EA Forums - Banner

Is initiating a net battle more consistent yet?

Janikka
42 posts Member
edited October 16
Back in NHL 13 (I think) when tie-ups in front of the net were introduced, it was thought to be overpowered by many players, and they weren't exactly wrong. However, one crucial aspect of the feature that I think has been missing across all the current-generation NHL games is consistency in initiating these tie-ups. I've played a ton of games and have yet to find a reliable logic to engaging an opponent in front of the net as a defenseman with either the stick tie-up (the X button on the PS4) or the body tie-up (the triangle button). The former is somewhat more consistent, but even then if I try to use it, there are many instances per game where I see no reason why my player wouldn't tie up a stick and yet will not do it.

Has this been improved in NHL 21 at all?

Replies

• Untouched
  • Janikka
    42 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Thanks for answering the question, jrago73. That's disappointing. Tie-ups and jostling in front of the net is a huge part of hockey, and for it to be so inconsistent in these games pretty much breaks the feature.

We have pinning against the boards which works fine and isn't too unbalanced. Even if they didn't make tying up in front of the net very effective, triggering it should at least be consistent.
  • Just to add to all this, by the way, I realize that this may still be on me and I'm just doing something wrong (with regard to positioning or timing) whenever I'm unable to trigger a tie-up. I've just never been able to find a consistent way to trigger it, but maybe it does exist.
  • EA_Aljo
    1924 posts EA Community Manager
    Janikka wrote: »
    Just to add to all this, by the way, I realize that this may still be on me and I'm just doing something wrong (with regard to positioning or timing) whenever I'm unable to trigger a tie-up. I've just never been able to find a consistent way to trigger it, but maybe it does exist.

You can only initiate tie-ups when the player you're trying to tie up isn't moving. I've personally found the stick tie-up is the easier method so I stick to that. Just holding down A or X, depending on your console, has come in very handy for taking that player out of the play.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Just to add to all this, by the way, I realize that this may still be on me and I'm just doing something wrong (with regard to positioning or timing) whenever I'm unable to trigger a tie-up. I've just never been able to find a consistent way to trigger it, but maybe it does exist.

You can only initiate tie-ups when the player you're trying to tie up isn't moving. I've personally found the stick tie-up is the easier method so I stick to that. Just holding down A or X, depending on your console, has come in very handy for taking that player out of the play.

Does the player not moving in this case mean not moving even a little bit or does the mechanic have some leniency to it?
  • It seems to be improved to me. I use it all the time. You have to have strength attributes I think to have more success.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Does the player not moving in this case mean not moving even a little bit or does the mechanic have some leniency to it?

They need to basically be standing still. They might be able to be very slightly gliding. I'll watch for it next time I play, but I just hold down the A (X on PS4) and it initiates when their speed is low enough.

They need to basically be standing still. They might be able to be very slightly gliding. I'll watch for it next time I play, but I just hold down the A (X on PS4) and it initiates when their speed is low enough.

EA, Please dont ever change this. This is a pretty accurate aspect of the game. Skaters that are moving through the slot can not be interfered with (although some jostling/contact is allowed). "tie ups" really only happen when an offensive skater camps out in the slot and is trying to position for tips/rebounds/etc... Its almost a 2 way dance where both participants are willing. I think it works fine in game.

There's already way to many ways to get away with interference in this game. Making it any easier to tie up players in scoring areas would become "meta" feature.

Defenders have to play defense. They can't just rely on hitting one simple button and tying up players indefinitely.
  • Agree with jmwalsh8888. It would be preferable if the cpu ai would be more limited in where and for how long it can use this, as well.
  • Davanial wrote: »
    Agree with jmwalsh8888. It would be preferable if the cpu ai would be more limited in where and for how long it can use this, as well.

I actually sometimes get tied up on offense intentionally when I'm playing with a skilled buddy because a tied up defender is no threat to the puckhandler or a pass.

EA, Please dont ever change this. This is a pretty accurate aspect of the game. Skaters that are moving through the slot can not be interfered with (although some jostling/contact is allowed). "tie ups" really only happen when an offensive skater camps out in the slot and is trying to position for tips/rebounds/etc... Its almost a 2 way dance where both participants are willing. I think it works fine in game.

There's already way to many ways to get away with interference in this game. Making it any easier to tie up players in scoring areas would become "meta" feature.

Defenders have to play defense. They can't just rely on hitting one simple button and tying up players indefinitely.

I'm fine with the way it is, to be clear. I don't want to be able to spam the tie-up regardless of what the forward is doing. I just want consistency so that you know what conditions must be met to initiate the tie-up every time (so if the forward standing still is one of those conditions, I'm fine with that).
  • If you play smart defensively you can back skate and position yourself in front of an offensive player who is closing in on the net for a one timer/pass setup. Simply back-skate in front of him and obstruct his forward movement. Once he is not in motion you can do a net-front tie up, and or stick lift. I highly recommend the tie up as the lift gets penalties often depending on the circumstance.
  • Never really noticed before, but the CPU AI seems to be able to initiate a tie up whilst my own AI player is still in motion. I assume that's just another advantage they give the AI to compensate for it being... AI.
  • EA_Aljo
    Davanial wrote: »
    Never really noticed before, but the CPU AI seems to be able to initiate a tie up whilst my own AI player is still in motion. I assume that's just another advantage they give the AI to compensate for it being... AI.

They shouldn't be able to do that. Can you get some video for me?
  • Lol no, I'm inept. I don't think it's a big deal. The cpu can probably register that exact moment to initiate the tie up, whereas the players still appear to be in motion to me. It wasn't as though the cpu grabbed a dude in full hustle or anything like that.