EA Forums - Banner

What Is The Point Of Buying This Game Anymore?

What is the point of even buying this game? Year after year we are sold into buying a basically copy & paste version of the previous games of NHL with a few tweaks here and there. I'm not paying $80 for a game that is basically the same thing as last years game. I play this game frequently in EASHL in club mostly because it's the only indoor hockey option for that mode. Drop-in is nothing but a troll fest because majority don't find enjoyment with the outdoor casual arcade style hockey, unless it's 3's. We cannot even pick our jerseys anymore which is a joke! Now they go and ruin club. making the finals outdoors! Why not have it like how they do in the NHL but say like a best of 3 series.

Be A Pro finally has been worked on after so many years of it being ignored and straight out boring!

Literally we active members of the game are never listened to, as majority of us wanted indoor drop-in along communities back. Right now most just play league club through the VGHL website. Why call it NHL when it barely is because it has NHL rosters in the game. What a waste of money!!!

Replies

• People don't care about EA's NHL, they just love/crave hockey; buying a new game every year is the desire for a fresh start stat wise, and an astonishingly neverending amount of hope that next year's title will be better.

Yearly cycles are hard for the team, but it really doesn't have to be this way
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I didnt get into the closed beta but from what I hear from my buddy and a gamechanger, the BaP fluff and what not sounds like a nice change but overall gameplay seems the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Cosmetically the game needs a fix. Drop in should be in an arena, ones and eliminate or 3s on a pond 6s should be in an arena. Gameplay needs fixes but I liked the steps it took last iteration.
  • I didnt get into the closed beta but from what I hear from my buddy and a gamechanger, the BaP fluff and what not sounds like a nice change but overall gameplay seems the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Cosmetically the game needs a fix. Drop in should be in an arena, ones and eliminate or 3s on a pond 6s should be in an arena. Gameplay needs fixes but I liked the steps it took last iteration.

games exactly the same minus a few tweaks that makes the game worse. specifically transitioning from backskate to forward.

the few tweaks that are better are not even worth listing they have so little impact on the experience.

• I didnt get into the closed beta but from what I hear from my buddy and a gamechanger, the BaP fluff and what not sounds like a nice change but overall gameplay seems the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It depend on how you feel for 20, if you liked 20 you will probebly think 21 is a step up from that.

I really liked what I saw in this Technical beta, and if they manage to improve something from that to the final realese, im glad.

But if you are looking for something that will blow your mind away, maybe 22 will be worth waiting for.

Just my 2 cents
  • I play in leagues that require the newest version of the game. It's an enjoyment that gives me about a total of 40 days worth of game each year. If you don't feel it's a value then just pass it by. Make sure you're happy with your choices.

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I didnt get into the closed beta but from what I hear from my buddy and a gamechanger, the BaP fluff and what not sounds like a nice change but overall gameplay seems the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Indeed, it hasn't changed much. If anything's changed is that offense is even more overpowered than ever. Defense got nerfed (because it was TOO good, I guess) and Goaltending is still a huge mess. But I guess that's what people wanted so EA "listened" and made changes to the game accordingly.

As for the BaP stuff, they mostly just added a story line to the entire proceeding to "align" themselves with the other Sports franchises available on the market, including their own like FIFA and Madden who've had that for years. Better late than never, eh?

If you really, really, REALLY like NHL 20, then NHL 21 will be your cup of tea... If you didn't, well... There's always next year.

Or the next....

Or the next...

Or... you know where this is going, don't you?
  • We probably won't get anything substantial until next year.

And even then it won't top what madden puts out on ps5 this year, however Madden can be a good measuring stick for NHL from a graphics standpoint. Gameplay will never reach the level of Madden. Sadly.

And even then it won't top what madden puts out on ps5 this year, however Madden can be a good measuring stick for NHL from a graphics standpoint. Gameplay will never reach the level of Madden. Sadly.

Madden is a **** bomb this year. If that's any indication of what to expect from NHL 21...well you know where that's going.

Madden is a **** bomb this year. If that's any indication of what to expect from NHL 21...well you know where that's going.

I was referring to the yet released PS5/ Series X versions. Not this mess we have now.

I was referring to the yet released PS5/ Series X versions. Not this mess we have now.

Here is the thing though... Madden is using Frostbite engine. NHL is not so don't think the graphics will be even close.

• To put it simply, if you want a hockey game for the sake of a hockey game, buy NHL 21. If you want a hockey game that plays like actual hockey that probably doesn't exist. It's pretty clear that the developers have completely kowtowed to the casual players who just want to be able to do the same things over and over again without thinking.

The players who don't want to deal with real physics and just be able to bounce off defenders so long as they're holding the puck out to the side.

The players who don't want the puck to act like a puck. The ones who want to have pucks glue to their sticks rather than bounce around.

The players who want to be able to slam home any on-timer without actually having to position themselves properly.

This may sound stupid, but the game is designed for video game players and not hockey fans.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    We probably won't get anything substantial until next year.

Here is the thing though... Madden is using Frostbite engine. NHL is not so don't think the graphics will be even close.

Who's to say that NHL won't eventually end up on frostbite? I wouldn't rule it out. In fact, I'm surprised that it hasn't already been transitioned over to frostbite. It should've been. The game would probably benefit from it. Graphics wise anyway. I'm not sure I truly care for the gameplay in Madden. But I think the gameplay in Madden is better than NHL currently so I hope that it can make a transition to frostbite. Is FIFA a frostbite game? That might be the best comp if it is.
  • They really need to bring back online player progression. 2014 was and still is the best version of this franchise for that reason alone. As it stands there is no incentive to keep players playing EASHL. These "rewards" that you play for amount to nothing other then cosmetic changes.
  • Oslik1000
    465 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    What is the point of even buying this game? Year after year we are sold into buying a basically copy & paste version of the previous games of NHL with a few tweaks here and there. I'm not paying $80 for a game that is basically the same thing as last years game. I play this game frequently in EASHL in club mostly because it's the only indoor hockey option for that mode. Drop-in is nothing but a troll fest because majority don't find enjoyment with the outdoor casual arcade style hockey, unless it's 3's. We cannot even pick our jerseys anymore which is a joke! Now they go and ruin club. making the finals outdoors! Why not have it like how they do in the NHL but say like a best of 3 series.

Be A Pro finally has been worked on after so many years of it being ignored and straight out boring!

Literally we active members of the game are never listened to, as majority of us wanted indoor drop-in along communities back. Right now most just play league club through the VGHL website. Why call it NHL when it barely is because it has NHL rosters in the game. What a waste of money!!!

what is the point for you? the point is ultimate team cards the same as fifa is profitable so much with microtransfers.
    cards are still so new and fresh :) you do need anything to upgrade the game if your cards has a new fresh skins. you do not need any new card with 2020 symbol at the left corner???? How are you an old gen customer! We need a fres customers for our a new fresh cards with 2021 symbols :))))

fifa ultimate team EA income is growing. will not stop next years because corona made a profit twice so quick with a "new corona cards on market available soon!"
    2015: 587 mil
    2016: 660 mil
    2017: 775 mil
    2018: 1,18 bil
    2019: 1,37 bil
    2020: 1,49 bil

hockey community does not exists. EA do not need any community build. cards are the best deal for everyone who will own any piece of this. EA is holding the best shares price.

It is not EA fault. It is only bussiness.
  • Btw apparently PS5 1st party games are going to start costing $70usd and of course NBA 2k for next-gen is doing the $70. I wouldn't be shocked in a year if EA games....even NHL cost $70usd

• jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Tonysl79 wrote: »
    I’m sure the goal is for all video games base prices to be $99.99. Then add in the “special edition” or “deluxe package” games for $125-&139.99. Then their will inevitably make micro transactions a must for online play to stay competitive. It’s coming mark my words. It’s all business. How much can you get before the market dictates you’ve pushed it too far.

Actually the cost of video games has nothing to do with anything other than what the market believes is the sweet spot of what customers will pay.

In general prices haven't changed in 40 years