EA Forums - Banner

Thoughts on the Defensive Skill Stick for NHL 21?

Prev1
thegarden94
310 posts Member
edited October 20
Wondering how you guys feel about the Defensive Skill Stick in 21 ,in my opinion I think it's fine what are your guy's thought on it

EA_Blueberry: Added some minor text to post title
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

  • Poking with r1 is way faster, not to mention pressing and moving the right stick for DSS is just plain awkward.

    R1 and R3 have unique properties which baffles me - turn r1 into a new amd upgraded DSS and give me my dang R3 hip checks back
  • I like the change, as far as both tools having a different use/purpose. A more functional hip check would be swell, and a nice counter to the new deke, possibly.
  • A new hip check would be nice
  • I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?
  • It’s been improved since last year
  • It’s been improved since last year

    It just needs a minor adjustment ,as someone pointed out it sometimes goes through legs but yes it has improved
  • Janikka wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?

    That's not true, is it? I've received at least one tripping for extended stick, when opponent skated into it?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?

    That's not true, is it? I've received at least one tripping for extended stick, when opponent skated into it?

    I have only ever seen penalties from initiating the DSS in this game (because that initial extending of the stick is a poke check). Besides that, it's been Sweep City with no penalties whatsoever.
  • Janikka wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?

    That's not true, is it? I've received at least one tripping for extended stick, when opponent skated into it?

    I have only ever seen penalties from initiating the DSS in this game (because that initial extending of the stick is a poke check). Besides that, it's been Sweep City with no penalties whatsoever.

    basically when you "sweep" the stick into someones legs its assumed your stick bounced off their legs/skates.

    It was explained that, for a short time, its like your stick disappears once it hits a body part. So it is not longer effective. As long as you do not start the DSS directly between the legs.

    so no you can't just carry the puck into an active stick check without losing the puck and hoping for a trip. pretty much just like real hockey.

    DSS has been horribly weak since introduced. And poke checking has been pretty bad for awhile as well. Right now it feels very realistic and effective. Maybe the success rates need to be adjusted but thats about it. Anyone that is asking for more "tripping" in EA NHL series has lost their mind.

  • Janikka wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?

    That's not true, is it? I've received at least one tripping for extended stick, when opponent skated into it?

    I have only ever seen penalties from initiating the DSS in this game (because that initial extending of the stick is a poke check). Besides that, it's been Sweep City with no penalties whatsoever.

    basically when you "sweep" the stick into someones legs its assumed your stick bounced off their legs/skates.

    It was explained that, for a short time, its like your stick disappears once it hits a body part. So it is not longer effective. As long as you do not start the DSS directly between the legs.

    so no you can't just carry the puck into an active stick check without losing the puck and hoping for a trip. pretty much just like real hockey.

    DSS has been horribly weak since introduced. And poke checking has been pretty bad for awhile as well. Right now it feels very realistic and effective. Maybe the success rates need to be adjusted but thats about it. Anyone that is asking for more "tripping" in EA NHL series has lost their mind.

    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.
  • Janikka wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like how you absolutely cannot get a penalty with the DSS no matter what you do with it. You can only get a penalty when you initiate it since that counts as a poke check. Is this by design?

    That's not true, is it? I've received at least one tripping for extended stick, when opponent skated into it?

    I have only ever seen penalties from initiating the DSS in this game (because that initial extending of the stick is a poke check). Besides that, it's been Sweep City with no penalties whatsoever.

    basically when you "sweep" the stick into someones legs its assumed your stick bounced off their legs/skates.

    It was explained that, for a short time, its like your stick disappears once it hits a body part. So it is not longer effective. As long as you do not start the DSS directly between the legs.

    so no you can't just carry the puck into an active stick check without losing the puck and hoping for a trip. pretty much just like real hockey.

    DSS has been horribly weak since introduced. And poke checking has been pretty bad for awhile as well. Right now it feels very realistic and effective. Maybe the success rates need to be adjusted but thats about it. Anyone that is asking for more "tripping" in EA NHL series has lost their mind.

    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.

    yep... i think I have that right. Sounds right from what I've heard and definitely feels that way this year.
  • If this is true then I really like that tbh. Kinda makes the dss worth using more than ever before. I like that poke checks are more effective but it seems like they're extremely accurate no matter what your build. It seems a sniper and a grinder/ defensive defenseman has just as good of stuck checking. It would be nice if the accuracy and success of pokes had more to deal with your attributes.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    :|

    gtDoaSI.gif

    *using his best forum expert voice*

    Oh, thats because you were out of position, you should have stick lifted in that situation instead!

    In before it gets said for reals.
  • goalielivesmatte
    86 posts Member
    edited October 20
    jrago73 wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    :|

    gtDoaSI.gif

    *using his best forum expert voice*

    Oh, thats because you were out of position, you should have stick lifted in that situation instead!

    In before it gets said for reals.

    idk why they even have goalies and defecemen in this game now. just have 6 fowards on ice for both teams. just like in practice mode in 6s they force the defecemen to play as only forwards.
  • Wondering how you guys feel about the Defensive Skill Stick in 21 ,in my opinion I think it's fine what are your guy's thought on it

    Posted a few clips here of what I like, including some DSS love.
  • DSS is in a great state imo. Defense is actually fun and active again. The meta forcing you to play less zone defense and more on-puck defense in 6s is going to create a larger and much more enjoyable skill gap than 20. Gone are the days of “5 guys stand still in-front of the goalie” with screens affecting human goalies and pass interceptions while zoning getting a nerf. This is much much better. Night and day.
  • Sega82mega
    1922 posts Member
    edited October 20
    DSS is in a great state imo. Defense is actually fun and active again. The meta forcing you to play less zone defense and more on-puck defense in 6s is going to create a larger and much more enjoyable skill gap than 20. Gone are the days of “5 guys stand still in-front of the goalie” with screens affecting human goalies and pass interceptions while zoning getting a nerf. This is much much better. Night and day.

    I would say keep the poke and DSS 'exactly how it is BUT take more tripping calls, it would prevent people from' gambling/spamming, without really knowing if it will be a hit or not.

    This could open up the play abit more, if people startin to be a little bit more careful of when and how they use this excellent tool.

    * would also increase the skill gap and encourage to play solid defense.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    DSS is in a great state imo. Defense is actually fun and active again. The meta forcing you to play less zone defense and more on-puck defense in 6s is going to create a larger and much more enjoyable skill gap than 20. Gone are the days of “5 guys stand still in-front of the goalie” with screens affecting human goalies and pass interceptions while zoning getting a nerf. This is much much better. Night and day.

    I would say keep the poke and DSS 'exactly how it is BUT take more tripping calls, it would prevent people from' gambling/spamming, without really knowing if it will be a hit or not.

    This could open up the play abit more, if people startin to be a little bit more careful of when and how they use this excellent tool.

    I think the trips are great right now. When a puckhandler skates straight at a defender this year it actually feels like poke is the right answer. Unlike last year where nobody would poke while in perfect position because you knew it wasn't worth the risk.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    DSS is in a great state imo. Defense is actually fun and active again. The meta forcing you to play less zone defense and more on-puck defense in 6s is going to create a larger and much more enjoyable skill gap than 20. Gone are the days of “5 guys stand still in-front of the goalie” with screens affecting human goalies and pass interceptions while zoning getting a nerf. This is much much better. Night and day.

    I would say keep the poke and DSS 'exactly how it is BUT take more tripping calls, it would prevent people from' gambling/spamming, without really knowing if it will be a hit or not.

    This could open up the play abit more, if people startin to be a little bit more careful of when and how they use this excellent tool.

    * would also increase the skill gap and encourage to play solid defense.

    Hey we finally agree on pokechecking penalties this year! The only reason why I feel there could be more penalties with tripping (just slightly) is because poke checks are actually a bit too accurate (by a smidge) and some pokes I felt could be trips. I like the accuracy of the poke check because it forces a specific play style that I think is positive for the game though.

    Also L2 is not nearly as quick of an animation this year which was a big factor in the tripping penalties called in 20, so I think that also will help against the tripping calls.

    I love how defense now has a skill gap this year though because there isn't insane acceleration as in previous years so you have to use proper angling and stick work to be effective at the position. For the first year possibly ever I'm actually enjoying defense.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!