EA Forums - Banner

21 is basically the same game as the last 4-5 seasons

Prev13
Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

EASHL could use some new logos and jerseys.
Retro logos are always good and some new creative custom logos would be nice.

Again attributes need a comeback

Just the little things that probably take 2 minutes to add could make alot of people happy.

Welcome to NHL 2019 and 3 quarters. Such a disappointment. If EA would just do what the people ask for I'm pretty sure game sales would be go up and remain stable for years to come. You keep putting out the exact same stuff the more people are likely to leave .

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

Just the little things that probably take 2 minutes to add could make alot of people happy.

Welcome to NHL 2019 and 3 quarters. Such a disappointment. If EA would just do what the people ask for I'm pretty sure game sales would be go up and remain stable for years to come. You keep putting out the exact same stuff the more people are likely to leave .

If it were as easy as you think, it would have been done. Especially something like attributes is going to take a major overhaul of the current system. It's not a 2 minute update.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

If it were as easy as you think, it would have been done. Especially something like attributes is going to take a major overhaul of the current system. It's not a 2 minute update.

We haven't had any new logos added
    Any new jerseys. I know this can be patched into the game because it's been done before. It the little things people ask for that we don't get.

Attributes have been wanted for years and still haven't been brought back. We just get the same system over and over again. It's literally the same game as last year with a ovi on the cover 3 new dekes and we got practice mode back which has already been in the game and taken out because of????

Attributes were taking out because of? The dumb card system that clearly didn't work 350 games to get legend 3. When all ea had to do to make the attribute system work was to take the card system out and give use the attributes on day one and let us Unlock boost packs. It's been said that all attributes work now so just give us the attribute points and get rid of the trait system.

Why am I unlocking goalie attributes when I'm playing ones. This is another thing that needs to be addressed. If I'm not playing goal there should be no reason I unlock goalie traits. Same with if I'm playing EASHL why am I unlocking stuff for ones. I don't want sweat pants for EASHL .
    Hockey bags need to be created for each mode.

Aljo thanks for responding hopefully the community can be heard eventually
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Any new jerseys. I know this can be patched into the game because it's been done before. It the little things people ask for that we don't get.

Attributes have been wanted for years and still haven't been brought back. We just get the same system over and over again. It's literally the same game as last year with a ovi on the cover 3 new dekes and we got practice mode back which has already been in the game and taken out because of????

Attributes were taking out because of? The dumb card system that clearly didn't work 350 games to get legend 3. When all ea had to do to make the attribute system work was to take the card system out and give use the attributes on day one and let us Unlock boost packs. It's been said that all attributes work now so just give us the attribute points and get rid of the trait system.

Why am I unlocking goalie attributes when I'm playing ones. This is another thing that needs to be addressed. If I'm not playing goal there should be no reason I unlock goalie traits. Same with if I'm playing EASHL why am I unlocking stuff for ones. I don't want sweat pants for EASHL .

The current progression system provides an even playing field where skill matters most. The previous system had people put points in speed and shooting mainly. They ignored everything else because they felt only certain attributes mattered. Which means you a ton of people running the same exact build. Then, you have L3 guys going up against players who haven't reached that level yet. The advantage wasn't as much about skill as you had the bonuses from L3 helping you out.

I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it provides for a more skill-based game than the previous system.

The current progression system provides an even playing field where skill matters most. The previous system had people put points in speed and shooting mainly. They ignored everything else because they felt only certain attributes mattered. Which means you a ton of people running the same exact build. Then, you have L3 guys going up against players who haven't reached that level yet. The advantage wasn't as much about skill as you had the bonuses from L3 helping you out.

I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it provides for a more skill-based game than the previous system.

Do get rid of the card system and give us the attributes from day one. Let us Unlock the boost packs like we do for traits. You have the same builds being used with traits . Sniper 160 wrist shot and acc . Attributes gave the player control instead of having cookie cutter builds . If everyone has attributes on day one then there is no issue. The issue was the card system not the attributes. Lose the card system all fixed
  • h74eo5beqjju.jpg

Just saying. Also people were asked about custom music let's bring that back as well
  • Eashl was made to give the user control taking away attributes stick flex blade curve all that limits the user control.

Enough about attributes although I hope you bring them back.

Let's talk about what can be patched in.

Jersey logos and jerseys...

How about the custom music for rinks and what not . Not sure if that can be patched in as an option but it would be better than the terrible music on the game.

• EA_Aljo
    Eashl was made to give the user control taking away attributes stick flex blade curve all that limits the user control.

How about the custom music for rinks and what not . Not sure if that can be patched in as an option but it would be better than the terrible music on the game.

Jerseys and logos require licensing rights. Unless they are custom made by us of course. Custom music would be great as well. As far as patching it all in, that's a lot more work than you think. Especially custom music. That requires a whole system for managing music. When it comes down to what the dev team works on, things like logos and custom music don't have the same priority as gameplay, new modes, tuning, etc. I'd love to have custom music, but I can live without it if it means the focus is more on gameplay.
  • ggent55
    1 posts New member
    [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2161576"][quote="2021NHL2021;c-2161556"][quote="EA_Aljo;c-2161532"][quote="2021NHL2021;d-264621"]Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

[/quote]

If it were as easy as you think, it would have been done. Especially something like attributes is going to take a major overhaul of the current system. It's not a 2 minute update.[/quote]

Aljo thanks for responding hopefully the community can be heard eventually[/quote]

I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it provides for a more skill-based game than the previous system.[/quote]

[quote="EA_Aljo;c-2161576"][quote="2021NHL2021;c-2161556"][quote="EA_Aljo;c-2161532"][quote="2021NHL2021;d-264621"]Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

[/quote]

If it were as easy as you think, it would have been done. Especially something like attributes is going to take a major overhaul of the current system. It's not a 2 minute update.[/quote]

Aljo thanks for responding hopefully the community can be heard eventually[/quote]

I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it provides for a more skill-based game than the previous system.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is just so incorrect, 2k has progression in their player lock multiplayer, and yes while some games are a complete mismatch it makes players have to get better. This system promotes nothing but 5’7” 160lb danglers snipers and playmakers. Why should I have to sacrifice size to be able to skate? It makes every single game the exact same, rush rush rush.
    Eashl was made to give the user control taking away attributes stick flex blade curve all that limits the user control.

Jerseys and logos require licensing rights. Unless they are custom made by us of course. Custom music would be great as well. As far as patching it all in, that's a lot more work than you think. Especially custom music. That requires a whole system for managing music. When it comes down to what the dev team works on, things like logos and custom music don't have the same priority as gameplay, new modes, tuning, etc. I'd love to have custom music, but I can live without it if it means the focus is more on gameplay.

As far of gameplay sure there are alot of things needed. Hitting and injuries need to be fixed
    The goalie being a brickwall needs to be addressed. Goalies abilities to poke check need to be turned down . Goalies abilities to pass through player when a team calls the puck out needs more tuning. Poke checks through bodies needs to be fixed. I could go on and on. I'd rather have attributes and custom music over the Lacrosse goal and between the legs one timer. Not sure why that had to be added.
  • All things mentioned above and the player likeness! Or at least give us a better create a player editor where we can change the facial proportions to get the likeness as close as possible. NHL 21 still has the same face options we’ve had the last 8-10 years or something like that. Yes, there are 200 faces to choose from. 90% are unusable and they don’t even look like humans. And like 1/4 of them are the same faces with different skin tone. Why can’t we even decide their skin tone?

How do you know that it would have been done?
  • EA_Aljo

As far of gameplay sure there are alot of things needed. Hitting and injuries need to be fixed
    The goalie being a brickwall needs to be addressed. Goalies abilities to poke check need to be turned down . Goalies abilities to pass through player when a team calls the puck out needs more tuning. Poke checks through bodies needs to be fixed. I could go on and on. I'd rather have attributes and custom music over the Lacrosse goal and between the legs one timer. Not sure why that had to be added.

I agree with the goalie passing the puck out. I'd like to see that less affective, but there's nothing that actually forces those passes to be successful. If you have players covering those passes, they can put them back.

I don't have any other details on attributes. I definitely understand you want them back. You've made numerous requests for them. If they return, we'll have to wait for a future game as the chances of this being added to 21 are slim to none. That's going to require a major overhaul that I don't see happening post-launch.
  • EA_Aljo

How do you know that it would have been done?

You're right. I can't guarantee they would have been done, but if something was truly a 2 minute fix, chances are good it would be done if it was good for the game. People here like to claim everything is an easy fix that can be quickly done. That couldn't be further from the truth as it's extremely rare that's the case.
  • I think you've taken the 2 minute fix to heart lol.
    I just know there are adds that can be made quickly. Like new logos and jerseys. I'm not sure how the licensing works but here are some good ones that would be great to add.

EASHL customizable logos.
    Mighty Ducks
    Old tampa bay
    Kachina Coyote
    Pooh bear Bruins
    Old school penguins logos
    I know I'm missing some but that's a start

As far as jerseys would be awesome if we could get the Quebec fleur de lis template added Tampa old water/wave template bruins pooh bear template

Please add if you have ideas

If this isn't possible you should add more ea custom logos ..

As far as attributes I bring this up all the time because that's what EASHL is about the ability to customize. The Attribute system was fine it was the card system that made it unfair.
    It would take me 3 months to play 350 games and get the L3 card. Some people had 350 games played in 2 weeks .
    Custom music would be great add as well. For arenas and menu
    The ability to save our team strategies would be huge instead of having to set them before each game.

One thing that really need to happen is each Mode
    Has to have their own hockey bags
    I'm so sick of getting Hoodies and sweats for ones while I'm playing EASHL. I opened 20 bags last night and got more stuff for ones than for Eashl.
    Same with traits I unlocked goalie traits as a player?
    Hockey bags need to have a mass unlock button where you can unlock every bag at once instead of opening one by one.
  • Most people on the forums have no idea how difficult it is to code things in. And trying to do it and not break anything in the process, that's even more challenging.

They seem to think that the code is all in one file but if they looked at even just basic web code, they'll see it's not that easy. A basic website needs HTML just to function, CSS to add style to a website and more advanced websites need stuff like PHP to help them run. All of these require their own files, and then there are asset and image folders.

That's just the simple version, websites are much more complex than that. I can't imagine how tricky video game files are. I'm sure they're even more complex with thousands of lines of code, animation, art assets, etc. That's a crazy amount of work.
  • Most people on the forums have no idea how difficult it is to code things in. And trying to do it and not break anything in the process, that's even more challenging.

They seem to think that the code is all in one file but if they looked at even just basic web code, they'll see it's not that easy. A basic website needs HTML just to function, CSS to add style to a website and more advanced websites need stuff like PHP to help them run. All of these require their own files, and then there are asset and image folders.

That's just the simple version, websites are much more complex than that. I can't imagine how tricky video game files are. I'm sure they're even more complex with thousands of lines of code, animation, art assets, etc. That's a crazy amount of work.

I don't think anyone is arguing this. But over the last 6 years now from 15-21 there's been plenty of time to bring back what most fans want and thats the ability to customize their player the way they like add custom music again which I've seen lots of people ask for .. 09-14 were the best years of NHL and then something happened in 15 and it really went down hill. 15 was the worst it has gotten a bit better but not much. I feel the trait system in this game is almost useless. The gain is not worth the penalty on this game.
  • EA_Aljo
    edited October 2020
    Most people on the forums have no idea how difficult it is to code things in. And trying to do it and not break anything in the process, that's even more challenging.

I don't think anyone is arguing this. But over the last 6 years now from 15-21 there's been plenty of time to bring back what most fans want and thats the ability to customize their player the way they like add custom music again which I've seen lots of people ask for .. 09-14 were the best years of NHL and then something happened in 15 and it really went down hill. 15 was the worst it has gotten a bit better but not much. I feel the trait system in this game is almost useless. The gain is not worth the penalty on this game.

Saying it's what most fans want is also not totally true. While I haven't exactly seen a poll that covers everyone. Clappy's poll had less than 5000 responses. The community here is a fraction of the overall playerbase. I know it's easy to make the assumption when your friends agree with you. It then seems like everyone wants the same thing. Just like I can say that because my friends prefer the current system, it means everyone wants that. My point is, I get you want attributes and so do many others, but it may not be as sweeping as you think it is. Also, while community requests are heavily considered, it's never a guarantee that those requests are going to happen. So, while the same thing may be getting requested repeatedly by the same handful of people in the forums, that doesn't mean those changes will be made. A huge amount of community feedback has been implemented though.
    Most people on the forums have no idea how difficult it is to code things in. And trying to do it and not break anything in the process, that's even more challenging.

Saying it's what most fans want is also not totally true. While I haven't exactly seen a poll that covers everyone. Clappy's poll had less than 5000 responses. The community here is a fraction of the overall playerbase. I know it's easy to make the assumption when your friends agree with you. It then seems like everyone wants the same thing. Just like I can say that because my friends prefer the current system, it means everyone wants that. My point is, I get you want attributes and so do many others, but it may not be as sweeping as you think it is. Also, while community requests are heavily considered, it's never a guarantee that those requests are going to happen. So, while the same thing may be getting requested repeatedly by the same handful of people in the forums, that doesn't mean those changes will be made. A huge amount of community feedback has been implemented though.

Do you have examples of community feedback that has been implemented?

I get this But at a 80%-20% poll out of 5000 that's a huge gap. This should give you an idea of what's wanted. I think what you should do is give the players who want attributes what they want and if people still want to use the same cookie cutter builds given by EA they can use those as well.
    Like I said the issue people had with attributes was not with the Attributes themselves but how you had to grind to earn them. 350 games to most people is months work while you had a lot of people who could get there in 2 weeks. If the card system were taken out and attributes were given to us on Day 1 I doubt anyone would have a problem.
    People say oh the players were O.P not really of everyone had all the attributes everyone was on the same playing field. It's the person fault for making a terrible build at that point.

Even with the cookie cutter builds you see a majority of people use the small sniper with speed and acc. So you're really not preventing what people were doing back in the day with the attributes.

For EA to say this is the build this is how you have to play with this build in order for it to work is insane.
    Playing Hockey my whole life I have a style I play and it's pretty hard to get that style with what you given us.

No Card system. Attributes points on Day one. Boost packs unlocked over the first 30 ranks just like traits are being unlocked. No buying boost. Problem solved. Everyone is on an even play field everyone gets to creat the player that fits them not what they're forced to use.

80-20 out of 5k I highly doubt the trait system people would over take the people who want attributes back.
    Another reason no always bring up the attribute system alot is because it gets people thinking. The more people who want them should get them.

My only worry is if EA ever brought the attributes back I'm sure they'd ruin it somehow. "We brought back attributes but there's a new twist that makes the system useless" something like that

I still haven't figured out why EA hasn't put in a menu that shows you what each attribute really means. Like Def and offense of awareness and strength no one actually knows what they do or what they're used for its just there.

Also EA needs to bring back Faceoff traits or attributes. The system you have now is flawed and is basically a 50/50 toss up at this point.

Specialties should be shown how much the specialty trait effects the attribute. Instead of just using something that's meaningless

• [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2161765"][quote="2021NHL2021;c-2161752"][quote="BruinsHockey08;c-2161743"]Most people on the forums have no idea how difficult it is to code things in. And trying to do it and not break anything in the process, that's even more challenging.

That's just the simple version, websites are much more complex than that. I can't imagine how tricky video game files are. I'm sure they're even more complex with thousands of lines of code, animation, art assets, etc. That's a crazy amount of work. [/quote]

I don't think anyone is arguing this. But over the last 6 years now from 15-21 there's been plenty of time to bring back what most fans want and thats the ability to customize their player the way they like add custom music again which I've seen lots of people ask for .. 09-14 were the best years of NHL and then something happened in 15 and it really went down hill. 15 was the worst it has gotten a bit better but not much. I feel the trait system in this game is almost useless. The gain is not worth the penalty on this game. [/quote]

Saying it's what most fans want is also not totally true. While I haven't exactly seen a poll that covers everyone. Clappy's poll had less than 5000 responses. The community here is a fraction of the overall playerbase. I know it's easy to make the assumption when your friends agree with you. It then seems like everyone wants the same thing. Just like I can say that because my friends prefer the current system, it means everyone wants that. My point is, I get you want attributes and so do many others, but it may not be as sweeping as you think it is. Also, while community requests are heavily considered, it's never a guarantee that those requests are going to happen. So, while the same thing may be getting requested repeatedly by the same handful of people in the forums, that doesn't mean those changes will be made. A huge amount of community feedback has been implemented though.[/quote]

You do realize you have contradicted yourself multiple times? This is why we don't trust the Devs and EA when it comes to this franchise. We get nothing but excuses when the community provides facts. Seeing how this "new" installment is the same as the last 5 years with an addition of just couple of moves it is not worth a buy. It has been over 16 years since the last real innovative hockey game had come out from EA. Your "this community is a fraction of overall base" comment is just another rhetoric EA loves to use to try and win an argument. On twitter EA loves to call its forum their "biggest" fraction of player base only when it wants to win an argument by hoping that no one will fact check them. NHL 21 has managed to be worse with gameplay and its mechanics then the previous years.