EA Forums - Banner

I love it.

Replies

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    Okey, let's get it over with, I know it's never a popular opinion (god forbid) to say anything good about the game, so im gonna try to keep it short.

If you going to play this game like 20 you gonna be in alot of trouble. You do have to be alot more easy on the gas, (mark my word: just a tip) and push when you get the chance. If you forececk all the time, people gonna have alot of fun with you.

I played 4 games, not one singel cross crease was put behind my goalie, I did a couple thou, when my opponent's was way of in the defensive play.

Thats my next point, why people think defense have been nerfed can only mean you didn't play your own defense, if you let your AI play defense, that too, gonna mean trouble for you.

I could actually play hockey, move around the puck, and if no one bealive me when I say I played real hockey and it work, im happy to show you in a game.

When people startin to adapt to this years game, it's gonna be 70% more close to hockey then 20 was.

Easy with patch the game now, let this sink in for a while, then make a move.

Good work Dev team, it felt better then the test too! 👍

There you have it!

Yea, the game is great, tbh.

People complaining about being burned by their opponents' speed are simply not playing proper defense. I'll get yelled at by the hockey IQ people but playing defense in this game is far more realistic than it was in '20.

Yes, it can be frustrating to get overtaken by a forward that seemingly has ungodly speed - but the reality is that skilled players know how to generate enough unimpeded movements from the breakout, through the neutral zone to gather speed and momentum.

NOT recognizing this build-up of speed from the other team's breakout will result in you being burned.

So, thankfully, defense has not only become more about 'gap control' and 'spacing' and all the things the hockey IQ gods preach about - it's also about something the hockey IQ gods always fail to mention while writing their thesis on their personal views of how to play; you now have to READ the play developing in front of you while simultaneously keeping gap control plus being precise with your Defensive Skill Stick
    - which EA has nailed this year.... please don't cave to the kids who cry about it being "OP"

Which game you have been played? NHL 21 is full of bugs and glitches.. Be a pro has so many problems it's unbelievable how unfinished it is. Gameplay is basically the same than past many years.
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.

Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.

I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.

One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.

Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.

All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.

The rubout hits along the walls are a lot worse this year. That’s one of the biggest downgrades I’ve seen from 20 to 21. Fortunately, all of the upgrades have made that fact a lot less noticeable as my stick isn’t a lightsaber and the AI offline are actually fun to play against.

This series had grown really stale for me. Was losing hope. 21 was a great step in the right direction and actually has me excited for 22 on the next-gen.

Yeah I wish that could be more clean, but I guess it has to do with speed/weight/angels and so on..

Yeah I told you this one could be a winner hehe.. I hope they working on a patch that really would blow my mind.. It's not 100 but not that far away.

And yes, this mixed with next gen.. Ciao bella 😄

You were right my friend! Your optimism is looking great in hindsight!

*Haha, like! 🤓👍
  • refined98 wrote: »
    Which game you have been played? NHL 21 is full of bugs and glitches.. Be a pro has so many problems it's unbelievable how unfinished it is. Gameplay is basically the same than past many years.

Be a Pro in '21 is a huge change - and with huge changes come lots of bugs and glitches.

'21 BAP is a great start - I think it may take 2 or 3 releases (plus a console generation jump) to really become the mode we all want it to be. These things take time.

I do not agree that the gameplay is "basically the same than past many years".

There are differences. The sport you're playing is the same as it always has been and always will be. EA adds layers to that sport - and sometimes people notice those layers and sometimes people don't.

A lot of us do see these layers and appreciate them, for the most part.

Take a closer look - maybe play a game of NHL 19 or NHL 20, and then head back in to '21 and pay close attention - there's a lot of nuance there that changes year to year.
    I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.

Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.

I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.

One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.

Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.

All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.

The rubout hits along the walls are a lot worse this year. That’s one of the biggest downgrades I’ve seen from 20 to 21. Fortunately, all of the upgrades have made that fact a lot less noticeable as my stick isn’t a lightsaber and the AI offline are actually fun to play against.

This series had grown really stale for me. Was losing hope. 21 was a great step in the right direction and actually has me excited for 22 on the next-gen.

my last score 6:1 against Superstar AI. My d-mans are still free on blue line the same as nhl20. Have you any new sliders ?
  • > @Sega82mega said:
    > I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.
    >
    > Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.
    >
    > I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.
    >
    > One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.
    >
    > Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.
    >
    > All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.

I am finding your posts about your playstyle quite fascinating. Earlier in this thread I think that we sort of misunderstood each other. I am a patient defensive player like you, with the excepetion that I just want to press closer to the opponent's net if that is possible. I am also very happy to throw the puck to the net instead forcing myself into dangerous positions. My question is have you used or played around with the different control breakouts? These don't work perfectly, but they can certainly throw trapping opponent's game off. Just thought that it might suit your patient system.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »

my last score 6:1 against Superstar AI. My d-mans are still free on blue line the same as nhl20. Have you any new sliders ?

Yeah I have a set that I can post either tonight or tomorrow. As always, they revolve around setting the CPU strategies to make them a bit more aggressive. I’ve been enjoying offline a lot. Much better than 20 imo due to the AI pressure alone.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Zkibu wrote: »
    > @Sega82mega said:
    > I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.
    >
    > Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.
    >
    > I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.
    >
    > One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.
    >
    > Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.
    >
    > All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.

I am finding your posts about your playstyle quite fascinating. Earlier in this thread I think that we sort of misunderstood each other. I am a patient defensive player like you, with the excepetion that I just want to press closer to the opponent's net if that is possible. I am also very happy to throw the puck to the net instead forcing myself into dangerous positions. My question is have you used or played around with the different control breakouts? These don't work perfectly, but they can certainly throw trapping opponent's game off. Just thought that it might suit your patient system.

I always been patient, I like to gain puck possession, and I hate to just hustle.. No feeling in that.. If I see he's gonna reach me with a DSS from the side in the neatrul zone, I turn back..I try to play the puck from side to side, as wide as I can, to stretch out he's team, and play forwards that pass the puck right back.. Usally give me abit more room to work with.. And I like to do my breakouts on the same side of the rink, down to he's zone.

I play 1-2-2 aggressive forecheck, so that I don't need to chase so much, but other then that I have all defense in strategy, I stay wide with my wings, that area closest the board is good to find and in 21 it's easier then before.

But I try to mix as much as I can so I can take some surface by surprise.

Bank the puck behind your own net can confuse your opponent sometimes when your about to attack, switch side, fast.

But im usally no flashy player with using dekes, but this behind the net is good if you play behind the net as strategy in off zone.. Can give you a heavy pressure down in the corners.

How do you play, any good tip? 😊
  • There is something very satisfying in ability to shift the opponent's formation with vertical and back passes to create some space to the other side. That is like the Finnish and Swedish playbook 101. I tend to switch my forecheck systems between 1-2-2 agg and 2-3. My neutral zone system 1-2-2 blue or red. IMO if you find that opponent is breaking too easily from the boards. You can sort of counter that with 2-3 system with too players pressing from the strong side it forces the opponet shift the play to the weakside where your pointman is ready to pinch. Might be risky, but there is still your third forward and weakside defender securing the play. Are you using the conservative offensive pressure or even defend lead? I usually start with normal, and work out from there how the match is going. I suck with the dekes, although the new R1+L2 is very helpful.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »

Yeah I have a set that I can post either tonight or tomorrow. As always, they revolve around setting the CPU strategies to make them a bit more aggressive. I’ve been enjoying offline a lot. Much better than 20 imo due to the AI pressure alone.

Please do. Haven’t tryed any offline yet, but would be an honor to give it a go with your sliders.

You gonna create your own league and all in this game too?
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Zkibu wrote: »
    There is something very satisfying in ability to shift the opponent's formation with vertical and back passes to create some space to the other side. That is like the Finnish and Swedish playbook 101. I tend to switch my forecheck systems between 1-2-2 agg and 2-3. My neutral zone system 1-2-2 blue or red. IMO if you find that opponent is breaking too easily from the boards. You can sort of counter that with 2-3 system with too players pressing from the strong side it forces the opponet shift the play to the weakside where your pointman is ready to pinch. Might be risky, but there is still your third forward and weakside defender securing the play. Are you using the conservative offensive pressure or even defend lead? I usually start with normal, and work out from there how the match is going. I suck with the dekes, although the new R1+L2 is very helpful.

Fun to hear, sounds like we are same type of player. I go defend lead at the moment, but nothing is set to stone with my strategy, I change pretty much, dependent on how happy I am with my own play. But before 21 I didn't find diffrent strategies that importen, I hope it will become really importen!

I dangel pretty good with just left/right skill stick and im pretty decent on the skates. That combo + good puck movement can get you pretty far, without any special dekes.

* if you fall back with the D(backskate), with the puck and push easy left a couple of times, or right,(with the skillstick) but only one of them, it's importen, (2-4 times) with a little bit adjustment with L2. I find my player in much better balance,(it's like im straighten him up) so it gets easier to pass the puck. Good for the breakout in your own zone.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
    Oslik1000 wrote: »

Please do. Haven’t tryed any offline yet, but would be an honor to give it a go with your sliders.

Yep! Lowering the teams from 40 to 24 but also making 48 “teams” as each team will have 6 uniforms. Will be using exclusively play now mode as I find the sliders work best there. Will run the league in a similar format to RLCS where I have minor and major tournaments ended with a grand final. I’m also creating 8 lines of friends/family and 6 defensive parings which will have even/fair attributes and will be divided across the 24 teams, so each player will be on 12 teams.

I have 3 teams done (18 uniforms, 6 in-game teams) so far, but have been delayed by simply liking the game and playing online a lot more than last year due to a few buddies playing 3s and 6s. Need to get a move on as I’m loving my sliders already! Hopefully the patch didn’t mess up the way they feel!

Yep! Lowering the teams from 40 to 24 but also making 48 “teams” as each team will have 6 uniforms. Will be using exclusively play now mode as I find the sliders work best there. Will run the league in a similar format to RLCS where I have minor and major tournaments ended with a grand final. I’m also creating 8 lines of friends/family and 6 defensive parings which will have even/fair attributes and will be divided across the 24 teams, so each player will be on 12 teams.

I have 3 teams done (18 uniforms, 6 in-game teams) so far, but have been delayed by simply liking the game and playing online a lot more than last year due to a few buddies playing 3s and 6s. Need to get a move on as I’m loving my sliders already! Hopefully the patch didn’t mess up the way they feel!

Haha oh Jesus, sounds like a full time job, gotta admire that!

But thanks to the game being really solid, might be worth a little work.

😊👍

Haha oh Jesus, sounds like a full time job, gotta admire that!

But thanks to the game being really solid, might be worth a little work.

😊👍

I think it’ll be worth it. I’ll like playing as myself/friends/family and the 6 jersey thing will be sick. Also really excited for the format this year. Plus the game is good, it’ll definitely be worth it.
  • Im sure it will be. If it's not too much, I would love to see some of the jersey's and all that when your done. Put it in this forum section 'the film room', pretty please.. 😊
  • I read this from a user named shadow on reddit, if I understand right, he's has some kinda connection to EA and the game..

Quote:

I would like us to be able to comment on patches more directly (ie: confirming if one is in development, and what it would look to address), I will need to speak to the team more to see about how we can try and be more transparent. But right now they're something I can't comment on.

End quote.

That would be really good, but I dont know if it would work.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020

Im putting up this video to show a fun pretty easy way to play this game, my focus is always to keep it simpel and to play my position.(even when I got the puck). I will shot if I have to, to stay in good position.

Im the one in calgary away uniform, and the opponent play exactly the much same way as many do. So how I play against him, is defenetly working.

And in my opinion, my opponent is toooo aggressive, after my first goal, he takes a penalty call just beacuse he got too angry.. Keep calm and try to not always play the guy thats closest to the puck and attack with DSS and body hits.

I did reject a couple of cross creases and I got good backup from my AI that did a couple of turn overs in my favor.

And if you 'bealive' in my way of playing this game, then I would recommend to see this video and only focus on the player that I control. Dont look on him, or were the puck is.. Thats not importen.. Eventually he will come to my player I have in control.

I would say a key is to fall back and 'meet up/wait for' the opponent in the neutral zone, to then follow he's speed in to your own zone.

If this could help someone, im more then happy!
  • I don't want to be too mean Sega since you seem like a great guy but to but it simply, your style of playing is not a winning strategy. There's absolutely no question that there's way too much emphasis on speed and cross crease passes at this current stage of the game. Div 2 in rivals is yet again a skill zone fest because the cross crease is so powerful. I wouldn't necessarily mind that the cross crease pass is the best play but since everything else has been nerfed to oblivion It's pretty much the only play you have to actively defend against.

Then there's the obvious issue of overpowered cards like Lafleur and the annoying thing is that you can basically tell who is a pay2winner and who is not based on a few cards. A card like Lafleur should still be rare at this point but it's not in the upper divisions. For a guy like me who would like to enjoy the team building aspect of the game but still enjoy some fair competition that experience is already off the table.

• What the heck happened to offline play post-patch? Haven’t played an offline game since pre-patch and I thought I had perfect playing sliders, now it seems as if the neutral zone pressure was toned down and goalies now only give up the token cross-crease goals despite being on 0 reaction?

Could be the patch, could also just be the speed glitch sliders coming into play, but either way, terribly unimpressed and annoyed. Game played a lot closer to 20 again. Had time in the neutral zone, all goals only coming off the rush. I’ll keep playing around with it but this is why I hate patches as an offline main. Whether it’s placebo or actual changes, the speed glitch paired with inconsistent AI play can make nailing down a set nearly impossible.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    I don't want to be too mean Sega since you seem like a great guy but to but it simply, your style of playing is not a winning strategy. There's absolutely no question that there's way too much emphasis on speed and cross crease passes at this current stage of the game. Div 2 in rivals is yet again a skill zone fest because the cross crease is so powerful. I wouldn't necessarily mind that the cross crease pass is the best play but since everything else has been nerfed to oblivion It's pretty much the only play you have to actively defend against.

Then there's the obvious issue of overpowered cards like Lafleur and the annoying thing is that you can basically tell who is a pay2winner and who is not based on a few cards. A card like Lafleur should still be rare at this point but it's not in the upper divisions. For a guy like me who would like to enjoy the team building aspect of the game but still enjoy some fair competition that experience is already off the table.

Im close div 3 in rivals with a bunch of silver players on my team and I have made it that far with a pretty enjoying playstyle and winning games just by putting pucks at net and to stay on the right side of the rink.

Will se how it will go with even better opponent's. I know whats waiting.. Holding on to the puck just gliding put it on the backhand and hope for a 1timer. Im aware.

And what would you say a winning strategy exactly is? Just curious.

* But my main reason to show was not winning or losing, more a good way to defend the middle zone and your own, without to burst against the puck carrier all that you can or to be passiv defender.
  • refined98 wrote: »

Be a Pro in '21 is a huge change - and with huge changes come lots of bugs and glitches.

'21 BAP is a great start - I think it may take 2 or 3 releases (plus a console generation jump) to really become the mode we all want it to be. These things take time.

I do not agree that the gameplay is "basically the same than past many years".

There are differences. The sport you're playing is the same as it always has been and always will be. EA adds layers to that sport - and sometimes people notice those layers and sometimes people don't.

A lot of us do see these layers and appreciate them, for the most part.

Take a closer look - maybe play a game of NHL 19 or NHL 20, and then head back in to '21 and pay close attention - there's a lot of nuance there that changes year to year.

It's basically the same game with minor changes to gameplay. Worst part is that it has it's own problems on every release. Some weird glitches here and there.. The new BAP is great idea and been waited this type of depth to it but it's not working like released game should work. The whole conversation system is broken, game isn't tracking your achievements right, after rookie season game thinks you are an rookie forever. It's unplayable after one season.

If you sell you're game as an new game every year on and only minor changes on it (not to mention mods not working) you would expect the game modes would work like they should work. Many of us has been bought the game every year and we know it's not a "new game" but when modes not working it's just too much..