EA Forums - Banner

Stopping cross-creasing tip

Prev1
Stovetop9620
455 posts Member
edited October 22
Since there is some difficulty regarding it lately, I have a tip for y'all:

Turn off auto-back skating in the controller options menu. You will be able to control your pivots, have better control over which way you are facing, and this will give you a better shot to stop these passes. I am not saying interceptions are perfect, what I am saying is you can do a bit more to help yourself. If you are auto back skating, it can be very hard to be in proper position. Not facing the play, hustling, and moving too much will not help you intercept this stuff. In my limited experience, I have not had major difficulty preventing this.

Also, extending DSS CAN intercept passes now if your stick is in the right spot. You can prevent this stuff. L1 blocking is kinda inconsistent but you can take a few extra steps to be better on D.

Spoken from a major EA critic, as I am sure you are aware.
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• And the closer you are to the recipient the better your odds.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    And the closer you are to the recipient the better your odds.

True story, add in the tip to have tight gap. I know this isn't easy but life isn't easy so try your best.
  • When your guy is stronger he is good at tying up opponents in front of the net.
  • Sega82mega
    1933 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Good thread start, beacuse it seems to be a big problem for many.

My contribute: Don't (!) rush on the puck carrier all the time, you will get burn.

And don't be afraid to go in to boardplay, pin the board, if the speed to high, it's a great way to slow things down, so you can take control over the actions again. And by this I mean, even if you got the puck, lets say after a rebound, slow down with help of boardplay. It works pretty good!

+ And also, dont wait until last second to take a shot, it will leave your whole team vulnerable.

+ Same goes for losing the puck, it's easier to take it back in this game, hits and pokes are better, so don't be afraid to take more chances, but don't rush into it, play safe but have some guts.

Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • thegarden94
    319 posts Member
    edited October 16
    I have been doing the one thing I hate the most to do in this game is skill zone ..... been winning a lot but it's boring and no fun having to play this style and of course defending the same play over and over again isn't thrilling either ...good job EA in taking out the creativity in the game because we all know hockey is a one dimensional sport
    Post edited by thegarden94 on
  • Not to mention on the defensive end, that directional pass block is a great tool. I'm not saying to hold L1 and drag your stick on the ice forever, but it's a great way to shut down a potentially open one timer pass option. Especially when the player is in motion and you cannot perform a body/stick tie up.
  • Why can’t they just up pass interceptions like if you’re in position you get the puck. Like why do you get punished for playing good positional defence.

Plus this has always been an issue but not to the extent it is this game, like I’ve had players literally pass me the puck and it goes through like I’m not even there.

Idk how easy it is to fix this but I would much rather have low scoring competitive games then these 6-5 or 7-2 games that are happening way to often.
  • Why can’t they just up pass interceptions like if you’re in position you get the puck. Like why do you get punished for playing good positional defence.

Plus this has always been an issue but not to the extent it is this game, like I’ve had players literally pass me the puck and it goes through like I’m not even there.

Idk how easy it is to fix this but I would much rather have low scoring competitive games then these 6-5 or 7-2 games that are happening way to often.

I would be ok with a little randomness in all areas of the game but overall it should feel consistent
  • Sega82mega
    1933 posts Member
    edited October 17
    When two teams that dont care about to play defense face each other the score gets pretty high, of course, it should be that way.

I usally play really tight games, 3-1, 1-0, 4-3 etc... It carrying away thoose times I take a lead with 2-3 goals and the opponent stops totaly to care about defense and only push for a quick goal.
  • EA_Aljo
    1924 posts EA Community Manager
    Why can’t they just up pass interceptions like if you’re in position you get the puck. Like why do you get punished for playing good positional defence.

We've had people complain that the game has too many auto-actions that make the game less sim. You're not the only one complaining about passes getting through defenders, but I'm curious how the sim community feels with having to take a more active role in defense. Personally, I've been playing EASHL and HUT and have focused more on breaking up the play. It's been pretty easy to read what they're going to do because they aren't trying anything else. Between my D partner and I, one of covers the carrier while the other covers the receiver. In most cases, this works really well. This is also in D 10 though as my club hasn't played a lot yet so higher divisions could very well see teams playing with more strategy instead of forcing passes and hoping for the best. Regardless, unless something changes in an update, we're all going to need to adapt to playing a different style of defense.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Why can’t they just up pass interceptions like if you’re in position you get the puck. Like why do you get punished for playing good positional defence.

We've had people complain that the game has too many auto-actions that make the game less sim.

less sim? when Ai(Opponent) attack like crazy and they make goal on 100% average,is that sim?i know you gonna protect your own job but we are not stupid. EA try to make top players happy but in fact this game is less sim than ever cause i played over 20 years.winning 33% of faceoffs ,not able to stop ai attack,Ai remove you the puck as soon a you get it cause they play in your skates. i really like the improvement in outside gameplay but the gameplay is not sim at all so please stop saying that. gameplay is unreal if playing any mode difficulty specially on superstar in squad...

• Definitely too much automation/animation, but that also goes for far more than making an automated intercept just for learning to stand in the middle and not touch anything. Still work to be done eh.
  • It is fairly easy to stop cross crease goals unless you are an experienced player who knows how to exploit your opponents defensive AI.

It's incredibly easy. You just protect the puck along the boards in the corner. Wait for your opponent to get out of position and check his defensive AI position... easy cross crease goal from behind or the side of the net.

I find the ONLY way to properly defend is to set your def strategy to either behind the net / contain the puck and collapse / staggered

That way you have room to easily stick lift your opponent when they're about to receive a pass.
    This ONLY works when you have a good connection to the game though. Anything higher than 40ms ping and you won't be able to effectively defend against anything really.
  • I think the game should stay the way it is for a while. It's not perfect but I see a lot of improvements and the game feels pretty good to me. There are some games where it still feels odd/scripted but those are few and far between.

As for cross-crease, I find it fairly easy to read the play. You can tell if they are gonna try the CC. If you get burned wide by the winger, then there's 100% chance they are gonna get a CC goal. I think defending the CC startes in the neutral zone. Keep your D back, only pressure if you have support and don't miss. If they cant get the jump on the D, not much to worry about. If they are in your zone, just watch for it, you know it's comming.
  • Sega82mega
    1933 posts Member
    edited October 25
    focus on having your player that you control in a central line..all over the ice... try to be where hes heading instead of where he is.. .Don't waste to much time being to far outside against the board just chasin.. . Feels ackward in the beginning to give them free space to skate up on the wing, in 20 you had to stop that area cause of short side, but thats not really a problem this year.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    focus on having your player that you control in a central line..all over the ice... try to be where hes heading instead of where he is.. .Don't waste to much time being to far outside against the board just chasin.. . Feels ackward in the beginning to give them free space to skate up on the wing, in 20 you had to stop that area cause of short side, but thats not really a problem this year.

That's all well in good but there is nothing you can do if the puck goes through your stick or body nothing ....this game needs work
  • My suggestion to defend the cross crease is to either

a) Discourage the puck carrier from attempting a pass by using DSS:
    SYl2ub8.gif

b) use a defender to attack the intended receiver - timing a stick lift with the pass works well
    cQaySEB.gif
    hvXVTzR.gif
  • KidShowtime1867
    1300 posts Member
    edited October 26
    Sega82mega wrote: »

That's all well in good but there is nothing you can do if the puck goes through your stick or body nothing ....this game needs work

I don't believe pucks going through bodies and sticks is contributing to the success rate of the cross crease.

I believe the issue stems from:

1. The defence META has added a lot of responsibility on the user to prevent the play from developing rather than stopping it while it's being executed. A cross crease play - for the most part - originates by developing speed through the neutral zone. Players are having trouble adapting to this - but it will come with time. That being said - the most often case I see of being able to capitalize and score a cross crease is when my opponents incorrectly attack with their defence:
    CccxdUV.gif

2. There are issues with the A.I. handling open players in front of the net:
    mtDOsvA.gif

and sometimes multiple A.I. having difficulties tracking players in front of the net:
    w2bMdC1.gif

Also - to play devil's advocate - the cross crease isn't always a 100% play:
    gNsHuNZ.gif

• Sega82mega
    1933 posts Member
    edited October 26
    My suggestion to defend the cross crease is to either

a) Discourage the puck carrier from attempting a pass by using DSS:
    SYl2ub8.gif

b) use a defender to attack the intended receiver - timing a stick lift with the pass works well
    cQaySEB.gif
    hvXVTzR.gif

Hehe that first one.. 'don't you dare come near me with your cross creases'... If the DSS could speak.

Good tips, and yes, you can basically say, cross creases is a product of a overcommitted defense. Either if it is a cross crease or another type of goal, if you open up your defense, you are taken a risk.

*But just how you move your D on that 'A example, I dont think everyone is use to play that way. But now, it's defenetly a good time to practice on that.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

I don't believe pucks going through bodies and sticks is contributing to the success rate of the cross crease.

I believe the issue stems from:

1. The defence META has added a lot of responsibility on the user to prevent the play from developing rather than stopping it while it's being executed. A cross crease play - for the most part - originates by developing speed through the neutral zone. Players are having trouble adapting to this - but it will come with time. That being said - the most often case I see of being able to capitalize and score a cross crease is when my opponents incorrectly attack with their defence:
    CccxdUV.gif

2. There are issues with the A.I. handling open players in front of the net:
    mtDOsvA.gif

and sometimes multiple A.I. having difficulties tracking players in front of the net:
    w2bMdC1.gif

Also - to play devil's advocate - the cross crease isn't always a 100% play:
    gNsHuNZ.gif

Good stuff, brochacho. I like it