1st two games, I scored FIVE goals with the Senators. If I can score FIVE goals with the Ottawa Senators, there's something very WRONG with your game. The other 3 games I never finished because I couldn't stomach this game anymore. If this is the settings the game will have when it releases... Congratulations on ruining the slim hope anyone had for this game.

As for EASHL Clubs, the most enjoyable game I had was my 1st game, which we lost 1-2 in OT. The second game we won 9-4. And the third game everyone on my team backed out because Teal was busy playing as a Forward and allowed 10 breakaways in the first period. Why was he playing forward? Oh, I don't know... Maybe because EA allows defense to use Forward loadouts... Just a guess. 5'7" LD with a Sniper build. Awesome job, EA!!!

Add in the stupidity that was plastering your Gamertag all over the screen to "prevent" people from posting pictures or clips of the game.

Yeah...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    In VS. I won 3 out of 4 games with Ottawa... In each of my 1st two games, I scored FIVE goals with the Senators. If I can score FIVE goals with the Ottawa Senators, there's something very WRONG with your game.

No. EA finally sees Ottawa's potential. This is accurate.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    In VS. I won 3 out of 4 games with Ottawa... In each of my 1st two games, I scored FIVE goals with the Senators. If I can score FIVE goals with the Ottawa Senators, there's something very WRONG with your game.

No. EA finally sees Ottawa's potential. This is accurate.

It's still the same rosters as in NHL 20. What were Ottawa's overalls? Like 83 OFF, 80 DEF and 78 G? LOL!

Duclair's a beast when you set him up for one timers. But I scored a forehand, backhand deke goal with Jayce Hawryluk twice... In one game. It's too easy.

Too easy to score. Game is much too fast (it's like HUT with 99 speed players now in every mode it seems). Remember the "smarter" AI defenders and goalies? They don't exist.

AI now allow attackers to just blow by them without even an attempt to slow them down, even if the puck is 2 inches away. That's gonna be the new META in NHL 21: take your fastest skater and blow by the Defender who'll just allow them to get around and go on a breakaway. Games are just rush fests. Even worse than before. You know how the AI would mark their man in front of the net for a few seconds in NHL 20 and then they'd turn around the skate into the corner, leaving a wide open one-timer? Now they don't even bother doing that, they just skip the formalities and just don't play their position AT ALL. Goalies still favoring the short side and leaving FAR too much net open. Every goal you see them completely out of position. They still can't control a rebound: shoot on the left side, they'll kick out a pad and put the puck to the right, right in front of the net where, you guessed it, an opposing player is sitting there all alone waiting for the puck... Like the game KNOWS where the puck will be.

I wish I had better things to say. They did improve on some things. But the core game underneath it all? It's still EA. Not hockey.
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    There are 2 new goalie save animations that they added that is totally broken. Goalie goes into this super slow animation leaving 5hole wide open while kicking out his leg and attaching it to the blocker side post. It looks like those animations you get on tipped shots where goalie opens his 5hole on purpose to allow the goal...but now does it even on the most basic unscreened shot to that side now. Cant even clip it to show what I am talking about bc it wont let you record.

Every goalie that played a few games should know what I am talking about, happens multiple times a game. Teams already starting to shoot low to the side too to trigger that glitched "save" animation that results in auto goal.
  • Haven’t played much but I’ve really only seen gameplay improvement in the new chip deke, skating styles, maybe shooting. Menus are insanely fast, especially club customization.

Goalies are still pretty bad from what I have seen and the defensive tools (including hitting) is still broken.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Biggest changes for me - more options to attack. Smoother puck pick ups. Better puck and body physics. Skating and shooting feels more responsive. AI is in better position which gives you more options to move around the puck. LT'ing isn't that of a problem and rag the puck seem harder. Poke checks knock loose the puck(more now then before), easier to play position as a D. Few improvements I have noted. Also, not sayin its perfect, but its better/different from how it was.

Minus - self-sauce is still there and it has some impact, otherwise I dont see the reason why so many do it.
    And to just glide and crazy-deke to build up that feeling that you cant hit them(bubbel boy) is also too effective for it to be good.

I dont know the technical reason behind self-sauce, but its like they skate in strong headwind and the puck movment work like a yoyo. It would be optimally if you press for a self-sauce and player and puck could separated more, like a loose puck that glide away from the player. Now it is like the player catches up the puck he just pass away..

* Im thinking, better dedicated servers(more servers) and some good updates after a month or two and this could be a solid game.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I dunno, I have mixed feelings. First off, playing goalie was kinda fun, I could actually catch pucks, and there are some new animations. The goalie seems to use his arms more even in the spread eagle position, and turns his upper torso a bit towards the puck. Seems interesting, I dunno if it helps or not. I made one own goal by using the forward lunge to push the puck off from an attacker, only to pull it back in the goal with my stick... :|

There were also a couple of interesting bounces, and whereas in 20 your goalie would twist around quick and push the puck in the goal, this time I was able to cover the puck each time. So it might seem that goalie is a little better position to play, but it's early days.

As for playing a skater in EASHL, it felt I couldn't do anything. My guy was really slow, and clumsy (183cm two way forward). In 20 I have been able to use this build even in 3vs3, but now it seemed slow even in 5v5. Everybody was skating past and around me.... might have been the connection though. Or maybe the builds are worse this time without any traits? Passing seem better though.

I was disconnected from the game two times, once AFTER the game in the stats screen and once when the game was loading.

Versus felt more like normal, and I was able score etc. So EASHL needs more playing, but not only do we not have enough guys in our team, there's really not a lot people playing the test locally. Hard to find club 3v3 even, so it's mostly droppings.

There was the camera bug I mentioned in another thread, using zone with goalie causes unbearable stuttering.

And what's with the profanity filter? "Joose" is not allowed first name, nor is "Tapparan"! What's going on with it? I mean, are there only English filers, or do you use others too (like French or something)?