EA Forums - Banner

Same fat-man-laggy mess as always...

Prev1
Another year of this trash, huh? I knew that was gonna be the case. It always is.

At least I'm only out $5.29 this time instead of $80 plus tax from last years mess.

Replies

• As I said in the other thread, if fat man lag kills you in 20 it will be the exact same in 21. Sucks that north America is too big for them to have adequate server coverage for, but it is what it is.
  • As I said in the other thread, if fat man lag kills you in 20 it will be the exact same in 21. Sucks that north America is too big for them to have adequate server coverage for, but it is what it is.

I don't even know if that's really the issue. I have PLENTY of download/upload speed. My ping times are usually 43-55 according the EA's network stats in the game. The graph is generally flatlined consistently.

This is where having EA test the game in different less-than-ideal locations would come in handy rather than in a vacuum like they seem to do now. I have brand new everything from PS4 to the pole my wire for internet connects to, so I'm literally tapped out with what I can do, and the game plays like CRAP.
  • RSall14
    613 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    As I said in the other thread, if fat man lag kills you in 20 it will be the exact same in 21. Sucks that north America is too big for them to have adequate server coverage for, but it is what it is.

I don't even know if that's really the issue. I have PLENTY of download/upload speed. My ping times are usually 43-55 according the EA's network stats in the game. The graph is generally flatlined consistently.

This is where having EA test the game in different less-than-ideal locations would come in handy rather than in a vacuum like they seem to do now. I have brand new everything from PS4 to the pole my wire for internet connects to, so I'm literally tapped out with what I can do, and the game plays like CRAP.

They can boot up the game from Burnaby, play a 6s game on East and feel what everyone else is experiencing first hand.

it has nothing to do with this. Most people who experience "lag" in this game are not feeling lag from network communication. Its either a server issue or a local issue (could be local network or even just a console that is not running well). Server "issue" could mean so many things.

Don't trust the in game network latency ping. Its not even pinging the actual gaming server you are connected to, just an server in the same datacenter. Which is why its so perfectly consistent. Some games have built in latency monitors that show the actual application latency of the network communication between the gaming PC and the actual server its communicating with. You will be able to ping those server for lets say 55ms but that app latency could be jumping all over from 60-120ms. Point is don't trust that number to tell you anything other than what region you are currently connecting to.

There's nothing wrong with everyone on the east side of NA connecting to the same region in the EAST. (shouldn't be any issue with all of NA connecting to the same server but thats another issue). Its not going to be where the servers sit but the architecture and how well the game scales as 1000s of people are hitting them at the same time. They should have basically infinite resources that can scale to meet any demand. Then it just becomes a software issue.

This game has proven over time this is an area where they have gaps and users with perfect internet that amazing performance in every game has "fat man lag" in this game. And its not changed since they rebuilt this game for NHL 16. Before that they had very different problems. It was traditional lag where games where very responsive to the situation and the experience could be very different from minute to minute in game. I think they made a major overhaul to the "netcode" for next gen console and its smoothed out the experience but left some people at some times feeling this fat man lag. Just my theory.
  • Well, between yesterday and today I have ATTEMPTED 16 games of HUT. 4 of them I quit before faceoff because the ping was close to 100, so probably a far away server. 10 I quit within 5-10 minutes of starting because the FAT MAN LAG made the game unplayable for me. 2 of them my opponent quit for whatever reason.

EVERY GAME IS A QUIT!!!!!!!! EVERY......SINGLE......ONE!!!

So a question for the guys at EA.....I have tried 10-20 different modem/router combinations in the last 5 years. I have experimented with a list of router firmware on a bunch of them. I have had ALL of my cable wires replaced/updated a few years ago. I have upgraded my speeds. I have played this series on PS4 and XB1 and ALWAYS hardwired. I upgrade ALL of my internet cables to CAT6. EA says my trace report is good. Spectrum says my internet is good and there's nothing wrong anywhere. I still can't play this game no matter what because of the fat man lag. I don't have another SINGLE internet option where I live. NOTHING...NADA!!!

What solution do you pros at EA have for me? I'll wait. I won't hold my breath though.
  • Hey EA, are you out there to comment on my situation? Or does the fact that I'm only one person not matter when you look at the bottom line?
  • ivrakadabra
    2 posts New member
    edited October 2020
    I have the same problem ! I have testet 4+ routers , new cables , have been living on 4 different places, 3 different consoles and i still just lag in nhl and nothing else. New game same old problem. It is a Little bit bettet in rivals but vs games and normal hut game and other game mode is fat man lag in 80% of the games.

This will be the last nhl game i Will play because it is never fixed!

Edited for profanity - CM
    Post edited by EA_Aljo on
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey EA, are you out there to comment on my situation? Or does the fact that I'm only one person not matter when you look at the bottom line?

Apologies for the late response. I was off the last couple of days. For future reference, you can always have an advisor assist with this by opening a case here. If you'd like to go through some troubleshooting with me, let me know.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Hey EA, are you out there to comment on my situation? Or does the fact that I'm only one person not matter when you look at the bottom line?

Apologies for the late response. I was off the last couple of days. For future reference, you can always have an advisor assist with this by opening a case here. If you'd like to go through some troubleshooting with me, let me know.

I have gone through every troubleshooting step I can since 2015, and nothing has worked. Check out my longer comment above (the one where I rant hardcore) and you'll see my frustration over the years.

I have played this game series on both XB1 and PS4. My daughter has an XB1 and has never had a single issue online with any game she plays (Fortnite, Call of Duty, Fallout 4 just to name a few.) NHL is my main play and it's nothing but problems online, and has been since the console jump to PS4/XB1. So at this point I'm not really interested in hearing anything about me troubleshooting on my end. It sounds like EA needs to start troubleshooting what THEY are doing...not the other way around.

Look at this in a common sense way. If there was really something going on with my internet or setup then my daughter would have similar issues on her games. She has NONE of that going on where NHL is a continuous struggle.

It is EA's job to make sure the game works for everybody. Your paying customers deserve to have a working game out of the box. They shouldn't need Networking related degrees (and even that's probably not enough)
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I have gone through every troubleshooting step I can since 2015, and nothing has worked. Check out my longer comment above (the one where I rant hardcore) and you'll see my frustration over the years.

I have played this game series on both XB1 and PS4. My daughter has an XB1 and has never had a single issue online with any game she plays (Fortnite, Call of Duty, Fallout 4 just to name a few.) NHL is my main play and it's nothing but problems online, and has been since the console jump to PS4/XB1. So at this point I'm not really interested in hearing anything about me troubleshooting on my end. It sounds like EA needs to start troubleshooting what THEY are doing...not the other way around.

Look at this in a common sense way. If there was really something going on with my internet or setup then my daughter would have similar issues on her games. She has NONE of that going on where NHL is a continuous struggle.

It is EA's job to make sure the game works for everybody. Your paying customers deserve to have a working game out of the box. They shouldn't need Networking related degrees (and even that's probably not enough)

Due to the extremely high amount of differing equipment, ISP's, routing from ISP's, using wireless/wired, bandwidth, others on your network, etc., it's impossible for us to make sure the game plays exactly the same for everyone. There is a lot that is out of our control, but blame typically solely falls on us. Unfortunately, without going through troubleshooting, we won't be able to find out why you're lagging so much. If you change your mind, let us know.
  • I've worked most of my adult life for ISP. @EA_Aljo is not wrong. It could be your wireless router to your ISP connection to ISP Peering partner. There is so many different variables including your opponent internet connection since this is a peer to peer connection for 1vs 1 modes.

I wish NHL would used dedicated server in all modes so that the connection depends less on peering but more on the connection between the client and the server. I am not sure NHL title have such a budget for their online servers.

Due to the extremely high amount of differing equipment, ISP's, routing from ISP's, using wireless/wired, bandwidth, others on your network, etc., it's impossible for us to make sure the game plays exactly the same for everyone. There is a lot that is out of our control, but blame typically solely falls on us. Unfortunately, without going through troubleshooting, we won't be able to find out why you're lagging so much. If you change your mind, let us know.

Just for conversation sake, what did you have in mind as troubleshooting steps? Remember, I did state that since NHL 15 I've been doing nothing but troubleshooting, so I honestly am not sure if there is anything left that hasn't been tried yet.

Also keep in mind that I have exactly ONE option for wired internet around here, so if they have any problems good luck getting them to address any of them. I'd be pretty SOL at that point.

Just for conversation sake, what did you have in mind as troubleshooting steps? Remember, I did state that since NHL 15 I've been doing nothing but troubleshooting, so I honestly am not sure if there is anything left that hasn't been tried yet.

Also keep in mind that I have exactly ONE option for wired internet around here, so if they have any problems good luck getting them to address any of them. I'd be pretty SOL at that point.

if you have cable internet you are pretty much at the mercy of the traffic in your neighborhood. Since everyone is working from home, ISP network were not design to sustain the amount of traffic we are seeing right now. Most ISP oversubscribe capacity to around a 4:1 ratio. This is why you might see slow down in prime time due to the network not capable of handling the amount of traffic generated.
  • EA_Aljo
    Symtexbc wrote: »
    I've worked most of my adult life for ISP. @EA_Aljo is not wrong. It could be your wireless router to your ISP connection to ISP Peering partner. There is so many different variables including your opponent internet connection since this is a peer to peer connection for 1vs 1 modes.

I wish NHL would used dedicated server in all modes so that the connection depends less on peering but more on the connection between the client and the server. I am not sure NHL title have such a budget for their online servers.

There aren't many modes using peer to peer these days. Online Versus does is the only one I can think of currently. Previously, Online Seasons and Draft Champions in HUT were P2P as well.
  • I am glad the P2P is mostly gone. It was a nightmare.
  • Symtexbc wrote: »
    I am glad the P2P is mostly gone. It was a nightmare.

Everything is a nightmare with this game online. Notice how the EA guy skipped over my comment again and responded to yours instead? Also, I feel like I play more on servers that I do P2P being that HUT is mainly played. I did try two games of VS last night though, and they were the usual disaster, so I'm now 0-2 in that mode as well thanks to the fat-man lag.

Simply put, there is NO WAY to win or have any sort of fun with this game when you're under those conditions just about all of the time.

Trying to get problems solved around here is worse than baptizing a cat.
  • Confusion- Everything you wrote is 100% truth and real. I’ve been complaining on these forums for years. There’s nothing you can do about it. There is no fix. There is no explanation. There is no trouble shooting. Changing your isp won’t do anything. Changing wires won’t do anything. Changing modems won’t do anything. Port forwarding won’t do anything. I’ve tried every possible solution over the past 7-8 years. Everything!

This all started with the PS3 and Xbox 360, and it’s the same thing every year. Youre just gonna have to accept that you have no chance to compete in a lot of games, no matter how good your team is, or how good you are at the game.
  • Symtexbc wrote: »

Everything is a nightmare with this game online. Notice how the EA guy skipped over my comment again and responded to yours instead? Also, I feel like I play more on servers that I do P2P being that HUT is mainly played. I did try two games of VS last night though, and they were the usual disaster, so I'm now 0-2 in that mode as well thanks to the fat-man lag.

Simply put, there is NO WAY to win or have any sort of fun with this game when you're under those conditions just about all of the time.

Like I've mentioned before. This a gazillions factors that could make your connection terrible when you play online and most of them has nothing to do with EA. I am not ruling out an issue that is between your ISP and EA's CDN. A few years ago, everyone on the west coast was having issue. I reach out to one of the core network guys where I worked (ISP) and we found out that one of the link was saturated. After we contacting our peering partner and make some changes, it was much better. I am sure if you ask all of the player on the west coast using the same ISP, they were screaming bloody murder at EA. It had nothing to do with it.

It's very hard to EA to help you out if you refuse to troubleshoot with them. I know how hard it is to convince your ISP to fix any issue as the guys on the phone are just following a script. The guys that really knows what they are doing, you will never get to talk to them...ever.
  • Confusion- Everything you wrote is 100% truth and real. I’ve been complaining on these forums for years. There’s nothing you can do about it. There is no fix. There is no explanation. There is no trouble shooting. Changing your isp won’t do anything. Changing wires won’t do anything. Changing modems won’t do anything. Port forwarding won’t do anything. I’ve tried every possible solution over the past 7-8 years. Everything!

This all started with the PS3 and Xbox 360, and it’s the same thing every year. Youre just gonna have to accept that you have no chance to compete in a lot of games, no matter how good your team is, or how good you are at the game.

This is exactly why troubleshooting will do nothing for me as I've exhausted everything...literally.

Like I've mentioned before. This a gazillions factors that could make your connection terrible when you play online and most of them has nothing to do with EA. I am not ruling out an issue that is between your ISP and EA's CDN. A few years ago, everyone on the west coast was having issue. I reach out to one of the core network guys where I worked (ISP) and we found out that one of the link was saturated. After we contacting our peering partner and make some changes, it was much better. I am sure if you ask all of the player on the west coast using the same ISP, they were screaming bloody murder at EA. It had nothing to do with it.

It's very hard to EA to help you out if you refuse to troubleshoot with them. I know how hard it is to convince your ISP to fix any issue as the guys on the phone are just following a script. The guys that really knows what they are doing, you will never get to talk to them...ever.

It's not that I refuse troubleshooting with them. I've beaten the same horse to death 10-20 times over already with EA and my ISP. I just see the pattern here and know that troubleshooting needs to be done somewhere outside of my house for the problems to go away. Now maybe that doesn't fall on EA either, BUT maybe it does. Why do all non-EA games seem to work fine online and their games don't?

• It is a loaded question. You could have peering issue reaching EA's CDN. The path your connection needs to go through on the internet (hop) is not the same for let's say reaching Epic server for fortnite. Maybe there is a router a long the way that drop packet like crazy. These things needs to be identify and troubleshoot properly. Like I told you , I know how frustrating it is to deal with ISPs. To get to talk to a guy like me will never happen.

I suggest you try the troubleshooting with EA again and hopefully this time, you don't get the runaround.