EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: What I like and Dislike about NHL 21 - in GIFs

Prev134
KidShowtime1867
1721 posts Member
edited October 2020
I've got a few clips of things I like and don't like so far about NHL 21. My 10-hour trial is up and I'm anxiously awaiting the retail so I can continue ravaging my mental health in Online Versus.

A.I. - The good and the Bad

First - The bad:
brp9UEY.gif

At first glance it just looks like bad defense - and don't get me wrong... it IS bad defense - but my issue with this particular play, despite my poor defending, is the A.I. just casually letting a player get positiong in front of the net for seemingly no reason:
lpqoLXR.gif

I believe they maybe had a hiccup in their decision making because they 'assumed' I would continue my defensive pursuit with DeMelo - unfortunately the player got around my DSS so his pass made it through - I'm just not sure why the A.I. left that player alone.

Now - The good.

For years I have despised the A.I.'s inability to recognize the development of odd-man rushes. I think NHL 21 finally nailed it.

Here, a 3-on-1 develops. In previous years, the A.I. would slow up and focus on defending - while still having possession! This year - this is not the case. This GIF makes me so happy - although I know the defender is all out of sorts here - but that's the beauty of odd man rushes - you're forcing a decision from the defender and it seems here he is all out of sorts:
Q2baLwe.gif

Chipping the Puck

I love chipping the puck. I also love that - as of now - I can't find a way you can exploit it. This move allows you to expose defenders who want to rush you:
7R4DzX3.gif
XXU8IBO.gif

Defensive Skill Stick

I am absolutely loving the fidelity of DSS this year. It's far more active - which is exactly what we argued about on the forums last year. DSS is even more effective as a forecheck tool this year:
sNDUDMn.gif
USvHKp5.gif

And of course, inside your own blue line - DSS is knocking the puck loose and keeping the trajectory of the action - meaning you can direct where you want the puck to go with the direction/speed of your stick:
PlyddIE.gif

Here's a full forecheck:
OUfKyym.gif

And this is my favorite part of that forecheck:
zdHJPhs.gif

LTing is still burning my chaps.

Maybe I'm not defending it properly.. but here's a couple of instances that have left me scratching my head:
g1rH8ra.gif
XgMppcN.gif

I want to finish this post off with something positive - PUCK PICKUPS

Since being introduced, they've been a contentious issue among the community. Do they work, don't they work - what are they really.. etc.

Finally - in NHL 21 - you can utilize puck pickups effectively. I've only been able to capture one instance of me doing it - but it gives me hope that I can use it more and more moving forward:
3hYK1K5.gif
Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on

Replies

• Nice work with all the clips as a filler-in to all that you talk about.

LTing is still burning my chaps - that dosent belong in this game, havent seen it to much and I think it takes alot to be successful with that move. But ofc, everything EA can do to make that even more rare - is a good thing.

I really like the poke/DSS too, but I havent decided yet if I think its to forgiving. It's alot of spamming out there, but it dosent effect me that much AND it's kinda revealing of your opponent's desperation/how off the situation they are.

Anyway, nice read! 👍
  • I've got a few clips of things I like and don't like so far about NHL 21. My 10-hour trial is up and I'm anxiously awaiting the retail so I can continue ravaging my mental health in Online Versus.

A.I. - The good and the Bad

First - The bad:

brp9UEY.gif

At first glance it just looks like bad defense - and don't get me wrong... it IS bad defense - but my issue with this particular play, despite my poor defending, is the A.I. just casually letting a player get positiong in front of the net for seemingly no reason:

lpqoLXR.gif

I believe they maybe had a hiccup in their decision making because they 'assumed' I would continue my defensive pursuit with DeMelo - unfortunately the player got around my DSS so his pass made it through - I'm just not sure why the A.I. left that player alone.

Now - The good.

For years I have despised the A.I.'s inability to recognize the development of odd-man rushes. I think NHL 21 finally nailed it.

Here, a 3-on-1 develops. In previous years, the A.I. would slow up and focus on defending - while still having possession! This year - this is not the case. This GIF makes me so happy - although I know the defender is all out of sorts here - but that's the beauty of odd man rushes - you're forcing a decision from the defender and it seems here he is all out of sorts:

Q2baLwe.gif

Chipping the Puck

I love chipping the puck. I also love that - as of now - I can't find a way you can exploit it. This move allows you to expose defenders who want to rush you:

7R4DzX3.gif

XXU8IBO.gif

Defensive Skill Stick

I am absolutely loving the fidelity of DSS this year. It's far more active - which is exactly what we argued about on the forums last year. DSS is even more effective as a forecheck tool this year:

sNDUDMn.gif

USvHKp5.gif

And of course, inside your own blue line - DSS is knocking the puck loose and keeping the trajectory of the action - meaning you can direct where you want the puck to go with the direction/speed of your stick:

PlyddIE.gif

Here's a full forecheck:

OUfKyym.gif

And this is my favorite part of that forecheck:

zdHJPhs.gif

LTing is still burning my chaps.

Maybe I'm not defending it properly.. but here's a couple of instances that have left me scratching my head:

g1rH8ra.gif

XgMppcN.gif

I want to finish this post off with something positive - PUCK PICKUPS

Since being introduced, they've been a contentious issue among the community. Do they work, don't they work - what are they really.. etc.

Finally - in NHL 21 - you can utilize puck pickups effectively. I've only been able to capture one instance of me doing it - but it gives me hope that I can use it more and more moving forward:

3hYK1K5.gif

I dig it.

1. I think you are accurate with the bad d thing but more so with the AI. They should always pick up and tie up a guy in front. 3 guys there should have been able to handle it. Your assumption is probably correct though that they had a decision making error and either assumed you were going to handle it or they assumed one of the other 2 would pick him up.
    2. That definitely looks like a 3 on 1. I still maintain there should be set plays or the ability to make your own but this looks solid. It too has been chapping me for a long time.
    3. Defender commits, gets beat. This could have been stopped with patience, gap control, or the correct commitment from the d. I too see nothing cheesy about that.
    4. I noticed in the beta test it seemed easier to dispossess a forward with this. My only lasting issue in that regard is when there is a "puck battle" (i.e. a forward skates into d-men in traffic), it seems to favor the forward getting the puck back too easily. But, it depends on circumstance and positioning so we will have to continue to play to figure it out.
    5. On one hand, LT'ing is nice because you should be able to, in theory, shield the puck with your body. It also creates a more realistic approach to skating because you can do this in real life. On the other, there needs to be a speed loss/agility loss when you do it (with the puck specifically) to kind of mitigate people twirling constantly. I think we all agree that watching this ad nauseum all game is really boring.
    6. If Gudas lays a hit, this doesn't work. But he doesn't and you were able to sneak by.

Good stuff. I like seeing real game videos/gifs. So far I think 21 is better. My gripes linger with online play. My brother beat someone 16-7 last night. That is too much. A nerf of cross crease/one timers and improvement of interceptions will probably come though.

I will update my thread from yesterday with some additions to this. Happy chelling.
  • 5. On one hand, LT'ing is nice because you should be able to, in theory, shield the puck with your body. It also creates a more realistic approach to skating because you can do this in real life. On the other, there needs to be a speed loss/agility loss when you do it (with the puck specifically) to kind of mitigate people twirling constantly. .

Agreed. It's a move you can do in real-life for sure - but the length of time one can maneuver this way without losing agility/balance and/or puck possession is what drives the feeling that it is cheesey.
  • 5. On one hand, LT'ing is nice because you should be able to, in theory, shield the puck with your body. It also creates a more realistic approach to skating because you can do this in real life. On the other, there needs to be a speed loss/agility loss when you do it (with the puck specifically) to kind of mitigate people twirling constantly. .

Agreed. It's a move you can do in real-life for sure - but the length of time one can maneuver this way without losing agility/balance and/or puck possession is what drives the feeling that it is cheesey.

This one is really tough. At 35, slower, fatter, and definitely not at the level I was at when I was younger, I can maintain the puck fairly well while doing this in real life. You have to think when pros do this they are experts in such a situation. I think the big problem is less the LT'ing and more the lack of body battles/jockeying. If you had a mechanic like that you could, literally, body someone up and stick with them forcing their movement to some degree.

I dunno. The solution to this one is not easy.

This one is really tough. At 35, slower, fatter, and definitely not at the level I was at when I was younger, I can maintain the puck fairly well while doing this in real life. You have to think when pros do this they are experts in such a situation. I think the big problem is less the LT'ing and more the lack of body battles/jockeying. If you had a mechanic like that you could, literally, body someone up and stick with them forcing their movement to some degree.

bingo.

i think the problem is a typical one around here. they realized there was a problem but fix was wrong fix.

The problem wasn't the quickness with which you can transition. It was the ability to string together pivots that were opposed to your momentum. And with the puck that has to be done a little slower to maintain possession.

Even then that's not the biggest problem with LTing. The biggest problem has nothing to do with the mechanic itself but the lack of proper defensive mechanics.

The problem is the bad poke check system. In real life, this is a give and take situation. Sure your body is protecting your puck but in close like this guys will be all over you frantically stick checking you making it near impossible to maintain the puck. Now we are combining a skating skill, agility, balance, etc... with puck handling issue. The other drawback is your back is usually to "the play". So your lack of vision for long periods of time is not ideal. Like anything it has a time and place. As with everything in this game, a good thing will be found and abused.

In this GIF the problem is bad defensive mechanics, NOT the nhl 21 L2ing mechanic. As the player backs in Kidshowtime's defender should be able to chest up, bumping him and spamming poke check and knocking the puck away. The problem is in this game to do both you would have to basically poke directly through the player and trip them. It can be done without tripping but its very difficult. DSS can be used but again very difficult. The result is you have to back up and give them space. this is not an area where you should be giving up space 10 ft from the crease but since he has his body protecting the puck you can no longer stick check. Body checking is the only option and its risky. Stick lifting is also an option... also risky since that mechanism also has unrealistic penalties to keep spamming down and reduce its effectiveness.

On top of all of that the OP nature of large skaters like PWF and Grinder. With a little skill you can turn a tank that never loses the puck into an agile playmaker. I know this was OVP but I actually feel NHL roster players in general are pretty OP in this category compared to EASHL builds.

So they badly nerfed L2 but still don't fix the problem and as such really don't improve the situation. But now with nerfed defense agility options there will be more situations where you are at the mercy of the opponents offensive skills and caught chasing and twirling or giving up way too much space where there shouldn't be any.

bingo.

i think the problem is a typical one around here. they realized there was a problem but fix was wrong fix.

The problem wasn't the quickness with which you can transition. It was the ability to string together pivots that were opposed to your momentum. And with the puck that has to be done a little slower to maintain possession.

Even then that's not the biggest problem with LTing. The biggest problem has nothing to do with the mechanic itself but the lack of proper defensive mechanics.

The problem is the bad poke check system. In real life, this is a give and take situation. Sure your body is protecting your puck but in close like this guys will be all over you frantically stick checking you making it near impossible to maintain the puck. Now we are combining a skating skill, agility, balance, etc... with puck handling issue. The other drawback is your back is usually to "the play". So your lack of vision for long periods of time is not ideal. Like anything it has a time and place. As with everything in this game, a good thing will be found and abused.

In this GIF the problem is bad defensive mechanics, NOT the nhl 21 L2ing mechanic. As the player backs in Kidshowtime's defender should be able to chest up, bumping him and spamming poke check and knocking the puck away. The problem is in this game to do both you would have to basically poke directly through the player and trip them. It can be done without tripping but its very difficult. DSS can be used but again very difficult. The result is you have to back up and give them space. this is not an area where you should be giving up space 10 ft from the crease but since he has his body protecting the puck you can no longer stick check. Body checking is the only option and its risky. Stick lifting is also an option... also risky since that mechanism also has unrealistic penalties to keep spamming down and reduce its effectiveness.

On top of all of that the OP nature of large skaters like PWF and Grinder. With a little skill you can turn a tank that never loses the puck into an agile playmaker. I know this was OVP but I actually feel NHL roster players in general are pretty OP in this category compared to EASHL builds.

So they badly nerfed L2 but still don't fix the problem and as such really don't improve the situation. But now with nerfed defense agility options there will be more situations where you are at the mercy of the opponents offensive skills and caught chasing and twirling or giving up way too much space where there shouldn't be any.

1. Yes, good point. Countering your momentum. Good way to view it. Once you try to make some of these moves you should be dead in the water as you basically skated yourself into a stop.
    2. Personally, IMO, when forwards are not facing the play and/or the direction they are attempting to move/pass to, they should suffer a MAJOR nerf as far as accuracy and speed in which they can pass. This would help, by default, and bring realism into play. Couple that with nerfing the ability to throw a rocket pass with your arms fully extended from your body on your backhand, moves like that would become costly to forwards and would then, in presumption, mitigate LT'ing.
    3. Been saying it for at least a year now: create a body jostling system. It would be fun to be able to truly battle.
    4. If the game was a bit slower, defending would be better. Add in a jostle, a severe nerf to "visionless" plays, and a nerf to LT'ing counter-momentum-movements, and that would certainly help with balance.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    As long as you shadow your forwards so that he's not facing the play, thats pretty much what you can do in this situation. But as stovetop already mention, it's the '1timer pass' after you wait him out thats dangerous, cause you cant as a defender be at two places at the same time. Thats why AI's positioning play is very importen. Especially if they dont move their feets and dangel, only gliding/LT'ing /deking away from the play should not put your own AI out of position, if you follow/pressure the puck carrier the right way.

But I like what I see in this game, 21 grows more and more in my eyes for every game, I think this could be a real killer at the end!
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    As long as you shadow your forwards so that he's not facing the play, thats pretty much what you can do in this situation. But as stovetop already mention, it's the '1timer pass' after you wait him out thats dangerous, cause you cant as a defender be at two places at the same time. Thats why AI's positioning play is very importen. Especially if they dont move their feets and dangel, only gliding/LT'ing /deking away from the play should not put your own AI out of position, if you follow/pressure the puck carrier the right way.

But I like what I see in this game, 21 grows more and more in my eyes for every game, I think this could be a real killer at the end!

We should all, at least, admire your positivity bud.

Honestly a breath of fresh air any time Sega is in a topic. Positive and passionate all around.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Honestly a breath of fresh air any time Sega is in a topic. Positive and passionate all around.

Thank you, so nice to hear. 😊

*get's all warm* 😄
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    5. On one hand, LT'ing is nice because you should be able to, in theory, shield the puck with your body. It also creates a more realistic approach to skating because you can do this in real life. On the other, there needs to be a speed loss/agility loss when you do it (with the puck specifically) to kind of mitigate people twirling constantly. .

This one is really tough. At 35, slower, fatter, and definitely not at the level I was at when I was younger

j095v8tkdq63.png

I saw this on reddit, I had to share... Youre not the only one thats getting fatter.... 😁

Matthews looks like the perfect candidate to own a tracksuit and a trailer.... And a pair of clogs ofc! 👌
  • j0rtsu67
    629 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    5. On one hand, LT'ing is nice because you should be able to, in theory, shield the puck with your body. It also creates a more realistic approach to skating because you can do this in real life. On the other, there needs to be a speed loss/agility loss when you do it (with the puck specifically) to kind of mitigate people twirling constantly. .

This one is really tough. At 35, slower, fatter, and definitely not at the level I was at when I was younger

j095v8tkdq63.png

I saw this on reddit, I had to share... Youre not the only one thats getting fatter.... 😁

Matthews looks like the perfect candidate to own a tracksuit and a trailer.... And a pair of clogs ofc! 👌
    Poor Kessel. :D
    Or did they make his cheeks just a little thinner...?
    Matthews is a winner though!

But how about another new game mode where every player would get that treatment, so it would make sense if you happened to have a fat man lag...?
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

j095v8tkdq63.png

Poor Kessel. :D
    Or did they make his cheeks just a little thinner...?
    Matthews is a winner though!

Haha yeah, but kess is at least in the same shape as always.. 🙄😄

* haha ooooh, not a bad idea j0rtsu.. Not bad at all....HUT Fat-man rush.. 😏
  • Fascinating how agile the pivoting of a player is using LT WITH the puck compared to a defender without the puck.

Look at the pivot of the AI in your first Gif and look at the pivot of the offensive player with the puck using LT.
  • Regarding "LTing is still burning my chaps," that is soooooooo realistic.. it actually disgusts me that this exploit is in the game.
  • WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Regarding "LTing is still burning my chaps," that is soooooooo realistic.. it actually disgusts me that this exploit is in the game.
    Would love to hear a developer's reasoning as to why we need to deal with this exploit.
  • I like how EA is working from home-office. Everything looks so bad AI at these vids.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1721 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    A.I. in the neutral Zone - Like

I am really enjoying how the A.I. is finding open passing lanes while traversing through the neutral zone. It really feels like playing through the middle of the ice has opened up, allowing you to be creative in your transitions and not feeling hemmed in to carrying it through all of the time.

Here's an example of how the little things like that add up:
    o2AdYM8.gif

The fact that the A.I. maintained course while exiting the defensive zone through the neutral zone is a big change from '20, I believe. Previously, they would seem to adjust their course often, not giving you much time to decide which passing lane to use. This year, they stay true - so long as you're not bursting speed with the puck carrier:
    zD43qHl.gif

Defensive A.I. in front of the net - Dislike

In this clip, my opponent's A.i. in front of the net has a breakdown resulting in me scoring:
    MoCablg.gif

His two defenders on the right seem to duplicate each other's movements as soon as Wheeler forces the turnover.
    RtuSm6t.png

Once the human switches control, one of the defenders decides to attack the puck carrier while the other one seems to be hung up deciding whether to pursue Sheifelle or Ehlers.

The human has cut off the lane to Ehlers, so I would expect the A.I. to cover Shiefele in front, but instead he gets stuck in limbo:

VHgKgkV.gif

Offensive A.I. in front of the net - Dislike
    W8gerMZ.gif

Although, for the most part, the offensive A.I. is much improved, I still find them seemingly unaware of how a scoring chance is developing. Although my strategy in this particular play is set to overload - and Sheifele is just getting to his proper spot right in the slot - I feel the a.i. should recognize that there's a ton of open space to the side of the goalie. They should be able to calculate that there's open space that going to a certain area in that open space will force the goalie to make a larger side-to-side movement, increasing chances of a goal.

However, in this case, Sheifele fails to recognize it and I incorrectly assumed he'd go to the open area:
    i5lgyYM.gif

A.I. awareness on Chip puck passes - Dislike

I'm finding that the teammate a.i. isn't recognizing a loose puck from the chip puck mechanic.

Here, I am chipping the puck but the trajectory gets interrupted by the defender:
    NdoTZGi.gif

However, as you can see, Connor had ample time to adjust his course and retrieve that puck, but doesn't recognize the puck has come loose until much later in the sequence
    ZNld6HA.gif

DSS - striping the puck and disrupting shots - LIKE. LIKE. LIKE!

I am absolutely loving playing defense this year. It's so dynamic and fluid. Forcing players to make poor decisions is huge. Being able to make them hang up by implementing proper gap control is my favorite.

DSS is also just so well done this year. Being able to to use it not only to force a player to their backhand but utilizing positioning to get the stick in the way of a shot is a REALLY good feeling:
    xKm7ayk.gif

Forcing players to the boards and stripping them of the puck, while gathering possession - being able to turn into the transition without it feeling like you're turning an 18-wheeler - these add up to fluid defending, the likes of which we haven't seen since '14:
    Zh1Cqiz.gif

Puck Pickups - Like

This isn't the flashiest clip, but I wanted to show how flicking left stick before gathering a puck can initiate a puck pickup and this year - it seems you can blend in to a shot from a pickup, making plays like this happen:

I don't score here - and the animation is quite subtle, but I just wanted to show how you can use a pickup to gain better body positioning to get a chance:
    rtgdN2D.gif

Spitting the D using Speed - Like

Another small and subtle change, but being able to take advantage of a passive human defender by using the speed of the player you're controlling is another change I am noticing.

Here, I have Ehlers - who has some great acceleration. Recognizing this, and also recognizing the human opponent is swapping control of defenders - I can use Ehlers' speed to work my way through the gap that opens between them:
    Tzhtyaf.gif
    Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on
  • I like this posting you doing, very professionally.

And you often manage to 'hit the bullseye', both with the good and bad stuff, perfect!

Me too love to play D in this game, so much that I don't mind losing the puck, which makes me more brave with stuff I try.

I hope they can continue to improve every good side of this game, they have started something really good here.
    I like this posting you doing, very professionally.

And you often manage to 'hit the bullseye', both with the good and bad stuff, perfect!

Me too love to play D in this game, so much that I don't mind losing the puck, which makes me more brave with stuff I try.

I hope they can continue to improve every good side of this game, they have started something really good here.

I just created a D-man in NHL20, when I get 21 for Christmas I'm gonna make a Swedish D, a Swiss Forward, and a finish goaltender. I'm excited about the Swiss forward and the prospect of playing with a European team.