EA Forums - Banner

21 is basically the same game as the last 4-5 seasons

13Next

Replies

• If you think this is just a copy paste of the last game you mustn’t playing these games very much
  • If you think this is just a copy paste of the last game you mustn’t playing these games very much

Which game modes do you play? I wouldn't necessarily say there is a "copy paste", but as I go back to my previous posts from NHL 19 (I took a year off from NHL), I am still running into the same exact issues. Own goals because AI kicks the puck into their own net after a rebound, defensive AI skates out of position and leave high scoring areas wide open, just in general, online AI are pretty dumb. No matter what strategy I set my team to, the AI are always are skating like they are a Pee-Wee hockey team, and yes, I know I am playing with the Sabres, so they aren't that far off...

But I've already spoken multiple times about the presentation qualities and the menus seems exactly the same and is just as laggy as the past. So though this game may be different than previous years, the quality of the game has had little improvement.

And then I play a game and this happens....
    https://youtu.be/SWQiln7iOBA

This is not considered a goal. This hasn't been considered a goal for YEARS. The whistle blows as the puck enters the net and the play by play says "the refs lost site of the puck". And it always seems to occur on a game deciding goal.

I stopped playing after a few months after 2019 was released because it seems like the game never builds off the previous year. I figured I would wait 2 versions to get a new and improved game, but yet again, I am disappointed. EA adds plenty of new features, but there are too many glaring issues that have occurred year after year and I think that is why I, as well as many others, are so frustrated with this series.

• I mean people making excuses but they’ve been selling less copies every year acting like people are okay with the game
  • dezdarko wrote: »
    Go play NHL 15 and then play NHL 21, you'll learn to appreciate the strides this game has made in just 6 years.

If you already haven't, go play from NHL 99 to NHL 06. NHL 15 to now is basically the same game that has been recycled with minor additions. NHL04 had so much that it showed the DEVS at the time poured all their sweat and tears into it.

B) th7mbs up
  • Oslik1000
    473 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Oslik1000 wrote: »
    dezdarko wrote: »
    Go play NHL 15 and then play NHL 21, you'll learn to appreciate the strides this game has made in just 6 years.

If you already haven't, go play from NHL 99 to NHL 06. NHL 15 to now is basically the same game that has been recycled with minor additions. NHL04 had so much that it showed the DEVS at the time poured all their sweat and tears into it.

B) th7mbs up

i like how nhl18 (ea play)AI logic is overall better than nhl21 :)
    nhl18 >>> in attack zone you have not long time with your defenseman for any "special" move
    nhl21 >>> in attack zone you have plenty of time for "create" anything. you can sleep too :)))))))))

Not much different
  • JoyToTheWorld14
    51 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in.

ALL EA Sports annual releases (football, hockey, etc.) are large patches in a box. They only time it's re-written entirely is when it's being designed for a new hardware platform.

This isn't Rockstar Games...it's EA. You're dealing with a publisher who has to answer to stockholders, and all the stockholders care about is that EA's releases generate at least the same amount of revenue as the previous year, with minimal investment overhead.

You're about 10 years behind me. Be patient...you'll get there. ;)
  • kezz123
    647 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

EASHL could use some new logos and jerseys.
    Retro logos are always good and some new creative custom logos would be nice.

Again attributes need a comeback

Just the little things that probably take 2 minutes to add could make alot of people happy.

Welcome to NHL 2019 and 3 quarters. Such a disappointment. If EA would just do what the people ask for I'm pretty sure game sales would be go up and remain stable for years to come. You keep putting out the exact same stuff the more people are likely to leave .

How is anyone still acting surprised that its still the same game?
    Does anyone still, in this day and age, believe that a development team can create a new game in 1 year? In one year, you might have the equivalent of 1-3 patches.

If I was to define exactly what this is, I guess patch is not the right word...its much less than an expansion which takes years to develop, its more than one single patch...its basically a content update.

So essentially you had nhl 15, nhl 15.1, nhl 15.2, nhl 15.3, nhl 15.4...etc...etc.. And thats if you are generous and calling nhl 15 a new game which it most definitely wasnt. NHL 15 was basically an expansion to nhl 14....same bugs meaning same core code it just had new updated graphics and other stuff so it was more robust but far from a full new game.

So it boggles my mind that people still are willing to pay full price of a AAA title each year for a content update that most companies give for free, and some might charge like $5 for.

This is the REAL value of what you are buying each year....maybe $5.

So yah...might be worth a consideration before investing further into this system that rewards nobody except EA execs. It doesnt reward the customer, it doesnt reward the employees who get crapped on all year....its only free money for the higher ups at EA.
  • So one of the main reasons we can't edit attributes is because they want to create an even playing field? Should EA adjust HUT so that everyone has an equal team then? We will just pick from a large pool of players for each position and not go over cap? Or is that different somehow??? If putting everyone on even playing field is important then HUT REALLY needs looked at and adjusted!

The other reason is people just go full speed and shot? If other attributes are important then that would be a bad idea, no?

Bringing back attributes would not be difficult.. imagine this..
    We open up WoC for the first time..
    The intro is very similar to the BaP intro. Unlike offline BAP he has no idea who we are, we played in some unscouted small town. After he says we're playing pond hockey he gives a quick scouting report on us to the team we choose (this is when we edit our player) we choose position(s) size, and pick a specialty. Our size decides our speed and physical thresholds. Basically you could be a fast big guy but it would cost 3-5 points per speed stat after 82 speed if you're a giant and that would leave you with almost nothing left.. likewise if you're a smaller guy then around speed 90 it costs a lot and also your physical stats would be at a premium. (faceoff attributes points are locked, everyone no matter their position gets a 90) after we create our guy say he's a 65 ovr. Building our guy to 85 ovr. Should not take too long, you can play your online BaP, threes, EASHL and building him would take about as long as getting to P1 (or since we have seasons now, you COULD make it to where a player can only advance his attributes so much per season) say in October you can only get to 70ovr. Your online BAP career difficulty would scale with your progression. In BAP you could buy the equipment you want (say you start with some hand-me-down stuff in your first showing on the pond.) I think I speak for EVERYONE when I say that the hockey bags are the WORST. I think I had about 100 unopened at the end of 20 opening these are tedious and most are filled with complete crap. These are just some ideas.. I could go on. honestly you could even add our BAP player to HUT if you wanted to push WoC players to HUT as evident from the HUT packs we get in milestone bags.

Honestly it's ok to find inspiration from games like 2k (which is obviously what you've done somewhat) 2k has found the BEST way to add both it's career mode and online mode/ progression all in one mode. Yes, they have a bigger player base but this is definitely possible in NHL if done correctly. Have people test crazy builds to see what can be abused in the player creation and try to find ways to balance things. It's not just a few people asking for this. 5,000 people is a really good sample size and when you see an 80/20 in favor of a change.. c'mon.

You say people wanted new dekes? Anywhere you see an 80/20 split of 5,000 asking for new dekes. I've creeped in these forms for a while and almost EVERYONE said NOT to add the lacrosse goal. We all KNEW it would be in though. The fans don't get listened to.
  • Doesn’t matter. Attribute pts. or trait system. EA games are built on the dynamic difficulty adjustment system. Your skill does not matter people. Bottom line is this is money making company. The devs don’t even have the control you think they have.
  • I can barely play 20 now that I’ve played 21. I went back to 18 from 19 just to compare and literally laughed at how poor the TPS skating was in 18 compared to RPM. I think everyone agrees there’s some little QoL things or creation suite things that we would’ve liked to see added, but the core skating and physics engine have changed so much more for the better over this generation.

The more powerful the game engines and whatnot, the more subtle the upgrades are. I think this generation was a tad underwhelming, but maybe that’s due to how much I overestimated the power of these consoles.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. 21 compared to 15 is barely comparable gameplay wise.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

Just the little things that probably take 2 minutes to add could make alot of people happy.

Welcome to NHL 2019 and 3 quarters. Such a disappointment. If EA would just do what the people ask for I'm pretty sure game sales would be go up and remain stable for years to come. You keep putting out the exact same stuff the more people are likely to leave .

Does anyone still, in this day and age, believe that a development team can create a new game in 1 year? In one year, you might have the equivalent of 1-3 patches.

If I was to define exactly what this is, I guess patch is not the right word...its much less than an expansion which takes years to develop, its more than one single patch...its basically a content update.

So essentially you had nhl 15, nhl 15.1, nhl 15.2, nhl 15.3, nhl 15.4...etc...etc.. And thats if you are generous and calling nhl 15 a new game which it most definitely wasnt. NHL 15 was basically an expansion to nhl 14....same bugs meaning same core code it just had new updated graphics and other stuff so it was more robust but far from a full new game.

So it boggles my mind that people still are willing to pay full price of a AAA title each year for a content update that most companies give for free, and some might charge like $5 for.

So yah...might be worth a consideration before investing further into this system that rewards nobody except EA execs. It doesnt reward the customer, it doesnt reward the employees who get crapped on all year....its only free money for the higher ups at EA.

My issue isn't that the game isn't a completely different game . My issue is the game plays almost the exact same even though the advertise for something new. Nothing has been added to EASHL in years. They ask for our feedback but refuse to change anything or take the feedback and use it.
  • Saying NHL 21 is the exact same as NHL 15 is just trolling.

Nobody can be serious about that and if they are serious - they don't know much about this game at all.
  • [quote="2021NHL2021;c-2162492"][quote="kezz123;c-2162308"][quote="2021NHL2021;d-264621"]Basically everything EA has done to this game over the last 4 years is Add things that could've just been patched in. They continue to put the Same game out year after year. If you Buy 21 basically all you're getting is 3-4 new dekes and stuff that was removed from the game and now put back in.

[/quote]

So yah...might be worth a consideration before investing further into this system that rewards nobody except EA execs. It doesnt reward the customer, it doesnt reward the employees who get crapped on all year....its only free money for the higher ups at EA. [/quote]

My issue isn't that the game isn't a completely different game . My issue is the game plays almost the exact same even though the advertise for something new. Nothing has been added to EASHL in years. They ask for our feedback but refuse to change anything or take the feedback and use it.[/quote]

I would also like to add that when you win you dont even feel like you won because of your skill. It feels like you won because of luck. From the gameplay, to the difference between the AI reactions and the response time it definitely feels like a patch for NHL 15. Any one calling it trolling has not been playing this franchise since the beginning. When you get scored on because the game forces you to either pass in the opposite direction then intended or the play you make goes in the wrong direction then what you actually were trying to do, you know there is something wrong with the game itself.