EA Forums - Banner

Tired of all these rigged games

Replies

• TheMajjam wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    What a chore. I think I'm just getting numb to this crap now. I'm still on the fence about 21 because I don't think I can take another year of this crap.

3eYIPzs.gif

Thanks for the clip. I've experienced this before myself so I can understand the frustration. In most cases, a turnover happens, but there are times when it doesn't. I'll pass the clip on to the dev team. Appreciate it.

I'm just noticing now that it looks like you tried to shove them at the last moment. That's not going to let you pick up the puck. Yellow also skates through the forward's stick which will not let them pick up the puck for a moment.

Also, with these 2 players so close in proximity, they are knocking the puck loose, but having a hard time picking it up again due to sticks passing through the players/sticks. That's something else at play here. Stick on stick and stick on body contact don't allow the puck to be picked up immediately. This is longer for stick on body than stick on stick contact.

Look, I can understand toss up plays happen. It's hockey. However, there's no denying the constant struggle to retain pucks on the defensive end. I think I do everything right here!

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * Let him make his first crap deke move.
    * I don't penalty poke.
    * I match his speed and stick lift. I have to say, out of all the stick lift crap I see happen, I think it was a decent lift (multiple times).
    * I put myself in position to between him and the puck. I didn't shove. I'll repeat, there's no shove here. I don't need to! I'm in perfect position to puck up the puck, but somehow the magnetic automatic puck picker upper decides he should win the battle?

This game creates turnovers when you literally skate the puck by someone's stick and it creates a transfer. They don't have to do anything. They just need to stand there.

Here, try this. Try skating by a dude who's not playing off the face off. Watch the puck transfer right to their stick when you try to skate by. Now, on the flip side, try taking the puck away from a player who's not playing and see the kind of circus hoops you have to jump through to get it away. Just those two examples are a testament to how one-sided this crap is.

I know you're doing your best Aljo, but I'm sorry, you're just a human meat shield for the developers that should be answering these kinds of tech questions.

Well, your first mistake is taking logic from actual hockey (the way it should be) and trying to compare it to EA "hockey".

Your second mistake is believing (and you're right) that this will ever go away. EA NHL Super Awesome Dangle Snipe Celly Speed Burst 2021-forever is here to stay and there is, literally, nothing any of us can do about it.

Remember when you were a kid and you had a teddy bear? Loved the bear. But then one day your mom made you get rid of it and you knew the days of having a teddy bear were over forever? That is how EA NHL makes me feel. 28 straight years of buying a game that I have now realized is gone forever.

Sure, I could lie to myself and "be positive" that I'll enjoy this game again sometime. I hate baseball but play the excrement out of The Show. I guess I like it so much because it's actually baseball. A lot of people do, actually. Authenticity is not overrated.

Hehe you will get your teddy bear, if not now.. 22 will bring something whole new to the table. Anything else would surprise me alot.
    What a chore. I think I'm just getting numb to this crap now. I'm still on the fence about 21 because I don't think I can take another year of this crap.

3eYIPzs.gif

Thanks for the clip. I've experienced this before myself so I can understand the frustration. In most cases, a turnover happens, but there are times when it doesn't. I'll pass the clip on to the dev team. Appreciate it.

I'm just noticing now that it looks like you tried to shove them at the last moment. That's not going to let you pick up the puck. Yellow also skates through the forward's stick which will not let them pick up the puck for a moment.

Also, with these 2 players so close in proximity, they are knocking the puck loose, but having a hard time picking it up again due to sticks passing through the players/sticks. That's something else at play here. Stick on stick and stick on body contact don't allow the puck to be picked up immediately. This is longer for stick on body than stick on stick contact.

Look, I can understand toss up plays happen. It's hockey. However, there's no denying the constant struggle to retain pucks on the defensive end. I think I do everything right here!

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.
    * I match his speed and stick lift. I have to say, out of all the stick lift crap I see happen, I think it was a decent lift (multiple times).
    * I put myself in position to between him and the puck. I didn't shove. I'll repeat, there's no shove here. I don't need to! I'm in perfect position to puck up the puck, but somehow the magnetic automatic puck picker upper decides he should win the battle?

This game creates turnovers when you literally skate the puck by someone's stick and it creates a transfer. They don't have to do anything. They just need to stand there.

Here, try this. Try skating by a dude who's not playing off the face off. Watch the puck transfer right to their stick when you try to skate by. Now, on the flip side, try taking the puck away from a player who's not playing and see the kind of circus hoops you have to jump through to get it away. Just those two examples are a testament to how one-sided this crap is.

I know you're doing your best Aljo, but I'm sorry, you're just a human meat shield for the developers that should be answering these kinds of tech questions.

You know what the REALLY sad part is? It's that it's the SAME "the user it at fault" response we've come to know and love from EA all over again. Nothing's changed.

And then THEY want us to post videos showing THEM the issues we see in the game. LOLOLOLOL! It's like if the local law enforcement would ask its citizens to report crimes, but when they do, the citizens receive 50 lashes and the criminals go scott free.

Yeah... I think we'll pass, thank you very much. Find your own glitches that you don't wanna fix by blaming the users.

The other sad part is that this game will never change. It will never improve. At one point I just simply thought "Well, the devs probably don't have the resource to fully translate the sport of hockey to a video game". But after 20 years, you know what I've realized? They don't WANT to. They are incapable of doing so.

Because nobody in the NHL team has any hockey knowledge. Oh, I'm sure some watch it on TV. Like the highlight reels maybe. But actual playing experience and knowledge? Zero... It just oozes out of their videogame. That's why this game will never be anything like hockey. Not with NHL 21. And probably not with NHL 26 or later (if this series is still alive by then).

Every time I try to play EA NHL it's like I'm playing a game made by people who played Pinball instead of hockey.

Again... Sad. :(
  • EA_Aljo
    3194 posts EA Community Manager

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

When 2 players are in close proximity and the puck comes loose, that's due to incidental contact. Stick on stick, stick on body, puck hitting a skate, etc. Then, according to positioning and player ratings, the puck gets picked up. Possession can keep transferring as 2 players battle for the puck in close proximity.

There are times it's a challenge to get the puck from a player that's not moving. I can get possession, but it may take several tries. Especially when facing the boards so I understand the frustration with that. In most every case, I've got possession within a few seconds, but there are those times that it takes longer. I'm not disagreeing or debating that with you.

Most everything I say comes from talking to developers. Those videos I ask for are shown to devs to get input on them that I then relay back, but there's a lack of belief when we break them down. Developers have posted here in the past and hopefully, they'll be back after 21 releases, but it's also common for them to spend a very large amount of time explaining game mechanics to have them not believed.

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

Well, your first mistake is taking logic from actual hockey (the way it should be) and trying to compare it to EA "hockey".

Your second mistake is believing (and you're right) that this will ever go away. EA NHL Super Awesome Dangle Snipe Celly Speed Burst 2021-forever is here to stay and there is, literally, nothing any of us can do about it.

Remember when you were a kid and you had a teddy bear? Loved the bear. But then one day your mom made you get rid of it and you knew the days of having a teddy bear were over forever? That is how EA NHL makes me feel. 28 straight years of buying a game that I have now realized is gone forever.

Sure, I could lie to myself and "be positive" that I'll enjoy this game again sometime. I hate baseball but play the excrement out of The Show. I guess I like it so much because it's actually baseball. A lot of people do, actually. Authenticity is not overrated.

Thats exactly how i feel and its terrible because no matter what we say or do EA just doesnt seem to get it.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

When 2 players are in close proximity and the puck comes loose, that's due to incidental contact. Stick on stick, stick on body, puck hitting a skate, etc. Then, according to positioning and player ratings, the puck gets picked up. Possession can keep transferring as 2 players battle for the puck in close proximity.

There are times it's a challenge to get the puck from a player that's not moving. I can get possession, but it may take several tries. Especially when facing the boards so I understand the frustration with that. In most every case, I've got possession within a few seconds, but there are those times that it takes longer. I'm not disagreeing or debating that with you.

Most everything I say comes from talking to developers. Those videos I ask for are shown to devs to get input on them that I then relay back, but there's a lack of belief when we break them down. Developers have posted here in the past and hopefully, they'll be back after 21 releases, but it's also common for them to spend a very largeit.nunt of time explaining game mechanics to have them not believed.

Ita not that we dont believe them. We dont care how or why it works how it does. All we know is were not happy with it so instead of telling us "how it works", why not open a dialogue of what you need to do and what we can do to get this game back to something resembling hockey.

Over and over again ive seen this play out on here with customers with the same complaints year in amd year out but nothing ever gets done about it because our valid complaints are explained away by telling us how mechanics work when what WERE SAYING is we dont care why it works that way . we want to know what you plan to do to make it better.
  • EA_Aljo

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

Most everything I say comes from talking to developers. Those videos I ask for are shown to devs to get input on them that I then relay back, but there's a lack of belief when we break them down. Developers have posted here in the past and hopefully, they'll be back after 21 releases, but it's also common for them to spend a very largeit.nunt of time explaining game mechanics to have them not believed.

Ita not that we dont believe them. We dont care how or why it works how it does. All we know is were not happy with it so instead of telling us "how it works", why not open a dialogue of what you need to do and what we can do to get this game back to something resembling hockey.

Over and over again ive seen this play out on here with customers with the same complaints year in amd year out but nothing ever gets done about it because our valid complaints are explained away by telling us how mechanics work when what WERE SAYING is we dont care why it works that way . we want to know what you plan to do to make it better.

If we have news on changes to mechanics, we'll make an announcement. Changing how incidental contact works isn't going to be an easy feat. It's entirely possible that if the puck were less loose and not so prone to incidental contact, it could bring out a lot of complaints about a lack of realistic physics. Incidental contact is very much a part of hockey. We're playing a game where you use a controller when a hockey stick is your main tool. You don't have full control over the stick either so possession is going to be determined by positioning and player ratings when the puck is loose and able to be picked up after the delay lapses from stick on body/stick contact.

We'd all love to see this improved. Over the years, many changes have been made to this mechanic, along with pickups in general. Feedback isn't being ignored, but it's a lot easier to provide that input than put it in action. That takes a lot of time to develop, test and release. Especially if you want it completely overhauled. Very often, you can't change one thing without affecting other areas of the game. So, what looks like a simple change to one mechanic really isn't when you consider the potential domino effect on other aspects of gameplay.

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

Most everything I say comes from talking to developers. Those videos I ask for are shown to devs to get input on them that I then relay back, but there's a lack of belief when we break them down. Developers have posted here in the past and hopefully, they'll be back after 21 releases, but it's also common for them to spend a very large amount of time explaining game mechanics to have them not believed.

Aljo, we believe them...its just...this game is not made well. The explanations are great...they just make no sense in terms of hockey. That video above...is pure hogwash. Nobody cares about the explanation because it's wrong. A new formula needs developed.

Sure, we use a controller in place of a hockey stick and that's tough to duplicate. On the other hand, I play a Mil-Sim with a mouse and keyboard...its the most authentic gaming experience ever.
  • CantHoldMeDown12
    96 posts Member
    edited September 2020

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

If we have news on changes to mechanics, we'll make an announcement. Changing how incidental contact works isn't going to be an easy feat. It's entirely possible that if the puck were less loose and not so prone to incidental contact, it could bring out a lot of complaints about a lack of realistic physics. Incidental contact is very much a part of hockey. We're playing a game where you use a controller when a hockey stick is your main tool. You don't have full control over the stick either so possession is going to be determined by positioning and player ratings when the puck is loose and able to be picked up after the delay lapses from stick on body/stick contact.

We'd all love to see this improved. Over the years, many changes have been made to this mechanic, along with pickups in general. Feedback isn't being ignored, but it's a lot easier to provide that input than put it in action. That takes a lot of time to develop, test and release. Especially if you want it completely overhauled. Very often, you can't change one thing without affecting other areas of the game. So, what looks like a simple change to one mechanic really isn't when you consider the potential domino effect on other aspects of gameplay.

And i understand that but so long as you guys are reusing an outdated engine and 12 year old code, of course itll be hard to make changes. What needs to be done is you guys skip a year and ACTUALLY rewrite the game (for real this time) from the ground up for newer tech. Of course when you keep adding new things and tweaks on an engine builtin the xbox360 era, its gonna fall apart. I get things take time but when certain things are brought up several years in a row and nothing changes about it, people get upset.

This is why i feel a trello board would be a huge help. We could see exactly where our feedback is being used, and keep people more in the loop overall. Nobody hates you or the devs for the record. Our (or my) anger is aimed at people above rammer because they refuse to give you the resources you need. I get that, but those suits who make the decisions just throw you guys under the bus and laugh.

My main issue is how you can justify charging full price every year when making MINIMAL changes compared to your other titles and then say its due to a small team. So thats literally admitting that you know youre going to be selling an inferior product at full price. I wouldnt mind that so much if you werent making more money than ever from hut yet the amount that changes from year to year is less and less, and the amount of problems people complain about every year gets bigger, not smaller.

You always ask us to see things from your side but try looking from our side. Ea has lied to us, advertised features right on the case that were never delivered due to technical issues, and claimed the game we built from the ground up this gen (legacy bugs and all.) These are all things we saw with our own eyes so youll have to forgive people who just have a hard time believing anything you guys say anymore. The relationship between you guys and us is terrible because we dont trust you....and for good reason.
    Post edited by CantHoldMeDown12 on
  • I hope that for next-gen that physics are fixed because whatever space shot scientist they brought in for NHL 15 (PS4) really screwed up something with the phyics. Something seems really off with this game and has been off since that happened. I just prey that the game can get another refresh for this generation, if not moved to Frostbite, for PS5/Series X because the game as it stands right now needs something and I just can't put my finger on what that is yet.
  • I hope that for next-gen that physics are fixed because whatever space shot scientist they brought in for NHL 15 (PS4) really screwed up something with the phyics. Something seems really off with this game and has been off since that happened. I just prey that the game can get another refresh for this generation, if not moved to Frostbite, for PS5/Series X because the game as it stands right now needs something and I just can't put my finger on what that is yet.

it needs to be brought up to date. The game engine is so far outdated, that i believe its one of the biggest things holding it back.

it needs to be brought up to date. The game engine is so far outdated, that i believe its one of the biggest things holding it back.

I agree, but the issues with goaltending have been a problem for many years, so that isn't a game engine issue. That is a development issue. And one that really needs to be addressed.

I agree, but the issues with goaltending have been a problem for many years, so that isn't a game engine issue. That is a development issue. And one that really needs to be addressed.

I agree with that as well. The goalies really went downhill after littman was sniped for another game. They need to bring in some pro goalies and really nail the position for once. That right there alone would be a game changer imo.
  • EA_Aljo

3eYIPzs.gif

* 1v1.
    * Gap control.
    * I don't penalty poke.

And i understand that but so long as you guys are reusing an outdated engine and 12 year old code, of course itll be hard to make changes. What needs to be done is you guys skip a year and ACTUALLY rewrite the game (for real this time) from the ground up for newer tech. Of course when you keep adding new things and tweaks on an engine builtin the xbox360 era, its gonna fall apart. I get things take time but when certain things are brought up several years in a row and nothing changes about it, people get upset.

This is why i feel a trello board would be a huge help. We could see exactly where our feedback is being used, and keep people more in the loop overall. Nobody hates you or the devs for the record. Our (or my) anger is aimed at people above rammer because they refuse to give you the resources you need. I get that, but those suits who make the decisions just throw you guys under the bus and laugh.

My main issue is how you can justify charging full price every year when making MINIMAL changes compared to your other titles and then say its due to a small team. So thats literally admitting that you know youre going to be selling an inferior product at full price. I wouldnt mind that so much if you werent making more money than ever from hut yet the amount that changes from year to year is less and less, and the amount of problems people complain about every year gets bigger, not smaller.

You always ask us to see things from your side but try looking from our side. Ea has lied to us, advertised features right on the case that were never delivered due to technical issues, and claimed the game we built from the ground up this gen (legacy bugs and all.) These are all things we saw with our own eyes so youll have to forgive people who just have a hard time believing anything you guys say anymore. The relationship between you guys and us is terrible because we dont trust you....and for good reason.

There have not been minimal changes. We can't go into detail on what has changed since it all hasn't been publicly released yet, but what many deem minimal actually takes a very large amount of work. Of course, we don't expect everyone to have development level knowledge of how a game is created, but many are very quick to assume what they saw in the beta means nothing was done as well as jumping to the conclusion that so many changes are easy to make.

We aren't outright lying to you guys. It's always possible a feature may not make it into the final release when issues are found very late in development. As far as claims from several years back go, I don't have details on that so I'm not going to go into it. We do our best to avoid misinformation as much as possible. We also have to try to correct the assumptions that are very often created by communities, but that frequently doesn't turn out well. This thread is a prime example of that. We can repeatedly say there is no DDA in NHL, but people refuse to believe us. There are assumptions made about how development is run and who makes decisions on what goes into the game each year that are flat out wrong, but if we say what actually happens, it's met with disbelief. To that, people will say that because we're EA, we're not to be trusted. So, there's a communication barrier that leads to a huge amount of false information being accepted as true.
  • Davanial
    267 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    You 'outright lied' about the video Majjam posted...
  • EA_Aljo
    Davanial wrote: »
    You 'outright lied' about the video Majjam posted...

I'm not seeing where that happened. After reviewing the video, and consulting with development, I detailed what appears to be happening. If the video were zoomed in better, we could get more detail.
  • Sure, we use a controller in place of a hockey stick and that's tough to duplicate. On the other hand, I play a Mil-Sim with a mouse and keyboard...its the most authentic gaming experience ever.

Mini stick wii style controllers anyone? :smiley:
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Sure, we use a controller in place of a hockey stick and that's tough to duplicate. On the other hand, I play a Mil-Sim with a mouse and keyboard...its the most authentic gaming experience ever.

Mini stick wii style controllers anyone? :smiley:

It was working fine last gen with Controllers. You could manually bat the puck back and forth like actual hockey players with the RS. Ever since NHL came to the current Gen, that's all been lost in order to dumb down the mechanics so that everyone can be "good".

Tonysl79 wrote: »
    You’ll have to wait till nhl 22 I stopped playing on August 9th and have no plans to buy nhl until the game is specifically designed and developed for the new consoles. There have been many threads addressing this issue with video evidence but since it was months ago you’d have to go back to nov dec Jan feb discussions to find them. Pucks stop dead on the goal line from time to time and you can’t tap the puck in with your stick no matter what you try. The game only stops when the goalie finally can find the puck and cover it up. You don’t have to believe me but I’m not the only person this has happened too. Go to YouTube go to reddit and type in anything like dead puck at goal line for nhl 20 or can’t tap in puck at goal line for nhl 20 or magical redline in nhl 20. Plenty of videos will pop up but I’m sure it won’t be enough video evidence. I must be the only person on the planet to see these videos and of course the people who post them.

I'm not saying I don't believe you. The videos I've seen had the defender carrying the puck to the goal line. If it's happening in other ways, that's what we need video on. If we saw it before and noticed it happened due to something other than what is intended, it most likely was passed on to the dev team.

What about these videos:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/echmi4/that_incredible_invisible_wall_is_back_at_it/
  • EA_Aljo
    edited September 2020
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Tonysl79 wrote: »
    You’ll have to wait till nhl 22 I stopped playing on August 9th and have no plans to buy nhl until the game is specifically designed and developed for the new consoles. There have been many threads addressing this issue with video evidence but since it was months ago you’d have to go back to nov dec Jan feb discussions to find them. Pucks stop dead on the goal line from time to time and you can’t tap the puck in with your stick no matter what you try. The game only stops when the goalie finally can find the puck and cover it up. You don’t have to believe me but I’m not the only person this has happened too. Go to YouTube go to reddit and type in anything like dead puck at goal line for nhl 20 or can’t tap in puck at goal line for nhl 20 or magical redline in nhl 20. Plenty of videos will pop up but I’m sure it won’t be enough video evidence. I must be the only person on the planet to see these videos and of course the people who post them.

I'm not saying I don't believe you. The videos I've seen had the defender carrying the puck to the goal line. If it's happening in other ways, that's what we need video on. If we saw it before and noticed it happened due to something other than what is intended, it most likely was passed on to the dev team.

What about these videos:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/echmi4/that_incredible_invisible_wall_is_back_at_it/

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of video I was hoping to get. I passed it on to the dev team and have found out they know this can happen. It's a very rare issue, but they believe it's been fixed for 21. There have also been other cases of offensive pickups on the goal line pulling the puck away from the net rather than tapping them in that have been addressed. This goes for defense as well. They should behave better when the puck is on the goal line.

If you all see any more issues like this in 21, definitely let us know. We'll make sure it gets passed on to the devs.
  • Now if you can stop the d men from putting the puck in their own net it would be great also
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.