EA Forums - Banner

Worst AI in years?

This post is about EASHL 3v3 since that’s pretty much all I play but I assume it’s the same for 6’s. I’ve been playing ~20 club games with my buddy so far and CPU defensemen (on both sides) are getting torched all game long, every game. They forecheck like crazy even when you set them to stay back and simply can’t hold their position. When they do try to play some actual defense, all you have to do is skate full speed in a straight line and you’re getting right past them for an easy breakaway 99% of the time.

EASHL is a breakaway fest right now unless you play full games which is not always possible for everyone. I don’t understand how you guys managed to take last year’s mediocre (I’m being polite) AI and make it significantly worse. Is a patch coming to fix this?

Replies

• I kinda hope not. Personally I'm so sick of getting beat by teams running with a cpu. They have them play defense for them, stop all cross crease passes, get all lose pucks, gather all rebounds, scores, poke through your legs, etc. I would say WELL over half the people that play EASHL expect the cpu to lead them to wins. I feel EASHL is a mode to be played with as many humans as possible and EA has made the CPU superhuman at a lot because they can't program them to be smart. You kinda have to pick your poison.. semi smart or superhuman abilities? I would suggest finding a few other guys to play with and always have a handful of guys you could message. I almost never have any problem finding a full 3-6. I just add anyone decent that I play with in drops. The CPU is the WORST part of this game so any way they can force people to play with humans is AMAZING! I would suggest if you want to play with a friend and CPU play hut or playnow. I'm not trying to be mean, I just know when I boot up EASHL the last thing I want to do is play against a CPU.
  • Sega82mega
    1924 posts Member
    edited October 14
    In my AI HUT opinion I think there good, much better then 20, especially to stay in good position's so that I can take control over them and use them were I need to be the most.

But.. If you are hoping that your AI will fix your defense all by themself, in that case I understand if people get angry at them.

AI is silence but good I will say, bad in that way that they dont disturb the play to much, (wich is good), and good at being at the right place for you to take control over.
  • I kinda hope not. Personally I'm so sick of getting beat by teams running with a cpu. They have them play defense for them, stop all cross crease passes, get all lose pucks, gather all rebounds, scores, poke through your legs, etc. I would say WELL over half the people that play EASHL expect the cpu to lead them to wins. I feel EASHL is a mode to be played with as many humans as possible and EA has made the CPU superhuman at a lot because they can't program them to be smart. You kinda have to pick your poison.. semi smart or superhuman abilities? I would suggest finding a few other guys to play with and always have a handful of guys you could message. I almost never have any problem finding a full 3-6. I just add anyone decent that I play with in drops. The CPU is the WORST part of this game so any way they can force people to play with humans is AMAZING! I would suggest if you want to play with a friend and CPU play hut or playnow. I'm not trying to be mean, I just know when I boot up EASHL the last thing I want to do is play against a CPU.

I’ve been playing EASHL since ‘09, the AI’s always been flawed but this year it’s so bad it’s legit game breaking. I’m not talking about making CPU defensemen super human either, I just want them to play their actual position and stop forechecking for no reason. The basic stuff. Is it normal that I don’t even have to be creative to make them look like pylons? No need to deke, pass the puck or dump it in. Just press up on your left analog stick and you’re in business, easy breakaway. Beating CPUs was already easy now it’s a complete joke. I get that playing full 3’s is way more fun but if I want to run 2’s when I can’t find a good human D, can I at least expect my CPU D to not get beat the same way on every single play? It’s already easy enough to score in this game, there’s no need for that LT hustle cheese.
  • HabsCowboysOwn
    17 posts Member
    edited October 14
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    In my AI HUT opinion I think there good, much better then 20, especially to stay in good position's so that I can take control over them and use them were I need to be the most.

But.. If you are hoping that your AI will fix your defense all by themself, in that case I understand if people get angry at them.

AI is silence but good I will say, bad in that way that they dont disturb the play to much, (wich is good), and good at being at the right place for you to take control over.

Like I said earlier, I’m talking about EASHL 3v3. I don’t play HUT. I’m aware that some people in that game mode rely way too much on their AI to make plays (skill zone) because they’re bad/can’t play defense by themselves but that’s not what I’m talking about either. I’m not one of those players, I don’t need my CPUs to do all the job for me.

Feel free to try some 3v3 club games with a CPU d-man and you’ll understand what I’m saying.

• Like I said earlier, I’m talking about EASHL 3v3. I don’t play HUT. I’m aware that some people in that game mode rely way too much on their AI to make plays (skill zone) because they’re bad/can’t play defense by themselves but that’s not what I’m talking about either. I’m not one of those players, I don’t need my CPUs to do all the job for me.

Feel free to try some 3v3 club games with a CPU d-man and you’ll understand what I’m saying.

When people play 'skill zone' - they're just trying to block the most common path people take to score goals (across the slot). This makes people mad because it's effective - but it's also well within the gameplay to be able to do that.

There isn't a single time during a game - whether it be 3v3 or 6v6 - that you are in control of all of the players all of the time. Not once.

So to tell someone "oh you just let the CPU do all the work" - you are doing the exact same thing. The main difference is you take issue with WHEN they switch defenders - and typically people are used to opponents switching players often - allowing them to take advantage of the chaos and get one-timers.

When they face an opponent who strategically switches defenders - they get angry they're not getting the same opportunities they would against someone wildly switching.

Also - on offense - when you're setting up in the offensive zone - are you controlling the other 5 players? No. So - is that considered 'skill zoning'? I mean - you're letting the CPU do all the work of getting your players in to position to hit a one-timer or a shot from the point.... so it's literally the exact same thing, just on the other side of the puck.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Like I said earlier, I’m talking about EASHL 3v3. I don’t play HUT. I’m aware that some people in that game mode rely way too much on their AI to make plays (skill zone) because they’re bad/can’t play defense by themselves but that’s not what I’m talking about either. I’m not one of those players, I don’t need my CPUs to do all the job for me.

The ai defenders have always been poop in 3's but I don't think the ai knows how the turnaround speed has been nerfed this year.

The real solution is for the NHL team to take steps that encourage full lobbies and also discourage trolls and quitters. The ai is just fine when it's all humans.