EA Forums - Banner

Outdoor rinks

Replies

• RSall14 wrote: »
    32Doak wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    They really need to bring back our drop in teams and put us back in the enclosed arena. This isn't NHL style hockey anymore. No one likes the clown gear...no one ever did. We complained about it after the first season of the single out door rink.

Did they listen? No.

What did they do? They added more out door rinks and had to remove one of them when the complaining got too much (canal rink).

Did they listen to us this year? Nope.

And it even took months to get canal removed.

That's because they copied and pasted NHL 20 into NHL 21. Did we expect them not to just mail it in? I mean I was a tad hopeful but the realist in me knew this was what would happen

I find it hilarious that so many of you believe software engineers would literally copy and paste code.

I find it funny that a company would claim they rebuilt a game from the ground up only to SOMEHOW reprogram all the legacy bugs in from the ground up too.

Exactly, big red flag was snapping sticks on a stick lift. Devs also later confirmed that legacy code was still in destroying the whole notion of "built from the ground up". They tried to suppress threads and comments about it a lot back then.

yeah they basically had to come out and admit it was a "misunderstanding" that it was built from the ground up. it was significant rework but its obvious it used a lot of the existing code.

Right but they were caught in their wording because it was an outright lie. Somehow they truly believe we dont notice these things and when people call them out, more often than not they are silenced. I would just like a little honesty. Say you messed up when you do and instead of telling us we did something wrong when we have a complaint, try to understand WHY we feel its wrong as far as the game of hockey goes. We dont wanna know why it works how it does. We want to know whats going to be done to bring that specific thing to a point that we can all be happy.

The rants and the anti EA stuff comes from years of these same exact things playing out in the exact same way instead of having a fully open and honest dialogue. People can only ask nicely for so long before they get mad, and thats what you're seeing is years of people being irritated at the same things being done and said over and over.

Now i understand there are certain things you cant say and thats fine but please for the love of lord stanley, stop treating us like were too dumb to see through all this, and things will go better all around.

And this will most likely be my last post for a while.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    They really need to bring back our drop in teams and put us back in the enclosed arena. This isn't NHL style hockey anymore. No one likes the clown gear...no one ever did. We complained about it after the first season of the single out door rink.

Did they listen? No.

What did they do? They added more out door rinks and had to remove one of them when the complaining got too much (canal rink).

That's because they copied and pasted NHL 20 into NHL 21. Did we expect them not to just mail it in? I mean I was a tad hopeful but the realist in me knew this was what would happen

I find it hilarious that so many of you believe software engineers would literally copy and paste code.
    Well, as an ex software engineer/programmer, I find it amusing that you find it hilarious. 😁

It is very much possible and also easy to do. Depending how well the original code was written, it's either good or bad solution though...

I'm not saying that EA does it. But it certainly looks like they do. Actually I would be surprised if they wouldn't.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

So the NHL devs open up 'Programming App' and then to go file, open - NHL 20.. then CTRL-A, CTRL-C

Then they go to file, open, NHL 21..CTRL-V.

Gotcha.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Did they listen? No.

Well, as an ex software engineer/programmer, I find it amusing that you find it hilarious. 😁

It is very much possible and also easy to do. Depending how well the original code was written, it's either good or bad solution though...

I'm not saying that EA does it. But it certainly looks like they do. Actually I would be surprised if they wouldn't.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

So the NHL devs open up 'Programming App' and then to go file, open - NHL 20.. then CTRL-A, CTRL-C

Gotcha.
    Where did I say that? :smile:
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited September 2020

Did they listen? No.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

Gotcha.

hahaha.. maybe the same place where I said copy and paste is never used in programming? ;)

I'm not referring to snippets of code used here and there to call repeated functions..

Users here literally believe it's select all code from nhl 20, copy, paste - save as nhl 21.

I find that part hilarious. Not the fundamental everyday use of copy and paste :)

Did they listen? No.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

Gotcha.

hahaha.. maybe the same place where I said copy and paste is never used in programming? ;)

I'm not referring to snippets of code used here and there to call repeated functions..

Users here literally believe it's select all code from nhl 20, copy, paste - save as nhl 21.

I find that part hilarious. Not the fundamental everyday use of copy and paste :)

I think what most mean by copy and paste is that they see VERY little difference and the problems weve complained about are still there so its like they just copy and pasted. I dont think anyone ACTUALLY believes they copied and pasted. People are taking that too literally.

Did they listen? No.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

Gotcha.

You take things too literal, brochacho
  • As someone who knows about coding websites, there are certain things that can be copied and pasted into multiple files across one website, and when I was learning to code copy and pasting was sometimes encouraged to save time and effort. Why waste time on typing out functions if you can literally copy and paste it over from another section of the website? It would make no sense to write something 100x if you don't need to. After all as the old saying goes, "time is money" and in some industries that saying is truer than others. Especially construction.

Why is this important to this topic? It isn't outside of the fact that this has turned into a copy and paste discussion. And because I am sure that the same sort of thing exists in game development to some extent. For example the text type/color on a menu, background images for menus, etc are typically the same across most of the menus so I am sure that is probably a copy and paste kind of thing.

The only game mode, to me, in NHL 20 (and prior to that) was Be a Pro, just add a new menu style and it was pretty much the same exact mode. Thankfully that finally got looked at and fixed. And I would like to think that my push last summer to get it some love had something to do with that. I wasn't the only one either but I added my voice to the cause.

Did they listen? No.

rrrrrrriiiiight...

Gotcha.

You take things too literal, brochacho

I'm not about to spend time deciphering the nuances of speech among this group.

If people want to color their posts with hyperbole then they should expect the conversation to turn towards semantics when the hyperbole fails to offer a clear description of one's opinion.

• 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    LOL. What exactly wasn't clear? People here aren't going to hold your hand and explain basic expressions to you. And no, by "hold your hand" I don't mean to literally hold your hand. What I meant was that we shouldn't have to explain things to you as if you were a toddler.
  • Users here literally believe it's select all code from nhl 20, copy, paste - save as nhl 21.

"literally" no one here believes this.. literally...

It's a figure of speech.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

"literally" no one here believes this.. literally...

It's a figure of speech.
    Right. It means same crap we hated last year hasn't changed regardless of all our suggestions that they are "listening to".
  • I personally think we have way more pressing issues to worry about than playing in an outdoor rink.

Better ai
    Puck physics
    Transitional skating
    Custom mapping
    Team customization streamlining
    Etc. Etc.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4832 posts EA Community Manager
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    I personally think we have way more pressing issues to worry about than playing in an outdoor rink.

Better ai
    Puck physics
    Transitional skating
    Custom mapping
    Etc. Etc.

Thank you, @TTZ_Dipsy

I think it's better if someone wants to open up a discussion thread in off-topic about programming, but let's try to keep this thread related to outdoor rinks.
  • i don't mind the outdoor rinks for a change of scenery, but what i don't like is the chewed up, blue ice. It would be much better if we could make the ice standard white like it is on all of the indoor rinks or even outdoor rinks in real life like Winter Classics. I think the simple ice colour change would go a long way to stopping peoples complaints on outdoor rinks
  • All right, on topic then -- We already have the ability to change sounds but players are gonna need the shadows and sun glare to be worked on if you want to make outdoor rinks work.

I personally like outdoor rinks; never thought they could really be screwed up. The choppy ice flakes are somewhat of a problem when you use the natural blue surface - I say, make it like the old NHL HITZ where you got perfectly crystal blue ice and that was it (maybe throw those swimming fishies back in too please and thank you).

I'm somewhat doubtful you have the tech/means to make it happen, but an easy way to alleviate everyone's problems would be to give us a cosmetic option to switch between outdoor and indoor at any time. I can't not see a ton of problems that would arise from that but I also think if you could toggle that in the pregame screen, it will only add to wait times

• If they have to keep the outdoor setup, make it an actual Winter Classic feel stadium, hockey equipment and not goof gear. Keep those for 3s, ProAm Ones. 6s should be with full gear on.

Even lighting, white ice, evening setting, etc.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    I personally think we have way more pressing issues to worry about than playing in an outdoor rink.

Better ai
    Puck physics
    Transitional skating
    Custom mapping
    Etc. Etc.

Thank you, @TTZ_Dipsy

I think it's better if someone wants to open up a discussion thread in off-topic about programming, but let's try to keep this thread related to outdoor rinks.

What more is there to talk about?
    We've expressed how they aren't cool & we hardly enjoy playing any of them.
    The ice is unrealistically weird looking.
    The clown gear is just that, gear for 🤡.
    There is too much clown gear that clashes with the opposition. As just one example, the Alex Ovechkin HOME jersey is predominantly WHITE.
    The atmosphere is just whack. I mean lack. There is none.
    The cut scenes are too frequent.
    The cut scenes are random and irrelevant.
    The cut scenes are the same cut scenes every cut scene of a cut scene could cut a scene.
    The outdoor rinks have no variance aside from the infinite cut scenes.
    We didn't ask for them, didn't want them, asked to get rid of them, yet we have to have them..? If we must, then at least give the lobby a vote to determine which one we have to clown around on. Like in COD.
    The outdoor rinks should have day and night games just for something to mix up the same generic in game feeling.
    Cut scenes.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »

Better ai
    Puck physics
    Transitional skating
    Custom mapping
    Etc. Etc.

Thank you, @TTZ_Dipsy

What does it matter. Basically every single person who has played drop in since these stupid outdoor rinks showed up knew they were horrible. Yet here we are playing nhl21 and they are still here.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I guess EA won't back down on the outdoor rinks or the casual gear, because that would be admitting they've wasted their time and resources on completely useless and stupid things that no one asked for, and that many people are still asking to be removed. Instead of concentrating on, well NHL related things like GM connected. Or returning lobbies to EASHL etc.

Like they didn't realise at first that the casual gear would make it really hard to see who's who on the ice, so they just made everybody wear the black/white hoodie in 6v6 games. Oops.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I guess EA won't back down on the outdoor rinks or the casual gear, because that would be admitting they've wasted their time and resources on completely useless and stupid things that no one asked for, and that many people are still asking to be removed. Instead of concentrating on, well NHL related things like GM connected. Or returning lobbies to EASHL etc.

Like they didn't realise at first that the casual gear would make it really hard to see who's who on the ice, so they just made everybody wear the black/white hoodie in 6v6 games. Oops.

Literally feel we regular NHL gamers have hardly any say in this game! The only people they listen to are the selected gamechangers who basically want this nonsense in the game while many of us who play drop-in didn't! I found it extremely difficult to get one drop-in game this year, as most people have went to league, club or made practice clubs to play casually. Hardly anyone plays the outdoor hockey unless it is threes. Pretty much spend hours to get a game until finally one comes up and then everyone starts trolling. When will @NHLDev wake and realize we don't want this trash. Even in the trailer forwards look way overpowered so defense was clearly not focused on this year, which is a huge concern. People are just going to exploit everything.

Think I will pass on this year, until we see an actual EA Sports Hockey Game. A suggestion would be to bring back the PS3/Xbox features such as communities that many want for modes like EASHL. At least we could see who was online and could join a game that wasn't always full of trolls.