EA Forums - Banner

Hopefully BAP lives up to the hype

Replies

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    So after uninstalling it, giving it a couple days to breathe, reinstalling it to finish the EA Access trial, I came to the verdict that the new BAP is in fact better overall but it is really lipstick on a pig.

AI teammates on D are often lost. Teammates are constantly crossing over all the time ... yadda yadda.

Forced fights are more annoying than ever. 3/4 of my games had me force fighting after clean hits.

Coach calls for line changes when they're coming down 2 on 1 on me.

Coach feedback still wants me to do spinoramas and loose dekes to up my grade as opposed to just playing fundamentally sound as a 2way Dman. Hits and goals are basically all that matter still.

I scored my first career goal in my third game but every game afterwards Ray Ferraro would mention how I'm trying so hard to get my first one.

Some of the conversation system is buggy. Sometimes the humble answer I want to give is listed as "Star" so I end up losing reputation.

I dunno. I like the radio call ins and stuff, I like the cutscenes, I basically started skipping coach taps on the shoulder because they got wicked repetitive.

I give it a B. I can see myself buying this game in a couple months to continue my journey and hopefully some things will be ironed out but it's not a day one for me.
  • I'm playing my first game now, it's just after midnight release!. I'll report back with my experience after some games. I have been playing BAP for years and hope this change is enough to make it feel immersive, real and a actual valid game mode.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I started a BAP career with Euro tournament, and it was strange: I played two games, and we won both, shook hands with the losers - and then the tournament was out, and apparently we dropped out, judging by some commentary?

And another odd thing, I scored goals in both games, yet I was credited with '1st goal in tournament' in the second game as well, as if the first game didn't count?

In the games, the transitions from gameplay to skip to next change flowed pretty smoothly at first, but as I played more games, it seems like they got a little choppy and sluggish?

This was on PS4 Pro.
    Post edited by Sgt_Kelso on
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Another problem, this is with your team gameplay: they lose all the boardplay situations, when they're tied up by the CPU players. ALL OF THEM - and they dont try to kick the puck to team-mate or whatever, unless you call for a pass. Completely useless bunch.

And we all know how the CPU just LOVES to grab the opponent against the boards.

Although otherwise your team plays a little better than last year, especially on offence.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Another problem, this is with your team gameplay: they lose all the boardplay situations, when they're tied up by the CPU players. ALL OF THEM - and they dont try to kick the puck to team-mate or whatever, unless you call for a pass. Completely useless bunch.

Although otherwise your team plays a little better than last year, especially on offence.

What I really hate is any time I see the ai , in eashl, go towards a loose puck on boards. They always turn it over. They could get there 5 secs before anyone but they still just go straight to board play and then lose the puck even if there was plenty of time, space, open teammates, etc... Been that way for years. That's why rather than assume they will be smart I sprint in as well and spam call for pass.
  • I think be a pro is great fun, good start my only complaint is you feel like you have mcdavid speed as a 75 overall, i scored a goal just purely holding burst between two d men who never bothered to stop me, that or they didn't see me because you have lightning speed at 87 attribute.

50 gp, superstar difficulty, max ai learning, max strategy, lowered fatigue recovery, (full sim stats) rocking that 124 points, my passing attribute is maxed at 99 halfway through rookie year lol
  • What I really hate is any time I see the ai , in eashl, go towards a loose puck on boards. They always turn it over. They could get there 5 secs before anyone but they still just go straight to board play and then lose the puck even if there was plenty of time, space, open teammates, etc... Been that way for years. That's why rather than assume they will be smart I sprint in as well and spam call for pass.

The CPU is programmed to take a direct route to the puck and doesnt take momentum into account. Where a normal player will swing around to pick up the puck and not lose stride, the CPU goes straight in and crashes into the boards, then eventually tied up.

@Sgt_Kelso I too noticed the sim to shift sluggishness. Also on Pro.
  • JayMac011 wrote: »
    I think be a pro is great fun, good start my only complaint is you feel like you have mcdavid speed as a 75 overall, i scored a goal just purely holding burst between two d men who never bothered to stop me, that or they didn't see me because you have lightning speed at 87 attribute.

Definitely didnt feel that playing as a 6'1 205lbs two way-defenceman. I had to pick my pivots wisely, got burned a lot. Definately couldn't keep up to to toe with top tier skaters. Allstar difficulty.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

This is as truthful as it gets. However, on the opponent side, they will cycle you perfectly until they find an opening, then rush it up the ice.

Your team breakouts are just terrible. Getting the puck and usually always curling back towards the boards to get held and then lose the puck. I'll agree the offense is much better, but the D is bad. I thought it was only going to be at CHL level, but it's the same at NHL level too.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I thought it was only going to be at CHL level, but it's the same at NHL level too.

This. At first I was so disappointed with how my AI played and assumed the difficulty I was on was just too hard against my lower rated CHL teammates. Sadly it continued at the NHL ranks as well.
  • Be A Pro is definitely revamped this year with some really major improvements. I'm not sure how well designed the salary bonuses are, but most of it is a great improvement with various commentary from radio hosts that does a good job of describing things. They certainly made a big fuss about me beating 92 goals in my rookie season (since they took away be-a-NHL-Player I've traditionally played on really easy to boost scores for two seasons before being drafted). Only misgendered my player once this year. That actually brings me to the fallback - while you can start in Europe, you cannot actually play seasons in the CHL or Europe, just some silly fake tournament with one game a week. My player was drafted into the NHL at 16 - which is kinda fun for right now, but wildly unrealistic since the agreement with the CHL prohibits that.

I set up my player as being from Detroit, United States, but when I finally get to Little Caesar's Arena - drafted by the Rangers - I for some reason am inexplicably booed. We hadn't played the Wings before that, and my hometown hates me because New York drafted first and Detroit drafted fourth.

There is good reason to keep investing in the mode, as there is lots of room to improve (such as giving us access to a wardrobe and some body sliders as my player seems to have AA cups, and they really have to get off their **** and actually make those hometown things mean something, but it is a great improvement overall. You do feel much more like you are there - though I wish I could design more with life choices and the like: dedicate time to family or dating or teammates. I'm doubtful that we will be able to build lasting relationships with teammates through this mode, to be honest. I'm also surprised that there was zero commentary about the first female player to play in a regulation game.
  • Also, trying these neat new dekes near the boards is pretty much hopeless against the 'grabby' CPU... you're stuck, the moment your anywhere near the boards.
  • Prior to NHL 21 I haven't played BAP since what, NHL 16? I fired up 20 last night and started a BAP and in all honesty a lot of stuff I liked in the 21 BAP were the same as 20. Skill tree, experience etc... Sure it's missing the cutscenes and little things but at least BAP 20 is ironed out. BAP 21 has a lot of bugs.
  • The junior season leading up to the entry draft was vital to this mode. How are scouts supposed to get an assessment of you if you play in 2-6+ games in a tournament?
    Why do I get drafted 1st overall playing only 4 games in a tournament?

There’s so many bugs with the conversations and challenges, and milestone/award tracking.
    Lots of bugs and missing features. Sorely disappointed.

It was a cool idea and I was really hoping they would do it right. But they just missed the mark.

Not everyone wants to be hyped up right off the bat as “the next generational talent”

It’s more fun to earn your spot. Earn that title of next generational talent.

I would refund this game in a heartbeat if I could, as I only play BAP and FM, with FM also having tons of **** bugs and missing features
  • It’s amazing how underdeveloped this game is
  • It’s amazing how underdeveloped this game is

It really is! For many years finally thought it has something new and good on it but it's very clear the BAP not working like it should.
  • [quote="refined98;c-2162851"]

It really is! For many years finally thought it has something new and good on it but it's very clear the BAP not working like it should.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m bummed because I pretty essentially only play BAP and FM. Both of these modes are bugged and currently unplayable.

Really sucks. Wish I could refund
  • Coming to post after some play time, the additions are far from enough to make this mode whole. It was a bare bones shell of a game mode before. But these new additions only make it a glass 1/4 full. Why can't EA just clone the 2K " Live The Life " or " Career Mode " or whatever it's called. The conversations and dialogue options are already looping for me after only a handful of games. And why would anyone care about the whole car/house superficial stuff?. Give us player bonding levels and sliders, something that actually impacts my gameplay. How about if I pass more to someone they pass more to me and our bond increases?. Or if I step up and challenge someone who threw a bad hit on my team-mate his bond level goes up for me, etc. There was so much potential here, and it seems like they added as little as possible to jazz up the mode for trailers and such. When in reality if you play BAP for anything beyond a day or two you notice how bland, repetitive and unimportant a lot of these additions are. I mean how hard would it have been to add several hundred dialogue and conversation options?. It's all animations and fonts. That's it. Yet there is only 20-30 of them, and they loop after only hours of play. :/
  • Yup, you’re very right on that one. It’s annoying how repetitive it gets. There’s nothing new after an hour of playing.
    You don’t get to play in the minors. You only get two choices of teams whenever you hit FA. You don’t get to request a trade. It’s just pretty bad. There’s a lot of missing features. And very shameful they took out the good features
  • Alright time for San Diego Studios or 2K to make an NHL game, I wouldn't care if if SDS mad an NHL: The Show.... or if theIr NHL game was Exactly like MLB.......