EA Forums - Banner

Where did you go? OLD TIME HOCKEY!

Prev1
Ok ... this is gonna be a long rant, but I am really sick of what these new NHL games have to offer. They have forgotten their roots and what made them amazing games! I am an OLD SCHOOL avid player of the EA NHL series since the very first one and never have a seen a game series deteriorate every year more than this. Every year more major "grand stage" features are removed to add more CHEL garbage like Ones, Threes and other crap that IS NOT NHL HOCKEY!!

I do realize that these new NHL games are not made for me anymore which is sad as I grew up with these games both on Sega, PC and now PlayStation, but EA ... "GET BACK IN THE GAME" and never mind this other junk and you want to make those sort of things ... make them into a separate game entirely. Mind you I don't mind HUT tho other than the fact that its basically loot boxes and a pay 2 win strategy ... as a feature ... it is passable, but come on EA! Concentrate on the actual game!

IMHO ... this game series has been ruined and exploited by the skill stick. This control set allows for super human techniques to be used that you would NEVER EVER see in the REAL NHL! Although 94 controls are supposedly obsolete, they are still offered in the game but lack the functionality to customize and hybrid is pretty much the same. Either offer customizable control sets for 94 and hybrid ... or REMOVE them as it is not fair and gives an advantage to those players that use skill stick and exploit YOUR game with super human 🎃🎃🎃🎃 move that would not happen on the ice!

Also several features both functional or quality of life as been removed that used to be in you games from the past ... you are supposed to add and improve on your games ... not remove features and make the WORSE!! Wake up EA! You are losing your customer base. Maybe you need your competition to comeback and make a new NHL game as you have become complacent. Maybe its time for a change!

In closing ... concentrate your efforts to make the game more REAL ... and if you want "FUN" features to add to the game .... throw in a full updatable online capable of the best EA NHL game ... NHL 94 (with fighting) I'd rather you go back to your roots and fix this bloody game than being able to change my hair and eye colour or play pond hockey in a backyard rink!

I have played NHL 21 beta and its just more of the same crap ... same game with a few added CHEL 🎃🎃🎃🎃 and nothing to improve the CORE game and what made it a great series over 10 years ago. This consistent pandering to the online community is what is KILLING this game as offline modes in fun too ... gone is the day of having a few buddies over and playing hockey ... now its on to anti social 🎃🎃🎃🎃 keyboarding warrioring garbage! I've had enough.

I buy the deluxe game year after year ... and continue to be disappointed every time so I will NOT be buying NHL 21 until it comes on sale or perhaps not at all. If I cant win with my words ... I will win with my wallet!

End rant

Replies

• Agreed. First time since 1992 I will not own the latest hockey game(s).

Bust out your 360/Ps3 and play 2k. At least you can run a box+1
  • I want my old NHL games back, not this new micro transaction filled pile of garbage EA continues to put out year after year! Seems like all we get is a game filled with useless features that are not NHL hockey, but now they cater to the new snowflake generation with all this CHEL crap ... ONES, THREES .... JUNK!! Gone are the days where the game was just that NHL hockey and that was it not all this other filler! EA you need to go back to your roots with this franchise ... or it will die ... PERIOD!!

I mean really ... do I really care if I can customize my player with eye colour and different hair styles?? NO ... this isnt the SIMS where that belongs ... Stick with the bloody game! The graphics and all the customization in the world doesn't mean SQUAT if the unrealistic gameplay and added useless features are GARBAGE!

EA, if you want to customize something ... let use customize our controllers ... that would be a great idea. That way skill stick isnt as dominant as it is. With skill stick ... you can make those kind of dekes and moves with an absolute goon like Zac Rinaldo ... is that real hockey? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Focus more on making the game more realistic! Add more features that are actually in NHL hockey and never mind this backyard pond hockey wearing sweatpants and touques shooting on a single goalie or I for one will be happy that I will be saving my $100 CAD this year and the years to come.
  • You can always live in the past playing games on old consoles if you want. The future goes forward whether you like it or not with gimmicks. Just wait til the day where it's just called something like NHL Forever and we pay a monthly fee to play. The only changes that happen would be things like removing players and adding players for roster updates.

We're inching closer and closer to that as games to many are simply becoming just a copy n paste even more. You see it in all the sports titles.

And the skill stick is the greatest addition to the NHL series ever.

• Follisimo wrote: »
    You can always live in the past playing games on old consoles if you want. The future goes forward whether you like it or not with gimmicks. Just wait til the day where it's just called something like NHL Forever and we pay a monthly fee to play. The only changes that happen would be things like removing players and adding players for roster updates.

We're inching closer and closer to that as games to many are simply becoming just a copy n paste even more. You see it in all the sports titles.

At least the games in the past didn't have a user score of 0.2 like Madden 21 is getting right now. The bottom is starting to fall out of these games, and don't think for a second that the NHL series is immune to such a thing. I'd love to be able to go back to the 12-14 era with this game as I feel that was the best balance between features and playability. To bolster your point, 15 and Legacy were just copy/pastes of 14 for the most part, but at least they still worked and had features to them.

The skill stick is one of few things that EA did get right...and they got it spot on initially, before they started adding all the ridiculousness to exploiting its use.

Personally, I'm fed up and have been for years now with all the fluff EA keeps putting in this game while they continuously neglect actual game-play shortcomings. I think the title is evolving into Fortnite on Ice myself, and that's a deep disrespect to the game of hockey and a middle finger to people who want a game that represents the sport accurately.

{shrugs}
    You can always live in the past playing games on old consoles if you want. The future goes forward whether you like it or not with gimmicks. Just wait til the day where it's just called something like NHL Forever and we pay a monthly fee to play. The only changes that happen would be things like removing players and adding players for roster updates.

At least the games in the past didn't have a user score of 0.2 like Madden 21 is getting right now. The bottom is starting to fall out of these games, and don't think for a second that the NHL series is immune to such a thing. I'd love to be able to go back to the 12-14 era with this game as I feel that was the best balance between features and playability. To bolster your point, 15 and Legacy were just copy/pastes of 14 for the most part, but at least they still worked and had features to them.

The skill stick is one of few things that EA did get right...and they got it spot on initially, before they started adding all the ridiculousness to exploiting its use.

Personally, I'm fed up and have been for years now with all the fluff EA keeps putting in this game while they continuously neglect actual game-play shortcomings. I think the title is evolving into Fortnite on Ice myself, and that's a deep disrespect to the game of hockey and a middle finger to people who want a game that represents the sport accurately.

{shrugs}

Definitely agree on this entirely! Out of the many years I have played this game, NHL 21 we be the first I'm opting out of. A lot of people I play with or against in the EASHL community have said the same. The only thing people play now in EASHL is league which is like a virtual hockey league. Drop-ins are never full since they went outdoors and for the most part are full of trolls. EA simply does not listen to it's actual NHL gamers, other than the top HUT players. Definitely not worth the money priced with it being a basic copy & paste with little to nothing new other than a few new features here and there.

{shrugs}

They can add gimmicks but not actual hockey plays.

It's amazing. We can do one handed tucks but a box+1 and a left wing lock is out of the question.

Yeah...I'll stick with a game thats 12 years old. At least its hockey
  • A lot of the issues with the game just come down to the simple fact that the physics absolutely suck and my gut feeling is it's not by accident. The developers have probably recognized that most of the casual hockey fans who play this game don't want real hockey. They want pucks that magnetize and glue to sticks rather than pucks that actually bounce. They don't want to have to be positioned well to block passes, make passes or fire home one-timers. They want what the user sees (basically a 360 degree view of the ice) to be what the player sees so that they can just fire blind passes everywhere and make crazy defensive interceptions.

Ultimately, a video game will never be able to truly replicate real life, but I'd be willing to bet that the developers could make it more realistic if they wanted to. The thing is they don't want to.
  • Sega82mega
    1476 posts Member
    edited September 13
    the physics absolutely suck, but it has a reason why it sucks..

I both love and hate the skate engine in this game, and I would say this is what mess up the physics play in this game.

Cause how it suppose to work and how it work is two diffrent things. LT'ing/vision control is abused in a way no developer wants to see, people can see long before when you are about to get hit.. Instead of taking a hit.. We turn back, dangel, L2 some more, one pass to the other defender, L2 some more, this behavior over and over again is ripping apart the game mechanics until nothing is in sync. A big messy pile, is what we get.

I wish we could skate more lateral move and that turning 180° could go faster, the pace is so fast, so when you enter the zone you have to start to turn the second you go over the blue line. But often dont work anyway, which of course make it almost impossible to establish any satisfying O-zone play.

The skate engine works like a balance board, but all the weight is pushed in one direaction, full speed forward in combination with unnaturally vision control moves.

*when it work like it suppose to do its good, but the biggest problem is that this game is too sensetive. It dosent have to be much exploiting for the game to crack.
  • The rise and fall of EA Sports.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECvnIGeTxU&t=1822s

Hope your paying attention EA ... this may be the year of the boycott for all your titles big and small!

Everything that I have been saying is in the video link I just posted ... these games are no longer about the "game" its now about the monetization and ludicrous game modes that don't belong in a true sports simulation. Leave that crap for other game titles ... for example the WWE games franchise by 2K (not including WWE2K20 which was a rushed piece of garbage) They release 2 WWE games ... one that is more "real" WWE2K line and now they just released a new title where it is more fantasy such as wrestlers having superpowers called 2K Battlegrounds.

This is what you should do to make more revenue ... release the sports titles as REAL games without money grabbing schemes and then make separate game titles for all the aracady type modes that are truly unrealistic.

Wake up EA ... NO ONE CARES! Give us our "REAL" games back!
  • NJFAN90 wrote: »
    The rise and fall of EA Sports.

Hope your paying attention EA ... this may be the year of the boycott for all your titles big and small!

Everything that I have been saying is in the video link I just posted ... these games are no longer about the "game" its now about the monetization and ludicrous game modes that don't belong in a true sports simulation. Leave that crap for other game titles ... for example the WWE games franchise by 2K (not including WWE2K20 which was a rushed piece of garbage) They release 2 WWE games ... one that is more "real" WWE2K line and now they just released a new title where it is more fantasy such as wrestlers having superpowers called 2K Battlegrounds.

This is what you should do to make more revenue ... release the sports titles as REAL games without money grabbing schemes and then make separate game titles for all the aracady type modes that are truly unrealistic.

Wake up EA ... NO ONE CARES! Give us our "REAL" games back!

Lmao apparently you missed the talk about how Madden 21 sold better than Madden 20. These stupid articles don't do anything. It's just the same song and dance by the few while others still enjoy it.

• It's not the articles that are stupid, but the people who throw money at broken things... they're addicts really.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    It's not the articles that are stupid, but the people who throw money at broken things... they're addicts really.

Ye I think alot of the money comes out of that, addicts, of winning, of hockey and addicts of gaming.

I have manage to stay strong when it comes to putting money in to the game, but a big reason of that it's beacuse im not going to get exactly what I pay for. (in my opinion).

The day Quinn Hughes, Kopitar etc. is more what they are in real life compare to what they are in the game, that day I could defenetly see myself put some bucks into it.
  • The reason Madden 21 is still selling as well as all the other sports titles is purely for one reason. There is simply nothing else ... EA and EA only holds the monopoly on the rights to release these games for the NFL, NHL etc.

Maybe if EA Sports had some competition then MAYBE these titles will return to form, but until then the "addicts" have to get their fix and EA knows it! They are the ultimate pushers. They are the wolf on the hill, but always remember that wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill.

Maybe one day ... another company will rise up and have a chance to fix these debacles then EA will have to step up their game.

One can only hope!
  • NJFAN90 wrote: »
    The reason Madden 21 is still selling as well as all the other sports titles is purely for one reason. There is simply nothing else ... EA and EA only holds the monopoly on the rights to release these games for the NFL, NHL etc.

Maybe if EA Sports had some competition then MAYBE these titles will return to form, but until then the "addicts" have to get their fix and EA knows it! They are the ultimate pushers. They are the wolf on the hill, but always remember that wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill.

Maybe one day ... another company will rise up and have a chance to fix these debacles then EA will have to step up their game.

One can only hope!

If EA had competition in football and hockey...they would be forced to do better. They used to, actually. Even if 2k was "worse", according to arm-chair hockey players, 2k was the reason EA developed the skill stick. If it wasn't for 2k, EA would have never revolutionized that aspect.

Think about it...EA developed the skill stick. Truly revolutionary. A few years later 2k goes away. Since then, EA has revolutionized ZERO, NOTHING, NADDA. Anyone can lie to themselves all they want. It has been over a DECADE since EA has made something so magical. Since then, this game has been built with gimmicks.

"It's just the same song and dance by the few while others still enjoy it."- my favorite quote on the forums

When this game collapses and other games/developers CONTINUE to put out better, more thorough, and engaging products...remember stuff like this. The proof is in the pudding. So many games and developers are on the rise because of the EFFORT they put it. That stands the test of time. Eventually the gravy train will stop running. Ignorance is not bliss forever, baby.
  • The NHL license isn't exclusive to EA so anyone can make an NHL game if they wanted. Even after 2K quit the NHL games on console they did card games on mobile. The NHL license isn't cheap so trying to fight over the 1mil-1.5mil people might not be worth it.

The NHL license isn't exclusive to EA so anyone can make an NHL game if they wanted. Even after 2K quit the NHL games on console they did card games on mobile. The NHL license isn't cheap so trying to fight over the 1mil-1.5mil people might not be worth it.

We are aware. Very few still hold onto the "EA has monopolized hockey" thing. EA did great putting their competition out of the market since the Skill Stick was created. Since then, they have revolutionized nothing. If you can name me one thing that is truly extraordinary they have done since then I am all ears. Baby steps from a multi-billion dollar company is the exact definition of underachievement.

Hence the issue. Since they created an unbelievable aspect, any incoming competition would have to, right out of the gate, enter the market with something game-changing.

I will not be the one to say "creating new, revolutionary, in-game mechanics is easy" because that is absurd. What I will say is gutting the game in 15, re-introducing previous gen modes, putting so much effort into aesthetics, and doing very little in terms of actual, on-ice gameplay will not help the franchise in the long run. That 1,000,000 people will continue to dwindle. The proof is out there. They are consistently losing sales. Trends and statistics do not lie.
  • This is sad to say but year after year, it's clear EA is cutting corners with this franchise. Probably a good reason why there are not a lot of people playing this anymore because of the way EA handled things. I think EA did this to themselves and they deserve it.

They should pull the plug on the franchise. Then, let a few years go by until demand builds up again and maybe we will see another company take over. I would even be fine if they didn't use official teams and players if it means saving the developers a lot of cash but focus on solid gameplay hockey.

It's pretty clear HUT is one big cash cow for EA. Really fed up with EA's incompetence.
    The NHL license isn't exclusive to EA so anyone can make an NHL game if they wanted. Even after 2K quit the NHL games on console they did card games on mobile. The NHL license isn't cheap so trying to fight over the 1mil-1.5mil people might not be worth it.

We are aware. Very few still hold onto the "EA has monopolized hockey" thing. EA did great putting their competition out of the market since the Skill Stick was created. Since then, they have revolutionized nothing. If you can name me one thing that is truly extraordinary they have done since then I am all ears. Baby steps from a multi-billion dollar company is the exact definition of underachievement.

Hence the issue. Since they created an unbelievable aspect, any incoming competition would have to, right out of the gate, enter the market with something game-changing.

I will not be the one to say "creating new, revolutionary, in-game mechanics is easy" because that is absurd. What I will say is gutting the game in 15, re-introducing previous gen modes, putting so much effort into aesthetics, and doing very little in terms of actual, on-ice gameplay will not help the franchise in the long run. That 1,000,000 people will continue to dwindle. The proof is out there. They are consistently losing sales. Trends and statistics do not lie.

You're right theyre losing overall game sales but due to hut, profits rise. Until that changes, nothing about their strategy in making this game will change. They see profit and see a win. Everyone else sees the state of the game and is appalled. We tell them yearly, but what happens? They ignore it in favor of gimmicks. Gimmicks draw people with short attention spans and get old fast. Putting out a game that actually resembles the sport its representing shouldn't even be an option.

Ea is playing the short game and will ultimately lose when all they have to do is keep long time customers happy with a quality product, and word of mouth would get their sales back up.

Bottom line, as long as they keep getting pats on the back from the suits that prob dont know hockey or gaming, they see this game as a success, and that's a problem for customers. When a business cares more about money over quality, usually people find another brand of that product. Ea is the only brand. They know this, amd they exploit every last dime of it.

You're right theyre losing overall game sales but due to hut, profits rise. Until that changes, nothing about their strategy in making this game will change. They see profit and see a win. Everyone else sees the state of the game and is appalled. We tell them yearly, but what happens? They ignore it in favor of gimmicks. Gimmicks draw people with short attention spans and get old fast. Putting out a game that actually resembles the sport its representing shouldn't even be an option.

Ea is playing the short game and will ultimately lose when all they have to do is keep long time customers happy with a quality product, and word of mouth would get their sales back up.

Bottom line, as long as they keep getting pats on the back from the suits that prob dont know hockey or gaming, they see this game as a success, and that's a problem for customers. When a business cares more about money over quality, usually people find another brand of that product. Ea is the only brand. They know this, amd they exploit every last dime of it.

I'm curious why you think their sales are down? If you use those sites that keep track of sales they are severely flawed in their lack of knowing digital sales. I haven't bought a physical version of NHL since 15 on the XB360. Also we don't know the money that HUT is pulling in for them either (yes they don't get to keep it for their benefits).

Digital purchases are taking over physical sales more and more. And unless places like EA announce their sales you probably won't know how it's doing.

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 26
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »

I'm curious why you think their sales are down? If you use those sites that keep track of sales they are severely flawed in their lack of knowing digital sales. I haven't bought a physical version of NHL since 15 on the XB360. Also we don't know the money that HUT is pulling in for them either (yes they don't get to keep it for their benefits).

Digital purchases are taking over physical sales more and more. And unless places like EA announce their sales you probably won't know how it's doing.

That is a lie EA (and other companies who don't want to share that data) want you to believe. There are many companies that actually share their digital sales number accurately, and then others (guess who?) who purposely hold that information a secret. And there are even others that offer an ambiguous figure for digital sales, like for instance "over 500 000 units". Soooooo... What like 550 000 or 999 000? So yeah, websites like vgchartz were vilified for "not having accurate data" but through no fault or maliciousness of their own.

When they'd report a game having 1 million units sold, sure it was an estimate. But it wasn't a "flawed" estimate. At worst they'd be off by a few tens or hundreds of thousands, but it's not like the difference between 1 million and 1.3 million changes much.

Also, for games that have both the retail and digital sales versions of games, most times retail numbers were the greater part of their sales. Games that are only available digitally however, well those numbers can (and would be) fudged up.

Last I checked, EA still sells their game in BD disc format. And retail stores seem to be selling them pretty well.

It would be fun if EA would release their digital sales number as other companies do. But then their lies would be laid bare for all to see. And that's not something they'd want. Because you can be sure that if in the past, numbers would show 1 million units of NHL sold, there would be probaby 300-500 more units in digital sales that they'd be hiding. Same now. If the chart shows 700K, they're probably sitting on about 30-50% of that number in digital sales.

So whether their sales were 1.5 million before instead of the 1 million reported on the site, their sales are around 1 million now instead of 700K or something close to that. But the information on market ratios between physical and digital sales show that's probably how it stands.