EA Forums - Banner

Passinng and Interception

Prev1345
Ea can you up the interception rate? in a realistic way. Nhl 19 had good balance for passing. back in 19 You had to face the puck to trigger an interception animation. no 360 vision like last year either please... this year my guy looks at passes go trough without a pinch he looks brain dead... at least make him move at little even if its just a deflect on the pass.

About passing i remember back in nhl 14 when you couln't hold LT/L2 for long because the pass would have to much power for the receiving player to handle unless the receiving player had high hand eye. that made sense! since then hand eye is useless...

Renember my name ill post often. if you guys listen to me i can bring back the NHL glory. Be smart!

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    3559 posts EA Community Manager
    We've seen a lot of chatter around this in the forums. Bumping your post to get feedback from others in here.
  • CUBS
    18 posts Member
    It seems the nerf is to encourage more aggressive pursuit of the puck carrier. Which is fine and all I really like that we can do that in 21. But I don’t think it needs to be at the expensive of getting in the passing lane and taking away the carrier. You should be able to create a take away from both situations no sense in having a trade off. Also the ability to pivot to the puck at low speeds seems like the most mute point ever. When ever in a hockey have you had to get into a lane turn and face the puck square to successfully intercept a pass?
  • This 100% needs to happen. Its pretty abysmal how many pucks are going through guys right now. Skaters seem to be non existent in passing lanes but shots are hitting skates at an all time high.
  • It works just fine in the 6's community for the most part

• "I’d like to see a huge speed nerf in backhanded passes, also with those “hold it out to your backhand all the way then make a forehand pass behind your back somehow” passes too. I get that it might be hard or severely reduce the enjoyment/ease of playing to remove the later pass from the game, but those gotta be severely nerfed in speed and accuracy. Hitting at slow speed still isn’t great, especially when the boards are involved, but those are really the only three noticeable changes I see needing to be made atm. 21 is actually in a surprisingly good state right now"

Words from Bf1, thats all I have to "say" in this subject.

I like how much better passing feels, so much more effectively then 'coast to coast' runs.
  • CUBS wrote: »
    When ever in a hockey have you had to get into a lane turn and face the puck square to successfully intercept a pass?

This is a good point.

In '20 - one of the biggest gripes was players intercepting passes that they weren't even facing.

The current state of passing/interceptions may be in response to that issue.
  • CUBS
    18 posts Member
    [quote="Follisimo;c-2162556"]It works just fine in the 6's community for the most part[/quote]

I believe that’s a contributing factor. I mostly play 3s there’s a lot of rushing and trying to catch up the 2 on 1 breakup, its constant. It’s really defeating to catch up the rush cut the angle and be in position to watch the puck slide through. In 6s getting that pass opportunity is rare and hard to come by the easier interception becomes annoying on much more crowded Ice. It’s almost as if EA doesn’t realize the two modes don’t play well within the same static turner that adjusts across all modes as opposed separate and more dynamic tuners.
  • CUBS wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    It works just fine in the 6's community for the most part

I believe that’s a contributing factor. I mostly play 3s there’s a lot of rushing and trying to catch up the 2 on 1 breakup, its constant. It’s really defeating to catch up the rush cut the angle and be in position to watch the puck slide through. In 6s getting that pass opportunity is rare and hard to come by the easier interception becomes annoying on much more crowded Ice. It’s almost as if EA doesn’t realize the two modes don’t play well within the same static turner that adjusts across all modes as opposed separate and more dynamic tuners.

3's is meant to be a high scoring mode with little to no defense. Also I don't care for any mode other than 6's community. The rest aren't hockey to me.

• CUBS
    18 posts Member
    [quote="Follisimo;c-2162569"][quote="CUBS;c-2162561"][quote="Follisimo;c-2162556"]It works just fine in the 6's community for the most part[/quote]

I believe that’s a contributing factor. I mostly play 3s there’s a lot of rushing and trying to catch up the 2 on 1 breakup, its constant. It’s really defeating to catch up the rush cut the angle and be in position to watch the puck slide through. In 6s getting that pass opportunity is rare and hard to come by the easier interception becomes annoying on much more crowded Ice. It’s almost as if EA doesn’t realize the two modes don’t play well within the same static turner that adjusts across all modes as opposed separate and more dynamic tuners.[/quote]

3's is meant to be a high scoring mode with little to no defense. Also I don't care for any mode other than 6's community. The rest aren't hockey to me.[/quote]

I too only hockey my hockey. Just because it’s meant to be higher scoring doesn’t mean your not allowed to play proper defense. There are modes for multiple types of play the game needs to be tuned for even if it doesn’t apply to you. That would be like me saying they should break 6’s because 3’s is more fun.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited October 20
    You should not have to face a pass to intercept. Angles should be taken into consideration. If it is within the vision of your player, and is within the range of your stick, there should be an interception or disruption. Defensive awareness should be accounted for as well. No unrealistic grabs. All the talk about "passive" intercepts shouldn't be happening, but tell me how realistic is it that forwards zoom up the ice and perfectly receive laser passes each and every time. Or how the backhand pass is actually more accurate and FASTER than a forehand pass.
  • Here's LG's comments to EA on the subject.

- Pass intercepts are atrocious.

- Passes go right through people in clear position to grab the puck.

- A lot of passes do seem to go right through people even when they are facing the passer and in the passing lane

- Picking off passes just is not possible, it's not just cross creases, the max power cut passes get through every time and give guys speed when they catch it, when done right you cant defend it.

- Picking off passes is close to impossible.

- Passing seems broken. Feel like every “force” is going right through me.

- Just get rid of defense. 5 forwards. 5 skaters I should say. Actually having 2 dmen (and counting on them to shut down all game) is not going to exist.. or if it does they might as well not go past the neutral zone (One of my favorite comments).

- Puck interceptions and pickups seem genuinely impossible at times. Lots of forced cross creases and max power cut passes are going straight through you even when you're in perfect defensive positioning.

- Main thing for me is defensive pass interceptions ... if I’m looking at the puck, and it’s not sauced, and I’m a realistic distance away to react, I should intercept it.

- Pass interceptions also need a fix, I like what was done by making it easier to sneak a pass through defenders who aren't well positioned but it's way too much as a defender can be in a very good position and the puck still goes through them.
  • I'm not sure I agree with the LG crowd on this.

That entire community is so used to playing passive defense - they're seeing the consequences of that and not liking it.

I would like to see a SMALL buff to interceptions, but it's not "atrocious".
  • I'm not sure I agree with the LG crowd on this.

That entire community is so used to playing passive defense - they're seeing the consequences of that and not liking it.

Yup, complaining over cross creases is sort of the same way to admit you never really played defense.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with the LG crowd on this.

Yup, complaining over cross creases is sort of the same way to admit you never really played defense.

Except in 6's your teammate does play defense and forces a horrible pass by pressuring his guy...
    And said pass goes through your teammate, goes through you, but gets caught clean by the guy 2 inches behind you for a one timer.

It's not realistic and most importantly it's not earned. This is a case where defense has to do everything right AND have luck on their side just to get the outcome they EARNED vs. the offensive players who just panicked and mashed a forced pass using the crutch of interceptions being horrid.

This argument that being in a passing lane shouldn't hinder passes is just simply asinine. Make this case in any other sport, I'll wait...
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited October 21
    I'm so tired if this "passive defense" term already like taking away passing lanes is suddenly the wrong way to play D. It's not even worth responding to anymore.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with the LG crowd on this.

Except in 6's your teammate does play defense and forces a horrible pass by pressuring his guy...
    And said pass goes through your teammate, goes through you, but gets caught clean by the guy 2 inches behind you for a one timer.

It's not realistic and most importantly it's not earned. This is a case where defense has to do everything right AND have luck on their side just to get the outcome they EARNED vs. the offensive players who just panicked and mashed a forced pass using the crutch of interceptions being horrid.

This argument that being in a passing lane shouldn't hinder passes is just simply asinine. Make this case in any other sport, I'll wait...

Yeah I can't answer on that. I have to be boring and ask to see videos on how thats possible to happen. It depend so much this year how you angel/positioning the shots and pass, in theory you could think it would be enough to just 'be in the way' but it's more complex then that.

If the ice were just an field in infinite without any boundaries, I would defenetly say, if you are in the passing lane, you are, but beacuse we have a certain type of room to share on the ice and especially in one zone, of course we will come in the way of each other, but that dosent have to mean that the defender is acting correct acording to he's opponent.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I'm so tired if this "passive defense" term already like taking away passing lanes is suddenly the wrong way to play D. It's not even worth responding to anymore.

In NHL 21 it is more effective to attack the puck carrier than it use to be, so your complaint is somewhat valid, but if you rely on only intercepting passes as your only defense you are likely going to get burned.

In NHL 21 it is more effective to attack the puck carrier than it use to be, so your complaint is somewhat valid, but if you rely on only intercepting passes as your only defense you are likely going to get burned.

I'm not sure who on these forums that parades themselves as a decent D-man, only relies on intercepting passes. Again, I am speaking on purely a 6v6 perspective. From the time you opponent picks up the puck behind his net, to the time he's cycling in your zone, a D-man has already made 20 decisions on how to prepare for the attack, what he's doing during the attack, and what he's going to do prior to any given action. People are talking about active defense in 21 like it's a new thing, when in reality in 20, forcing incidental contact was the best way to play defense and break up plays. I posted 1001 clips on that in the 20 forums.

Position and anticipation are the BEST ways to play defense. Especially in your own zone. Especially when you take in consideration that with the lag, a forward has about a half-second step on you at all times. Ever see a forward left, right, left right, left right to try to get through the D? It works. It's hard to poke or DSS in these situations because he's giving you his legs most of the time. It's hard to hit, because the speed invokes the bubble and you as a D-man have none since there's very little gap.

I'm just trying to understand some of you guys telling me that being in the right place, at the right time, with the pass that's on the ice that I can clearly intercept should get me more burned that aggressively attacking the guy with the puck.
    I'm just trying to understand some of you guys telling me that being in the right place, at the right time, with the pass that's on the ice that I can clearly intercept should get me more burned that aggressively attacking the guy with the puck.

I am not asking this in a pretentious, "I don't believe you" kind of way but a genuine outreach for a specific example of this; Can you provide a capture of this exact scenario playing out?

You should not have to face a pass to intercept. Angles should be taken into consideration. If it is within the vision of your player, and is within the range of your stick, there should be an interception or disruption. Defensive awareness should be accounted for as well. No unrealistic grabs. All the talk about "passive" intercepts shouldn't be happening, but tell me how realistic is it that forwards zoom up the ice and perfectly receive laser passes each and every time. Or how the backhand pass is actually more accurate and FASTER than a forehand pass.

Wanting some offensive accountability and defensive accountability aren’t mutually exclusive. The offense 100% needs nerfs but we can’t ignore how easy playing defense was when you could literally just stand still from almost any angle in front of the net and expect an interception. The DSS works this year, there’s no reason for the strong-side Dman to NOT be forcing a pass to a relatively expected area (read: weakside defender should have more than enough awareness to get to the land, release LT, glide, get the puck).

I’m a full-time Dman, have been since EASHL was first a thing in 09, and I am not finding the state of interceptions to be literally unplayable atm. Tripping sensitivity made playing last year literally unplayable for me. Took no skill, didn’t involve doing much other than gliding and standing in the middle of the icee 99% of the time. This year, I find myself driving play, breaking up rushes in the NZ, attacking carrier like I haven’t been able to before, and getting interceptions when needed by following my simple rules to pass interceptions.

Trust me, the backhanded pass speeds and the backhand hold-out but forehand pass behind the back somehow passes drive me nuts. Those should be so much slower and less accurate than a proper forehand pass, but it doesn’t make the intercept change bad.

We have the skating ability and incidental contact ability to be effective on defense without needing to rely on auto animations as much as we did last year, unlike 14 where pass interceptions were nerfed and we all had to suffer a year of zero defense as TPS didn’t allow us to make the small adjustments required to play proper defense.

I’ve been a huge advocate of defense being an active participant in this board for many years. I share a lot of your beliefs on offensive nerfs, I wasn’t someone who said defense was in a good state last year, yet here I am saying how much fun I’m having in 21. All I’m saying is, switch up your approach a bit and give it a chance. I am seeing interceptions this year playing “zone” defense, it just has literally zero room for error when it comes to holding LT or making an adjustment. Keep that in mind, and I’m sure you’ll start seeing more consistent results.