EA Forums - Banner

Online (and "offline") problems

Last year's game gave me a lot of problems but NHL 21 somehow feels even less responsive.

My in-game ping stays at a flat 23 or 24ms and yet the game is unplayable. Squad Battles are "offline" but they also feel sluggish. I was hoping that NHL 21 would be smoother but so far it's worse.

Replies

• Everybody always assumes the fat-man lag is caused by the internet. Is it really though, or is there something programmed in the game intentionally? Really makes ya wonder when you hear people saying that the problems show up in offline modes as well.
  • *Laughs in 80ms*

You can get less lag and a lower ping playing an open-world COD with 150 players. This thing just needs to render a rink and 12 players max. How freaking hard is it?
  • Oslik1000
    465 posts Member
    edited October 20
    Everybody always assumes the fat-man lag is caused by the internet. Is it really though, or is there something programmed in the game intentionally? Really makes ya wonder when you hear people saying that the problems show up in offline modes as well.

it is not about internet. it is only about servers "routing" . nothing else is doing ping delay.

"You can think of it as a fast lane on the internet. But players don’t have to pay for it"

yes it is cost. ea do not want pay for this technology more.
  • This is the first year that my connection goes from, good to fair to poor, to fair to good every single online game. Never had this problem with any other version.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    This is the first year that my connection goes from, good to fair to poor, to fair to good every single online game. Never had this problem with any other version.

The connection is tough for me this year. In 20 I was in the 40's. This year, it's double that.
  • Socair
    2493 posts Game Changer
    nyi95 wrote: »
    This is the first year that my connection goes from, good to fair to poor, to fair to good every single online game. Never had this problem with any other version.

You’re seeing that because the ping ranges were changed for what is good/fair/poor. Below 60ms is good, between 61-120ms is fair, 121ms+ is poor. Used to be that good included everything up to 100ms.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • nyi95
    129 posts Member
    Socair wrote: »

You’re seeing that because the ping ranges were changed for what is good/fair/poor. Below 60ms is good, between 61-120ms is fair, 121ms+ is poor. Used to be that good included everything up to 100ms.

Makes sense. I should have noticed and mentioned that it doesn't really affect the game at all. The game overall is better imo. Thx for the response.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »

Makes sense. I should have noticed and mentioned that it doesn't really affect the game at all. The game overall is better imo. Thx for the response.

I was going to say the same. In the lobby my connection may flash like a Christmas tree but in game I'm still a solid 30-40ms with no packet loss.
  • dezdarko
    8 posts New member
    I can safely say that from playing both online and offline the response time in the offline mode is worse. It has been like this since NHL 15.
  • I'm consistently around 62 ping. It kinda sucks haha. These servers definitely are not the greatest, but if you ever want to feel okay about them go play NBA 2k's servers and then you'll feel a lot better about your life haha
  • Don’t forget about the offline “game speed” glitch. It’s been with us since 2015. It randomly speeds up and slows down the game even though you have your custom sliders set and you didn’t touch them.
  • dezdarko wrote: »
    I can safely say that from playing both online and offline the response time in the offline mode is worse. It has been like this since NHL 15.

For me it's a lot worse in online matches. I mean I feel like I don't have control of my players and it kills the whole experience. But offline is bad too and that's just shocking to me.