EA Forums - Banner

I love it.

Replies

• refined98 wrote: »
    refined98 wrote: »
    Which game you have been played? NHL 21 is full of bugs and glitches.. Be a pro has so many problems it's unbelievable how unfinished it is. Gameplay is basically the same than past many years.

Be a Pro in '21 is a huge change - and with huge changes come lots of bugs and glitches.

'21 BAP is a great start - I think it may take 2 or 3 releases (plus a console generation jump) to really become the mode we all want it to be. These things take time.

I do not agree that the gameplay is "basically the same than past many years".

There are differences. The sport you're playing is the same as it always has been and always will be. EA adds layers to that sport - and sometimes people notice those layers and sometimes people don't.

A lot of us do see these layers and appreciate them, for the most part.

Take a closer look - maybe play a game of NHL 19 or NHL 20, and then head back in to '21 and pay close attention - there's a lot of nuance there that changes year to year.

It's basically the same game with minor changes to gameplay. Worst part is that it has it's own problems on every release. Some weird glitches here and there.. The new BAP is great idea and been waited this type of depth to it but it's not working like released game should work. The whole conversation system is broken, game isn't tracking your achievements right, after rookie season game thinks you are an rookie forever. It's unplayable after one season.

If you sell you're game as an new game every year on and only minor changes on it (not to mention mods not working) you would expect the game modes would work like they should work. Many of us has been bought the game every year and we know it's not a "new game" but when modes not working it's just too much..

To be fair, what do you expect? They can't make a radically new game every year. First of all, it is hockey. Ice, skates, sticks. There are only so many ways to portray that. Second, this year the online meta is completely different. It actually requires some cool skills and intelligence. Lastly, they have a small budget and a small team. I have been a critic for the past 6 years as much as anyone but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes. I am not saying they are perfect and some of the stuff they do blows my mind but to imply this game is identical is not true.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Which game you have been played? NHL 21 is full of bugs and glitches.. Be a pro has so many problems it's unbelievable how unfinished it is. Gameplay is basically the same than past many years.

Be a Pro in '21 is a huge change - and with huge changes come lots of bugs and glitches.

'21 BAP is a great start - I think it may take 2 or 3 releases (plus a console generation jump) to really become the mode we all want it to be. These things take time.

There are differences. The sport you're playing is the same as it always has been and always will be. EA adds layers to that sport - and sometimes people notice those layers and sometimes people don't.

Take a closer look - maybe play a game of NHL 19 or NHL 20, and then head back in to '21 and pay close attention - there's a lot of nuance there that changes year to year.

It's basically the same game with minor changes to gameplay. Worst part is that it has it's own problems on every release. Some weird glitches here and there.. The new BAP is great idea and been waited this type of depth to it but it's not working like released game should work. The whole conversation system is broken, game isn't tracking your achievements right, after rookie season game thinks you are an rookie forever. It's unplayable after one season.

If you sell you're game as an new game every year on and only minor changes on it (not to mention mods not working) you would expect the game modes would work like they should work. Many of us has been bought the game every year and we know it's not a "new game" but when modes not working it's just too much..

To be fair, what do you expect? They can't make a radically new game every year. First of all, it is hockey. Ice, skates, sticks. There are only so many ways to portray that. Second, this year the online meta is completely different. It actually requires some cool skills and intelligence. Lastly, they have a small budget and a small team. I have been a critic for the past 6 years as much as anyone but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes. I am not saying they are perfect and some of the stuff they do blows my mind but to imply this game is identical is not true.

EA Vancouver has over 1300 employees, and they have made it a business strategy to charge 60-100 for their games that are arguably just annual updates. In additional for asking for full price+, the game heavily pushes microtransactions and lootbox philosophies. The annual development cycle hasn't worked for them in a long time and screams of doing the least about of development work, but seeking the most profit. Unfortunately, as the sole hockey game it will keep receiving profit for whatever they put out because fans have no choice. The low 70s on metacric is an accurate scoring for this year's game. To compare, SIE Studios have out out an annual offering of MLB with less than half of EAV's employees, is usually in the upper 80s for metacritic, and is as close to a true life representation of the game of baseball as you're going to get.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

EA Vancouver has over 1300 employees, and they have made it a business strategy to charge 60-100 for their games that are arguably just annual updates. In additional for asking for full price+, the game heavily pushes microtransactions and lootbox philosophies. The annual development cycle hasn't worked for them in a long time and screams of doing the least about of development work, but seeking the most profit. Unfortunately, as the sole hockey game it will keep receiving profit for whatever they put out because fans have no choice. The low 70s on metacric is an accurate scoring for this year's game. To compare, SIE Studios have out out an annual offering of MLB with less than half of EAV's employees, is usually in the upper 80s for metacritic, and is as close to a true life representation of the game of baseball.

I have been continually mystified why EA is so afraid to make a better, true life representation, to be honest. Games like The Show/NBA 2k do great and people buy them. It's not like they would lose half their customers.

With that said, it is a small market sport and we all know the uppers at EA probably do not prioritize NHL. I would imagine this game, specifically, needs as many casuals as they can get. If they lost the NHL Hitz, arcade players there is no way this game would survive. With that mentioned, there is no commitment to giving both options a try. Even offline with "sim" sliders and stuff, it is really hard to make this play like real hockey (in terms of movements, plays, strategies, etc.). The arcade style players outnumber the real hockey players, I would imagine. Hence why the minority gets the shaft.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I bealive no mather how good or bad game EA do, it never going to suit everyone. If a game stink, but you are the number 1 in that stinky game, I think you gonna like it anyway, cause winning is a drug. If they change the game to something better, more look a like hockey, and the same guy that was number 1, now is number 3000, that same guy would probebly not like the game the same way, cause losing suck.

For me, no mather how big or how small this EA team is, and how much or how little they sell, I like the fact the game getting better, I live for hockey, it's religion for me, I need something to play, I never become a pro myself, so im happy to play around in a hockey game and pretend it's hockey im playing. All tough it probebly never will be the real deal.. Thats why a NHL channel is good.

But thats me.. 😏

* anyway we all belong to each other in one way, from developers to player base, we're in for the hockey.
  • EA_Aljo
    2734 posts EA Community Manager
    TheMajjam wrote: »

EA Vancouver has over 1300 employees, and they have made it a business strategy to charge 60-100 for their games that are arguably just annual updates. In additional for asking for full price+, the game heavily pushes microtransactions and lootbox philosophies. The annual development cycle hasn't worked for them in a long time and screams of doing the least about of development work, but seeking the most profit. Unfortunately, as the sole hockey game it will keep receiving profit for whatever they put out because fans have no choice. The low 70s on metacric is an accurate scoring for this year's game. To compare, SIE Studios have out out an annual offering of MLB with less than half of EAV's employees, is usually in the upper 80s for metacritic, and is as close to a true life representation of the game of baseball as you're going to get.

That same office doesn't only develop the NHL series. FIFA and UFC are also developed there along with other titles. I get that you all feel the update is minimal, but I imagine there would be a much different feeling if everyone actually knew how much work goes into the annual release. The BaP update was a very big undertaking. Not to mention, the many gameplay updates that were included. You see a few new dekes and think that's all that was done. Even those few dekes require a tremendous amount of work. Now, include many gameplay updates and balancing, improving AI, adding a new mode to HUT, revamping the CR system and adding the new season format to WoC, Franchise Mode additions, as well as the numerous presentation changes and it, becomes a lot more than it seems. That's only scratching the surface. The dev team stays consistently busy year-round to create this game. There's a lot more work that goes into it than is realized. It's very easy to make these assumptions though. Especially if you have no experience in game development.
  • Is there a specific reason why a thread called "I love it." is stickied to the top of these forums, when there are glaring issues with this game? Just curious.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    I don't want to be too mean Sega since you seem like a great guy but to but it simply, your style of playing is not a winning strategy. There's absolutely no question that there's way too much emphasis on speed and cross crease passes at this current stage of the game. Div 2 in rivals is yet again a skill zone fest because the cross crease is so powerful. I wouldn't necessarily mind that the cross crease pass is the best play but since everything else has been nerfed to oblivion It's pretty much the only play you have to actively defend against.

Then there's the obvious issue of overpowered cards like Lafleur and the annoying thing is that you can basically tell who is a pay2winner and who is not based on a few cards. A card like Lafleur should still be rare at this point but it's not in the upper divisions. For a guy like me who would like to enjoy the team building aspect of the game but still enjoy some fair competition that experience is already off the table.

Im close div 3 in rivals with a bunch of silver players on my team and I have made it that far with a pretty enjoying playstyle and winning games just by putting pucks at net and to stay on the right side of the rink.

Will se how it will go with even better opponent's. I know whats waiting.. Holding on to the puck just gliding put it on the backhand and hope for a 1timer. Im aware.

And what would you say a winning strategy exactly is? Just curious.

* But my main reason to show was not winning or losing, more a good way to defend the middle zone and your own, without to burst against the puck carrier all that you can or to be passiv defender.

I know that your point wasn't really on how to win per se but I'm not the type of player to handicap myself and play 'real hockey' for the sake of having more fun. I expect the game to be fun to play competitively and reward a wide variety of different plays and that is even less the case at the moment than in NHL 20.

A winning strategy? If you don't want to count buying packs and spamming collectables until you get good enough players to skate past any defense as a legit strategy, it's practically the same as before just more exaggarated and without the constant L2 spam.

On offense spin in the corners or move the puck as long as you get the clean cross crease pass and never shoot the puck. Do not take shots from the point, ever.

On defense let the AI hound the puck carrier and avoid playing player v player defense at all costs. Stay in the slot and make sure your opponent can't get the pass through or skate into the middle. If the carrier makes himself vulnerable switch to the closest AI and make the correct defensive action.

On quick breakouts weave left and right or stick handle until you get the defender to overcommit and then hustle through. If your opp plays really passive, skate and pass around until you get the AI to go crazy and group up somewhere along the blueline and then you hustle through. Three high helps a lot.

On the neutral zone you without the puck you play the trap. Either 1-4 or 1-3-1 and preferably you play the lowest man on defense so you can face the carrier on the blueline.

If you're chasing the game switch to 2-3 forecheck and hope that your opp makes a mistake under pressure.

That's basically what I do most of the time and 90% of the goals I score at the moment are from cross crease one timers. It's monotonous and not particularly fun but it works. Obviously after that it's a matter of mechanical skill but that's how you should play the game if you want to win consistently.

• EA_Aljo wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »

That same office doesn't only develop the NHL series. FIFA and UFC are also developed there along with other titles. I get that you all feel the update is minimal, but I imagine there would be a much different feeling if everyone actually knew how much work goes into the annual release. The BaP update was a very big undertaking. Not to mention, the many gameplay updates that were included. You see a few new dekes and think that's all that was done. Even those few dekes require a tremendous amount of work. Now, include many gameplay updates and balancing, improving AI, adding a new mode to HUT, revamping the CR system and adding the new season format to WoC, Franchise Mode additions, as well as the numerous presentation changes and it, becomes a lot more than it seems. That's only scratching the surface. The dev team stays consistently busy year-round to create this game. There's a lot more work that goes into it than is realized. It's very easy to make these assumptions though. Especially if you have no experience in game development.

Thats what I mean, im probebly a way to sensetive guy, but I can think sometimes we go on way to hard on thoose few guys that actually - try- to give all of us hockey fans something to do, I love the commitment, and I understand we are all in for winning, but that the EA team on purpose would give us a bad game or that it is some kinda strategy to get customers is just strange to hear.

But deliver good criticism and I think no one would be happier then the team that develop this one and only hockey game we got. I dont think they are our enemies...
  • Juppo1996 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    I don't want to be too mean Sega since you seem like a great guy but to but it simply, your style of playing is not a winning strategy. There's absolutely no question that there's way too much emphasis on speed and cross crease passes at this current stage of the game. Div 2 in rivals is yet again a skill zone fest because the cross crease is so powerful. I wouldn't necessarily mind that the cross crease pass is the best play but since everything else has been nerfed to oblivion It's pretty much the only play you have to actively defend against.

Then there's the obvious issue of overpowered cards like Lafleur and the annoying thing is that you can basically tell who is a pay2winner and who is not based on a few cards. A card like Lafleur should still be rare at this point but it's not in the upper divisions. For a guy like me who would like to enjoy the team building aspect of the game but still enjoy some fair competition that experience is already off the table.

Im close div 3 in rivals with a bunch of silver players on my team and I have made it that far with a pretty enjoying playstyle and winning games just by putting pucks at net and to stay on the right side of the rink.

Will se how it will go with even better opponent's. I know whats waiting.. Holding on to the puck just gliding put it on the backhand and hope for a 1timer. Im aware.

And what would you say a winning strategy exactly is? Just curious.

* But my main reason to show was not winning or losing, more a good way to defend the middle zone and your own, without to burst against the puck carrier all that you can or to be passiv defender.

I know that your point wasn't really on how to win per se but I'm not the type of player to handicap myself and play 'real hockey' for the sake of having more fun. I expect the game to be fun to play competitively and reward a wide variety of different plays and that is even less the case at the moment than in NHL 20.

A winning strategy? If you don't want to count buying packs and spamming collectables until you get good enough players to skate past any defense as a legit strategy, it's practically the same as before just more exaggarated and without the constant L2 spam.

On offense spin in the corners or move the puck as long as you get the clean cross crease pass and never shoot the puck. Do not take shots from the point, ever.

On defense let the AI hound the puck carrier and avoid playing player v player defense at all costs. Stay in the slot and make sure your opponent can't get the pass through or skate into the middle. If the carrier makes himself vulnerable switch to the closest AI and make the correct defensive action.

On quick breakouts weave left and right or stick handle until you get the defender to overcommit and then hustle through. If your opp plays really passive, skate and pass around until you get the AI to go crazy and group up somewhere along the blueline and then you hustle through. Three high helps a lot.

On the neutral zone you without the puck you play the trap. Either 1-4 or 1-3-1 and preferably you play the lowest man on defense so you can face the carrier on the blueline.

If you're chasing the game switch to 2-3 forecheck and hope that your opp makes a mistake under pressure.

That's basically what I do most of the time and 90% of the goals I score at the moment are from cross crease one timers. It's monotonous and not particularly fun but it works. Obviously after that it's a matter of mechanical skill but that's how you should play the game if you want to win consistently.

Thank you for a good answer. And I agree. Thats the meta I have been played over 10 000k against the last 5 years, im tired to play against it, I can only imagine how boring it must be to play that way every game too..

But want it always be one way to work better then another?

I never do the really same goals, ofc this cross creases happen more then a slapshot from blue, but I never know how my next play will be. And if you play with a team you like and a way you like, it still will be competetive games, all tough it might be in 1 or 2 divisions lower, but still, you can at least like the way you win.
  • Why is this pinned when its just the same 2 guys replying how much they love this unbalanced game?
  • Why is this pinned when its just the same 2 guys replying how much they love this unbalanced game?

It's really not that bad. Definitely an improvement - a guy who despised NHL 20
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Why is this pinned when its just the same 2 guys replying how much they love this unbalanced game?

Go make your 1 million other thread starts about how much this game sucks, no one stoping you. Or do something else, maybe something that make you happy.
  • Is there a specific reason why a thread called "I love it." is stickied to the top of these forums, when there are glaring issues with this game? Just curious.

Let's discuss, thats why this forum is here, im with you, this game clearly not perfect.. But it absolutely have it's up side..

Whats this glaring issue you talking about? To begin with.. And how do you want the developers to solve this issue?
    Is there a specific reason why a thread called "I love it." is stickied to the top of these forums, when there are glaring issues with this game? Just curious.

Let's discuss, thats why this forum is here, im with you, this game clearly not perfect.. But it absolutely have it's up side..

Whats this glaring issue you talking about? To begin with.. And how do you want the developers to solve this issue?

Lol. Prepare an invoice to send to EA for this one, Sega. I can promise you that you do not want this job you are trying to troubleshoot.
    Is there a specific reason why a thread called "I love it." is stickied to the top of these forums, when there are glaring issues with this game? Just curious.

Lol. Prepare an invoice to send to EA for this one, Sega. I can promise you that you do not want this job you are trying to troubleshoot.

Hehe you might be right.. But it's so easy just to say, this stink..and then just leave it that way.. I dont see the point in that..

*- Hey, you stink!... Okey, but whyyy?... No you just do...

Ok......
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Hehe you might be right.. But it's so easy just to say, this stink..and then just leave it that way.. I dont see the point in that..

*- Hey, you stink!... Okey, but whyyy?... No you just do...

Ok......

I am curious myself. I hated 20 (shock of the century, I know) and have been liking 21. It has been an improvement for sure.

An impossible task haha...I’ll be firing up the 360 and plugging in some sliders for 2k10 this weekend after this whole NZ pressure issue I’ve just experienced. Also have NHL Hitz Pro on my dolphin emulater to fall back too. Want to utilize the creation suite we have in this game, but the gameplay just doesn’t want to let me.

An impossible task haha...I’ll be firing up the 360 and plugging in some sliders for 2k10 this weekend after this whole NZ pressure issue I’ve just experienced. Also have NHL Hitz Pro on my dolphin emulater to fall back too. Want to utilize the creation suite we have in this game, but the gameplay just doesn’t want to let me.

I read your post.. Thats not fun to read, I dont know whats going on there.. I hope you wake up tomarow and everything will be the '21' same..

I was just wondering why a thread like this is sticked, that's all.

I'm only gonna point out glaring issues for offline play, since I absolutely don't care about HUT and other online stuff.

- Neutral zone pressure is non-existent after the patch
    - Player editing is messed up (see defensemen ratings)
    - Goalie edits made in the main menu won't save when you start a franchise
    - Defensemen chemistry is messed up

Only to name a few.

So, at this point, starting a franchise is pointless.
  • I think juppo describe it pretty good for me.. What I dont like about this game, is the winning strategy, I hope EA come up with a way to completely change the book of rules.. I can tell.. It's getting harder and harder to play that way.. But it still the number one to go too.. But I have faith.